American Express

American Express Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
The perfect employer.
World Service Representative (Current Employee), Sydney, NSWMay 24, 2014
Everyday is different but with the warm and friendly environment provided to us it's never dull.
Co-Workers are well trained and always at hand should you need help.
Our cardmembers are loyal and always up for a good chat or just a call to check balances, either way we have built a nice rapport with them.
This was the worst place to work in my 13 year career.
Strategic Transactions & Business Development (Former Employee), Sydney, AustraliaMarch 24, 2012
Pros: decent work hours
Cons: culture based on fear, managers don't help close deals
A typical day involved update meetings with VPs, Directors and others who had no clue what it takes to close large strategic partnership transactions. My direct manager was the biggest roadblock of all. She had no understanding of the actual work or the ability to adjust the metrics to account for high level business development partnerships. The structure – more... was so messed up that co-workers weren't even incentivized to help close these commercial lending deals. The hardest part of the job was having to deal with my boss on a daily / weekly basis. I did take advantage of working from home which was much more productive than being in the office. The office environment was toxic. – less
Was Once a Great Company to Work For
Risk Manager (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 27, 2014
Pros: talented co-workers, salaries, work life balance
Cons: seeing talented people laid off, high cost of health care, and management that thinks they are above all others below them.
I worked 20+ years at American Express and loved my job accept the last few years as it is now all about surviving lay offs over and over again. Finally, I was laid off but did get a great severance package. Management is now about doing whatever they can to save their own job and may throw you under the bus if necessary. The hardest part of the job – more... is senior level management believing they are above anyone else and the increasingly super high cost of benefits. The salaries are great but check out the cost of benefits that can take a bite out of your salary. Again, for the most part I loved my tenure at American Express and if offered the right position reporting to a good manager I would love to go back as the people you work with are amazing. – less
Stressfull, but ok
Travel Counselor (Current Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 27, 2014
My co-workers are great, but ever since the company went virtual, they have changed everything
Loved working for American Express
Various Positions (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZSeptember 25, 2014
Loved working for this company. Began my career in 1981 in Plantation, FL. Worked in Computer Operations and was transferred to Phoenix, AZ when Computer Operations were consolidated into the facility in Phoenix. Worked in Computer Operations in various positions until I retired in June, 2003. My position was eliminated and I received a severance package.
Coaching and developing a team to drive results in the accounts they manage.
Director, Account Development (Former Employee), Gig Harbor, WASeptember 25, 2014
Pros: x
Cons: x
Great opportunity to manage good people and represent one of the most respected brands in the world.
A great place to grow and learn
Sales Manager / Financial Planner - Michigan (Former Employee), Portland, ORSeptember 23, 2014
Pros: cultivating leadership
Cons: many, many hours
A great culture, the day I chose to leave was one of the hardest days in my career.
Productive and excellent work environment
Help Desk Analyst (Current Employee), Markham, ONSeptember 22, 2014
AMEX is of the best fortune 500 company in the world. This company is been in the market over 160 years with consistent reputation. This company earned JD Power award more than 6 times for service excellence and it's goodwill for highest customer experience in the world.
Exciting
International Travel Counselor (Former Employee), Houston, TXSeptember 21, 2014
Travel is a passion.
I really enjoyed travel. I enjoyed booking and learning new destinations.
American Express Bank
Credit Officer American Express Bank (Former Employee), Duesseldorf GermanySeptember 21, 2014
Credit officer for companies in Northern Germany from
Duesseldorf Cologne to Hamburg when I got the promotion to go to London my father called me to his business in Erlangen Bavaria
ok
Telephone Service Center Associate (Current Employee), toronto onSeptember 20, 2014
call center professional performing verity of duties of call center
Stable company that I've worked for for almost 20 years
Instructional Designer, May (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: just sold 50% of my department to another company
I started with the company as a travel consultant, then moved to a Training Specialist and now have been doing Instructional Design work.
Insecure - prone to constant change
Worker (Former Employee), BrightonSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: comfortable office
Cons: surprise reorganizations
For a number of years American Express Network Development (ND) later called “Digital Merchant Servicing (DMS)” has seen repeated reorganizations or “transformations” with changes of strategy and then reversals of those changes of strategy. These reorganizations have had a significant impact upon employment - especially upon contract/agency workers.

On – more... the whole, the uncertainty in this environment is a significant issue to employment. – less
Goals driven environment with 100% diversity in staffing. Customer experience and sales expectations imperative
Call Centre Team Leader (Former Employee), Markham, OntSeptember 17, 2014
Pros: job satisfaction, bonus system and working with great individuals
Cons: can't say that i would have any cons as 'long hours' eventually lead to job satisfaction, my number one motivator!
I was able to use my extensive knowledge to build teams, coached, trained and developed staff members, solve customer service and staff issues in a positive successful manner. I developed new processes to use as a guide for the Future Leader process and I maintained a positive outlook to all concerns, monthly changes in direction and an overall 'will – more... to win' mentality.

Working with others and 'leading by example' has always been a personal asset that I have and it my greatest motivation to achieve and exceed goals and see individuals reach their potential. – less
Solid and employee oriented environment.
SENIOR MANAGER, CARD BONUSING GOVERNANCE (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 16, 2014
Great organization to work for, positive environment and team oriented. Very meeting focused. Some systems are outdated but there is work being done to make them more integrated and streamlined. Fairly aggressive about movement of staff into other positions.
Financial planning company giving support in a positive team culture.
Financial Advisor/New Advisor Leader (Former Employee), Lexington, KYSeptember 16, 2014
Worked with individuals and business in financial planning and analysis, as well as investment advisory work. Designed and implemented marketing programs for client acquisition and customer service management. Project management. Managed and mentored new advisors. Designed and taught classes for financial analysis and client marketing.
Great Training
Travel Counselor (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: training is thorough and in depth
Cons: schedule - it is a call center so not much room for flexibility
I have had the opportunity to work for American Express on two occasions. Both offered complete training and a culture of success. There goal was to help you succeed in all aspects with American Express. They were committed to your well being..
Productive and fun place to work
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee), Plantation, FLSeptember 13, 2014
Pros: cafeteria, health care benefits, exercise classes
Cons: short breaks
Excellent company to work for with the job training and knowldege provided. Customer Service is top of the line.
Great Place to Work but beware of revolving door
Travel Counselor (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 11, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: perfection
Worked here for 2 years was going great until brand new manager took over whom was new to the managerial role. Seems forced to prove themselves worthy of position by micro managing.
Great Company with Great Values
Customer Experience and Sales Enablement (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 10, 2014
Working at Amex has been excellent for my career development

1 2 3 4 5

About American Express

Each day, American Express makes it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they – Read more

American Express Photos