Department of Human Services Employee Reviews

Job satisfaction and growth
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Perth WA6 December 2017
Summing up my work with the department of human services encompassed growth and understanding of policy and purpose giving me tools to further myself.
Pros
Structure and learning
Cons
Located to far from my abode
highly stressful
SO Level (Current Employee) –  Geelong VIC16 November 2017
Highly stressful place to work, Managers have nil empathy with staff, and mangers are hypocrites, the care factor for staff is zero, consultation in regard to changes does not exist.
Managers Breach the APS legislation all the time
High pressure environment
Senior Policy Advisor Project officer- Pharmacy (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT15 November 2017
Can be a high pressure environment but are well compensated and supported for the challenges of client facing issues. Client expecations would be the hardest part of the position but staff and management are very supportive and it has a strong coaching culture
Production changing work place
CUSTOMER SERVICE OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD5 November 2017
Department of Human Services was a challenging but rewarding role which had changes occurring every day due to regulations which I thoroughly enjoyed and adapted to change. Team environment was amazing and a great team to work with however needing to change career roles and strive to enter the banking or insurance industry and work towards moving up the ladder within the banking industry.
Pros
Team moral great guaranteed permanent role
Cons
Very demanding and challenging at times
Always have a back up plan
APS4 Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD25 October 2017
most jobs are contracted without a guarantee of extending the contracts. Expectations are very high and pressure is put on you to get everything right all at once. The money is alright but the work and pressure may effect your mental health in the long run unless you're one of those people that excel in everything from the beginning.
Pros
pay
Cons
almost everything else
Used to be fun end enjoyable workplace
CUSTOMER SERVICE OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW12 September 2017
If you want to help people and contribute to the public, this is the right place. Most rewarding part of my job was helping customers in need. I did enjoy working with in my team of diverse people.
This job can be extremely rewarding, but sometimes it comes with a high level of stress.
Pros
Great people and team culture
Cons
Heavily understaffed
helpful colleagues, knowledgeable
Senior Functional Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC30 August 2017
I enjoyed my time at DHHS, learnt about new system and it's functionalities. Led the quarterly release cycle for the change requests. Build relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
DHS Great place to work
House Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC6 August 2017
Enjoyed my time at DHS immensely and loved working with the people I supported and the people I worked with. I advanced from a casual to a house supervisor and given many great opportunities.
Secure job
Assist customers to access (Former Employee) –  Tweed Heads NSW27 July 2017
Very very busy job, lots of accountability
Work force is predominately casual and can be very insecure
Being casual you aren't treated as valued employee
The friendships and teamwork of the casuals, renumeration
Jen
Disability Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC18 July 2017
The day can be great but it does depend on the staff , if you have new untrained staff on it can be a night mare , residents play on it and you are left to teach and train people that should be a team member not an extra burden. I enjoy supporting and teaching our clients and working with competent staff . I would love to have time to teach new staff how to best support our clients
Pros
Empowering
Cons
Mentally draining
working for the department of human service for nine years has it's ups and downs
Service Delivery officer (Former Employee) –  Port Augusta SA17 July 2017
typical day we would log in take call and answer customer enquiries process payments and try and help vulnerable customers
I have learnt a lot in my role how to deliver payments and services to customer in need
we had to manage our work loads and data bases if we need to complete review for customer
the hardest part of my job was keeping up with changes in payments as we were trained in most payment streams
the most rewarding part of my job was helping customers in need
Pros
full time emplyment
Cons
dealing with customers in need mostly at their most stressed times in their life
Senior Business / System Ana;yst
Senior System/Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Canberra ACT2 July 2017
Developing business intelligence reports and data warehousing solutions from Medicare EDW. Data analysis, data profiling, ETL from legacy and core systems.
Interact with business users to analyze the business process and requirements and transforming requirements into system
A great place to work with staff and clients
Disability Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Geelong VIC11 June 2017
Looking after residents with disabilities in Supported Accommodation, helping them live life to the full and supporting them to be independent, great staff to work with and excellent pay and conditions. The work can be challenging depending on the severity of the disability and mood at the time.
Pros
Clients, Fellow Staff and Wages
Cons
Nil
Was okay but not my cup of tea!
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Cairns City QLD7 June 2017
Great pay. That's about it :) If you like working indoors with technology for long periods of time, then this is the job for you! I unfortunately left this job mainly due to the long hours away from my children.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Long Hours, no time with family
First role secured upon completion of Bachelor Degree
CASE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Geelong VIC5 June 2017
A wonderful foray into the world of professional government services. As an enthusiastic human services practitioner I found the management team and colleagues enthusiastic and encouraging in my development as a practitioner.
Full of nice people very committed to public health
Project Officer, Funding and Planning (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC28 May 2017
The job involved lots of liaison with people who wanted to see the provision of public health services provided to all. There was plenty of opportunities to identify improvements and was very rewarding to see additional funding provided in the community health network.
Secure tenure but suits IT rather than policy professionals
Director, Information Branch (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT23 May 2017
Lovely people and interesting work but is better suited to IT professionals. Workplace culture can be an issue due to the need to provide timely and accurate services to all Australians despite ageing computer systems.
Excellent trainers with great a work environment
Short term Casual Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Dowsing Point23 May 2017
A rotating roster 5 hr shift 5 Days a week, assisting customers with address changes, updating income and family tax benefit enquires.
I learnt many aspects of customer service, and how to manage the conversion flow.
Challenging Role
Customer Service Officer (Casual) (Current Employee) –  South Brisbane QLD17 April 2017
Learnt many new skills. Can be a stressful job but very rewarding. Lots of training available. Good staff to work with. Hours suited my situation. Pleasant environment.
Workplace Culture is Good
Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC8 April 2017
Enjoyed working at Department of Human Services as the work culture is very good. Management is very open and reachable. Work Life balance is good. Team activities are encouraging.