BIG W Employee Reviews

Excellent place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Australia7 November 2017
I loved my job at big w, they were amazing and very caring with personal things happening in my life. They really care about their staff which made me sad to leave.
Treated like a number
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD6 November 2017
If you ever want to be treated like a person; do not work for this company.
If you specialise in an area that need a specific skill or qualification; don’t work here.
If you want management to blame you for things you never did; don’t work here.
If you’re after okay money with no chance of career progression; work here.
Got a problem? THEY. DON’T. CARE.
Pros
Money
Cons
Management, support, store maintenance.
Average
Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD1 November 2017
Good job for a first timer. Gain good customer service experience and also have good management. However some staff are not very friendly to work with espeically management wise.
Productive Workplace
Night Fill (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA25 October 2017
I enjoyed working with Big W as it was a Productive Workplace, and had good workplace culture. The most I enjoyed was being able to connect and work along lovely work colleagues.
the staff is nothing
Replenishment (Former Employee) –  Cairns QLD24 October 2017
Working at Big W was cool sometimes, but they do have "favourites"
as a replenishment at night it was badly run or organized and was usually run by kids. the hardest part was that the young staff got away with a lot and as seniors we told off constantly.
Dont know
Layby,cash office, customer service, service n (Former Employee) –  Belmont w.a.16 October 2017
I loved working there but there were certain people there that if you didn't fit in with them you didnt get extra hours or if a permanent job came up they woulnt recommen you
Pros
Great job
Cons
Certain peop.e thought they were better than you
It was fun
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warnbro WA15 October 2017
I had a fun time at Big W, getting to know my co-workers, getting to know the place. I've learn how everything work in workplace, like how the Compactor works, how to use Rails and Rolling Cages and how a Gun Scanner works.
out back
Packer (Former Employee) –  Darwin NT7 October 2017
work hard there everybody left me alone because i no what i had to do i did like working there at big w great people, great job good money too i was happy there.
Great company, not bad to work for
Retail Assistant/Supervisor/Layby Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brisbane Northside QLD5 October 2017
As a previous employee I moved around the workplace quite a bit doing various jobs. Its hard work, doesn't always pay off. I learnt a lot. Worth it.
Pros
Hour lunch
Cons
Can be long days at times and not always friendly staff
Productive work place.
Service area. (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT4 October 2017
It was fun to work at BIG W.I enjoyed the hours I worked and the team environment there . The reliable hours were a bonus as well . Was easy to get bus there.
Pros
Nice sized lunch room.
Cons
Long hours.
great management and team
Register and Store Hand (Former Employee) –  Coffs Harbour NSW3 October 2017
really loved working here. as everyone was lovely and worked really well together in a teamwork environment. was sad to leave for relocation reasons but would recommend working in this establishment to anyone who loves retail and a great workind environment,
Enjoyable and great place to work!
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Wangaratta VIC29 September 2017
Lots of opportunities to learn new things in different areas across the store. Whilst in an enjoyable working environment. The management staff are a pleasure to deal with and are willing to work around busy schedules and lifestyles to accommodate shifts and hours to work into life.
Great First Job for a High School/Uni Student
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  Darwin NT28 September 2017
This was my first job i worked at for 6 months as a high school student.

Pay/ Benefits:
The job is ideally for students wanting part time work to earn some cash outside of school. 90% of the Replenishment Team members i worked with were either at high school or in uni. Saying that, the pay was mediocre but that was to be expected in a minimum wage job with literally no entry requirements. I was working part time for the majority of my employment so i was entitled to some benefits but honestly as a High School student, i couldn't care less other than maybe the 5% discount Woolworths card.

Job Description
The job usually consisted of 3 hour shifts where i would ensure that the presentation of the stock was acceptable for the department i was in charge of for the day (eg. Kitchen, Manchester, Sports & gardening.) The first 2 hours were during store operating hours so customer interaction was inevitable but usually they would either ask where a particular product was or if a certain item was in stock so nothing 2 hard. I also would help the nightfill associates stock/fill shelves if i finished my job early so be prepared to work in other departments. Some days are slow, some go fast, some days the mangers get angry at you for no reason, some days you may get sh!tty customers, but in the end just deal with it and get your minimum wage pay check.

