Monash University Employee Reviews

Eastern Clinical Research Unit Management not supportive
Clinical Trial Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Box Hill VIC12 January 2018
Have been working in this research unit for many years.
Culture of bullying and staff harassment is rife and management deal with this by making employees redundant or turning other employees against them so they eventually leave.
Job security is non-existent as most staff are on ongoing fixed term contracts so we cannot speak out against harassment.
Staff's personal & confidential information is discussed by management amongst other colleagues without their permission. Management turns a blind eye to any serious issues raised and simply start performance managing staff out of their positions aimed at discrediting them because it's easier than dealing with the problems.
Pros
flexible start and finish times
Cons
long hours expected unpaid, HR non-supportive, Management cannot be trusted, non-supportive
Research is demanding
Postdoctoral Research Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC26 November 2017
As a research Scientist the work is what you make of it. It depends very much on your passion and drive. As I didn't work for the University as such (they administered my salary which was funded via a grant), any review I provide may be meaningless to professional staff (versus academics) seeking employment at Monash.
Amazing staff and work environment
Yoga Instructor (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, Victoria27 September 2017
Coming to work was always motivating. The environment was supportive, healthy and passionate, which not only made me enjoy the job but constantly encouraged me to do my best.
Typical university environment - challenging with personal reward
Postgraduate Course Coordinator/Senior Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC13 September 2017
This is a typical university with excessive workload requirements and a lack of resourcing. As a G8 university, the business model is primarily focussed on research output which ultimately results in under-resourcing towards ensuring optimal quality in education output.
Pros
Rewarding working with students
Cons
Poor work like balance
A good place to work
Administration Officer (Current Employee) –  Clayton VIC23 July 2017
Being in administration I tried something different in my life, considering it had been a long time since I tried something other than finance. I must say I miss working with numbers and administration on it's own has proven to be the hardest part of my day. The work culture is great and I have made quite a few friends.
Pros
Not strict
Cons
Not very busy
enjoyable
Monash social sport staff (Current Employee) –  Clayton VIC31 March 2017
As a social sport staff member i don't have many shifts, and when i do they aren't long, however it's an efficiently run organisation that aid in teaching new staff the ins and outs of the workplace, and has a very positive and helpful culture
Great place to study
Minor in business management and marketing (Former Employee) –  Churchill VIC18 March 2017
As a student it was some of the most enjoyable time of my life. They are a very supportive university and go out of their way to be as helpful as possible.
Pros
Studying is awesome
Cons
everything must come to an end
A great way to share your knowledge
Teaching Associate (Former Employee) –  Clayton VIC1 March 2017
I enjoyed teaching undergraduates and sharing my knowledge regarding MS Excel and VBA. The workplace was conducive. Moreover, the students were polite and willing to learn.
great work life balance always interesting
Administration, Student Services (Former Employee) –  Clayton VIC11 January 2017
Learning new skills and applying them to the job.
Working autonomously and getting the job done reliably.
Meeting new people.
Customer Service.
Team work.
Pros
enjoying the atmosphere of the work environment.
Cons
there weren't any
Teaching is wonderful, and Monash pays well per hour
Teaching Associate (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC2 January 2017
I teach mathematics tutorial classes. Each class involves spending two hours with the 20-25 students, working through the assigned problem sets. My focus is on their understanding of the material, and I use a variety of education techniques to achieve this. This role also involves prior planning and marking of assessments throughout semester.

I am overseen by a senior lecturer who is there to make sure all the admin gets done. They are always eager to help out with any problem.

The hardest part of the job is motivating students to keep going and not give up on themselves.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that beautiful moment when a student finally "gets it" - I feel a sense of pride and achievement in my student and myself. It's also great when students heap praises on you in the Student Evaluation of Teaching forms.
Pros
Good pay, good support for teaching associates, being able to share your knowledge with students
Cons
Sometimes classrooms are not ideal, often students stop coming to classes, there is no career progression
Relevant fun working environmnet
Accounts and kitchen hand (Former Employee) –  Cafeteria29 November 2016
The working environment is different from what I expected. It's usually a fast based workplace with the lot some orders to deal. The job holds with multitasking like taking care of the kitchen and other stuff nearby than accounting. So the job requires an individual to be active every time while working in this environment.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Allotted hours with more often delays
Victorian institute of animal science
Animal technician (Former Employee) –  Werribee VIC27 October 2016
Poultry research nutrition,egg quality work, feeding cleaning and generally looking after the animals. Chem lab work measuring gross energy in feed and faeces to work out how much energy the animal uterliised. Making experiemental diets for projects. Piggery nutrition research through diet obtaining information to get more muscle and less fat as pigs grow. Lots of students and working with people from all over the world. Love working with people and the animals.Loved running my farrowing shed.
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
Pigs really smell hard to get smell out of your hair
Provide various opportunities for staff self development
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC24 October 2016
This job helps me to develop my skills through continuous and deep study in my interested research area and provides opportunities to meet with world leading researchers in the similar research field.
very good
Casual Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  clayton23 September 2016
very good work environment with very good salary paid. highly recommend for people like working or doing research in a university
Fine
Assistant event to organizer (Former Employee) –  Clayton, IN31 August 2016
Good work with good friends. There is not much else to say, it was a fixed period of standard work that i feel i completed to the best of my ability.
Excellent staff training availability
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne Eastern Suburbs VIC10 August 2016
Excellent to work for, fast paced and forever changing days. From mail sorting, ordering stationary, maintaining databases, incoming phone calls from participants then you can be asked to format documents take minutes or look after reception as I said forever changing very interesting. Time management had to be key to work here.
Other co-workers friendly and we all worked as part of a team.
I found the hardest thing about this job was having to take on another co-workers position (PA) as well as mine when they were on leave. This was challenging and rewarding.
I found the most enjoyable part of working there was the participant contact, I love to help and assist others. It was satisfying when the best outcome for all was achieved.
Great benefits
TECHNICAL OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Clayton VIC26 June 2016
Great superannuation benefits but not as family friendly or workplace flexible as they pretend to be.

Overall experience was good
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC12 June 2016
Monash University is a good place to work. It depends what role you are in obviously, I can only speak for my position. Remuneration is good, culture is good but depends on colleagues.
Supportive environment
Sessional Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, VIC9 January 2016
Academia has become an excellent career choice to balance work and life as a mother of three young children. I have been intimately involved in the preparation of the students through the development of online content following a flipped classroom model. I am able to work remotely from my home and have learned a great deal from my colleagues, particularly around innovation. The most difficult part of the job is not being able to interact face-to-face with my colleagues on a regular basis.
Productive environment with enthusiastic team members
Project Leader (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, VIC10 November 2015
The project is able to go smoothly because not only the tasks were evenly divided and organized, but also because of the positive attitude that my team members bring to the team.