Dan Murphy's Employee Reviews

Applied for customer service But ended up doing morning fill
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT24 August 2017
I have worked there didn't liked it at all had applied for customer service ended up doing morning fill , still it was ok to me ,But then i was told to do filling whole shift . who would do lifting for EIGHT (8) hours .The Same crew out of 7 i was the only one filling So resigned
Productive work place
Front End Cashier (Former Employee) –  Melton VIC1 August 2017
work work work great environment after 4pm Monday to Friday and most weekends.
Management need Customer Service Skills and training in how to manage (at this store only) Team Members in an appropriate manner.
work work work
Pros
work
Cons
work
great work life balance
customer service (Former Employee) –  Boronia VIC17 July 2017
Held part time position with Dans, all staff were great and everyone enjoyed coming to work,

Management was great. They train people well and encourage a great culture
Pros
over busy periods we get lunches, you get discounts for all woolworths stortes and owned companies
low pay, high expectation
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW16 June 2017
You either worked with stock or on registers. Most of the customers were very polite and friendly however as the day progressed into the evening shifts some customer fuelled with alcohol and/or drugs would get aggro if refused service for intox or underage or no ID. Managers very inflexible with rosters for casuals, expect you to do online drinks training but do not give you time during work hours to do it (without saying it they expect you to do it at home) Managers can also be biased as to how many hours you get as the "favourites" get better shifts (weekends + day) and longer hours. For "close to" minimum wages they expect a lot off you. Typical of large organisations. Best part of the job was that staff were easy to get on with and you do get great customers to interact with.
Pros
ok for students
Cons
monotonous job
Temporary
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Katoomba NSW4 June 2017
Career opportunities for some. Should be seen a a temporary job. The opportunities I was offered during the recruitment process didn't occur. Frequent changes of store management was like starting over again with each new manager.
Didn't enjoy my time there
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ryde NSW31 May 2017
this job started out alright, the team was friendly. It was a new store, shopping centre had partly opened so the store wasn't making the money that they thought that it should. So management was changed. That's when it started to go downhill and it never got good
Cons
Management changes every two years
Average and can be below average place to work in
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne Northern Suburbs VIC30 May 2017
Demands 100% effort with minimal if not no staff at all. management is ok but could do with more retraining generally the crew or fellow staff are pretty awesome to work with.
Excellent Retail Experience,
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kelmscott WA17 May 2017
Working for Dan Murphy's has really helped broaden a new range of social and knowledge skills, for those willing to embrace a retail culture based around liquor.

Learning about different types of liquor, liquor styles and about the kind of customers that will buy particular products is an interesting field of study, though it can be quite rewarding when you can personally influence a customer to buy a product that they wouldn't normally buy because you drop some interesting knowledge on them and also relate a reason for them to buy said products.

All in all, great fun to work for Dan Murphy's, and like any job, it can be quite tough, but when you work for them as long as I have, you remember all of the fun quirky stuff.
Pros
Barbecue Lunches (Kelmscott), Great Assistant Managers, Friendly Team, Good Customers, Booze
Cons
Thefts, Troublesome Customers, Meeting Demand when Busy
Great team, job security. Bad managers.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Point Cook VIC14 May 2017
Good: Stable job, good pay, great rapport with the team because you're all stuck in the same boat. Stricter codes to abide by so you know you can't get caught out by your own ignorance if you give underage kids alcohol. Multiple jobs in one shift (depending on which store you're in). One store I worked in swapped around the register shifts every two hours because whoever thought of that idea had been just as drained as anyone else on a register for 4-8 hours, so that everyone got a turn to be on the floor doing stock and helping customers which gave you a break in a sense.

