Australian Taxation Office Employee Reviews

Negative environment
Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA2 November 2017
Very negative place to work. Lots of miserable people whom are probably that way due to management, poor job application process and lack of professionalism in the workplace.
Excellent learning environment.
Assessor/Auditor/Debt (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD10 October 2017
I acquired the skills and abilities necessary to give me confidence in leaning new jobs. The management were good to work for and the pay was excellent.
Silo's & Nepostim Live Here
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC2 October 2017
Unless you want to be brow beaten by Senior staff that have way too many insecurties.
DON'T work at ATO, that is also unless you are related to a Manager.
Pros
Cons
Way too many to mention
Working hours was good
Casual Client Service Representative Level 2 (Former Employee) –  Penrith NSW29 September 2017
Obtained good knowledge of taxation. Enjoyed assisting clients with their tax questions. As it was a casual job I didn't have much time to assess management.
Pros
Very close to station
Cons
Employment period was too short
Difficult work environment
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD25 September 2017
Not an easy workplace. Very political and very much tied up reaching targets. Continually re-assessing and changing work strategies and plans. Employee job satisfaction is not high.
Pros
Good work life balance allowed
Cons
Unhappy work environments
A real boys club in some sections and no attention to staff welfare
Tax Officer, GST Field Advisory, Compliance (Former Employee) –  Perth WA28 August 2017
Very hard for advancement unless you know someone in the office or are young and able to relocate to Canberra. No follow up on complaints of bullying or harassment in the workplace.
Pros
Great remuneraton and hours
Cons
No care for employees mental welfare, do not advance those that complain against bullying in the workplace, A real boys club in some areas.
Enjoyable place to work
Office worker (Former Employee) –  Penrith NSW21 August 2017
Enjoyable experience. Always learning new tasks and systems which keeps the work fresh and enhances your skills. Unfortunately their ways of providing work to temp workers changed and was not as good.
Career advancement
Test Manager (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT9 August 2017
A typical day will be busy with emails (responding and actioning most of it), meetings (preparing takes a lot of time), communicating with staff (mentoring or training included) and preparing reports which takes most of my time as well as reviewing other staffs' reports.

From the different roles that I performed, I learned using microsoft office softwares, going beyond for goood customer service, tax legislation and how it applies in our daily working life, IT systems testing and its requirements.

Management wants you to keep learning and therefore the workplace culture demands a continuous learning process which brought me where I was.

The hardest part of the job is travelling weekly but it was a personal sacrifice which enriched my career. I was allowed to work closer to home for family reasons which graciously accepted.

The irony if it was I enjoyed traveling for work, learned various skills which I can apply in most jobs, fulfilled my career ambitions and retired early.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Travelling away
Behind Times
APS3 Service Delivery Officer (Former Employee) –  Townsville QLD9 August 2017
The management in this organisation are very inconsiderate of mental health issues effecting people today. They create scare tactics to prey on your insecurities and mental instability.
Cons
Government department customer service position
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Burnie, Australia8 August 2017
I was in training for a position with the Australian Tax Office learning how to navigate their database to help customers with their tax queries. For example: how to find out what their tax file number was if they had forgotten it. To see if they were eligible for any tax credits. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help others.
Great place to work.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Upper Mount Gravatt QLD2 August 2017
I enjoyed my time at the ATO. The ATO offer comprehensive and continuous training. I recommend the ATO Garden City as a great place to work. There are a few negatives but that is the same with any employer.
Pros
Great wages
Cons
making it easier for customers and staff.
This was a fill in job.
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  Albury NSW17 July 2017
I liked the work. Early hours and the pay rate. Didn't have a lot to do with other staff members. Only at morning and afternoon teas and lunch time. Job wasn't hard.
Pros
No comment
Cons
No comment
Excellent Working enviroment
Debt Collection Officer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane Central Business District QLD13 July 2017
The working conditions are excellent and the pay for the ASP1 - APS 6 is exceptional compared to the private sector.

The ATO encourages constant self development for its staff to succeed, and offer certificate III & IV courses as well and management programs.

There is alo the option to transfer to other ATO sites in Australia

The only down side - do not get caught up in office politics.
Pros
Pay rate working conditions
Cons
Nepotism
convenient
Law Interpretation Officer (Former Employee) –  Parramatta NSW8 July 2017
I recommend it to others job seakers. However, i found this job site is not user friendly. We need more convenient and effective jobsite to get job quickly.
Stop Payment Clerk
Stop Payment Clerk- Clerical Assistant Grade (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW5 July 2017
I enjoyed working in this position, I was supervisor to 8 staff and ran the stop payment section, where I investigated cheques that has been wrongfully cashed, liased with police and head office in Canberra.... interesting
friendly
Test Analyst - contract (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT18 June 2017
Tax office is a friendly and supportive place to work.
Management are supporting and always willing to have an open mind. I enjoyed my time while working here
Pros
Cons
friendly
positive place
APS1 Operations Officer (Casual evening) (Current Employee) –  Penrith NSW13 June 2017
everyday was a full on day and would learn something new, i found working the support and help was always available and very encouraging for you to learn as much as you can. the hardest part of the job just wanting to meet the deadlines that we were giving but always accomplished.
many amenities
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Adelaide City Centre SA11 June 2017
Enjoyed my experience here to a great degree. Some management outstanding but others below par and played the them versus us game when promoted to higher position. The most enjoyable were my colleagues and the majority of my clients. The hardest part was accepting that management encouraged me to take a small package when I was not ready because I was over 60 years of age and considered a dinosaur and they wanted to bring in more school leavers even though I was well trained and had gained a great deal of knowledge. This treatment of senior staff was encouraged at that time. I believe that currently there is a more even blend of ages and experience. However, many of my former colleagues have now left.
Pros
Many varied benefits were enjoyed
Cons
Flextime was used by most workers
Good company
Liaison (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD18 May 2017
good company. easy work, paid well, super and salary package are good and only get better. Lots of networking opportunities and room for improvement and advancement.
Ground breaking and challenging work
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Civic ACT29 April 2017
Every day consisted of a mix of management and planning sessions, meetings with end user, technical research and coding requirements into solutions to meet business requirements. Very satisfying work.
Pros
Intellectually challenging
Cons
Occasional politics

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Australian Taxation Office. Our community is ready to answer.