Metro Trains Melbourne Employee Reviews

Good job culture, people are great to work with and always share knowledge and experiences, however there is still a silo mentality
Group Train Driver Manager Metro North (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC17 August 2017
In train services, it's a very reactive area of the business where you learn to think on your feet and sort out the issues as they come to hand. The workplace culture is great, a place where all can share their knowledge and experiences. Metro management are always striving to better themselves with a lot of internal and external courses available for all staff. The hardest part of the job was dealing with train fatalities and the stresses placed on Drivers and the most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction you get when you can assist employees through their difficult situations.
Pros
Free travel on public transport
Cons
Poor work/life balance
Poorly managed, and terrible culture
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC31 July 2017
Metro Trains is a very management-heavy company, yet nothing seems to be managed well. There is no drive for efficiency as they are spending tax-payers money. There is a culture which values hierarchy above all else, and if you have something to say, they encourage you to sweep it under the rug rather than try to remedy it. The work culture breeds people who are more concerned with climbing the ladder than doing a good job, the company does nothing to assist in development of its employees, and nepotism is rampant when it comes to performance reviews. There are 3 kinds of people who works at Metro: People who are too lazy and incompetent to work elsewhere and hide behind the bureaucracies of Metro, people who have never worked elsewhere so don't know any better, and miserable people. The company could sack 30% of its workforce and the same amount of work would get done. The renumeration is quite poor as well, except for for a handful of people.
Pros
Free public transport
Cons
Work here for too long and you will become useless
Good Company
Asset Strategy Specialist (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC6 June 2017
Metro is a very good company with mature HR policies. It is hampered in implementing a number of sound initiatives due to the fixed time-frames and contractual obligations of the franchise system.
Avoid if you want a life.
Leading Station Assistant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC5 March 2017
I took this "Leading Station Job." job out of desparation. The rotationg roster is a killer especially standing up day in day out. You're working 9 days straight every roster period. Passengers (majority) looks down on you.

Management treats your position like a second rate employee. There is no work/life balance. No consideration of important family occasions like weddings & the like.

You are constantly being watched on camera like a prisoner.

At late nights you are by yourself while dealing with louts especially Friday & Saturday nights.

There is no job satisfaction or sense of achievement.
Pros
Rate of pay
Cons
Overall, Metro Trains has some great people working there.
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC11 November 2016
This was a temp role and I learnt a lot about Metro Trains. The staff there were really nice people and I enjoyed working there for the short period. Any time I needed assistance, I could go to any of the staff and they would assist when/where they could
Pros
Friendly team
Cons
Too short a work contract
Assistant OIC/Control Room Supervisor
Assistant Station Manager/Control Room (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC24 October 2016
Varied work each shift, this depended on Trains running to schedule & or lines having any disruptions.
Base salary was only $65,000 and with penalty rates bought annual wage close to $110,000.
It was a good learning due to different working personal along with having in each shift dealing with unsatisfied passengers.
Management made an attempt to assist introducing daily personal presentations in an endeavour for each employee to feel as though you were helping them develop and encourage everyday passengers enjoy their daily trip to their destination.
With a wide range of staff from varied country of origan made it very interesting and helped dealing with people.
I found the hardest part of the job was dealing with arrogant and uncontrollable passengers.
Enjoyable part was working with a wide variety of staff members
Pros
Free travel
Cons
Last minute extended hours that were occasionally longer than 12.
If it seems too good to be true, it probably is - don't touch Metro with a barge pole
- (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC26 July 2016
Important decisions are made at the pub.

Very much a 'dodgy brothers' feel about the place.

A lot of back stabbing, undermining and white anting.

Not at all professional.

Confidentiality is not maintained.

Deceiving clients and the community is high on the agenda

Sexism is part of the culture. Management pay lip-service. They don't 'call out' sexism when they have clearly witnessed it.

Definitely an 'old boys club'.

