Australian Taxation Office Employee Reviews

Excellent Working enviroment
Debt Collection Officer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane Central Business District QLD13 July 2017
The working conditions are excellent and the pay for the ASP1 - APS 6 is exceptional compared to the private sector.

The ATO encourages constant self development for its staff to succeed, and offer certificate III & IV courses as well and management programs.

There is alo the option to transfer to other ATO sites in Australia

The only down side - do not get caught up in office politics.
Pros
Pay rate working conditions
Cons
Nepotism
convenient
Law Interpretation Officer (Former Employee) –  Parramatta NSW8 July 2017
I recommend it to others job seakers. However, i found this job site is not user friendly. We need more convenient and effective jobsite to get job quickly.
Stop Payment Clerk
Stop Payment Clerk- Clerical Assistant Grade (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW5 July 2017
I enjoyed working in this position, I was supervisor to 8 staff and ran the stop payment section, where I investigated cheques that has been wrongfully cashed, liased with police and head office in Canberra.... interesting
friendly
Test Analyst - contract (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT18 June 2017
Tax office is a friendly and supportive place to work.
Management are supporting and always willing to have an open mind. I enjoyed my time while working here
Pros
Cons
friendly
positive place
APS1 Operations Officer (Casual evening) (Current Employee) –  Penrith NSW13 June 2017
everyday was a full on day and would learn something new, i found working the support and help was always available and very encouraging for you to learn as much as you can. the hardest part of the job just wanting to meet the deadlines that we were giving but always accomplished.
many amenities
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Adelaide City Centre SA11 June 2017
Enjoyed my experience here to a great degree. Some management outstanding but others below par and played the them versus us game when promoted to higher position. The most enjoyable were my colleagues and the majority of my clients. The hardest part was accepting that management encouraged me to take a small package when I was not ready because I was over 60 years of age and considered a dinosaur and they wanted to bring in more school leavers even though I was well trained and had gained a great deal of knowledge. This treatment of senior staff was encouraged at that time. I believe that currently there is a more even blend of ages and experience. However, many of my former colleagues have now left.
Pros
Many varied benefits were enjoyed
Cons
Flextime was used by most workers
Good company
Liaison (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD18 May 2017
good company. easy work, paid well, super and salary package are good and only get better. Lots of networking opportunities and room for improvement and advancement.
Ground breaking and challenging work
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Civic ACT29 April 2017
Every day consisted of a mix of management and planning sessions, meetings with end user, technical research and coding requirements into solutions to meet business requirements. Very satisfying work.
Pros
Intellectually challenging
Cons
Occasional politics
Productive and fun workplace
Customer Service Representive (Former Employee) –  Penrith NSW23 April 2017
inbound Call Centre - various calls relating to the Australian Taxation Office Products:

Business Activity Statements / Installment Activity Statements :
Explaining the form, reissuing the forms out, changing reporting methods on the form, confirming figures recorded.

Payment Arrangements: confirming debt owing and arranging a payment arrangement to pay debt off.

Recording inbound complaints about the ATO - Taking details of compliant - reconfirming the details and explaining process standard time of complaint.

Providing information and relevant details in relation to Income Tax Returns, Income Tax Withholding, Income Tax Instalments, Luxury Car Tax.
Pros
Wonderful workplace
professional
Debt collection Officer (Former Employee) –  Albury NSW19 April 2017
Hardest part of the job is doing only routine work daily like a machine. No job security.
Otherwise good pay and good environment to work with.
Very professional.
Good managers.
Good relation ship with ATO Staff and visitors
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Canberra ACT6 April 2017
I am pleased to work at ATO as a Receptionist. Most of the staff members are very friendly. I build up my customer skill and communication skill very well. The management team are really good and supportive. I enjoy my 1 hour break, every day I go for a walk with a friend who is a ATO staff.
Friendly workplace with DDR machine
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  North Ryde NSW6 April 2017
Decent workplace, management can be difficult to communicate with, debt is the hardest part of the job, workplace culture is friendly and warm. Most enjoyable aspect is the co-workers.
I liked the people I worked with
Tax Officer (Former Employee) –  Mackay QLD5 April 2017
This was a very good environment to work in. I am always happy to work to a schedule. There was plenty of help available at all times. It was not as busy as any other job I had. I enjoyed the travel that was occasionally involved.
Pros
Government jobs are very secure
Cons
The last manager was not the nicest
jobs for family and friends
Client Services Officer (Former Employee) –  Parramatta NSW16 March 2017
middle management are useless, incompetent and asleep half the time. very easy to get stuck and go no where here. advancement not based on merit as in how well you do your current role but based on a couple of interview questions which is why people who are completely useless at their jobs but can perform in an interview will get the job instead of the right people.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
bad managment and lazy bored culture
Great for first job experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD2 March 2017
Lengthy hours with short breaks. Low pay. Great people and culture. Always celebrating the little things with rewards and recognition. No benefits and contractors are treated differently from permanent employees.
Pros
Working from 7 am to 7 pm you can choose your shifts
Cons
Mostly employs staff through contract agencies
The ATO over all
Tax Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Newcastle NSW25 February 2017
sadly in the day of equal rights there are way to many management or leaders within the ATO ranks that feel the need to push people around and belittle staff below them. I was sad to even walk through a work place and have these managers either completely ignore lessor staff of snarl at them, most normal staff walk around looking at the ground due to fear of being belittled. I am shocked at such a culture for a federal agency in 2016
Flexible and fun place to work
Administration Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Chermside QLD21 February 2017
Flexible work day with your choice of starting and finishing times. Overtime is regularly scheduled at the end of the day and also on the weekends when necessary to enable the work to be kept within advertised time frames.
Pros
Four yearly sporting competition with every office competing
Generally fast paced and in a circus feeling.
Service Delivery Officer (Current Employee) –  Parramatta NSW10 February 2017
Call Center work - but no job advertisement will mention the word "call center".
Poor recruitment practices. Job security and advancement will be luck of the draw.
Salary/Benefits are acceptable but not great.
Busy work environment, too much to interpret.
Management is not great. I have never seen CEO so far.
Workplace culture is satisfactory.
Some great people around to work with.
Pros
Team bonding
Cons
Many to list. However ATTITUDE is a major factor from the leaders.
not so good
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Penrith NSW31 January 2017
terrible culture

discrimination

little support

non effective methods of training

great facilities and equipment

salary was reasonable
Pros
pay facilities equipment
Cons
culture lack of support
admin officer
Administration Officer (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD29 January 2017
Over the last 4 years I’ve worked as a customer service officer supporting the ATO’s debt collection work. The role involves liaising with taxpayers on a variety of debt issues; in particular I have responsibility for the determination of General Interest Charge (GIC) remission. On a daily basis I find myself undertaking the following –

* Research on related law and legislation

* Face to face, phone and letter approaches to taxpayers

* Structured taxpayer interviews, involving specific questions about their business activity

* Interpretation, analysis and documentation of findings and discussions

* Consultation with team members and colleagues on related issues.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
n/a

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Australian Taxation Office. Our community is ready to answer.