CSIRO Employee Reviews

environement de travail agréable
researcher (Former Employee) –  Perth, Western Australia9 July 2017
L'équipe avec laquelle j'ai pu travailler était agréable, prête à discuter et échanger. L'accès au matériel était facile.
CSIRO was an interesting and innovative place to work at
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Lindfield NSW21 December 2016
A typical day at work:
Meeting with my supervisor to discuss the day's work. Setting objectives for the day. The rest of the day cover checking and sending emails, programming and research. In addition to these task I would often meet up with my supervisor or other team members for a second meeting.
A fun and challenging workplace
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Sydney Eastern Suburbs NSW14 October 2016
The most important part was what I learned. I went from having no experience with Java at all, to over 6 months on the job experience. My level of understanding of Java would now sit at a intermediate to advanced level.

Learning how to program for serial communication, create GUIs, populate tables, translate GPS messages and develop network communication.
Productive and enjoy working with great people
Administration Officer (Current Employee) –  Clayton North VIC29 June 2016
A good balance of administrative tasks.

Extensive diary management for the Research Director, coordinating meetings, travel and various administrative duties.
Pros
Flexibilty
Interesting workplace
Research Project Officer (Former Employee) –  Werribee VIC30 May 2016
I enjoyed a wide range of projects and learnt a wide range of skills.
Work was varied and allowed for great learning opportunities.
The people are friendly and helpful
I made some good friends.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Ravenshoe QLD28 March 2016
yesterday was old and many people are birds in they're own minds however the moon is made of gravy and the sun is purple like a flying koala.
Software engineer (Former Employee) –  Hobart26 March 2016
Great place to work with outstanding work-life balance. Some research will progress to real world products and businesses. Talented coworkers and managers.
Pros
Great hours, interesting research.
Cons
Must be self motivated to achieve great things.
High School Work Experience
Materials Science and Engineering Faculty (Former Employee) –  Clayton VIC8 March 2016
Enjoyable experience where i was taught to program in C+ and analyse various photos and using C+ to examine various things as well as program a light sensing vehicle that i built and successfully programmed to manoeuvre around a given circuit. The material science and engineering department was very friendly and helpful and taught me many things during the two short weeks i was there.
Very supportive team
Personal Assistant to the Executive HR Manager (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD28 February 2016
Working for CSIRO has given me lots of opportunities to learn and grow.
My team and my manager are very supportive and help each other.
Fantastic people, high importance on the agriculture industry, rewarding career
Disease Assay Technician (Former Employee) –  Black Mountain ACT15 January 2016
All round excellent place to work, rewarding and exciting, gained various skills and knowledge, everyday was different.
Pros
rewarding career
Cons
long hours sometimes
Excellent experience
Student Placement (Former Employee) –  Highett, VIC5 January 2016
Varied work learning all aspects of engineering projects.

Worked hands on in fields of mechanical and electrical working with steel and timber fabrication and electronic instrumentation and data logging.

Worked with an American Grad student doing software programming and gaining experience working in a team of multi-disciplined engineering and technical staff.
Pros
Great experience working in a team
Cons
low pay (student placement), sometimes boring work
Great institution
Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Perth WA1 November 2015
CSIRO is proper example of what a scientific institution should be. Sadly, it cannot compete in salaries with the institutions from the private sector ,reason why they loose continuously qualified man power.
Pros
life balance
Cons
Salary
Fun, creative and supportive environment
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  North Ryde, NSW18 September 2015
This was by far the best team I have ever worked with. People that loved science and had as much fun letting people know about it as they could, because promoting science as a career was one of the prime reasons for the organisation.

My role was a supporting one, but none the less my advice was sought, valued and acknowledged. Brilliant manager, I never heard a cross word from him.

On the down side the labs and storage area were dilapidated, and I was one of many made redundant on a political whim of an incoming federal government.
Pros
Friendliest, most supportive team ever!
Cons
- Some labs and storage areas were quite dilapidated.
Csiro
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Brisbane, QLD10 September 2015
A great place to work and learn. Brisbane is an amazing city to explore Ozi culture and life style. Life balance at CSIRO, good paid.
Excelente centro de pesquisa
Trainee industrial (Former Employee) –  Townsville, QLD14 March 2015
O centro de pesquisa conta com as mais modernas tecnologias nas areas de agricultura e estudos de resursos naturais. Ambiente de trabalho legal, com equipe fortemente comprometida no desevolvimento de inovações e descobertas cientificas.
australia post
Clerical Assistant in the Administration Section (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NSW4 July 2014
I enjoyed customer service and working in a team with others.
Excellence in Research
Research Engineer (Current Employee) –  Canberra, ACT28 June 2014
CSIRO is the excellent place to work at to work on research projects that matter the most in Australia.
enjoyable and fast paced
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Civic, Canberra19 May 2014
I learned how to be in a small team also how to handle pressure. I learned how to use TRIM and data entry it was enjoyable and i got my own desk, and i got to go to lunch when i pleased.
I liked the people as they were older and i liked having my own little area to work in. I worked with my mum so she gave tips and hints alot to.
Pros
Small team, good pay, learned new skills
Cons
never moved up and was on a contract
Fun place to work, great research
Research Engineer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, VIC10 February 2014
Had a great time here. Awesome people.
Does some amazing research and you can really explore what you want to do. A mix of lab work and writing papers.
Pros
Lunchtime soccer and table tennis. Relaxed
Cons
Not amazing management and bad culture
Demanding, yet rewarding role
Personal Assistant to Research Director(RD) (Former Employee) –  Floreat, WA4 November 2013
In my previous role at CSIRO, I multi-tasked at a high level due to demands of my role reporting to 3 supervisors. The work demands were constantly and highly changeable and unpredictable on a daily basis and therefore, affected my schedule of priorities. I thrived on keeping ‘abreast and on top’ of these constant changes and hence, relied on my skills and high competency, especially in CSIRO’s Intranet, Network Outlook, MeetingPlace, Sharepoint, video and/or audio conferencing, Confluence and the newly upgraded Science Reporting portal in CSIRO SAP Interface. This upgrade enabled me to drill down definitive project budgets (either an individual project or collectively); FTE’s; Work in Progress; Staff Allocation; expenditure updates and so forth. Due to one of my supervisor’s key role as Stream Leader in WfO Flagship, and his demanding role/duties and the execution/delivering his science in projects in WA, nationally and collaborative projects internationally, it was one of my duties of advising him on a regular basis of the financial status of his projects and if any are in the ‘red”, to immediately bring this to his attention.
Pros
as per my previous submission