Adairs Employee Reviews

specialised customer service company
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Liverpool NSW21 September 2017
very clear directions from company on proceedures
visual merchandise standards update regulary
customer service mystery shops monthly
control of stock and ppromotions
team training
Pros
good quality products good reputation
Cons
lack of wages to complete job
Horrible place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Adelaide Airport SA28 March 2017
Nothing was good enough, because of crazy budgets everyone is cutting each others throats to get the sale no appreciation for any extra work you do, worst company I ever worked for!.
Pros
staff discounts on items
Cons
cut throat atmosphere, bad enviroment
Not recommended if you require work, life balance
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Western Australia5 September 2016
Full on no appreciation from top management you just cannot do enough they always want more. No team commitment or support.
Customers are usually fantastic and this part of the job was rewarding, You cannot take leave when required the company has red zones in which you are not allowed to take time off under any circumstances if you need time of for an important event you must resign in order to do so.These Red Zones get longer each year. If you require work life balance it does not exsist you MUST give everything to the company and receive no acknowledgement for doing so. You have personal budgets which causes friction between staff members there is a lot of sale stealing no team environment. Wouldn't recommend working for the company if you have a family.
Pros
cant think of any
Cons
you are just a number you cant have a family life or leave when required
Enjoyed it
Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Keysborough VIC5 July 2016
Enjoyed it but found the night shift difficult. The culture was good - people always welcoming, good facilities. Learnt stocktake.
Pros
People, free BBQs, the equipment, safety and set-up, facilities
Cons
Hours
Poorly managed workplace. Nastiness. Bullying. Rapid turnover because of unhappiness.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nunawading VIC14 June 2016
I loved the customers but found the work place one of nastiness, backbiting and bullying. I saw decent store managers leave in sheer frustration due to the lack of support they received and that there was no one they could go to when there was a problem because there were conflicts of interest and lack of a fair and understanding person above who would look at the situation without bias. Some store managers had no idea how to manage. The huge turnover of staff speaks volumes.
Pros
Great customers, some lovely work mates
Cons
Terrible treatment of staff, rule based, no understanding, no compassion, no work life balance
Not very good management at the time
Casual Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockingham WA7 June 2016
had great co workers the only one that let the team down was the manager at the time she constantly stole sales never allowed me to progress as i was a casual looking for permanent work, this person would always advertise for part time work and constantly criticised me for being a mother but no matter what hours I was given I always made it work and only just made ends meet, I loved the job before this particular person came to the store
the people were great to work with, just felt like at times there wasn't the support we needed
Labourer/Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Ferntree Gully VIC5 April 2016
Like i mentioned the people were great to work with, however at time you felt like the managers would say something you wanted to hear, instead of following through with what they say.
Work was always just go go go never stop
StorepersonTeamLeaderCustomerServicesLeadingHand (Former Employee) –  Scoresby VIC2 February 2016
first thing in the morning I would always turn up 30 minutes earlier then everyone else so I could run out the day be fore's stock that was taking up space in the isle, then I would get the paper work for the incoming trucks and container's and I would start to prep the work area, after I team meeting my boss would give me around 4 - 5 workers so I would be able to get the days work completed, then I would have to assign my workers to containers and show them how and what we where doing, then while they where taking all the stock out of the containers I would have to monitor and make sure it all came out correctly while also pick packing some order's, I would also take care of pick ups and drop offs, so everyday we would have customers come to the warehouse looking for the items they brought online and help them take it to there cars, I would also have to find the orders that where being dropped off at customers house's and make sure that all there orders where there and the right courier was taking it to the right place, then at the end of the day I would have to double check all the items that where taken out of the containers to make sure it match up with my paper work, then punch them into our system so that the forklift drivers would be able to put the items away into the shelving, then I would have to prep the area and get it all ready for the next day
Pros
i loved my job, it was fast paced, i had a good crew of workers, my boss always trusted me and never doubted me
Cons
The pay, i was being paid as a normally casual, they never put me on there books, so i couldnt earn sick leave holiday pay or any public holidays we had off i didnt get paid
fun place to work in
department coordinator (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, VIC9 November 2015
fun workplace-especially with team members from different
cultural background, we work well together as a team