Working Condition/Work life:
The job was very flexible and was tailored around my school hours. I could still have a social life and have other commitments (Gym membership) whilst working at Big W and studying at school.
  more... However, they may call you in for work on the same day during the busier periods of the week or ask you to stay back for a few more hours so be prepared. The working atmosphere was mostly great. Team members were fun to be with which made the job enjoyable. I made some friends along the way which boosted my confidence and made me more sociable . Some of the managers were very supportive and i could tell they were enthusiastic about their job. However, our new store manger was the complete polar opposite of positivity and made me question my sanity.

Overall, it is a great first job and i would highly encourage High Schoolers to apply for Big W.
Pros
Team Members, Majority of the Managers, Work/Life Balance
Cons
Pay, Customers are 50/50, Some of the Managers
Good for Part time work
Retail Services Operator (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW27 September 2017
Sign in for your shift, depending on the length of the shift determines your break length, then sign out before going home.

A lot of staff who are not positive or proactive make it tougher for others to pick up the slack and stay motivated.

Lots of upper management whom we wouldn't recognise as they never engaged with us.

Great for conflict resolution, face to face customer service skills and leadership skills (if you get the opportunity). Also great for learning to self motivate!
Pros
Skills and shift flexibilty
Cons
Lack of decent benefits, negative staff
ok all round
Warehousing (Current Employee) –  Monarto SA25 September 2017
, Once i start work to were youve been asigned , despite the work load the day can go quick or slow. We pack or load boxes on to pallets, try and get out the the amount of boxes to be loaded by the loaders so we can ship the stock of to the stores.

I have found working where i am have created some what family , we all know who each other is, when some one leaves they are missed but we wish them luck on their journ
Pros
barbaques, cakes, xmas dinners ect.
Cons
can be tedious, drags out the days but all over not too bad.
fast paced employer
NIGHT FILL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Macarthur Square NSW21 September 2017
work our how many pallets
organize fillers for night
tour store with manager list requirments for night
manage nightfill and assist team when need help
leave store perfect for next day trade befor leave
also 2 years day run store in managers absence
tie up seasonal events
motivate team to do good job and coach
Pros
fast paced busy retailer
Cons
alot of free time worked by all managers i store
Fun n welcoming company
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth SA19 September 2017
Bigw is a great company to work for and be a part of. From my years of working for them i have come a long way socially and personally due to my managers my colleagues compassion and understanding of life and all that it happens in it. They are not my work colleagues or my bosses iam proud to call them my friends
Pros
Laughter
Good working environment.
Fill Associate (Current Employee) –  Casuarina NT and Marion15 September 2017
I love my work, people are friendly and helpful and I learned to understand that working in a team needs respect and it is unlawful for a person to discriminate another person because of age, race, gender, religious affiliation, and disability. My present workplace has a clear, well-defined and well-framed Occupational Health & Safety policy pursuant to Work Health and Safety Act 2012 (SA). Every worker is responsible for the safety and welfare of themselves and others. All work is completed in accordance with the requirements of the established workplace health and safety standards such as manual handling, machine guarding, correct workstation setup, identification of hazards and risks and the reporting of all untoward incidents.
Working at Big W
Retail (Former Employee) –  Broadmeadows VIC13 September 2017
My typical day at work would consist of getting to work and being greeted by the lovely staff members every morning. I had gained many new skills from working in the technology section, lay-by section and generally all over the store.The staff and manager were very keen in helping me learn and treated all work members equally.
I had honestly found all new aspects easy to adapt to and was able to learn really quickly.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Big store
i am good at math
Stacker (Former Employee) –  Gladstone QLD13 September 2017
i am free sundays
i learnt math
i would like a spot for extra money
i would enjoy stacking because it would be like how i do spring cleans but i just hope i would get the job
Pros
free lunhces