Deakin University Employee Reviews

Flexible and productive workplace
Event Organization- Staff Member (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Geelong VIC19 October 2017
Attending pre-event meetings. Being thorough with the responsibilities and duties. Working in a team to deliver the arrangements before deadlines. Reporting to the event manager.
Great day meeting lots of people and giving them an experience of the uni
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Geelong VIC5 October 2017
Start quite early to prepare the banners.Then as the public started coming in, we gave them directions. Helped for a presentation along with a colleague and a tutor about the architecture school twice. Was really fun since I was working with fellow archi student.
Pros
Free lunch, free t-shirt and freebies
Cons
none that i can think of
Photographing fossils and collecting resources for paper publications.
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  221 Burwood Highway, Burwood, Victoria 312519 September 2017
This was a great working opportunity for me to get a close look at paper publications. I mainly learnt how to photographing fossils and use Photo Shop software to adjust photo quality. The workplace is in the faculty's geological laboratory. There are many chances to communicate with other researchers during the lunch time. I really enjoyed working in such academic environment and being able to take in inspiring experiences from others.
Pros
Academic communications
Cons
Short term, unstable.
Very productive
Reserch Project placemet (Former Employee) –  Waurn Ponds VIC15 August 2017
Research work placement has given me a really good experience working in a laboratory. Deakin laboratories are fill with all the equipment and friendly staff.
Excellent place to work
Corporate Events Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC4 August 2017
Varied and fast paced environment and you have to think on your feet. Have to be a very organised person with strong communication skills with patience and tolerance.
Supportive work environment
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Geelong VIC22 May 2017
Deakin is supportive in the skill and career development of its staff, and offers great benefits and salary. They are committed to providing exceptional education to the students, and constantly look for ways to improve service delivery.
Great work life balance
Enterprise Architect (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC8 May 2017
Deakin University offers a flexible work life balance, despite being geographically diversified with campuses at multiple locations most staff can communicate using conferencing software.

Culture is typical of universities with elements of siloed operation and pay rates are not as high as other sectors. Despite this staff contracts are controlled by an enterprise agreement providing some assurances even to fix term contractors.

Most challenging part of the work was getting stakeholders to reach agreement, the organisation tends to operate more as a democratic business meaning progress can often be slowed if full agreement on initiatives hasn't been achieved. This is often the case with the Education Sector.

Overall a nice place to work with lots of work still to be done.
Pros
Virtual meetings and work life balance
Cons
Timeconsuming to achieve change
great education provider
Test Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC17 April 2017
Great education provider that deals with many different demographics.Many services provided. For example great library with extended hours, student union, gym, carparking, free student events, many on-campus eateries.
Learning document archiving
Duties - Office assistant/archivist (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Burwood VIC10 March 2017
-Documenting and listing old documents in order for storage off-site
-Collecting recycling bins from throughout the campus
-Transporting of documents to off campus storage
Pros
relaxed easy going work environment
Cons
Engaging Environment with great opportunity to develop new projects
Business Inteligence Analyst (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC10 March 2017
Deakin is a welcoming environment, that acknowledges change and its open for new pathways to support their desicion making process. Data Science is faily new to educational institutions, hence, a great work envirionment with openess to project initiatives.

Great office space and extras such as nespresso machine, standing desks, organoleptic gadgets to ensure your motivation stays put.

Fully recommended.
Pros
Innovative, Engaging, Reception to suggestions
Cons
Slow changing adaptability
Too much pressure on academic staff meaning that supporting them is necessarily inefficient.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burwood East VIC18 January 2017
Such a varied workplace that it is difficult to define one particular day for anyone. I worked casually as a student and mostly off-campus in marketing activities or in the field as a research assistant. The people I was working directly with and for were wonderful but communication between departments or even different sections within a department is somewhat lacking. For the most part, my colleagues and teachers were highly driven, passionate but often frustrated and occasionally burned out. I loved my small contribution and was very happy to be selected and employed but I wouldn't seek a full time position in a hurry.
Pros
Inspirational co-workers; Subject matter of my choice.
Cons
Lack of time for any real communication or open collaboration
Its a great place to work
Digital Marketing Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC30 December 2016
It's a great place to work
Good work / life balance
Compensation and benefits are great
Location and flexible work hours are awesome
Great support for staff
Great working enviroment
Work Placement (Former Employee) –  Waurn Ponds VIC29 December 2016
I did work experiance there and enjoyed every minute of it. i got an insite to what it is like to be a construction manager. Working both in the office and observing what goes on on-site
Good place to work and study
Graduate student (Former Employee) –  Geelong8 November 2016
Good and healthy environment. the research culture here is at international standards and of good research infracstructure
Pros
student friendly
Cons
flexible hours
Productive workplace with friendly and communicative colleagues
Part-Time Assignment Marker (Former Employee) –  Burwood VIC30 June 2016
During my time as an assignment marker, as well as my previous professional experiences at Deakin University, they were always very welcoming and helpful when it came to getting me used to my new positions and offering information when I wasn't sure about certain aspects or requirements of it.

Apart from general work ethic and overall professional experience, I also learned the value of good communication between those you are working with or working for, and how most problems can be easily solved by simply voicing concerns or asking questions of the right people.

Overall, even though I was only there part-time, it was one of my more enjoyable workplace experiences I've had.
Great colleagues and environment, terrible managers
Student Advisor, Faculty of Business & Law (Former Employee) –  Burwood VIC2 April 2016
My tenure with Deakin was enjoyable except when there was a sudden change in management and those individuals had no concept of managing people. They treat you like property or objects and have high levels of hypocrisy and double standards. It is unfortunate that such an amazing organisation is being destroyed from within by poor middle management.
Pros
great career opportunities and friendly colleagues
Cons
poor middle management that don't have any personnel management skills
Volunteer
Connect leader (Ambassador Deakin) (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC28 March 2016
To be a Connect Leader, I have a good CV to be chosen. Next, the group interview is a challenge round for any students. Then, I have to join 2 training day which takes whole day.

We can communicate with lecturers, tutors, staff and students

I learned how to become a excellent leader and how to organize a lot of students
Everything the Lecture need exist, such as education materials, entertaining, food facility.
Casual Tutor (Former Employee) –  Waurn Ponds VIC14 March 2016
In this University everything is organized, for the lecturers and tutors facility. The technology one of the most important part of the facility that made the work of the tutors easy and the best learning to the student.
Working as a Student to Promote the University
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Geelong, VIC2 November 2015
Great place to work, study and develop skills.
Working as a Student Ambassador enabled me to expand my working experience while studying. My employers understood that I was still a student but were very supportive and keen for feedback.
Always looking to improve and supper supportive.
Productive family based team effort.
House keeping (Former Employee) –  Waurn Ponds, VIC15 September 2015
Working with family member environment. Long hours but opportunity to work extra hours if required. Fas paced working environment. Tough workingconditions.
Pros
Opportunity to work extra hours.
Cons
Long Hours.