NSW Government Employee Reviews

Stunning waterfront locations
Catering Manager (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW13 August 2017
Good place to work with good benefits however bureaucracy can be at times frustrating. Resistance to change can be challenging as many employees have been in the job long term.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Time away from family
Government department
Technical Writer (contract) (Former Employee) –  Parramatta NSW24 May 2017
I worked on a 3 month contract to develop online Help for the department's intranet. The intranet was used as a knowledge base for the call-centre staff dealing with the public.

I mostly worked at home because security and system access was not granted and set up until the contract was nearly finished.

The staff were very nice and helpful. The atmosphere at work was relaxed.
Pros
Freedom to develop the content as we saw fit.
Cons
No system or security access for most of the contract period.
Frustrating
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Bellingen NSW7 March 2017
Not able to comment
Poor management structures
Difficult but rewarding
Too many unnecessary reporting requirements and lack of continuity as a casual teacher
Team environment
Rebate Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW14 November 2016
Fast paced industry with high volumes of applications, dealing with customer applications via email, post and telephone.
Excellent
Child Protection Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Sydney South NSW31 October 2016
Training opportunities, multicultural work environment, cultural training, cultural respect , resources available to staff to grow
Time as a policeman was by far the most enjoyable of my life
NSW Wales Police Department (Former Employee) –  Sydney/Newcastle30 August 2016
Dealing with people from a wide range of social status in a vast range of situations. Some violence which fortunately i survived basically unscathed and times of great sadness when dealing with death issues.
Pros
job satisfaction/security - mateship
Cons
not always appreciated by the general public
Friendly and caring workplace
Enrolled Nurse (Current Employee) –  Central West NSW9 February 2016
Each day can be different as we provide many services to the community so lots of varied clients attend the service for care. There is an Aged care residential ward where we provide daily care for the elderly and palliative care. it is a nice environment with a homely feel and all staff provide a high standard of care to all clients. Our management have an excellent approachable/ open door policy which maintains a good supportive atmosphere. The staff have a good rapport with each other and genuinely care about our clients and each other.
Pros
staff BBQ's, morning teas, self-rostering
Cons
busy shifts at times due to working in all areas of hospital
Supportive, experinced and diverse
Indigenous Foster Carer Support Caseworker (Former Employee) –  New South Wales6 February 2016
Co-workers were diverse and experienced. Very supportive.
Most enjoyable part of FACS was the diverse range of co-workers and the input each had in helping with the challenging tasks but also the support via empathetic listening and communication.
salary was very fair also.
Happy Environment
Station Assistant (Former Employee) –  various12 January 2016
every day is different
extra skills
assistance give when required
second family
long hot days
enjoyable part is knowing you gave 100% in to helping customers
Pros
N/a
Cons
Hot days
Progressive
Information Technology Officer (Former Employee) –  Sydney Central Business District, NSW15 November 2015
I sincerely enjoyed my period of employment with the NSW Government. It was a challenging and rewarding time of my life.
Pros
Opportunity for promotion
Cons
Nil
Interesting and challenging environment
Assistant Accommodation Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Newcastle, NSW14 January 2015
My current employment offers a challenging and somewhat rewarding environment. Each day is different and therefore offers diversity. The residents change regularly and therefore new challenges develop and need to be addressed on an individual basis.
I have learnt many new skills which have helped me grow as a person.
I am able to use many skills I have learnt from life experience to assist the residents in planning for their future and advocating to other service providers where necessary.
My co-workers and I all work very closely together to ensure that there is consistency between staff and residents. We are a team and have the same goals.
The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I have made a difference in someone else's life and been able to help them move forward to hopefully a better life.
Pros
Fantastic team environment
Cons
Shift work
great place to work and learn
Senior Project Officer (Former Employee) –  Bridge st Sydney NSW17 April 2013
reviewing policies and commenting on what changes need to be identified and how to be an effective facilitator and project officer whilst having time to look after family and enjoying the networking of work, life and recreation. the people who I worked with had good ethics and wanted to learn about my culture to assist them in their work and private lives, they were also fun to work with and socialise with.
Pros
working with communities, making changes
Cons
policies not written in plain language