Coles Employee Reviews

how it working in coles
Retailer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC22 November 2017
i go to work say hello then get started and if im done i ask the boss if there is stell more job to do. the job showed me how to pack up thinks which way to face item which item go's where. the manager were fair they let me start and finish the right time did't make me do think i wasen you's to doing. the people that worked the was nice they alway helped people when they asked. the hardest part of the job was finding a way to go home.the most enjoyable part of the job was at the started of the job because i have a lot of energy
I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at Coles
Team Member (Current Employee) –  University Hill VIC21 November 2017
Overall I have enjoyed my times at Coles. It is a dynamic and diverse workplace, which has a role for everyone and is a group of smaller teams encompassed into one store.
Diana
Coaching & Training Staff (Former Employee) –  Sydney Town Hall NSW19 November 2017
Working with customers and working in a team, I enjoyed being a second in charge staff was a challenge , Got my long service leave and left the business
Pros
team work
Fun Working Place
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC19 November 2017
Great time working always felt better within myself to be earning money to support my family.
The hardest Part I found was being away from my son at the time who was only 2 when I started working.
The management I always found great and understand as at the time I was a single mum.
The most enjoyable was getting to meet new people and seeing customers happy.
Great Work Place
Deli Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kurri Kurri NSW19 November 2017
The most enjoyable was getting to meet new people and seeing customers happy.
Pros
The air conditioning
Cons
Great workplace for an after school job
Part-time Service (Current Employee) –  Wodonga VIC19 November 2017
The customers are always lovely and the regulars are even better. Its a very social job serving at the registers and the time goes by so quickly its like you were barely there.
Pros
discounts, friendly environment, leave
Cons
self check out machines
Productive and fun workplace with friendly staff
Work placement for retail studies (Former Employee) –  Fairfield West, Sydney NSW19 November 2017
I had a positive experience at Coles when going on work placement for a week. My supervisor was friendly, helpful and approachable and so was the staff.
Pros
Friendly and adaptable environment.
Cons
Repetitive tasks.
Fun work environment
Meat Manager (Former Employee) –  Stocklands Merrylands,, Hinchinbrook Plaza17 November 2017
It was always pleasant working for Coles & the fellow staff were reliable more often then not, the management help whenever possible & they were easily approachable ,if you needed to discuss anything in regards to the business, staff members or my own personal life, I also found the quality of the Coles products, Meat, Bakery ,Dairy all departments offered a good quality of service and products also there stores are in many locations, whether you have your own mode of transport or not! Public transport is more often then not is found close by ,and easily found at there many locations throughout the state of New South Wales.
Pros
Able to control quality of our product
Cons
Respnsible for all workers, maintaining sales even if 1/2 of my staff were absent
great envrioment
Grocery Team Member (Current Employee) –  Revesby NSW16 November 2017
great place to work , amazing team members.
lovely staff, great atmosphere, supporting team members, encouraging outgoing wonderful work force. team work plays a major role within departments.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short hours
I wasn’t feel secured with this job. My colleagues were great but the job security and advancement is very poor.
Service Supervisor and Deli Team Member (Former Employee) –  Coles North Parramatta Entrada15 November 2017
This job didn’t have a security and the job advancement is very poor. There wasn’t enough hours for all the team members and this has affect my personal life and income. I didn’t feel safe due to the location of the store and the roster they have given me.
Pros
5% Staff Discount
Cons
Hours, Location, Security, and Job Advancement (very poor)
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC15 November 2017
helpful fun energetic nice people and they are very flexible and the people there are very kind and they helped me to develop there but they didnt listen to what i asked for
Pros
fun
Cons
strict
Service Consultant (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA14 November 2017
Variety of emoymemt and diversity of people, not only within the staff but customers. Great opportunities for progression through ranks of desired or security of role.
Poor care for workers
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Werribee VIC12 November 2017
As an ageing male casual worker for nearly 4 years, I was put off the roster and unable to get shifts due to higher ups in the company wanting to put on younger, cheaper workers under the age of 21. Store managers were uncooperative and overly demanding. Day staff would lazily not complete tasks, leaving night staff with their leftover work and have to work to a ridiculous level of intensity because of it. Higher ups/ head office would only see that night staff were falling behind in their work and had zero proper communication.
Pros
Appropriate breaks if working long shifts
Cons
Poor care for staff unless you are a higher up
friendly casual enviroment
Nightfill Associate (Current Employee) –  Newcastle NSW10 November 2017
A normal day as night fill has me getting to the shop at 8pm or earlier signing on and the night begins with a huddle were the team leader tells us if there are any changes that are being made or if we need to focus on something more today than we did yesterday.

