Kmart Employee Reviews

For young kids inly
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orange nsw19 September 2017
Worked here when I was at school, was good for an after school/weekend job but wouldn't do it as a full time job. Overtime opportunities are great and pay well
working hard
Customer service and put away stocks (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC18 September 2017
Its a job were there was no need to just roam around and the workers that we worked together with were really great as well as the manage.She was very supported when we needed help with something.
Productive yet not rewarding workplace
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Templestowe VIC18 September 2017
Although i enjoy the retail atmosphere of a job, i cannot say my experience with kmart was 'excellent'. Keeping in mind that i was working whilst juggling my VCE.

for the first two months of working there, i was unpaid and the managers were not charismatic. at times, expectations of worker abilities were overestimated and this would put pressure on the team. sadly, i had to eventually stop working at Kmart because i found it a difficult place to work and i had other priorities such as my school life.

however, i often found work very fast paced which is great because i love when work is busy. this made it feel as if the shifts went quickly.

my typical shift was working in the change rooms which i liked because i got to communicate with so many different types of customers and ensuring that they get the best service and products that we offer.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Harsh Management
Unsatisfied
Layby (Former Employee) –  South Hedland WA18 September 2017
A typical day at work was good at first then after a while got boring because I was doing the same stuff every day. When I got to do or learn something new I enjoyed it. Management was good and the other employees were fun. The job didn't really fit me because I love learning new things.
Great workplace
Trainee Manager (Former Employee) –  Devonport TAS18 September 2017
Kmart was my first job growing up and it was easily one of the best places to work as a young teen. The managers were always friendly and helped you learn valuable skills that you can take anywhere
Fun work place
Assist customer enquiries (Former Employee) –  Modbury SA15 September 2017
although it was only for a weeks worth of work placement, i learned a lot fro my supervisor who wasn't very much older then me and we had a lot of the same interest. Amazing team work helping and working together and learning from one another.
Pros
long lunch breaks
Cons
hours of standing
Productive but didnt get much hours.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Queensland14 September 2017
Kmart was a great place, the thing was I did not get much hours which really got me looking for another job, some people were great to be around and some werent. Fun loving environment though.
Enjoyed my time with Kmart, Excellent working conditions, great staff
CUSTOMER SERVICE TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Keilor Downs VIC14 September 2017
Register position, loved the interaction with customers, learned the service desk which was very complex, Management was very good, all staff were very pleasant and helpful, I found that the greeter position was probably the hardest to cope with, most enjoyable was the interaction with customers and being able to assist them with their enquiries.
Pros
Great staff and management
a great first job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mt Barker SA12 September 2017
A perfect job for someone who is looking for their first job. I learnt many skills that I would take to my future jobs. I also made many friends from my time at Kmart the overall culture was very welcoming.
A decent job, albeit my first.
Recovery, customer service and sales assistant. (Former Employee) –  Karratha WA11 September 2017
It was an okay job, that I quit because we moved. In terms of hours and workplace environment, both were fairly standard. I knew when I was working and what I would be doing, and the fellow staff members were supportive and enjoyable to work alongside. The management was experienced and were always available for help and support.
Pros
Excellent working environment.
Cons
A little tedious at times, but all in all a good job.
Great first Job
Clothing Attendent (Former Employee) –  Alice Springs NT9 September 2017
Chain store, great first job if you want a taste of Retail. Great prices for everyone looking for a bargain. Enjoyed my time at KMart and learnt a few things.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Productive and Fun!
Customer service (Former Employee) –  West Lakes SA9 September 2017
Loved working here.
The people and stuff overall where the sweetest things ever!
The time you worked too was very flexible and managed to it's fullest
management sucks
Customer service and management (Former Employee) –  Joondalup WA7 September 2017
Kmart team members are great to work with. They are fun, outgoing, friendly and most of all helpful. The only problem with Kmart is the management due to lack of communication and in some cases rude.
Not Consistent
Casual Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chatswood NSW6 September 2017
I have worked at Kmart for 5 years, and myself and many other employees in my position are losing our shifts to younger and cheaper staff. The rostering system is instore only which is difficult when you are not receiving regular work.
Productive and fun workplace with some friendly people
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Marrickville Metro NSW6 September 2017
Overall, Kmart has been a learning experience for me, an average day at Kmart would be, detailing the store and cleaning up after my department, working in the fitting rooms so dealing with customers regularly and dealing with phone calls. Kmart's roster system needs to be changed as they are un-organised and unreliable majority of the time, as they would cut people's shifts without any notice or swap and change them without any consent.
Pros
Great Staff besides some, Good hours while it lasted
Cons
Unnorganised staff, Unorganised Rosters
Nice place to start a retail career BUT
Retail Worker (Current Employee) –  Waratah NSW5 September 2017
Kmart is a wonderful place for a person looking to begin their career in retail. It provides a detailed education in the responsibilities of working in retail, an in depth understanding of the hierarchy in retail and exposure to a variety of customer service experiences.

HOWEVER

Personally I've found the team at Kmart to have such an unhappy and unenthusiastic attitude to their work and the company. I believe this is due to the feeling of segregation between social classes within the team as well as an inapproachable management staff. OVER NINE TIMES I've officially and formally enquired about further training and more shifts, each time being promised that management and admin would look into it however I never received any response, in fact the same people I had previously asked had seemingly "forgotten" about my questions despite me writing polite notes to serve as reminders to these particular staff members (that they've obviously discarded). When I went to present my questions and complaints to higher management I was turned around with nothing but another empty promise that they'll look into it. It's been over a month since I've been rostered or contacted for a shift and despite me asking about the reason behind my lack of work and when I could next have a shift, nothing has come of it.

In conclusion I believe that Kmart is a great place to start working in retail but I suggest that after gaining enough experience and training an employee should move on to a more secure and comfortable job.
Pros
Experience, exposure to various customer service situations, training
Cons
Bad management, poor teamwork, lacking motivation, no job security, no support, incredibly rare opportunities to be promoted and/or further career
ok
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glendale NSW4 September 2017
Management were ok. sometimes because there are so many managers there is some miscommunication. there is also an imbalance with the shifts. once you get to a certain age they stop putting you on because ou become too expensive
Great first job
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Kippa-Ring, QLD Aus4 September 2017
I worked with Kmart Australia for over 3 years and left after I graduated as I got a full time job. I enjoyed working with this company and was quickly promoted whilst working there.
It's a great place to work but...
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Redbank Plains QLD2 September 2017
It's a great place to work but, sometimes it's stressful, we've been asked to do a lot more then we should be in the time of our shifts (e.g: working a three hour shift and asked to do three or more areas.
Pros
Fun management and team mates
Cons
Not enough hours/ to many team members
great "for now" job. no room for opportunities. very little chance of full-time work.
KMART TEAM MEMBER (Current Employee) –  Western Australia1 September 2017
great job for a short period of time or if you are studying/have other commitments. the workplace morale definitely isn't thriving.
no room for opportunities and rare full-time positions available.
decent causal rate.
Pros
decent casual rate
Cons
lacking workplace morale and very little opportunities

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kmart. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8