Dan Murphy's Employee Reviews

Great Team
CUSTOMER ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Nerang QLD8 February 2018
Great team and everyone works together and helps each other. Team are easy to work with and make time being at work enjoyable. I have enjoyed myself here
Loved working at Dan Murphy's
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Toowoomba QLD5 February 2018
Best work environment, wonderful team of people. Management are warm, friendly and fair. Very professional place of work, but also fun and a great environment.
Pros
Working alongside a great team
Cons
Not many hours available for casuals.
It All Depends On The Managment
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC14 January 2018
I have worked with the Dan Murphy's company for almost a year and a half now (17 months). Within this time I have had the opportunity of working at two different stores. My first store was great. I left only because I moved house. My second store started off great and then a couple of months in we started having issues with management. We had 4 store managers in 3months, all occurring during the Christmas/ New Years season. Some of these managers were very good at their job. Some of these managers couldn't hold down a budget. I believe your experiences all depend on who is running your store.
Pros
Friendly Staff, Customers
Cons
Cut contracted hours due to lack of budget.
Enjoyable work
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Erina NSW4 January 2018
A great retail job for anyone who wants to get into the world of alcohol and learn about different wines, spritis, beers and ciders.
It is a large and exciting company that values knowledge, character and its customers
Pros
great colleges
Cons
can be stressfull in busy periods
Not happy
Customer Service/Product Demo Tasting (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW15 December 2017
No advancement, poor moral, not good wages, management pass the buck and hide in the office. Feel let down and disjointed on a daily basis whilst at work
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Nice boss to start with but not great boss after.
Customer Service Assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Canning Vale WA28 November 2017
When first started, boss was great very nice, we started with a store from scratch and the hours were great.

As soon as it opened and after the Christmas holidays, hours were cut straight down and management was changed ands the new manager was mean and rude for unnecessary reasons.
Pros
Good Company
Cons
Hours were cut, mean boss
Exciting and Challenging work place
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Epping VIC15 November 2017
Great place to work along side some amazing people, each day is never the same, and career advancement is very likely. Weekend work is required which is tough for some but the joy you get from helping customers makes it worth it
Pros
Great career prospects
Cons
Weekend and late hours
Applied for customer service But ended up doing morning fill
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT24 August 2017
I have worked there didn't liked it at all had applied for customer service ended up doing morning fill , still it was ok to me ,But then i was told to do filling whole shift . who would do lifting for EIGHT (8) hours .The Same crew out of 7 i was the only one filling So resigned
Productive work place
Front End Cashier (Former Employee) –  Melton VIC1 August 2017
work work work great environment after 4pm Monday to Friday and most weekends.
Management need Customer Service Skills and training in how to manage (at this store only) Team Members in an appropriate manner.
work work work
Pros
work
Cons
work
great work life balance
customer service (Former Employee) –  Boronia VIC17 July 2017
Held part time position with Dans, all staff were great and everyone enjoyed coming to work,

Management was great. They train people well and encourage a great culture
Pros
over busy periods we get lunches, you get discounts for all woolworths stortes and owned companies
low pay, high expectation
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW16 June 2017
You either worked with stock or on registers. Most of the customers were very polite and friendly however as the day progressed into the evening shifts some customer fuelled with alcohol and/or drugs would get aggro if refused service for intox or underage or no ID. Managers very inflexible with rosters for casuals, expect you to do online drinks training but do not give you time during work hours to do it (without saying it they expect you to do it at home) Managers can also be biased as to how many hours you get as the "favourites" get better shifts (weekends + day) and longer hours. For "close to" minimum wages they expect a lot off you. Typical of large organisations. Best part of the job was that staff were easy to get on with and you do get great customers to interact with.
Pros
ok for students
Cons
monotonous job
Temporary
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Katoomba NSW4 June 2017
Career opportunities for some. Should be seen a a temporary job. The opportunities I was offered during the recruitment process didn't occur. Frequent changes of store management was like starting over again with each new manager.
Didn't enjoy my time there
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ryde NSW31 May 2017
this job started out alright, the team was friendly. It was a new store, shopping centre had partly opened so the store wasn't making the money that they thought that it should. So management was changed. That's when it started to go downhill and it never got good
Cons
Management changes every two years
Average and can be below average place to work in
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne Northern Suburbs VIC30 May 2017
Demands 100% effort with minimal if not no staff at all. management is ok but could do with more retraining generally the crew or fellow staff are pretty awesome to work with.
Excellent Retail Experience,
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kelmscott WA17 May 2017
Working for Dan Murphy's has really helped broaden a new range of social and knowledge skills, for those willing to embrace a retail culture based around liquor.

