Australian Taxation Office Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
A real boys club in some sections and no attention to staff welfare
Tax Officer, GST Field Advisory, Compliance (Former Employee) –  Perth WA28 August 2017
Very hard for advancement unless you know someone in the office or are young and able to relocate to Canberra. No follow up on complaints of bullying or harassment in the workplace.
Pros
Great remuneraton and hours
Cons
No care for employees mental welfare, do not advance those that complain against bullying in the workplace, A real boys club in some areas.
Career advancement
Test Manager (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT9 August 2017
A typical day will be busy with emails (responding and actioning most of it), meetings (preparing takes a lot of time), communicating with staff (mentoring or training included) and preparing reports which takes most of my time as well as reviewing other staffs' reports.

From the different roles that I performed, I learned using microsoft office softwares, going beyond for goood customer service, tax legislation and how it applies in our daily working life, IT systems testing and its requirements.

Management wants you to keep learning and therefore the workplace culture demands a continuous learning process which brought me where I was.

The hardest part of the job is travelling weekly but it was a personal sacrifice which enriched my career. I was allowed to work closer to home for family reasons which graciously accepted.

The irony if it was I enjoyed traveling for work, learned various skills which I can apply in most jobs, fulfilled my career ambitions and retired early.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Travelling away
Behind Times
APS3 Service Delivery Officer (Former Employee) –  Townsville QLD9 August 2017
The management in this organisation are very inconsiderate of mental health issues effecting people today. They create scare tactics to prey on your insecurities and mental instability.
Cons
Government department customer service position
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Burnie, Australia8 August 2017
I was in training for a position with the Australian Tax Office learning how to navigate their database to help customers with their tax queries. For example: how to find out what their tax file number was if they had forgotten it. To see if they were eligible for any tax credits. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help others.
Great place to work.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Upper Mount Gravatt QLD2 August 2017
I enjoyed my time at the ATO. The ATO offer comprehensive and continuous training. I recommend the ATO Garden City as a great place to work. There are a few negatives but that is the same with any employer.
Pros
Great wages
Cons
making it easier for customers and staff.
This was a fill in job.
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  Albury NSW17 July 2017
I liked the work. Early hours and the pay rate. Didn't have a lot to do with other staff members. Only at morning and afternoon teas and lunch time. Job wasn't hard.
Pros
No comment
Cons
No comment
Excellent Working enviroment
Debt Collection Officer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane Central Business District QLD13 July 2017
The working conditions are excellent and the pay for the ASP1 - APS 6 is exceptional compared to the private sector.

The ATO encourages constant self development for its staff to succeed, and offer certificate III & IV courses as well and management programs.

There is alo the option to transfer to other ATO sites in Australia

The only down side - do not get caught up in office politics.
Pros
Pay rate working conditions
Cons
Nepotism
convenient
Law Interpretation Officer (Former Employee) –  Parramatta NSW8 July 2017
I recommend it to others job seakers. However, i found this job site is not user friendly. We need more convenient and effective jobsite to get job quickly.
Stop Payment Clerk
Stop Payment Clerk- Clerical Assistant Grade (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW5 July 2017
I enjoyed working in this position, I was supervisor to 8 staff and ran the stop payment section, where I investigated cheques that has been wrongfully cashed, liased with police and head office in Canberra.... interesting
friendly
Test Analyst - contract (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT18 June 2017
Tax office is a friendly and supportive place to work.
Management are supporting and always willing to have an open mind. I enjoyed my time while working here
Pros
Cons
friendly
positive place
APS1 Operations Officer (Casual evening) (Current Employee) –  Penrith NSW13 June 2017
everyday was a full on day and would learn something new, i found working the support and help was always available and very encouraging for you to learn as much as you can. the hardest part of the job just wanting to meet the deadlines that we were giving but always accomplished.
many amenities
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Adelaide City Centre SA11 June 2017
Enjoyed my experience here to a great degree. Some management outstanding but others below par and played the them versus us game when promoted to higher position. The most enjoyable were my colleagues and the majority of my clients. The hardest part was accepting that management encouraged me to take a small package when I was not ready because I was over 60 years of age and considered a dinosaur and they wanted to bring in more school leavers even though I was well trained and had gained a great deal of knowledge. This treatment of senior staff was encouraged at that time. I believe that currently there is a more even blend of ages and experience. However, many of my former colleagues have now left.
Pros
Many varied benefits were enjoyed
Cons
Flextime was used by most workers
Good company
Liaison (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD18 May 2017
good company. easy work, paid well, super and salary package are good and only get better. Lots of networking opportunities and room for improvement and advancement.
Ground breaking and challenging work
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Civic ACT29 April 2017
Every day consisted of a mix of management and planning sessions, meetings with end user, technical research and coding requirements into solutions to meet business requirements. Very satisfying work.
Pros
Intellectually challenging
Cons
Occasional politics
Productive and fun workplace
Customer Service Representive (Former Employee) –  Penrith NSW23 April 2017
inbound Call Centre - various calls relating to the Australian Taxation Office Products:

Business Activity Statements / Installment Activity Statements :
Explaining the form, reissuing the forms out, changing reporting methods on the form, confirming figures recorded.

Payment Arrangements: confirming debt owing and arranging a payment arrangement to pay debt off.

Recording inbound complaints about the ATO - Taking details of compliant - reconfirming the details and explaining process standard time of complaint.

Providing information and relevant details in relation to Income Tax Returns, Income Tax Withholding, Income Tax Instalments, Luxury Car Tax.
Pros
Wonderful workplace
professional
Debt collection Officer (Former Employee) –  Albury NSW19 April 2017
Hardest part of the job is doing only routine work daily like a machine. No job security.
Otherwise good pay and good environment to work with.
Very professional.
Good managers.
Good relation ship with ATO Staff and visitors
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Canberra ACT6 April 2017
I am pleased to work at ATO as a Receptionist. Most of the staff members are very friendly. I build up my customer skill and communication skill very well. The management team are really good and supportive. I enjoy my 1 hour break, every day I go for a walk with a friend who is a ATO staff.
Friendly workplace with DDR machine
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  North Ryde NSW6 April 2017
Decent workplace, management can be difficult to communicate with, debt is the hardest part of the job, workplace culture is friendly and warm. Most enjoyable aspect is the co-workers.
I liked the people I worked with
Tax Officer (Former Employee) –  Mackay QLD5 April 2017
This was a very good environment to work in. I am always happy to work to a schedule. There was plenty of help available at all times. It was not as busy as any other job I had. I enjoyed the travel that was occasionally involved.
Pros
Government jobs are very secure
Cons
The last manager was not the nicest
jobs for family and friends
Client Services Officer (Former Employee) –  Parramatta NSW16 March 2017
middle management are useless, incompetent and asleep half the time. very easy to get stuck and go no where here. advancement not based on merit as in how well you do your current role but based on a couple of interview questions which is why people who are completely useless at their jobs but can perform in an interview will get the job instead of the right people.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
bad managment and lazy bored culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Australian Taxation Office. Our community is ready to answer.