Australian Electoral Commission Employee Reviews

Not worth the effort
OIC (Former Employee) –  Lalor VIC23 November 2017
The AEC is disorganised and constantly make avoidable mistakes. They have no cerdibility as they do not acknowledge their mistakes nor do they try to correct them or offer an apology. Very strict electrifying environment, even though there is nothing to worry about.
Pros
Casual rates
Cons
Everything else
Extremely poorly organised part-time work.
Issuing Officer (Former Employee) –  Armidale NSW15 November 2017
This has to have been one of the worst jobs I've ever had.

Firstly there was the organisation particularly prior to work commencement. I received a phone call asking me whether I wanted to accept a position at the local pre-polling centre at about 8:30am on a Monday morning; I accepted and was told to monitor my email for details on when the training session was being held; at 2:30pm the same day I received the email telling me the training session was being held at 3:00pm and that i had thirty minutes to get to it. - The training if you could call it that was pathetic, consisting of a short PowerPoint presentation in which the supervisor couldn't even figure out how to get the sound running.

The next day, the first day of work, I arrived at 7:30am, the work was tiring but bearable, during the day i was told there was an online training component I should have completed prior to work commencement, I received no such email. By the end of the day i was absolutely exhausted.

The next day as i was getting ready to go in to work, i got held up which would have made me ten to fifteen minutes late, as i was traveling to work i got a phone can telling me not to bother coming in as i had been replaced for the day.

About an hour later I received another phone call asking me to come in and fill out some paperwork, when I had finished filling out said paperwork i was simply to 'my services were no longer required' because I didn't meet expectations and because someone tried to call me and i had to silence my phone.

So I basically was used for a single day then discarded.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, extremely poor organisation
good
Polling Attendant (Former Employee) –  Federal NSW4 November 2017
I only worked for this company for a single day for the election. I had a primarily fond experience with the government. They provided tea, coffee and cookies.
Productive work place
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD13 September 2017
I found AEC to be very proffesional and efficient offering not real chance for creative expression but it's ok! And I can imagine some people would enjoy the tedious tasks.
Pros
Efficient, structured
Cons
Repetitive
Excellent work environment and friendly staff
Project Officer (Former Employee) –  Canberra City ACT10 July 2017
The AEC is a very well presented organisation . Providing excellent training induction modules for new employees. I found work colleagues very helpful and easy to get on with.
Nice work but only temp
"Ballot Scrutineer/Counter" (Former Employee) –  Craigieburn Melbourne VIC2 July 2017
only 4 weeks of work but enjoyable all the same
interesting work and learned a great deal about government and electoral work
learned some new skills
learned about electoral systems
made new friends
Pros
New skills learned
Cons
Too short an assignment
Great learning curve
Post Election Scrutiny Assistant (Former Employee) –  Federal NSW28 June 2017
Though it was only a short term experience, but I learned a great deal about the process of voting in Australia. It really taught me to be observant and meticulous. Great exposure to work with different teams.
Pros
Simple yet rewarding job
Cons
Too short
Productive, challenging, but very rewarding
Polling Assistant (Former Employee) –  Emu Plains NSW6 June 2017
Provided me opportunities to network with other professionals during my time there, and receive insights into how they accelerated their career. Challenged me due to the long hours, however, the remuneration was quite good. It helped me expand my skills in data collation, working in a team, and customer service.
Pros
good remuneration
Cons
Very good organisation, facility and good managemnet
Polling Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth Airport WA25 May 2017
General Admins and busy task need to be done day-to-day with material preparation, paperwork, and software. I have learned lots skill in the field as well as in the office such as scrutiny on the ballot paper and on the computer, on the desk to the final. Great management staff and transparency but some time lifting a bit heavy box of ballot paper which is very much enjoyed
Pros
Own meal
Cons
Some day long hours
Data Entry
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC19 May 2017
Each day was entering electoral data onto a Excel Spreadsheet. This was a Temp Position through a Recruitment Agency. It was pretty much go in and get the work done.
Pros
Temp work
Cons
Repetitive work
Fast paced filled with a diverse range of cultured people.
Polling Official (Former Employee) –  Casino NSW6 April 2017
This job only happens when there is an election. A typical day starts at 6:00 am and it doesn't stop until all the counting is done at the end of the day, which can be 11:00 that night. As a polling Officer, you learn to be quick and efficient and to treat every new person with respect. Everything is provided for you. However, you d need to pack your own lunch. The hardest part of the job is counting the votes at the end of the night; having to count fast and precise with lack of rest. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting multitudes of different people and the very appealing pay check at the end of it all.
Pros
Weekend job only, Good money
Cons
Long hours, Bring your own lunch
fun workplace
2IC Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW6 April 2017
The poling place is very busy and on the go, where you have to be alert on everyones move, responsible for smooth running of the polling place. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting so many different individuals and cultures. The AEC trained and prepared me well by management. The challenge is making sure all ballot papers are correctly counted and in the correct order for distribution back to head office.
Pros
meeting different individuals and making friends.
Cons
long hours, can't leave until all papers are counted and accountable for.
Great experience
Polling assistant (Former Employee) –  Latrobe division2 March 2017
My manager on the day was helpful and supportive. Being a new team member for the Australian Election process she made the day informative and fun. As polling assistants, after counting we went home at a reasonable hour.
Pros
Learning about the election process
Cons
Cold school gym halls
Very busy voting venue catering to three major electorates of Granydler, Reed and Watson. Served over 4,000 voters
Pre-Polling Officer (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW2 March 2017
Staff arrived 15 to 20 minutes before Voting Opening time at 9a.m. Sign in for our team of friendly, cheerful staff.
Prepare Voting Venue, place display signs, receive, count and record ballot papers issued, man voting table just before opening time.
All staff were rotated through the day with different duties, eg. ballot paper issuing, ballot box guarding, queue controlling.
I learnt: at all times accuracy is vital in identifying voters and marking off their names correctly on the electoral roll, accountability for ballot papers received and issued is important, pleasant service with respect for voters an important representation of Electoral Commission.
Management and work culture, efficient and supportive team. Pleasant work culture maintained even though inundated by the volume of voters turnout.
Hardest part of the job, tiring at end of day.
The busy-ness was very interesting and our supportive team a pleasure to be a part of.
Pros
Interesting job, look forward to the next election.
Cons
No cons
Organised and productive
Election Official (Former Employee) –  Wollongong24 February 2017
Mostly organised, and the work with fellow teammates was manageable even in times of stress and busy hours.

