Alcoa Employee Reviews

Well paid for working in very hot conditions
Level 7 Process Controller (Former Employee) –  Geelong VIC15 February 2017
As a process controller my duties included interacting with management, organising the work crews duties, and organising repairs to equipment in the case of breakdowns. I learned a lot about how to get the best out of people, mainly through being respectful and giving praise when it was due. Dealing with management on a daily basis I learnt a lot about meeting company requirements and targets. The hardest part of the job was coping with the extreme heat.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
working in extreme heat
Safe and reliable
Mechanical Fitter (Current Employee) –  Wagerup WA1 February 2017
Alcoa is a safe reliable workplace that has some interesting work and processes. I enjoy the challenges that my work presents and constant problem solving involved.
Trade area gave opportunity to build up skills in the instrument and electrical fields
Project Officer (Former Employee) –  Perth WA22 December 2016
I started as a single trade instrument tech. When the electrical and instrument trades combined the company gave the opportunity to train in a apprenticeship in the electrical trade. This opened an opportunity to be trained and train electricians in instrumentation.
Pros
Training opportunities
Cons
Work life balance not good
Good workplace hard managers
Maintenance Supervisor/Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Pinjarra WA9 December 2016
Work place is busy and interesting
Learned about mineral processing
management local managers are really hard to relate to
Most co workers are excellent
hardest part of the job was constant changing of my position unable to settle into a position as I kept being moved to assist other that where not capable of completing their tasks, putting up with local managers attitudes.
Excellent place to work, great staff
Smelter Shift Electrician (Former Employee) –  Pt Henry Geelong7 December 2016
Challenging work environment, heat, dust and many vehicles. Highly automated plant provided stimulating fault finding work. Improved my leadership and technical skills, most enjoyable was the relationship with coworkers
Pros
Good work hours, Good pay
Cons
Heat and fumes
my time in the casting section
Machine Operator/Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Yennora NSW20 June 2016
I started as an offside to the caster for about two years before being a caster. It is a hands on approach to learning to be a caster that makes it safe to operate. Working as a team is very important because we are working with molten metal at 700 degrees. At the end of the day walking out of work place and going home to my family safely.
A great company to work for.
Senior Laboratory Tester (Former Employee) –  Yennora NSW14 April 2016
They paid well and cared about their employees. Safety was always number one and they have a great work ethic. It is a shame they closed down their rolling operations in Australia chasing cheaper overheads in China.
Pros
Good wages, good super and good Management.
Cons
expect their workers to put in 100%.
Cape
Trade Assistant/Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Kwinana WA2 March 2016
Great place to work right mind set towards staff and other colleges, Safety was on point and management were great. wish I could go back to this job
Great bunch of guys to work with just a dangerous unhealthy environment
Crane Operator/Rigger (Current Employee) –  Kwinana, WA6 December 2015
very old and run down refinery. Safety standards are not up to scratch. Im looking for a cleaner environment to work in so i can go home safe to my family every day
Worked 12hr rotating shifts (day to night) in the casting plant. Loved my job and my crew
Senior Operator, OH&S crew rep, PEO member (Former Employee) –  Pt Henry, Geelong16 November 2015
Worked directly with molten aliminium across the whole process of the Ingot Mill as a senior operator. Every day was different due to production demands and skill sets. I was the only female operator on a crew of approx 20 and my crew are like my family and we still catch up regularly. The hardest part of my job was dealing with the extreme heat that radiated from the molten aluminium. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Alcoa and loved working in a team environment, loved shift work and enjoyed working closely with my crew and management to safely meet production targets.
Pros
Shift work
Cons
Heat from molten aluminium
Great Place to work, wish it didnt shut down !
APPRENTICE ELECTRICIAN (Former Employee) –  Geelong, VIC6 November 2015
Great place to work with good benefits and pay. job scope was wide spread and constantly changing. Able to move up in the system if desired and easy to work with fellow workmates. Extremely safe environment and fun place to work testing your abilities and work ethic at times
Pros
Work hours
Cons
No overtime
This is and will have been a fantastic experience
Shift Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ras Al Khair Eastern Provence Saudi Arabia11 August 2015
Alcoa is a great company to work for, I have been given opportunities that most people would never have in a lifetime.

My normal day consists of taking the Shift Operations Production Handover from Young up and coming Saudi Arabian, Indian and Jamaican Supervisors. Conducting the Shift Toolbox meeting and allocating tasks for the day. Discussing Safety topics, High Risk Tasks and previous shift EHS issues. The allocation and distribution of contract labor, Issuing Permits To Work, Hot Work Permits, Confined Space Entry Permits.
Liaising with Managers, Superintendents, Engineers and Control Room Technicians to ensure the Production targets are met through safe and legal means.
Training operators and Supervisors in general operations duties and Lock Out Tag Out procedures.