Bad: If you're a young adult who gets a job at Dan Murphy's, expect to be put on the Saturday night shift for two years. That shift teaches you some real patience. And instead of the fortnightly Saturday night shift swap idea, they don't want you to change the fragile eco system if it means putting someone middle aged on a Saturday shift, because they don't like that. This might come off as whiny, but once you deal with the incompetence that one has in two different stores in Melbourne, there's not a concern for good management, but because everyone is mates up top and they don't want to make things difficult for themselves. HR won't listen to your complaints, and brush off most issues, even extremely problematic issues like having your boss watch you over your shoulder while you fill out a mandatory quiz on how the work environment is and the management. We were lucky to have a lady on our team who was unionised otherwise one of the worst people in the world would have remained a manager.
Pros
Great team, stable pay and conditions and part time positions which are hard to come by.
Cons
Saturday night shifts and the middle aged privilege.
Great Company
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bendigo VIC14 May 2017
Working at Dan murphy's was a great experience, lovely staff and understanding managers. Would recommend anyone getting a job with Dan Murphys Bendigo.
many responsibilities constant, change of work culture.
Advanced customer service (Current Employee) –  Maryborough QLD9 May 2017
Dan Murphy's is a large retail liquor store that emphasizes customer service over all else. Staff are required to complete the load and man the registers if business in high. Friendly smile and eye contact is a must at all times and working as a team makes the days more competitive and fast.
Pros
taste testing.
Cons
no accountability.
I enjoyed my time, not a bad place to work.
FLOOR ASSISTANT/ STOCK (Former Employee) –  Mandurah WA8 May 2017
I have worked with Dan Murphy's on many occasions and have enjoyed my time with in there employment.
I have worked in Queensland on the Gold Coast and in Western Australia for Dan Murphy's and have seen a big change when Woolworths took over.
Pros
Tastings outside of work (wineray visits)
Cons
Dealing with customers that steal the products on a hourly basis.
fun uni work balance
Manager (Current Employee) –  Sydney Eastern Suburbs NSW1 May 2017
would not recommend a full time position however, usually a good culture if you a uni student. good casual pay and balanced working hours, not good for working your way up.
Pros
balanced hours
Cons
cant work your way up the chain
Don't apply even if you're desperate!!
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hyde Park WA24 March 2017
They don't walk the talk. You get all these aims like wanting to build a world class service but give you so few hours and don't tell you how much heavy lifting you've got to do - especially hard if you're a girl.

A typical day at work is putting stock away and a little bit of customer interaction. If you get 15 hours a week, you're lucky. Luckily I had two jobs to get me by.

Forget about a management position - the pay's not that much higher but the squeeze the lifeblood out of you.
Pros
Cons
Heavy lifting and lousy hours with lots of empty promises.
Great for flexibility
Sales Assistant - Geelong (Former Employee) –  Geelong VIC20 March 2017
Working at Dan Murphy's allowed me the flexibility I needed whilst studying. It allowed me to further develop my skills in the retail and customer service industry so that I may transfer these skills to my next workplace.
Was okay for a Stand-in Job, Not worthwile
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seaford VIC13 March 2017
Not as good as everyone tells you.
Not worthwhile long-term barely short-term longevity.
Base line workers are either up or down, never stable work hours.
Pros
Discounts, Work people.
Cons
Bad hours, Bad pay, Bad experiences overall
don't do it
customer service (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW18 February 2017
ive been here for 9+ years, in several roles from service to management and all inbetween.
the teams themselves are very nice and helpful
management is getting worse in harassment, bullying and general work ability(lazy and incompetent)
it's a very full on job, heavy consistent lifting, not much break time. unless it's the weekend your usually by yourself unloading 8-10 pallets on average, including customer interaction, register help, collecting trolleys, phone calls, pre orders, taking deliveries.
but don't worry, the company says to take it easy, but it won't be allowed.

Progression doesn't exist unless you suck up or have a friend high up.
If your injured you WILL be treated like scum whether its your fault or not, and they will make the process impossible to deal with.

Harassment and bullying is ripe in many stores, despite many complaints being registered the company does nothing.
Pros
general staff are friendly
Cons
the entire place
A great place to work!
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC7 February 2017
The perfect workplace for a uni student who is looking for ongoing work while they study. Also great for someone who is looking for advancement in the workplace - a company that promises advancement, opportunity and product knowledge.
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Noosaville2 February 2017
Even though it's hospitality and the money is not the best the Noosaville store is like a family. Yes we all had our good days and we had our bad days but it was so nice to know that at the end of a shift you can hug it out! The company is great to work for.
Pros
Cons
Working over Christmas
a fun and enjoyable place to work
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Armidale NSW18 January 2017
I have enjoyed working here, everyone is very friendly and understanding. It is a family friendly workplace and everyone is very supportive. Most enjoyable is the customer interaction and the atmosphere of the place