Department of Family and Community Services

Department of Family and Community Services Employee Reviews

very productive and easy to get along with
Policy Project Officer (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW10 April 2017
a typical day would be conducting social research. I learned to never take people for granted as no cases are the same. Data needed to be reviewed to ensure that it was input correctly.
Productive and fun workplace
HR, PAYROLL & RECRUITMENT CLIENT SERVICE OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW22 January 2017
Great place to work, fun friendly and great culture.
Supporting management along with great perks and benefits.
Training and Learning opportunities are also great
Array of opportunities
Workforce Readiness Staff Support Offcer (Current Employee) –  Newcastle NSW8 May 2016
For the period of employment within FACS (and ADHC) I have been offered an array of opportunities that have allowed me to develop and learn many skills.
ADHC is undergoing a major change as part of the introduction of the much awaited NDIS and as such is a very exciting, though sometimes difficult, place to work as this is a significant change and impacts staff in many different ways. None the less as a learning opportunity it is second to none.
Pros
Great opportunities
Cons
A high degree of ongoing change
Hard work but rewarding
Carer (Current Employee) –  Northern Rivers11 January 2016
1. Rewarding
2. Making sure that the clients needs are met
3. Learning patience and empathy as well as buliding rapport
4. Clients feeling comfortable with myself
5. Laughing with my clients
6. Generally enjoying each others company
Pros
Meeting all walks of life and dealing with each of their different needs
Cons
Split shifts, early starts
Undergoing significant changes and challenges
Senior Project Officer (Current Employee) –  Ashfield, NSW5 January 2016
FACS continues to chnage dramatically as it moves towrads a more 'out source' service provider model. FACS and in particular public housing staff and its cleints are feeling that they are not valued by the organisation.
Pros
My colleagues are great, highly skilled and driven to make real cange in peoples lives
Cons
Poor senior executive leadership.
First job after university. Learnt a lot from this job.
Client Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Canberra, ACT28 November 2015
Worked long hours in this job. Main duties include receipting and processing form from the agency., phone calls, mail, filing and going to the bank. Too much workload. Enjoy processing the forms.
Pros
Flexible time hours of work
Cons
Long hours and too much workload.
Poor Management, Poor Culture
Resource Manager (Former Employee) –  Liverpool17 November 2015
Currently going through a restructure which has been severely paralizing to the workforce. Poor Management, who set no direction and are removing skilled resources without reason. Lower level staff are fantastic.
Meeting interesting Clients, fast paced environment, Good Salary and Staff, good personal and employment development
Client Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Charlestown, NSW16 August 2015
Diverse range of tasks to deliver in one day. Included field work, to work as part of a team, and individually . Developed and learned to work with clients from a diverse cultural background, disabilities and substance abuse issues. Management can be supportive and also challenging, but overall small amount of politics, but this is to be expected working in the Public Service. Great Staff to work with from different employment backgrounds. The hardest part of the job is meeting tight deadlines, KPIs and managing complaints and challenging clients with disabilities or substance abuse issues. The job is rewarding, good balance of job/family life, supports single parents, good salary package and superannuation, good holidays/flex days.
Pros
good lunch breaks, salary and holidays
Cons
Fluctuating hours and somtimes long (Overtime)
a great professional organisation to work for
DISABILITY SUPPORT WORKER (Current Employee) –  illawarra7 August 2015
I enjoy working for an organisation that is the pillar of standards and an industry leader which ensures the highest service to the most vulnerable people in our society.
I have been given the opportunity to learn a great deal through this organisation. I have chosen to ultilise all available training opportunities in the different work areas available to me. I have worked in community development skill /job /life development. Crisis Care.Respite care for adults and children with challenging behaviours and high health needs. I have worked in accommodation care. I have case managed numerous clients over 14yrs.
Pros
being able to make positive changes in disadvantaged lives
Cons
shift work
Thoroughly enjoyed my job as a Training Administrator.
Corporate Learning & Development Training Program (Former Employee) –  Glebe NSW14 March 2015
Enjoyed working with an exceptional group of people who are dedicated to delivering the best training possible in the field of child protection to case workers and other stakeholders in Community Services.
As a Training Administrator I was responsible for the non-government sector training program (NGOTP) for NSW in the organisation and coordinating of training delivery between participants, trainers and venues - in addition to ensuring all training materials were organised and delivered to each training event.
As with any job with many balls in the air - as long as you are organised - all is well.
Pros
Great people and working environment.
Cons
No real issues - loved it there - left to be closer to my family.
Hills dementia, alzheimer's and age care
CLIENT SERVICE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Baulkham Hills, AUS28 February 2015
Management of the delivery team to ensure that projects are delivered successfully. Support all aspects of delivery from project start to delivery of final presentation. Creation of all marketing materials, strict adherence to project timelines. Effectively interface with internal teams (fielding, delivery), ability to work with delivery teams working remotely. Ensuring project objectives are met and findings are presented with a high degree of professionalism, in a timely manner to ensure that clients are delighted with the work we do and the manner in which we do it.
not the greatest job but pays the bills
Transport officer (Current Employee) –  Stockton, NSW16 November 2014
not the greatest job but pays the bills on time
being a government job it can be frustrating at times
Mutlidicisplinary environment. On-going on the job training. Team work
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gosford, NSW17 September 2014
1) A typical day at my previous employer was being a receptionist. Answering incoming phone calls, greet visitors/staff at the reception. Filing, typing, catering for meeting venues and liaising with multi-disciplinary team.

2) Department of Family and Community Services deals with disadvantage families. I learnt confidentiality. discretion, empathy and not to be judgemental.

3) Management was great. Personal planning and review monthly was put in placed in order to accommodate staff such as myself for further training and development.

4) There was no hardest part of the job as I have been accustomed to multi-tasking. I believe that my time management skills helped me cope with any given job. I offer assistance whenever necessary without compromising my own workload. It was challenging and rewarding at the same time.

5) The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to perform my duties as it helps my team to make their job more manageable ie filing, maintenance of motor vehicles, photocopying, meetings and maintenance of databases.
Pros
Flexible lunch hours
Cons
None ... :)
Housing Operations NSW
Data Processing and Inbound Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Liverpool Sydney7 January 2014
Fun friendly work environment learning new skills and how the operations of housing people of NSW is done. Management is great to talk to if you need assistance with anything.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Family and Community Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Department of Family and Community Services Reviews by Location