Griffith University Employee Reviews

Fun workplace
Residential Advisor (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD24 August 2017
I worked with this university for a short period for several years and thoroughly enjoyed my time there.

I would recommend anyone working with this organisation.
Pros
Free accomodation
Cons
productive and fun study place with lovely mates
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD28 July 2017
productive and fun study place with lovely mates.
I cleaned alone the road and beach. I made friends with different people from different cultural background.
Good but short time worked
Event Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brisbane Central Business District QLD26 July 2017
I only worked for them for one day so it wasn't a very good thing to compare to other professions, if I worked for them for longer i would enjoy the expereince based of my one day
Secure workplace with good benefits.
Client Administration Officer (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD25 June 2017
Griffith is a secure employer, with good benefits to employees. Very competitive salary and providing opportunities to career advancement with regular secondment positions.
very typical of a university setting
Senior Lecturer - Advanced Middle Schooling (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD12 June 2017
This part time opportunity was always going to be short term but I enjoyed every minute. The preparation for lectures is understandably demanding but I enjoyed this as it gave me the foundation knowledge I needed for my lectures. I certainly loved the lecturing and follow up tutorials. The results of my students were excellent and the feedback that I received as their stand-in lecturer was also excellent.
Pros
Great in terms of doing something with my school based knowledge
Cons
The short term nature of my contract
Relaxed work place
Sessional Staff (Former Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD28 May 2017
As a research staff, Griffith University is a good place to keep studying in terms of study environment; quiet, clean and friendly if you have a continuous fund.
Campus Life Does Not Value Well Educated Technical Professionals
Sustainability Engineer (former employee) (Former Employee) –  Nathan, Brisbane, QLD, Australia26 April 2017
Employed on 3 year fixed-term contract as Griffith's first ever "energy engineer" (in a small engineering services team of two engineers - electrical and mechanical) to advise on and implement sustainable energy projects and programs to reduce energy consumption and carbon emissions (report to Federal Government), and achieve energy cost savings across their five campus, a total of over 100 buildings.

The most frustrating part of the job was (1) severe budget limitations and resource conflict (outside of major CAPEX) to implement a major project that would have a greater impact on energy cost savings and emission reductions, and (2) working well outside the PD and well above your pay grade.
Pros
Good work/life balance, generous employer super contribution, good, friendly & cooperative work colleagues, work was initially challenging
Cons
Poor work culture, run by administrators (not technical people), no positive direction by management, poor job security, no advancement opportunities, average salary, no support staff, no career development, no contract renewal, managers are not people oriented.
cutting costs
Scientific Officer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD25 April 2017
A student downturn in 2020 means that the uni is preparing now to cut costs.
The people are great and work long and hard to maintain the standards provided in the past.
A large organisation with some opportunities for advancement.
COORDINATOR ADMINISTRATION & EVENTS (Current Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD23 April 2017
This employer is good to work for, however opportunities to advance are limited. I'm at a stage in my career where I need further challenges and opportunities to grow,
Pros
Great working conditions
Cons
Limited opportunities for advancement.
A great place to work. Best place to grow.
Program Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Mt Gravatt QLD26 March 2017
A company that cares about their employees. Forever growing to new heights, and meeting new and interesting people. Working with Griffith has helped me grow and discover where I want my career to go for the future.
A concentrate and quiet workplace
Assistant in Soil and Geo Lab (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD21 February 2017
I gained a particular skill on classifying types of soil from over 100 soil samples around Queensland. I learned some very basic step to set up experiments for soils. My tutor was always helpfull and enthusiastic when explaining different methods for me. It a quiet place though, I still enjoyed the atmosphere of concentration on working.
A continuation position from Project Officer
PA/Administrative Support Officer, Law School (Former Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD11 February 2017
Once I completed a very successful project for the Dean, my position was extended to assist the Emeritus Professor in writing a book together with support staff for other faculty staff.
Pros
Excellent working conditions and staff
Cons
Continuation was not possible due to permanent staff reshuffle
No work-life balance
Lecturer, Health (Current Employee) –  QLD12 January 2017
This is the first job I am planning to leave after only 1 year of employment. I will resign as soon as I can obtain another job due to the significant unpaid overtime required for an academic teaching scholar role. It lacks any work-life balance. Employees need to work evenings, weekends, holidays and even check emails while on annual leave!
Pros
Great place for researchers
Cons
Significant overtime required without any extra pay
Diverse range of duties, Great bosses, Interesting work, Great social life.
Stenographer - Site and Buildings Division (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD28 December 2016
I enjoyed mixing with the staff, academics and students. I was a member of the University's social vollleyball team, and I was well liked by everyone at Griffith University. It was a really great place to work, however I did miss the Gold Coast and eventually returned home to be with family and to concentrate on my voluntary work in the indigenous community,
Pros
Good pay, superannuation, social club, great working conditions, friendly co-workers
Cons
commuting to Brisbane daily from the Gold Coast was hard.
good environment for study and research
Casual Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD5 December 2016
Griffith University provided financial, skilled development, seminar and workshop and other support for PhD students.
Something new everyday
(Finance) - Category Manager (Current Employee) –  Nathan QLD1 November 2016
I Enjoy the challenge of end to end sourcing of contracts, learning new skills such as ICT tenders. Being more hands on with the Qtender process has allowed me to add to my developing range of skills.
Pros
Challenge & learning new skills
Cons
Distance from Home
Griffith University is one of the world’s top 100 universities under the age of 50.
PhD Researcher/ Sessional Tutor (Current Employee) –  risbane, Australia17 February 2016
Decisions matter to you and the University, as they affect your experience as a student. Whilst Griffith University tries to create a learning environment and culture that supports productive learning, sometimes things may not function as expected.
Productive and Inspiring place to work
Student Facilitator/Mentor Uni (Former Employee) –  Loganlea QLD15 December 2015
Usually we set up for the arriving high school students and take them around campus to different activities that are there to encourage students to go to university.
Excellent study environment
Student (Former Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD3 November 2015
Excellent campus to be studying with like minded people and life enriched tutors. Availability of support for whatever area of need. Tutors are available at any time to help guide your studies.
Awesome Experience working with younger generation
LEAD MENTOR (Former Employee) –  Meadowbrook, Logan9 September 2015
Fun Work place with supportive management.
Great environment with great people.
Personal Development opportunities
Pros
Free lunches