American Express

American Express Employee Reviews

Great place to work friendly people, very long hours though
Senior System Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pyrmont NSW8 May 2016
Basic perks of the job are responsibility and security, global business with much advancement opportunity when they are not downsizing
If you ambitious, go for it
Fraud Prevention Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW29 March 2016
These days any job are not secure, however working for large corporate you feel more that one day my day to be redundant.
However, very diverse talent out there.
Fun workplace, great work/life balance, friendly and supportive place to be.
Business Planning Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pyrmont NSW21 February 2016
Great people to work with, very supportive and career driven.
Leadership teams are great and plenty of career path advancement.
Very comfortable environment
Internal Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  12 Shelley st, Sydney18 February 2016
The company is very employee oriented and has the best environment, such as equal opportunity , health benefits, great training program and employee performance incentives. It has been the best place to work.
Pros
Leadership surveys
Challenging but fun & enjoyable workplace.
Client Services Representative (DJ & BTA) (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSW19 January 2016
Regular hours and great colleagues meant going to work wasn't a chore it was enjoyable.
My co-workers became my friends, and the management were also people you could easily approach & talk to.
The hardest part of the job was learning the different, unique systems, but once I got to know them they became easy.
The most enjoyable part of the job was achieving results, and getting positive remarks from customers & clients.
Pros
Great work environment.
Cons
Only a temporary job.
Best place to work
SALES EXCEUTIVE (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NSW17 November 2015
It is the company's policies to make sure all the staff are respected and treated without prejudice.It has the best encouragement and development plan for all .Have a great fun team and support system to assit each other. It is about numbers but the way to accomplish is fantastic.Lots of positive energy from management.
Pros
Treatment of each staff
Cons
nothing major for mentioning
Fun workeplace
International Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Pertj24 October 2015
Book International and Domectic travel for corporate travellers, VIP's and crew changes.
Perth Global Supplier Relations Ambassador Liaise with American Express preferred Airline, Hotel and Car Hire Representatives to schedule them to come into the office throughout the year to update consultants on their product.
Liaise with American Express workforce management to schedule consultants for supplier update sessions.
Ensure Sales and Client Management are aware of Supplier Update Calender so they can also benefit from new information and meet contacts.
Ensure supplier updates run to schedule and report on feedback from Supplier Representatives and American Express staff.
Pros
Travel perks
Cons
working public holidays
Productive work place
Foreign Exchange Specialist (Customer Service) (Current Employee) –  St Ives, NSW10 September 2015
I learnt a lot while working in American Express. Higher management is co-operative, understanding and helpful.

I am working in this company for the last one and half year and in during this time I developed good relationship with my management and I was also nominated as employee of the month.
Pros
Management is very helpful
Best in class people and culture
Regional Manager, Performance and Capabilities (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSW26 August 2015
Varied work assignments with real opportunities for career advancement.

Supportive management and engaged intelligent coworkers.
Pros
Salary & Benefits, Flexible Working Arrangement, Brand, Culture
Cons
Frequent restructuring and reorganization
Loyal employee with over 25 years of experience in customer service
Corporate Credit Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sydney20 August 2015
As I was at American Express for over 25 years a typical day for me would involve making sure the department had enough staff to manage the amount of incoming calls, whilst still being able to handle other tasks such as outbound calls and emails etc.

My role has changed over the years at American Express so I have had to learn and teach and implement new system, as well as setting up new departments and the hiring on new staff.

As a Team Leader at American Express it was important that I kept my manager informed of any charges or trends affecting the business, as well as positive customer feedback.

I am a very strong team player and I believe it is vital to the running of any business. I am also a loyal employee as I have been with American Express since 1989.

It's a challange to managing staff personalities and allow them to flourish in a team work environment. As everyone has their own personality and will not always get along with everyone else, sometimes this is the challaning part.

