Department of Education Employee Reviews

Incredible opportunity
ABORIGINAL EDUCATION SUPPORT OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Wollongong20 November 2017
This was an opportunity of a lifetime. I would really like to have an opportunity to work within this department again. I was able to design a program for an event which I had not had experience of doing and it was well received. I understood how hard it was in a classroom environment when children needed assistance, but it was rewarding to see improvements and achievements. Workplace culture was embracing and accepting. I worked on an individual basis as well as within a team. A great opportunity with many rewards.
Great place
Student Learning Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Parkes NSW26 October 2017
Great place to work. Hard though when waiting on funding to see if you have a job next year. Love working with students and teachers. I have workedin 3 states and all great
Pros
Kids
Cons
A school that has supportive staff who are often put in extra time & effort for their students
Teacher Sir Joseph Banks High School (Current Employee) –  Revesby NSW19 October 2017
The good thing about working for the Dept of Education is that it offers secure employment and a lot of support when one has questions. There is always someone either at school or on the helpline who can provide you with answers. Working among people with many years experience is also beneficial as they can impart knowledge and wisdom in a variety of different circumstances. The hardest part of the job is the long hours teachers have to put in preparing for their classes; but this shows me how willing teachers are to adapt and change their classes to suit learners at different levels.
As a music teacher, it is rewarding to see students who finally grasp what it is you're trying to teach them.
Pros
Being around people in the same faculty who share similar sense of humour, life experiences & an understanding of the importance of creativity, regular holidays, supportive executive staff.
Cons
long hours before, during & after school, writing reports, student misbehaviour
Great work but contracts
Finance Officer (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA16 October 2017
Great place to work and fun to work in schools but a lot of contract work and very hard to get into a contracted role for full time making it hard to get any sort of finance
Assistant Principal (Current Employee) –  Maroubra NSW9 October 2017
Great place to work. Always satisfying and above all you are constantly trained in the most current curricular and pedagogical trends . In addition you are giving back to the community .
Pros
Hours
Cons
Hours put in no one sees
Productive and rewarding
Teacher Aide (Current Employee) –  Penrith NSW30 August 2017
Love working with children and enjoy watching the growth and development as it is a great and rewarding experience. This position is an ongoing delight for me as I feel I have skills in this area and a lot to offer by way of professional approach and a commitment to education and development.
Pros
Time
Cons
Can be emotional
Casual Teacher (Current Employee) –  Parramatta NSW16 August 2017
Working as a teacher for the Department of Education is an immensely rewarding career. The culture that surrounds the profession is one of support, collaboration, and excellence. Teachers are always willing to assist each other in any way possible.
Pros
Rewarding experiences, holidays
Was good
Teacher (Current Employee) –  New south wales14 August 2017
I loved working as am primary school teacher and it was a very rewarding job. I learnt a lot about myself and gained valuable skills as a teacher that i did not learn during univeristy
Great people and management.
Facilities, Grounds & Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  Melbourne Northern Suburbs VIC3 August 2017
The culture is great as well as the staff. Fantastic people great culture to be involved with. But ideally would like a more in-depth challenge work wise.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Not stimulating
Opportunity of working with people who care about our future.
Teacher's Aide (Current Employee) –  Albury NSW30 July 2017
I thoroughly enjoy the opportunity of working with children and as such have found mu experience as an aide totally satisfying.
The assistance offered by all the schools I have worked with has
been invaluable.

Want to know more about Department of Education?

Ask a question
Hard work but rewarding
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW28 July 2017
It is always challenging to meet every student's needs, not an easy job, and it can make physical exhaustion by the end of the day. However, it is always very rewarding to see the students' great achievements and potential extended.
Pros
School holidays
Cons
Endless work
Productive place to work at. Very 21st century inclined. Moving with the times technology wise.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW/South Coast NSW24 July 2017
I have had a very rewarding 29 years working with the Department of Education. Have moved to Sydney to do casual teaching and tutoring till retirement
Pros
The children
Cons
Heavy workload
Excellent
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Sebastian VIC15 July 2017
Its fun and enjoyable...in teaching the child especially when the learned. It gives an aspiration to them to build their skills, abilities and capacity to develop them holistically.
Wireless Upgrade Project
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD26 June 2017
Managed assessments of sites, design of equipment, procurement, implementation, post implementation support
The Department of Education Queensland is a government department and works along government lines.
The management is driven by public service processes.
training
IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  Hobart TAS18 June 2017
Education Department is a friendly and supportive place to work.
Management are supporting and always willing to have an open mind. I enjoyed my time while working here
Pros
training
Cons
working with children need a lot of patients
Teacher 1 (Former Employee) –  PH27 May 2017
I worked as a primary school teacher from grades 1 to 6. Experience wise is very rich and learning new skills along the way. Every year different children.
Pros
full of beautiful experience everytime
Cons
plenty of patients
Secure, reliable, high stress job
Tasmania, Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Tasmania17 May 2017
Great if you love children and teaching.
You work long hours, there's not much flexibility in the times you take leave.
It's very rewarding. Great if you have supportive staff.
Its hard
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Kurri Kurri NSW19 April 2017
You are too busy controlling behaviour to be an affective teacher.
I loved teaching drama because that is so different then a regimental classroom teacher. You have freedom to allow students to explore themselves and their environment much more effective way of teaching
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Too much takd home work
Working alongside other team members
Teachers Aide (Current Employee) –  Campbelltown NSW16 April 2017
Working with other teachers is great, we work as a team and achieve the goals we needed to achieve. On the other hand, the main department are the ones who call the shots in pay cuts and hours which is a downfall
Pros
Great experience, learning alongside a great team
Cons
The department tends to weigh in what's right to them
working in the depertment of education is fun and productive
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philippines11 April 2017
The department gives us reasonable time and days of work. They support us in our professional growth and needs. The department is well balanced in managing the people and open to cultural diversity. The hardest part of my job are the paper works and report that we have to prepare. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the children and with my co-worker.
Pros
the support us in our educational growth
Cons
they give us reasonable time to work