Early start allowed for good management of tasks to be done before polls opened and allowed for a break for food before it began.
Pros
Lunch provided sometimes, friendly atmosphere
Cons
long hours, upwards of 14
The AEC Maryborough division - I thoroughly enjoyed my time with them.
Temp Work (Former Employee) –  Maryborough QLD18 February 2017
I was fortunate enough to be called up to help out at the local division of AEC in temporary premises in Maryborough Queensland.

Both my husband and I were employed here at the same time. I had a casual job at the time and use to go in early to get my work done there - so I could get to the AEC job sooner.

Although the job was fairly mundane - it is what you make it. We met a lot of top men and women, had some really good times there.

It is said the school days are the best days of your life - well I would almost agree with that - but the AEC was as good - better in fact as there are no exams.

I was happy to help out wherever required, as was sought out to assist with counts.
Pros
Good money, good times, great bosses.
Cons
Ended too soon, fairly mundane work - but as I mentioned - it is what you make it.
An interesting experience
TEMP ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD6 December 2016
The pay was good for the job, and they looked after their staff well. It was also interesting to see the vote count process first hand, and be a part of it.
Cons
temporary job
I only worked for a day
Voting Official (Former Employee) –  Maryborough QLD4 December 2016
I only worked for them for a day for the Federal Election. The people were nice and I got good pay for 8 hours of sitting around and crossing peoples names off
very easy place to work for with a good district officer that gets on with the job.
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Armidale NSW24 November 2016
Daily work area comfortable and district officer approachable and willing to lead when unsure of the situation. Co workers good to work with. Learnt a great deal about the roles played by all involved in system. Long hours for everyone at election time and the months before and after. Had a great time learning new skills and enjoyed working in an environment where you could be able to use logical thinking to complete tasks involved with the job.
Pros
good work environment and opportunity for logical thinking.
Cons
Long hours during election time which was exacerbated by having an already busy workload.
Interesting and enjoyable
Officer-in-Charge (Former Employee) –  Stawell VIC24 November 2016
Election day is always very busy but because employees are well trained it is tackled with confidence. I enjoy working as a team with others employed by the AEC.I also enjoy facilitating the voting process for people in my local community. The people in charge at the electoral office are extremely helpful and the use of ICT means that they are always at hand to answer queries. I have been doing this job for so many years because I enjoy being part of election day and what it stands for; and I find it interesting and stimulating.
Pros
Its a stimulating job, meet new people, work as a team.
Cons
No cons.