ex.(One day could be focused on cleaning the back dock after the load is done and the next day the focus could be on making the aisles look good)

The Cole's Management likes to change stuff a lot which really keeps everyone on their toes and they like to swap out people a lot with their Cole's graduate program so you get new managers every year nearly.

The most enjoyable part of the job would be the interaction with people not only the friends I have made that are part of the Cole's team but the regulars we have that come by the store all the time that you get to know.

The workplace is really casual the only pressure we really have is to keep up with the work and not to slack off other than that while we are in the aisles we talk to customers that need assistance and when the shop closes at 10pm we can either talk to someone who is working with us if there is someone in our aisle or listen to the radio which is actually a pretty good is a really nice added feature.
Pros
5% discount on everything (really adds up)
Cons
I couldnt really go to parties when i was still in school half of the time.
Pleasant and enjoyable environment
Night Filler (Former Employee) –  Joondalup WA9 November 2017
3-4 hour shifts.
how to stock shelves and use box crusher
managers was easy to approach and always ready to assist
best part was the presenting of the shelves once stocked
retail
Second in charge (Current Employee) –  Adelaide City Centre SA9 November 2017
set up delicatessen case including poultry and seafood display for start of business
learnt to do orders and learnt more about the supply and distribution system of coles
Pros
meet new people
Cons
onmy feet formore than 10 hours and not relevant to my degree
A great experience with tough early days in a toxic invironment.
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Lavington NSW8 November 2017
A Daily Store Tour conducted by department with the Department Manager. Notes taken of outcomes and requirements.
Planning up coming events and catalogues.
Department Managers Meeting to review results of sales and expenses to budget and last year, for the previous week. Plan the next week.
Customer Service, Competition Check.
Merchandising and Managing by walking around.
I learned how to turn a toxic environment into a positive one with good communication, good follow up and being open and honest with all team members and Department Managers.
The workplace culture in the end was motivated and positive.
Their were two hard parts of this job. The first was to change the culture of the team that we had and the other was transitioning the store to become a 24 hour Seven day a week store. The first under Victorian control.
The most enjoyable part of this job was changing the culture of the team in this store, and successfully transitioning the store to trade 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Seeing the results in sales achieved, standards achieved and profits gained was a highlight.
Pros
The Challenge that I was given & the Picturesque location that I lived in.
Cons
Adapting to a NSW Union and Regulatory system compared to my knowledge of the Victorian system.
Fine for short-term, casual work only
Grocery Team Member (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC7 November 2017
The company does not show much respect to long-term employees, and is constantly putting their own needs above those of the workers. Many managers lack interpersonal skills and do not ensure that the nightfill team has the necessary resources to complete their work in the allocated time, presuming new employees only need minimal training to develop skills equal to experienced workers, and do not pay workers for any overtime accrued.
Pros
Friendly coworkers
productive and fun enviroment
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Brighton VIC7 November 2017
just an awesome working enviroment

a typical day includes just serving customers and helping with their groceries

i learned time structure, organisation and connecting with customers on a deeper level
overall acceptable
Distribution Centre Operations Graduate (Former Employee) –  Eastern Creek NSW6 November 2017
refer to other review for knowledge and skills acquired

I only worked at distribution centre so can add no more information

Workplace culture: average

Hardest part of job: unsure

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Coles. Our community is ready to answer.