Kmart Employee Reviews

It is a good place to work while in school
Register Operator (Current Employee) –  Loganholme QLD18 January 2018
Working at Kmart is a good place to work while being in school because I don't get a lot of hours. Customers are mostly friendly, often I get some impatient customer but that is normal everywhere. Other customers are very nice and I can easily have a relaxed conversation with them. The managers that work with me are pretty calm and laid back, just enough that they aren't strict but they also make sure we get our work done properly. I love working with my coworkers because they are all really nice and easy to get along with. Everyone that works there loves to chat and ask how you're going.
Pros
We get a discount for working there and half off certain clothing items
Cons
Sometimes I get shifts outside of my available hours.
Great staff and customers
Casual Employee (Current Employee) –  Burwood East VIC15 January 2018
Kmart has been a great place to work during my years of high school, but now that I am going into year 12 I need something closer to where I live. Kmart was fun and the team members are super friendly and I learned a lot about what it is like in a workplace, considering this was my first job. The customer service manager changed a lot while I was there and so it was hard to move up to more challenging positions while I was there.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Short hours
Kmart Life
Team Member (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Hervey Bay QLD12 January 2018
Working at Kmart has provided me with experience within the retail industry, giving me more of an opportunity to expand my job searches.

While working at Kmart, unboxing new stock and replenishing shelving, has given me an idea of laboring, while helping customers find items. This has improved my customer service skills and gave me real situations of quick thinking.

The workplace is an amazing store to be at, however it does have some down sides. Some employees tend to get hasty or rude at times, however it gets sorted out quite quickly.
Nice Coworkers, horrible treatment by management
Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  Belmont VIC12 January 2018
I worked there for 2 and a half years. They wouldn't let me move from casual to part time (there's another girl who's been there for 5 years as a casual and they won't let her move to part time). I would go months without getting a shift, I would frequently ask for regular shifts, they would say "yeah sure, of course" and give me three Saturday shifts in a row and then completely ghost me for another month until I said something again. The benefits were somewhat average. A plus is that you got 50% off most clothing but the clothing had to be approved by managers before (you couldn't buy hoodie, sweatpants or anything that isn't work appropriate) the negative is that then you were given only 5% off the rest of the store (or 10% if you were apart of the union).
Fun workplace
Unboxing pallets, stacking shelves (Current Employee) –  Logan City QLD11 January 2018
Every shift we have to finish unboxing every box each pallet, have to finish under 3 hours. Also push cages and stack shelves if finished with pallets
Productive and enjoyable work environment.
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Reservoir VIC11 January 2018
Overall enjoyable. Can't complain. Snacks in the break room. Got enough shifts and regularly asked to come in on other days through text or calls. Enjoyable work environment.
Pros
Regular breaks.
Cons
Short shifts.
great company to work for
Team member (Former Employee) –  Morayfield QLD7 January 2018
I was involved in the setup of Kmart at morayfield.
It was very well organised and mangement where very helpful.
There where always deadlines to keep too especially with the setup of the store. i learnt a lot from kmart.
The staff members where happy and well informed of all procedures such as ohs and cleaning of the store.
Pros
xmas parties
Cons
not enough hours
Pusrchasing items before leaving work
Cleaning Sub Contractor (Former Employee) –  Smithfield QLD5 January 2018
Arrive at work at 4:10 am in the morning, enter and secure building before starting work at 5:00am using the mop broom, my co-worker and I scale the entire area of dust, items and stickers. Whilst I begin scrubbing the areas covered, my co-worker spot mops the isles of sticky substances or dried up spills and clean areas behind the registers, and dressing rooms, removing and replacing rubbish bags in bins. Then I begin buffing the same areas covered and required for that day whilst my co-worker does general cleaning of backhouse. By 7am the manager and other staff members arrive to set up...we get rid of all rubbish in the warehouse bins and speak to manager before signing out and be guided out by manager, staff or security. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting the staff and having chuckles with the before leaving the premises...we would also be the first to use the self serve registers on our pay days to purchase any items we saw that was desirable to purchase...also to see the smiles on the staff's faces that appreciate the time we take to keep their work environment clean and sanitised.
Pros
good salary
Cons
lack of communication with other sub contractors
Best place to work
Retail/ customer service (Former Employee) –  Western Australia, Kalgoorlie4 January 2018
Was a clean environment and organized, managers were all lovely and best company. Were easy to work with and nicest people you’ll ever meet.

