Australian Department of Defence Employee Reviews

A very high stress environment
Maintenace supervisor (Current Employee) –  Darwin14 November 2017
Maintenance planning
Managing people
Reporting on people and safety
Conducting maintenance
Keeping the group of peoples fitness to a high standard
Travelling anywhere for work at a moments notice
Pros
secure competitive pay
Cons
high stress
Great lifestyle
Soldier (Former Employee) –  Rigger/ linesman7 August 2017
Best lifestyle highly recommended for all young people that have no direction work travel and be fit and payed for it all where else can you do that free medical and dental also
Pros
Travel
Cons
Going to war
Professional
Aircraft spares assessor (Current Employee) –  Oakey QLD24 July 2017
My current role is of a professional nature with a good group of people. It involves searching for and assessing suitability of aircraft parts and GSE.
Pros
Good group of workers
Cons
Desk Job
Trainee (Former Employee) –  NSW North Coast NSW17 January 2017
Good work place good fitness
Great mates defintly place for willing to learn and endhance your life skills and survival training plenty of oppurtunity to excel in life career
Pros
Plenty of oppurtunity
Technical Integrity Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC15 August 2016
it was a great start. Little teams so much more people focused. great little facility and small shutdowns for other clients
Pros
weapons
Cons
weapons
Work
Project, finance, procurement/contract officer (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT18 July 2016
I enjoyed working at Defence and had a very varied position. I loved being part of a team and working towards a single objective. The worst part of the job was managing people's expectations and getting them to understand what was achievable within budget, on-time and met the requirements.

I was responsible for financial reporting for the projects we managed, approved spending proposals, reviewing statements, drafting contracts. Security clearance held top secret.
Pros
enjoyed my work
Cons
Cannot think of any
Excellant Co-workers
Analyst Programmer (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT3 April 2016
A good place to see how staff progression should not be managed.

Very little in the way of personal development and training. Promotion seemed to be time based instead of merit.
Pros
Excellant work teams
Cons
Lousy Management
Compliance and Food Safety Auditor
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Victoria barracks Melbourne6 March 2016
I have had extensive experience in Defence and in a Civilian working environment working with people on compliance and food safety.

I have been the Operations manager for a company in New Zealand producing ration and Emergency packs for the ADF and emergency services in Australia. I managed a team of 30 full time workers from various diverse backgrounds and nationalities.

Th hardest part of the job was being away from Melbourne, however I did enjoy every day in my job and was proud that we were able to meet the requirements of the ADF and were in the top 10 suppliers to the ADF.

I now look forward to any new challenges and being back in the work force located here in Melbourne.
A snapshot of my current Job as a Project Analyst with the Department of Defence
Project Analyst (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC4 February 2016
My Personality
I'm a think outside the square personality that loves to problem solve. I have an adept ability to source information and execute into meaningful business intelligence. This is testament to my analytical mind and excellent report writing skills.

My Co-Workers
My colleagues perception of me is one who delivers outcomes. I'm considered approachable and a team player that can adapt quickly to any situation. I take ownership in dealing with requests/issues and never deflect from being accountable,

The Hardest Part of My Job
In 2012, The Federal Government enforced a recruitment freeze on The Department of Defence and there is little sign this will change soon. Ultimately this has restricted career opportunities and development, hence why I'm searching for a new role.

The Most Enjoyable Part of the Job
I'm a customer centric professional. This is highlighted throughout my resume, from handling lending complaints with the NAB to providing services to ADF Members. I excel in roles where I know I'm assisting others and there is purpose in what I do.
Records Manager/Knowledge Manager (Current Employee) –  Canberra ACT2 January 2016
Currently an Information/Data /Records Manager for Dept of Defence. I am responsible for our branch compliance to the Archives act relating to records management. I also assist with software usage, troubleshooting and application
Excellent pay and conditions
Signals Intelligence Analyst (Former Employee) –  Canberra, ACT5 December 2015
Australia's Department of Defence is a very professional outfit. I was proud to serve in the military for over eight years.
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC9 November 2015
Was able to get on with my job with all most no management hanging over shoulder, worked well with all staff in area. Area was moved to Laverton.
Satisfactory and fun
Financial Clerk (Former Employee) –  Canberra, ACT23 October 2015
Learned allot of skills
Ran a very busy office
Received phone calls
Took messages as required or dealt with them my self
Worked with a team of three
Pros
A very busy office giving me lots of satisfaction
Cons
Defence has a bad culture of Bullying
Executive Level (Former Employee) –  Canberra, ACT22 October 2015
The management expects people to be tied to their computer for the whole day and does not pay overtime well.

I have worked a lot of unpaid overtime.

No real compensation for the amount of work.

Most cases Unrealistic timeframes.
Cons
Overall quite enjoyable.This review is subjective and is not to be published.
MATERIEL DATA OFFICER (Former Employee) –  661 bourke St., Melbourne1 October 2015
2.Somewhat selective as to toleration of distracting behavior in some cases.
1.The most enjoyable part of the job was the technical variety of items to be identified
Pros
1. above
Cons
2. above
Challenging career
Communications Officer (Former Employee) –  Canberra, ACT25 August 2015
Defence offers communications personnel the good, bad and ugly communications challenges.

There is much to be done and no two days are similar, however it comes with some obstacles where new ideas are concerned.

For communications workers, there was not a great deal of flexibility - expectation is you are available full-time.
I was a soldier
Warehouse Operator/Driver (Former Employee) –  All over Australia29 July 2015
Days where long and hard but came with benefits so long as you knew what they where there where good and bad days with the type of work that was required, the hardness part of the job was short notice that I had to give to my family of that I was going away and the changing of government policy's. The most enjoyable part of the job was arriving home safely.
Pros
Good job security
Cons
A lot of incompetent leaders
Always on a course, of course
Quality Manager, Systems Integration (Former Employee) –  Orchards Hills NSw27 July 2015
Forever learning new and innovative styles and techniques in management, leadership and consultation.
Can develop and grow with the organisation at a rapid pace.
Some red tape in some areas but once cut there are vast avenues to involved in and progress.
Pros
Consistent and enjoyable employment, close to home
Cons
very little
High tempo workplace, but with lucrative financial benefits
Maintenance Supervisor (Avionics) (Current Employee) –  Palmerston, NT2 July 2015
Very regimented structure mixed with a high tempo work rate. Extremely efficient and capable management team, supported by well mannered and down to earth employees. The most difficult aspect of working in Defence is the time away you spend from family. The most enjoyable part is being able to work with a great bunch of people.
Pros
Job Security/Salary/Benefits
Cons
Long hours/High tempo workplace
Job Security and variety
Employee (Former Employee) –  QLD22 June 2015
- Career progression is good,
- Long hours,
- varied work hours based on job,
- Slow to modernise and recognise new SOP's.