I am continually learning every day in this massive Aluminium Project the first of its kind in Saudi Arabia.

The management group are incredibly dynamic and supportive on daily basis.

My co workers are from 26 different countries making the experience all the more challenging and exciting and have made some life long friendships.

Saudi Arabia has an incredibly hot summer the Arabs call it The Ninety Days Of H... , the heat is the hardest part of the job.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the different nationalities of the people I work with and also seeing a Refinery been built from the ground up to a fully operational Alumina Refinery.
Pros
Good jym facilities and great food
Cons
Isolation and long hours
greast place to work
Lending Hand Operator (Former Employee) –  Pt Henry28 July 2015
In the potrooms I was the leading hand who supervised day to day shift operations with the Carbon Setting team and tapping crews.
I was a member of the auxillary fire fighting crews for my shift.
Was a great place to work
Operator in pre heats (Former Employee) –  Pt Henry, Geelong Vic21 July 2015
Spent all most 17 years at this company , enjoyed my time there and made some great friends.
My first day began in April 1998 on the hotline, as my skills progressed I was trained in other areas of the plant, of which I thougherly enjoyed.
Alcoa is a great place to work.
Laboratory Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pinjarra, WA17 June 2015
Alcoa is a very family orientated place of employment.
Alcoa is recognised as a leader in environment, health and safety within the mining industry and known to deliver best value and highest quality bauxite.
Alcoa value and focus on teamwork, transparency and respect in all of their workforce.
Learning the Bayer Liquor process of mining has been of great value to my career.
Pros
Great team of people to work with.
productive and fun company
Machine Operator / Tester (Former Employee) –  Yennora, NSW19 February 2015
Productive, good working overall condition in the company with continuous learning opportunity. Unfortunately with great competition in the global market.
Pros
productive, fun and continious learning
Cons
tough competetion in global market
Dynamic & exciting work environment with dedicated employees in a high risk workplace.
Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  Yennora, NSW19 January 2015
A typical day at work could be well structured as per plan or schedule or may require dynamic planning on investigations or safety alert follow ups.
My learning's in this role have been many, from confined space entry to detailed management system auditing, detailed investigations to failure modes and effects analysis, setting departmental EHS year plans to behavioural safety coaching in the moment or training in a class room situation right through to learning's on environmental monitoring to licensing agreements.
With a dedicated management hierarchy, challenges where met with well detailed planning, implementation and review.
With a great team environment with all striving for a dedicated outcome for the site, working with my peers was nearly always a pleasure.
The hardest part of the job was being on call 24/7. With a work crew on site 363 days a year on a 24hr basis, 2am wake up calls could be disruptive for a young family, but saying this, I found this is a better situation than walking into the day blind.
The most enjoyable part of the job was satisfaction in seeing plans implemented and achieving expectations, this was done through detailed target setting as per the directed site plan.
Pros
Strong safety culture
Cons
Old site requiring continual upkeep
If Alcoa hadn't closed down, I would have been happy to continue working there as a Receptionist
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Pt Henry, Moolap, Victoria22 November 2014
I felt the company was very professional and strictly followed Work Safety and OH &S principles with continued training in place for staff. There was a high level of respect among staff at all levels and I felt that work, family and life was well balanced.
great place to work overall
mill operator (Current Employee) –  point herny rd point henry ( near Moolap)19 November 2014
Great place to work, would have helped if some of the bosses and engineers listened to the guys on the floor with years of experience regard issues with the machines. Was a family company up till the last year once the shutdown was announced then it became a not so nice place to work. Made main life time friends and had many happy times there.
start the day with a toolbox meeting to discuss issues from previous shift, up coming work on the machines and any crew absenteeism. next head out to your machine and do preshift checks to ensure it was ok to run, talk to coworkers to see how the felt and how there machine is going. hardest part was when your machine broke down and large bits of aluminium got stuck in the mill and we had to man handle them out, most enjoyable part was producing quality coild hour after hour, shift after shift.
Pros
days off during the week
Cons
12 hour shift
A daily saftey meeting and then complete all designated jobs.
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  geelong, vic9 November 2014
A typical day at work would be everyone in the area would go to a safety meeting in the morning to talk about our jobs for the day and picking one of them jobs deemed to be the highest risk, or the high risk task of the day. The job would be discussed in greater detail and we would go through methods to lower the risk of that job.
We would also discuss any overnight issues and if something has happened to the bog equipment.
I would then go off and complete my jobs for the day.
At the end of each job I done I would go and see my tradesman and start my next job.
Pros
A+ saftey
Cons
some of the systems of alcoa were inefficent

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alcoa. Our community is ready to answer.