Queensland Rail Employee Reviews

Favourite place to work
Railway Worker (Former Employee) –  Mt Isa QLD21 January 2018
I loved working on the rail I felt like I was born to to it from thermite welding to resurfacing I’ve done it all and would love the chance to come back and be a rail worker once more
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
There was none
Productive and fun place i like play footbaal
Queensland maintenance at cairns plaza hotel (Former Employee) –  Queensland15 December 2017
I would work 7 days out of 7 because without working I can not stay, for me it is not a problem to work on holidays and even a pleasure. I would like to learn a new job teaching. I hope to work in this company .cordiali sa luti
Pros
Free lunches
Heavy internal political influence
Program and Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Brisbane Central Business District QLD29 November 2017
silo and blaming culture
influence with authority
assumption based decisions
avoid responsibility game
enormous difference between the communicated result and the reality
Nothing progressive about the place full of old boys school
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD26 October 2017
Company good at employing people without any rail experience which will results into poor decision making and impact bottom line of the organisation and waste of tax payer's money.

There is culture of bullying and harassment without any active support from HR. so reconsider if you are from minority group and / or have disability before joining them.
Pros
Cons
Nepotism, Racism, Bullying, lack of HR support, old boys school club in management
Image is everything
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD31 August 2017
Not very efficient. Seem to be more managers than people doing to work. Very male dominated culture and didn't feel like it was a very diverse supportive culture at all.
Friendly and well paid
Safety Advisor (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD29 June 2017
Great place to work with mostly friendly staff. Succession planning needs work as you will remain in the same role for years. Historical Leadership issues has allowed for a stagnate and negative organisational culture. Pay well above average and the perks to the job are envious. If you can learn to ignore some things then its a company you can work in for life.
Pros
Flexible working hours, great pay rate
Cons
Poor Leadership development, poor company culture, roles aren't clearly defined
Team atmosphere with support for individuals. Good cameraderie and interesting and varied tasks.
Production Planner (Former Employee) –  Brisbane Central Business District QLD20 June 2017
Interaction with customers from around Queensland, began early, around 0630. The work was complex and intricate, which gave a great sense of achievement when completed.

Management were supportive of staff. Work / Life balance was excellent and as long as customer requirements were met, hours of work were flexible.

A good place to work.
good job secuirty
Train Examiner (Former Employee) –  Gladstone QLD8 February 2017
I started working as fettler on the railway tracks and I worked my up to a train examiner over a number of years and good job security
bosses shoud not have favourites
Hospitality/catering/operations (Former Employee) –  Rockhampton City QLD2 February 2017
great job. Management poor. After 7 yrs as casual had to go to union to get permanent. Terrific if you in your 20s. hours and away from family very hard.
Good for advancement and great benefits, poorly managed
Train Management Improvement Officer (Former Employee) –  Jilalan Queensland30 January 2017
Safety oriented business in rail operations and passenger services. Good chances for promotion across streams and business sections. Excellent benefits and training.
Pros
quality training
Cons
Often poorly managed
Signals section is a terrible place to work
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD18 January 2017
Management promise the world but when it comes time to deliver nothing happens,no training, no materials, no support, Managers who will not or can mange staff, if you want a job where you do nothing this is for you.
Pros
Do very little
Cons
Do not care about staff
Rail Worker (Former Employee) –  Dysart QLD7 January 2017
Very ongoing work very productive n a great workplace. The team was good to work with. Hardest part was working outside all the time which I didn't mean
Well equipped Depot with state of the art facilities.
Locomotive Maintainer II (Former Employee) –  Redland QLD8 June 2016
A typical day was usually filled with variety which made going to work an enjoyable experience. I learned a great deal about what it meant to be part of a successful team. My co-workers and immediate supervisor/manager were easy to get along with and had a good rapport with each other and myself.
Pros
Active social club and great working conditions.
Cons
Working weekends
Challenging yet benefical
Diesel Fitter (Current Employee) –  Banyo QLD14 April 2016
I currently work away 9/5 days. I have taken this role on as no one else was willing to volunteere for such a challenge and i have come to be succesful in this role and reliable. it has taught me to grow and mature and most importnaly the saftey aspect of working in a trade. i work with one other a majortiy of the time and we have become close freinds. the other part of the work period i spend with a large team of re-sleepering. i have learnt how to work in a team and i have also learnt many manners and approches on any one situation from all of the individuals. the hardest part of the job is not the job itself but being away from my family. however the most enjoyable part is travelinng the regional areas of queensland and becoming confident and proud in my work.
Pros
benfits
Cons
Being away from my young family
good money, stressful
LOCOMOTIVE DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Cairns QLD15 February 2016
not a very physically challenging job but very mentally stressful. good money and good hours, the only let down was support in personal issues
A good place to work but takes time to get any advancement forward
Track Resurfacing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Townsville QLD15 November 2015
A workplace that can be harsh to work at on certain days. Very safety orientated and safety co- ordinated workplace. Most workers are easy to get along with.
Pros
Very safety driven workplace
Cons
Management could support supervisors more
Public company turned Private
Contractor - MS Access/VBA Developer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD9 November 2015
I was there helping with the severance packages cost following the public to private transition where a lot of people were made redundant.
It was a very specific job developing MS Access and PDF reports on a monthly basis for the heads of Finance and HR.
The timing was tight and everything had to be done "yesterday" attitude.
It was a bit stressful.
Otherwise the management was excellent providing good instructions about their needs.
Didn't even receive free passes on public transportation...
Plenty of opportunities
Senior Assurance and Compliance Officer (Current Employee) –  Brisbane Central Business District, QLD22 October 2015
My experience at this organisation is varied. I have had to change roles alot as there are lots of restructures. Very political
productive work place with plenty of work to do.
Track Worker (Current Employee) –  Innisfail31 August 2015
Good place to work. Many people always to lend a hand and their experience. They hold a high safety policy. Management a fare and good to work with.
Pros
good people to work with
Enjoyed providing Excellent Customer Service to everybody
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Brisbane, QLD30 August 2015
I enjoyed working with the staff, the customers, the management and all external contacts and the responsibility of the logistics to run the train on time and supply excellent customer service throughout each long distance journey that I travelled in the past 8 years.

I learnt that I was capable of providing my skills in several areas including fixing anything broken on a moving train and to liaise with control and maintenance and operational staff of the corrective actions required upon arrival at stations along the way and finally the destination.

Unfortunately the best part of the job became the hardest to overcome for my family and was constantly being away as I was on relief for 7 years and this molehill became a mountain

My jobs included:- On board Services Technician ( Electrician)
Passenger Services Supervisor
Passenger Attendant
Senior Catering Attendant
Pros
Free meals, travel queensland, layover at cities until next job
Cons
constantly being away as I was on relief for 7 years