The place is full of egomaniacs

If you are not from "The Rail Family" you are not welcome in Metro

The booze culture is un-heathly, unsafe and unproffessional

Poor behaviours are rewarded and good performance is not

Nepotism is rife
Cons
All of the above
Great Company to work
HR Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, VIC2 February 2016
It was a good work experience where I have worked in a very good work climate but also in a challenging and hostile environment or IR/ER disputes, EA Negotiations and numerous restructures
Day to day we were following Company's guidelines and projects
Also, as all the HRBP-s are on site we had a big number of Walk In Customers both blue and white collars
Manager always provide us with projects to work on
Pros
Solid Company with lots of opportunities
Cons
unstable work conditions and work climate often lack of managers
Rewarding job depite a tough beginning
Contract Manager Vehicles (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, VIC22 September 2015
To start from scratch and introduce policies to control and reduce costs was rewarding ,working autonomously was difficult but I had the support of senior management.
Achieving savings of $5 million dollars over the three years was most satisfying.
I was disappointed to be made redundant after achieving such significant savings and changes to work practices.
Introducing new initiatives and reducing costs was great I know that the place was better when I left than when I arrived..
Pros
Free transport was a bonus that I underestimated
Cons
A long culture of failing to improve accountabilty and working to reduce costs
Fun working environment
Project Administrator (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, VIC14 September 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them. Do give them assistance and be appreciated by my them. They were always grateful. There was a lot of variety in what I did each a day, ranging from tedious tasks to new and exciting challengers
Pros
being part of the department
An organisation with a diverse cultural base and enormous challenges from a management, operational and project delivery perspective.
Manager, Project Management Office (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, Victoria26 November 2014
As manager of the Project Management Office, I had 20 concurrent projects running at any one time with 40 direct and indirect reports. Relationship management with a diverse business and operational profile was challenging but I managed to set appropriate realistic expectations whilst managing risk and other project based impediments that would compromise either schedule, budget and quality of deliverables. The job demanded that I act as a Service Delivery Manager, Business Delivery Manager whilst maintaining continuity of our various program streams that cumulatively were valued in excess of $20M per annum. I was able to do this effectively whilst establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with all internal and external stakeholders. It was extremely challenging but highly rewarding and falls within my key skill set, which is relationship management with a clear focus on project delivery to the necessary levels of quality, within defined budget and schedule.
Productive workplace with great collegues and management
Train Driver (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, VIC12 February 2014
sign on at required time, peruse notice board for any updates and important messages, find out the train road as to where my train is and to prepare it to enter service, prepare train to a standard set out that it will enter service and will function in a safe and reliable manner, drive train according to the rules and regulations whilst observing the signalling system that co-ordinates the safe passage of trains.
Pros
Driving trains
Cons
shift work
Excellent Company to work for .
HR Uniform Manager (Former Employee) –  Level 24/1 Spring St , Melbourne , 300023 January 2014
Successfully achieved and managed financial goals and budgets.

Investigated and implemented cost effective alternatives which provided accountability and audit trails for ordering and distribution of Uniform, Work wear and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) across the whole of Metro Trains Melbourne (MTM).

Oversaw the negotiation of all major contracts and financial arrangements and loan terms.

Development, preparation, communication, implementation and evaluation of strategic plans, initiatives and reporting requirements.

Carried out performance reviews of staff and external consultants reporting to this position.

Management and requisition of stock to supply requirements.

Managed, maintained and updated the stock database.

Managed and mentored two direct reports.

Problem resolution. (New site, new system, new processes & new staff).

KPI’s (OWR - Direct & Indirect) and specific service requirements.

ACHIEVEMENTS:

Experience in Warehouse Management.

Experience in managing financial goals and budgets.

Damage reduction in line with budget.

Experience in overseeing the negotiation of all major contracts, financial arrangements and loan terms.

Experience in managing stock to plan and supply requirements.

Experience in staff management and change management.

Zero LTI’s.

Zero work cover claims.

SOPS and training tools developed and implemented for all areas.
Pros
Lifestyle ( Weekends off )
Cons
Dealing with an heavy unionized environment
Exciting job that requires full concentration at all times.
Trainee Train Driver (Former Employee) –  Flinders Street27 September 2012
A lot to learn with Hitachi, Comeng, XTrapolis and Siemens trains all making up the Metro fleet of trains. Drivers must inspect all underframe equipment and perform certain functionality tests in all driving cabs before docking up a train for the day. Identifying Safety faults and maitenance issues with each train are part of the drivers responsability. The network is comprised of 3 Position and 2 Position Signalling areas with ABS and ATC systems in operation throughout the metropolitan area. Timetables are run to strict adherance and timetabled for 20 second platform stops. Passengers can difficult at times and rotating shifts can take its toll on family life,
Pros
short shifts, quite a few 4-6 hour train-driving shifts are available and they pay you for 8 hours work.
Cons
study and exams, often up at 2am for a 3am start, travelling to outstations to start your day.