I really enjoy being able to challange myself in the workplace. I do not mind taking on extra work and responsabilities. I also take great pride in my work.
An exciting caring and motivational workplace which encourages employees to realise their potential and go above and beyond
New Accounts Analyst (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW14 July 2015
A typical day at work consists of completing my assigned work, going above and beyond and assisting my colleagues, sharing my knowledge and expertise.
The hardest part of my job is smiling after a difficult telephone call and talking in a happy manner to the next customer.
The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing a satisfied happy customer.
getting knowledge in dealing with different kind of people from different cultures
Concierge (Current Employee) –  Shelley Street Sydney29 June 2015
customer service is the back bone of any business. Being a concierge at one of the best corporate bank .I got the opportunity to learn skills in customer service in best corporate business.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
good hours
great culture
ACQUISITION MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NSW13 May 2015
Large market Clients with revenues over $300M and a typical long and strategic sales cycle. Typical day involved seeing clients, preparing documents, implementation of ERP and cash flow solutions. loved the customer interaction
It has been a wonderful 3 years in this role which gave me a huge exposure to bank partners/clients in Asia Pacific and ANZ region
Relationship Manager/BDM Manager Role (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSW6 May 2015
• Added 3 new deals in the region and re-negotiate to direct ATM traffic to Amex Network, which increased the overall turnover by USD 6.5 Mil in 2014.
• Developed effective network partner/client relationships with the designated Business Partner of each business Amex worked with globally. Previously these business relationships had not been effectively developed.
• Leveraged my relationship building skills to identify areas where American Express could work more effectively including the resolution of solutions.
• Developed a list of ATM locations for use by Amex customers which was not previously available. This required me to contact each client bank in locations in 21 markets and communicate effectively with the client to obtain their willingness to provide this information.
• Recognised by the business for my ability to establish excellent client relationships in my region by my manager when I was requested to develop a procedure to be used across the Americas and Europe outlining the method which I had used to establish this for JAPA.
• Successfully project managed and integrate/roll-out changes to policy, process and technology that impact Partners (Global Authorisation Network Platform Migration and EMV ATM upgrades with Partners).
Lead the Amex ATM EMV upgrades in Hong Kong, Malaysia, Macau and Singapore.
The world's most respected Brand
Senior Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Pyrmont, Sydney22 February 2015
Working for American Express for 11 years, gave me an opportunity to enjoy working for a Company that values their clients and customers, and also supports their staff. I learned to build relationship care with clients and team mates, and also improving skills of customer service, resolving disputes and being able to find solutions for clients. Management were always available, from Managers to Call Centre Manager, we always knew they were there if we needed to talk or discuss challenges.
co- workers always make life interesting and also help build you when you need it, we all go through the same challenges its how we face them that make us who we are. this was also the most enjoyable part of the job.
The hardest part of the job, was leaving, after 11 years the challenge isnt there anymore and new challenges and journeys need to be found.
Pros
co-workers, training
Cons
losing night shift, jobs going off shore
Taking a market that is fairly new to a level where it can operate on its own operational expense resulting from exceeding revenues.
Head of FXIP New Zealand (Current Employee) –  Ellerslie, N14 February 2015
As head od the New Zealand market it was my role to ensure the environment was productive and fun. an environment where staff wanted to succeed in.
A typical day would start with team interaction, followed by client visits, and aside from the leadership meetings, my day was filled with strategic planning for the market.
The most enjoyable part of my role was the autonomy I had to initiate and implement process improvement to increase share of wallet and overall profit margins.
Satisfaction
Supervisor and team leader of credit analysts (Former Employee) –  Sydney, Australia9 February 2015
Global, large place to work.
Possibility to increase skills and knowledge.
Great job culture and respect.
Company allow breaks during the day.
Multi Culture and flexible working environment
Project Analyst, Production Capability Team (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSW14 October 2014
I mostly worked during day time. Was flexible to deal and attend international conference with business partner out of working hours to meet different time zone in worldwide.

I have learned comprehensive business analysis skills, multi functional project management skills, people leadership skills and variety project handling methodology.

I have managed multi projects across the market and function globally. I used to manage a team as team leader to achieve highest performance in the organisation.

The hardest part of the job was peoples leader as team members all came from different background.

My most enjoyable part of the job was to implement my handled project in place successfully and to see my customers were happy with them.
Working with Centurion Card holders in planning every aspect of their holiday or business trip. This role diversified looking after a relief team.
Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW9 October 2014
My passion is working with people and this allowed you to work with people to make a business trip arrangement from the car picking them up at home, express checkin at the airport, accommodation, meetings and anything to make the ease of conducting business overseas. This went to the other end of luxurious travel to all reaches of the world. Every day was unique and challenging.

It was identified through customer feed back that when an analyst went on leave no-one picked up the file and tours etc were not followed up and therefore cancelled. I looked after a relief team where I scheduled coverage for anyone on prolonged sick leave or annual leave. Feedback was good and left the consultant and the client very satisfied that a seemless transition took place. It made them feel more of an individual and not a number. Regular training was always held to ensure excellent customer experiences provided.

This included various shifts and weekends. Unfortunately due to the economic environment commissions were decreased and more competitive enviroment.
Pros
Working with people on dream holidays
Cons
Heavily regemented, micro managed and very commision orientated
Account management and 2IC
Business Account Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pyrmont NSW9 October 2014
This area worked with clients accounts where travel related expenses were charged to their account. We each had a portfolio which we ensured the accounts were up to date, customer satisfaction maintained along with payment related duties eg allocations, chasing payments, reconciling and following up disputes. Unfortunately a team of 42 was reduced to aprox 20 and non customer contact related functions sent off shore. My role changed and due to internal issues I was provided an opportunity to look after an offshore team, providing training, coaching and quality assurance. I worked very closely with management building the team and creating trust between the local and offshore team. I had a great team leader where I take my inspiration and hold as a role model.

I moved to Foreign Exchange as I was given an opportunity to create a new team in Australia due to a growing industry. It also entailed an offshore division in the future.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Limited growth in this area

4.2