American Express Employee Reviews

busy but friendly environment to work for
Reconciliations Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW8 November 2017
I was there as a contractor and I have my own set allocated tasks to do. My responsibility was to reconcile of Amex 2 Traveller Cheques, Sales & Cash on Hand Accounts, liaised with Finance team in India to investigate, solve problem transactions and followed up on outstanding payments of Amex 2.
Pros
a very good manager
Cons
Great forward thinking and innovative workplace.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydney Central Business District NSW7 November 2017
Everything is good.

Good work life balance.

Rewarding work.

Diversity is embraced.

Great management.

Able to be 'yourself' at work.

Zero complaints.
Pros
see above.
Cons
salary could be better.
American Express
Senior Business Architect (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW2 November 2017
I worked for American Express for quite a few years and the lasting impression I have taken away is that although it was far from perfect it provided me with many opportunities to advance my career and provided a work environment where I felt I could make an effective contribution.
Inclusive culture
FX Trader (Former Employee) –  Sydney Central Business District NSW15 October 2017
Good organization to work for. Career progression and new opportunities available. Good work-life balance. Felt remuneration was below market but opportunities provided did make up for this.
Great workplace culture
Foreign Currency Specialist (Former Employee) –  Loganholme QLD8 October 2017
The American Express team were awesome to work with. The management was flexible and approachable and supported work and life style balance.

Team members were given support and were trusted to carry out their responsibilities without being micro managed.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Working Saturdays
Very political
Client Manager (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC3 October 2017
Very political. I don't believe the culture of the company fosters a healthy environment. In my opinion there is also a huge lack of integrity within the management team going all the way to the top.
fun Work place
CREDIT ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW3 October 2017
Nice place to work. Was on a part time job but enjoyed the atmosphere. Promotion opportunity was very good.

Targets were also not very high and were very genuine.
Cons
timing was odd
Head of Collections ANZ (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW4 September 2017
Amex has a fantastic work culture and very employee focussed.

Management is good, but a little lean on-shore in Australia. Amex is very global and matrixes and reporting lines can be outside of Australia. The global nature of Amex can mean that evening conference calls can become very frequent, and therefore a flexible approach to work is needed.
Fun place to work and computers were such that we could speak to staff at all branches if need be.
Administration/Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  West Perth WA16 August 2017
Brilliant place to work , always kept busy and I loved the customer interaction.

Sales Manger was always available to help incase of emergency.

Family life emergency were always put first.
Pros
staff benefits were fantastic
Cons
stores closing across australia which has left us all without a job
Relaxed atmosphere with all staff treated equaly and fairly
Foreign Exchange Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA15 August 2017
Great working conditions, management trusted you to go about your own day to day duties without looking over your shoulders.
Those who chose to go above others and work hard to reach or at least show initiative to obtain KPI's were rewarded at the end of year with compensation packages.
Very good place to work in comparison to most financial companies
Account Development Executive (Former Employee) –  Sydney Central Business District NSW14 August 2017
AMEX encourage work/life balance. Good working culture. Flexible working environment. Goal driven management. Generally friendly work place.
Good office location.
Pros
Good culture and salary package
Cons
Being international firm, always chance of offshoring local roles.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC7 August 2017
Great work culture that allows you to bring your best to work everyday. Company is willing to invest in your growth and opportunities to migrate to international locations are available.
Challenging and Rewarding
Foreign Exchange Specialist (Former Employee) –  Perh WA6 August 2017
Enjoyable but very challenging.Meeting new people and develop a good relationship, trust and showing good rapport with customers in my job I learned they will come back to me to transact their transaction again. American Express is a Multi cultural company that support their staff.The challenging part of my job is to be able to win every possible deals which become the enjoyable part of my job if you closed the deal.
Pros
Get rewarded
Cons
Lack of staff
Great Company
Administration Assistant/Forex Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mandurah WA22 July 2017
American Express is really a Employers of Choice company. I am sure every employee would love to work with a company like American Express.

It provided great working hours and with a complete Work life balance.

Not only the colleagues were great but the entire work culture was really awesome.
Pros
Great Work culture
workplace
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sydney Australia21 July 2017
American express was a great company to work for. i was surrounded by great people everyday and i very much enjoyed going to work. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to speak to different people everyday and being able to help them with the queries.
Pros
work colleges
joyfull
Automation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Perth, Australia19 July 2017
The management people are so helpful to learn new things and supportive.I enjoyed a lot with work and this experience helpful to my future. i improved my skills.
Relaxed and Great Workplace
Corporate Servicing, Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW27 June 2017
I extremely enjoyed my time working at American Express. I found the work to lifestyle balance to be brilliant and extremely flexible. I also found the job role to be ever changing which ensured you would not get bored with the same workload. Overall a brilliant company to work for.
Pros
Healthy living walks. No weekend hours.
Marketing Communication Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW21 June 2017
Overall good place to work.
Good People
Lot of opportunities to move within the organization
Strong work equality
Supporting gay and lesbian
Lot of Training is provided to employees
Fast paced environment with no room for errors
Corporate Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Perth WA20 June 2017
Great job and a great team.
Typical day at work would be long and non stop.
Management was great and listened to what you had to say.
Hardest part of the job was dealing with demanding clients but you just had to put on a smile and do everything you could to make them happy.
Great perks in the job including discounted travel.
Pros
Providing great customer service that impresses people
Cons
A lot of unpaid overtime
An amazing organisation
Sales (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW28 May 2017
The culture, the people, the environment is wonderful in every way. A culture of employee diversity and customer centricity is front of mind when servicing customers and developing employees, which in turn drives shareholder value.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Express. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2