Department of Education Employee Reviews

productive and fun
Educator (Current Employee) –  Lukanji, Eastern Cape25 January 2018
It can be good and bad depending on the learners as some have baggage's from their homes like divorced parents or substance abuse so you have to use all roles of being an educator and finding yourself doing that can be straining as you have to finish the syllabus also, then the government when learners fail they turn to forget the job u were doing. What I have learned never undermine your learners always give them platform to ask and argue in a constructive manner during the lesson.
Pros
yes on Fridays its a bring and share
Cons
yes but 7 hours a day
The Department of Education NSW is responsible for the delivery of high quality education K - 12
Assistant Principal (Former Employee) –  Budgewoi NSW22 January 2018
The Department of Education in NSW is the only state to have kept the Work Placement Program active. Turning education into jobs is a priority for all high school students whether they go on to University or TAFE or take up Apprenticeships
Pros
Large department
Complex and outsorcing
Teacher Supply Relief (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD18 January 2018
Much variation between sites with students often difficult to manage. Some instructions left to follow with many students lacking prior knowledge required for tasks. Often needed to change positions within site with little to no forewarning.
Pros
Able to different ways of doing various tasks
Cons
Confussion as to implementation of continually changing the way things are done
A good place to work
Consultant Schooling Planning (Former Employee) –  Perth WA15 January 2018
The hours were good and I learnt a lot about the other side of Education and how to use Excel. The workplace culture was friendly and helpful and we worked as a team.
very good
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Lithgow NSW9 January 2018
great place to work but not secure enough for me, very nice people enjoyed going to work everyday of the week. enjoy the school holidays that occur each year
good place to work generally as find like minded people. Good salary
Support Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hobart TAS15 December 2017
Music teaching I have good work hours.
I like starting work early and finishing at 3.30pm
There is support from other teachers and management when required. Most enjoyable part of the job is seeing students achieve their goals and achieve things they thought they couldn't.
Pros
holidays to rest
Cons
shorter contact hours.
Det
HR Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Newcastle West NSW7 December 2017
As this was a temporary role for 3 months I found it to be an nice change of pace from my substantive position with NSW Police. The management were very supportive and I enjoyed my position with them.
Pros
Supportive Management
Cons
Temporary contract
A school that has many Aborinal students
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Western Highlands28 November 2017
I love to advanture and explore. I do work without much inspaction. I am really out going and i love to make friends with people and get to know them.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Extra hours
Incredible opportunity
ABORIGINAL EDUCATION SUPPORT OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Wollongong20 November 2017
This was an opportunity of a lifetime. I would really like to have an opportunity to work within this department again. I was able to design a program for an event which I had not had experience of doing and it was well received. I understood how hard it was in a classroom environment when children needed assistance, but it was rewarding to see improvements and achievements. Workplace culture was embracing and accepting. I worked on an individual basis as well as within a team. A great opportunity with many rewards.
It was fun, stressful but workable
Mailroom Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Treasury Place, Melbourne1 November 2017
Three members of my team were challenged mentally but we worked well together by explaining things to them in a way they could understand. I would show them how to do a certain task they would watch and then we would do it together.

I had a very supportive 2IC and we got on and worked very well together. Basically we were there to ensure the mail and parcels got where they were supposed to, we arranged morning and afternoon tea for meetings and cleaned up after them as well.

It was a contract position and lasted about 5 months.
Pros
Money was good my staff were great
Cons
Could be quite stressful at times when some staff did not get on
Great place
Student Learning Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Parkes NSW26 October 2017
Great place to work. Hard though when waiting on funding to see if you have a job next year. Love working with students and teachers. I have workedin 3 states and all great
Pros
Kids
Cons
A school that has supportive staff who are often put in extra time & effort for their students
Teacher Sir Joseph Banks High School (Current Employee) –  Revesby NSW19 October 2017
The good thing about working for the Dept of Education is that it offers secure employment and a lot of support when one has questions. There is always someone either at school or on the helpline who can provide you with answers. Working among people with many years experience is also beneficial as they can impart knowledge and wisdom in a variety of different circumstances. The hardest part of the job is the long hours teachers have to put in preparing for their classes; but this shows me how willing teachers are to adapt and change their classes to suit learners at different levels.
As a music teacher, it is rewarding to see students who finally grasp what it is you're trying to teach them.
Pros
Being around people in the same faculty who share similar sense of humour, life experiences & an understanding of the importance of creativity, regular holidays, supportive executive staff.
Cons
long hours before, during & after school, writing reports, student misbehaviour
Great work but contracts
Finance Officer (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA16 October 2017
Great place to work and fun to work in schools but a lot of contract work and very hard to get into a contracted role for full time making it hard to get any sort of finance
Assistant Principal (Current Employee) –  Maroubra NSW9 October 2017
Great place to work. Always satisfying and above all you are constantly trained in the most current curricular and pedagogical trends . In addition you are giving back to the community .
Pros
Hours
Cons
Hours put in no one sees
Productive and rewarding
Teacher Aide (Current Employee) –  Penrith NSW30 August 2017
Love working with children and enjoy watching the growth and development as it is a great and rewarding experience. This position is an ongoing delight for me as I feel I have skills in this area and a lot to offer by way of professional approach and a commitment to education and development.
Pros
Time
Cons
Can be emotional
Casual Teacher (Current Employee) –  Parramatta NSW16 August 2017
Working as a teacher for the Department of Education is an immensely rewarding career. The culture that surrounds the profession is one of support, collaboration, and excellence. Teachers are always willing to assist each other in any way possible.
Pros
Rewarding experiences, holidays
Was good
Teacher (Current Employee) –  New south wales14 August 2017
I loved working as am primary school teacher and it was a very rewarding job. I learnt a lot about myself and gained valuable skills as a teacher that i did not learn during univeristy
Great people and management.
Facilities, Grounds & Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  Melbourne Northern Suburbs VIC3 August 2017
The culture is great as well as the staff. Fantastic people great culture to be involved with. But ideally would like a more in-depth challenge work wise.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Not stimulating
Opportunity of working with people who care about our future.
Teacher's Aide (Current Employee) –  Albury NSW30 July 2017
I thoroughly enjoy the opportunity of working with children and as such have found mu experience as an aide totally satisfying.
The assistance offered by all the schools I have worked with has
been invaluable.
Hard work but rewarding
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW28 July 2017
It is always challenging to meet every student's needs, not an easy job, and it can make physical exhaustion by the end of the day. However, it is always very rewarding to see the students' great achievements and potential extended.
Pros
School holidays
Cons
Endless work