BIG W Employee Reviews

Good Place To Work
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Raymond Terrace NSW16 January 2018
Currently work here but due to been casual their is times of not having much work so looking for something more perm part time. Love working with the public.
An ok starting job
Night Fill Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tuggerah NSW15 January 2018
Working here was ok, meet some great people working here.
Training made by management was poor...
Half the time you don't know who you should go to for your task.
Being casual the older workers expected the casuals to always take the rubbish out... Even if they knew themselves should of taken them.
Very little hours at start 4 hours twice a week unless they wanted me there longer (was very lucky if I got that) on the week before Christmas I luckily scored extra hours and days.
Only worked 2 out of the 5 before head office cut budget at the worst possible time...
Ever since then nothing
No communication on what's going on..
Also communication is poor about rosters...
Pay isn't very great for the hard work
Especially with the heat... A/C seem to be broken all the time
Pros
Nice people, the exit sign.
Cons
Working in the heat, poor communication, training was poor, lack of hours.
Friendly Staff
Sales Assistant and Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Taylors Lakes VIC 30386 January 2018
I worked at Big W for 8 years and it was pleasant at times,the staff were lovely and some of the managers were nice too. I enjoyed my roles at Big W but had to leave for personal reasons. I am looking to get back into the work force as i am in a better position to do so.I enjoyed engaging with the customers and their needs.
Pros
Free Lunches on special occasions.
Cons
Being spoken to rudely by the store managers.
flexable hours for family
Checkout operator (Former Employee) –  Dalby QLD4 January 2018
great company to work for great management great evironment
if need any advice manager was easy to talk
very clean and safe place to work easy to learn the task at hand
Pros
great hours
Cons
nothing
fun place to work
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Central Coast NSW3 January 2018
Big W is a fun place to work with nice people. management isn't the best and the hours could be better but overall good place to work, staff are friendly and hardworking.
Pros
life long friends.
Cons
not enough hours
Understand
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Armadale WA1 January 2018
The whole team is understanding and work closely with each other. Fun place to work and work time is flexible especially for those with family to look after
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Few hours
Big W Work Exprience
CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Sydney Western Suburbs NSW30 December 2017
The staff members are very friendly and helpful.
So is the management. There are lots of new things to learn and do. The working hours are very flexible, there are different areas in which you can choose to work.
The pay is good, however, there are times when there aren't very many shifts available, if your a casual.
Pros
Christmas parties, very good working environment, friendly people.
Cons
Sometimes work can be a bit routine which is a bit boring.
Great Workplace
Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chermside QLD19 December 2017
Overall happy with working alongside Big W - and will like to recommend others to apply and to continue shopping at Big W really enjoyed my time working and will like to return sometime soon
Pros
Outgoing friendly workplace
Cons
Not enough shifts
Friendly work place, great health and safety.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  North Lakes QLD19 December 2017
Get some great and caring staff members, some can be not so great it is retail. Customers can be rude, they were great when when I needed to leave early for my kids.
Very busy retailer
Night/Leisure Manager (Former Employee) –  Armidale NSW16 December 2017
New to Armidale. Which meant that the whole store had to be set up from scratch. As a manager most days meant at least 12 hour shifts. High staff turnover due to expectations being too high.
Pros
Permanent position
Cons
Demands are too high and the pressure too much
There not much good about working at big w
Night Filler (Current Employee) –  Shepparton VIC16 December 2017
I have worked at big w for 2 years now and the only good thing about woring there is the exit.
You do a lot of work for not alot of pay.
People that work there are all up them selfs
Have to be a good workerto get some hour.
Pros
The exit
Cons
Long hour for very poor pay
Productive Nights at Footwear as Always
Fill associate (Current Employee) –  Chermside QLD14 December 2017
Working at Big W is very hard, you give all your energy and go extra mile and by the end of the day you are already drained. I enjoy working with the girls and the young kids as I already bonded with them, this is probably the reason why I stayed for eight years. I also want Big W to be the leading department store in Australia but I don;t think doing what I am doing is helping. There is no more room for improvement. A typical day at work is not challenging anymore and I stagnate. I felt that I am not improving and I really want to improve my communication skills especially in writing as I enjoy drafting pleadings or writing correspondence. I am also a social organiser, I like arranging and coordinating events with my workmates and friends from my previous workplace. The things that I learned is you need to chase your passion, passion for the things that you want to do and have to go for it.
Pros
Sale items
Cons
Had enough of manual handling
The job is enjoyable but management is terrible
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Lismore NSW11 December 2017
While working for big w i learned how to give better customer service and many manual handling procedures.
The day to day work is very stressful and the work loads often unachievable. I have known 5 people who have had to take stress leave and eventually resign while working at big w.
The staff constantly complaim abaout management yet nothing ever changes.
They understaff every section leaving the customers angry and annoyed.
Good Experience Customer Service Role
Check-Out Operator (Former Employee) –  Maribyrnong VIC4 December 2017
Management needs to be fair in treatment of their employees. Employees needs to be recognise for their hard work and loyalty to the company. Great training opportunity given for workers beginning in this kind of industry though.
Pros
Good Union for the workers
Cons
Employees hard work un-recognised
good
Recovery Presentation Associate (Current Employee) –  NSW South Coast NSW29 November 2017
had a good time always nice they understand us well they dont mind if we are students very easy yo get along with and honestly a great place to work ive been there for 4 years
Pros
nice management
Cons
times
Good place to learn customer service skills
Apparel Associate (Former Employee) –  Gladstone QLD28 November 2017
Overall, working at Big W taught me a lot about working in retail. While being there I learned many invaluable skills, such as customer service, how to use a telson, how stock is put out, etc...
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Not always a lot of hours.
Excellent.
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Werribee VIC24 November 2017
Full of friendly people who are helpful. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the customers. The management are very understanding. The workplace culture is very comfortable, there is no backstabbing or talking badly about people. I have learned to be more understanding when it comes to people who work in retail, it is not an easy of a job as some people think and some aspects of the job such as targets can be stressful.
Pros
Flexible work hours, Friendly staff, plenty of different options for departments to work in.
Cons
Long hours.
Good environment
Filler (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC23 November 2017
A good environment to work in, learned a lot talking to different people each day i worked. The staff at big w was all very friendly and made good friends there.
Volunteer
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Mount Hutton NSW22 November 2017
I VOLUNTEERED HERE for Easter and Christmas. I didn't actually work here. The staff were nice to me.
I greeted people at the door and handed out chocolates and balloons
excellent place to work
schhol based work experience (Former Employee) –  Greenhills NSW20 November 2017
The managers and staff are all friendly and helpful
I learned about customer service, I learned about layby and how to store peoples purchases so they can be found reasonably easily and i learned about stocking shelves