has grown a lot in this company- given the daily challenges that need to resolve
Minimal training, poor management, terrible system.
Store person (Former Employee) –  Scoresby VIC3 November 2015
Adairs "upgraded" their system to the all new Microsoft Dynamics AX over twelve months ago. The system is riddled with bugs and very rarely does it operate without any hiccups. The training was very limited and I had to constantly figure things out on my own, something the managers never acknowledged.

Speaking of management; they would regularly contradict themselves, they were unable to keep their word, they lacked gratitude and they spent too much time looking at security camera footage.

The work was mind numbing and anything that could provide some sort of stimulation was banned.

The staff benefits are not benefits when you know the true value of their stock.

Issues with our wages were not uncommon. The Human Resources department even had the nerve to decrease my hourly rate without informing me as to why.

On the brighter side of things, the high staff turnaround meant that I was able to work alongside a lot of different people and meet some interesting characters.
Pros
Cons
Deceptive, lying and pretentious directors and managers.
great place to work
Forklift driver/Inwards goods/Dispatch/Pick & Pack (Former Employee) –  keysborough victoria12 September 2015
i really enjoyed working there awesome people to work for. they make you beleive in youself and all warehouse duties are wevenly spread out. very labour intensive but well worth it.
Pros
working all public holidays
Cons
no full time work
Supportive Management Team and Great Products
Casual Team Member (Current Employee) –  Fyshwick, ACT27 August 2015
Working as a Casual Team Member for the last 18 months I found my experience at Adairs a positive one. I am working with a good team of people and have learnt many new skills. I never thought I would be suitable to a sales role, but found that if the product is good quality, then it is quite easy to do your job, and very successfully.
The worst part about the role is I am only working as a casual and need more secure work. I found that I was falling between the cracks in the sense that I am too skilled for an assistant managers role, but not skilled enough for a management role. I am ready to make the jump, but at this stage there is no advancement opportunities available.
The one area that needs improvement from my perspective was that communication. There was a weekly newsletter which provided staff around the country with product information and staff updates, but there just seemed to be a break between some groups.
I have always loved working for a large company with a strong ethic, and found that comfort with Adairs.
Pros
Great products, benefits and discounts
Cons
Weekend work (most weekends) and inability to break in to full time work
you will feel like a number
sales (Former Employee) –  adairs29 May 2015
This company really needs to look at the way they treat their staff
This company lacks any flexibility, you will feel like a number.
Pros
Cons
bad staff managment
Lack of support and bad management
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Western Australia19 May 2015
The considerable work load is varied and stimulating and the products are of a good standard. The shops are well laid out and easy to work in.

However there is very little training or support provided on a day to day basis. after a few days you are left to fend for yourself. When you do get support it is often not in a productive manner. Some double standards are evident.

You only have to look at the staff turnover in the last 2 years to see that there is a problem.
Educational, fresh, new, creative place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Mittagong, NSW4 March 2014
Unpacking boxes, updating reports, training, freshening products up, re-stocking.
There was always a new product to learn about, a bed to iron, new homewares arriving.
A new sale to prepare, a roster to create, and customers to serve.
We pride ourselves in sales and commitment to the customer. We made the experience personal for them, introduced ourselves and helped them find what they needed or looking for, we created vision for them and allowed them to see their bedrooms in store and what would work for them.

I learnt to time manage, prioritise and utilise the team for their best skills.
Pros
Experience, personal development, enjoyable workplace.
Cons
Sales brought forward with no preparation time, unexpected changes, causing double handling.
nice boss
Bus cleaner (Former Employee) –  West Gosford, NSW11 November 2013
good fun work with cleaning buses and driving them. great boss.
Pros
Cons
short hours