Barwon Health is Victoria's largest regional health service. Barwon Health provides high quality, safe, people-focused care to more than 450,000 people in Geelong and South Western Victoria. Barwon Health employs over 5,000 staff and has an annual operating budget in excess of $330 million.
Health services available through Barwon Health cover the full spectrum from emergency and acute to mental heath, primary care, community services, aged care and subacute and rehabilitation. They serve a geographically dispersed population through two major sites: Geelong Hospital and the McKellar Centre.
Geelong Hospital has been acknowledged as the 8th busiest hospital in Australia and the third busiest in Victoria. Barwon Health has a total of 921 beds and a total of 21 sites overall stretching down the coast to Anglesea, Torquay and Lorne. They are the largest employer in the Barwon region.
Facilities include one acute hospital, a seperate sub-acute site for inpatient and community rehabilitation, two residential aged care facilities and 16 community based sites providing mental health, rehabilitation and general care.
Barwon Health was formed on 1 April 1998 as the result of a voluntary amalgamation between:
- Geelong Hospital
- Grace McKellar Centre (now named McKellar Centre)
- Surf Coast Community Health Centre
- Geelong Community Health Centre
- Corio Community Health Centre
The objects of Barwon Health are to operate the business of a public hospital, including rehabilitation and palliative care services as authorised by the Health Services Act 1988 to:
- Operate nursing homes, hostels and independent living units for older people and people with disabilities ensuring that at all times these facilities comply with the Quality of Care and User Rights Principles pursuant to the Aged Care Act 1997.
- Operate community and mental health services and provide primary and ancillary health care; including home-based care.
- Do other business that may be conveniently done in connection with the business of services listed above or calculated to make any of Barwon Health’s assets or activities more profitable.
- Do all things that are incidental or conducive to the attainment of the objects of Barwon Health. – less
4 salaries reported
$78,188 per year
51 salaries reported
$73,233 per year
16 salaries reported
$76,594 per year