I learnt more computer skills and the hardest part was putting up with rude customers or stealers
Pros
10% discount
Cons
Stealers and rude customers
Fun work place, get along with all staff members and are flexible with hours
Customer service assistant & Floor service (Current Employee) –  Southland Centre VIC3 January 2018
- A typical day at work consists of helping customer issues or queries, , stock management, and working with other staff members
- Learnt how to work under pressure and problems that may arise when working on a very busy day
- Management understanding and help with any issues that need to be resolved
- Everyone gets along in the work place, and have made very good friends
- Hardest part about working there is dealing with some tough customers, however I've learned to work through these difficulties in order to give the customers the best possible experience when shopping with the store
- Most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help customers to make them happy, and also having made very good friends.
feel like a number
Senior Fitting Room Attendant (casual) (Former Employee) –  Clarkson WA3 January 2018
My experience with Kmart was very disappointing. As a person I felt invisible, and as an employed I was undervalued. There was minimal personal training nor official communication of expectations and yet the manager was regularly criticising staff for things not being done to their expectations. Pay was low, penalty pay was cut
Pros
staff discount on products
Cons
low pay, feeling undervalued and invisible until it was time to pass blame
Very unsatisifying job
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Brunswick VIC2 January 2018
very little training, learning on the job, very little hours available, not satisfying or rewarding. not very fun, customers are mean and disloyal, managers do not care about each team member
fun worker place and meeting new people
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA2 January 2018
I would like to be team member of Kmart because it's fun to work, new opportunity and meeting new people. getting experience with work and learning more about management and responsibilities.
Pros
good pay
Cons
long hours of shifts
Review
Team Member | Casual (Former Employee) –  Rockhampton QLD1 January 2018
During my time at Kmart it was a good job to start with. However, I don't feel as though it is a great place to stay for a long period of time. The work ethic at Kmart is great, however, they do not treat staff very professionally or kindly.
good for high school when i didn't know any better
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Innisfail QLD28 December 2017
Felt like I got taken advantage of cause it was my first job. Good in high school but when I left no guarantee of hours and easily replaced. Put 110% into my job and never felt like anyone cared (besides a couple of nice management staff).
Pros
worked with friends through high school
Cons
bad hours, bad pay, bad experience.
Fun and rewarding
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Chermside QLD23 December 2017
Kmart has a team that knows what customers want and deliver in a timely manor. All member strive to take the initiative to serve customers know how to treat others with respect and great each other upon arrival.
Pros
Fast paced
excellent team work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wangaratta VIC20 December 2017
I worked in the Ladies apparel section. Duties included stock take, stock rotation, customer service, ordering of stock. Also register trained, cash handling and eftpos transactions.
I love working with orther
Team Member (Former Employee) –  New South Wales16 December 2017
It was the best work I done in my life I would work there again I really like to know if I could work again if they wood have me but I don't live in my old address
Pros
Packing
Cons
Long
Kmart is...
CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Ipswich QLD15 December 2017
Just the typical day in customer service. Expectations can be a bit high, but that can change from manger to manager. workplace culture is, again, different store to store.

Hardest part: putting up with the grumpy customers.

Most enjoyable part: getting those customers that really appreciate your time, and don't treat you like dirt.
Pros
5% discount
Cons
no stability even if you bend over backwards for them
good first job
Senior team member (Current Employee) –  Sylvania NSW13 December 2017
Management was more focused on cost saving rather than hiring good workers, good for growing customer service skills, workplace culture was quite good.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kmart. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8