Learning about different types of liquor, liquor styles and about the kind of customers that will buy particular products is an interesting field of study, though it can be quite rewarding when you can personally influence a customer to buy a product that they wouldn't normally buy because you drop some interesting knowledge on them and also relate a reason for them to buy said products.

All in all, great fun to work for Dan Murphy's, and like any job, it can be quite tough, but when you work for them as long as I have, you remember all of the fun quirky stuff.
Pros
Barbecue Lunches (Kelmscott), Great Assistant Managers, Friendly Team, Good Customers, Booze
Cons
Thefts, Troublesome Customers, Meeting Demand when Busy
Great team, job security. Bad managers.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Point Cook VIC14 May 2017
Good: Stable job, good pay, great rapport with the team because you're all stuck in the same boat. Stricter codes to abide by so you know you can't get caught out by your own ignorance if you give underage kids alcohol. Multiple jobs in one shift (depending on which store you're in). One store I worked in swapped around the register shifts every two hours because whoever thought of that idea had been just as drained as anyone else on a register for 4-8 hours, so that everyone got a turn to be on the floor doing stock and helping customers which gave you a break in a sense.

Bad: If you're a young adult who gets a job at Dan Murphy's, expect to be put on the Saturday night shift for two years. That shift teaches you some real patience. And instead of the fortnightly Saturday night shift swap idea, they don't want you to change the fragile eco system if it means putting someone middle aged on a Saturday shift, because they don't like that. This might come off as whiny, but once you deal with the incompetence that one has in two different stores in Melbourne, there's not a concern for good management, but because everyone is mates up top and they don't want to make things difficult for themselves. HR won't listen to your complaints, and brush off most issues, even extremely problematic issues like having your boss watch you over your shoulder while you fill out a mandatory quiz on how the work environment is and the management. We were lucky to have a lady on our team who was unionised otherwise one of the worst people in the world would have remained a manager.
Pros
Great team, stable pay and conditions and part time positions which are hard to come by.
Cons
Saturday night shifts and the middle aged privilege.
Great Company
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bendigo VIC14 May 2017
Working at Dan murphy's was a great experience, lovely staff and understanding managers. Would recommend anyone getting a job with Dan Murphys Bendigo.
many responsibilities constant, change of work culture.
Advanced customer service (Current Employee) –  Maryborough QLD9 May 2017
Dan Murphy's is a large retail liquor store that emphasizes customer service over all else. Staff are required to complete the load and man the registers if business in high. Friendly smile and eye contact is a must at all times and working as a team makes the days more competitive and fast.
Pros
taste testing.
Cons
no accountability.
I enjoyed my time, not a bad place to work.
FLOOR ASSISTANT/ STOCK (Former Employee) –  Mandurah WA8 May 2017
I have worked with Dan Murphy's on many occasions and have enjoyed my time with in there employment.
I have worked in Queensland on the Gold Coast and in Western Australia for Dan Murphy's and have seen a big change when Woolworths took over.
Pros
Tastings outside of work (wineray visits)
Cons
Dealing with customers that steal the products on a hourly basis.
fun uni work balance
Manager (Current Employee) –  Sydney Eastern Suburbs NSW1 May 2017
would not recommend a full time position however, usually a good culture if you a uni student. good casual pay and balanced working hours, not good for working your way up.
Pros
balanced hours
Cons
cant work your way up the chain