Queensland Rail Employee Reviews

Friendly and well paid
Safety Advisor (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD29 June 2017
Great place to work with mostly friendly staff. Succession planning needs work as you will remain in the same role for years. Historical Leadership issues has allowed for a stagnate and negative organisational culture. Pay well above average and the perks to the job are envious. If you can learn to ignore some things then its a company you can work in for life.
Pros
Flexible working hours, great pay rate
Cons
Poor Leadership development, poor company culture, roles aren't clearly defined
Team atmosphere with support for individuals. Good cameraderie and interesting and varied tasks.
Production Planner (Former Employee) –  Brisbane Central Business District QLD20 June 2017
Interaction with customers from around Queensland, began early, around 0630. The work was complex and intricate, which gave a great sense of achievement when completed.

Management were supportive of staff. Work / Life balance was excellent and as long as customer requirements were met, hours of work were flexible.

A good place to work.
good job secuirty
Train Examiner (Former Employee) –  Gladstone QLD8 February 2017
I started working as fettler on the railway tracks and I worked my up to a train examiner over a number of years and good job security
bosses shoud not have favourites
Hospitality/catering/operations (Former Employee) –  Rockhampton City QLD2 February 2017
great job. Management poor. After 7 yrs as casual had to go to union to get permanent. Terrific if you in your 20s. hours and away from family very hard.
Good for advancement and great benefits, poorly managed
Train Management Improvement Officer (Former Employee) –  Jilalan Queensland30 January 2017
Safety oriented business in rail operations and passenger services. Good chances for promotion across streams and business sections. Excellent benefits and training.
Pros
quality training
Cons
Often poorly managed
Signals section is a terrible place to work
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD18 January 2017
Management promise the world but when it comes time to deliver nothing happens,no training, no materials, no support, Managers who will not or can mange staff, if you want a job where you do nothing this is for you.
Pros
Do very little
Cons
Do not care about staff
Rail Worker (Former Employee) –  Dysart QLD7 January 2017
Very ongoing work very productive n a great workplace. The team was good to work with. Hardest part was working outside all the time which I didn't mean
Well equipped Depot with state of the art facilities.
Locomotive Maintainer II (Former Employee) –  Redland QLD8 June 2016
A typical day was usually filled with variety which made going to work an enjoyable experience. I learned a great deal about what it meant to be part of a successful team. My co-workers and immediate supervisor/manager were easy to get along with and had a good rapport with each other and myself.
Pros
Active social club and great working conditions.
Cons
Working weekends
Challenging yet benefical
Diesel Fitter (Current Employee) –  Banyo QLD14 April 2016
I currently work away 9/5 days. I have taken this role on as no one else was willing to volunteere for such a challenge and i have come to be succesful in this role and reliable. it has taught me to grow and mature and most importnaly the saftey aspect of working in a trade. i work with one other a majortiy of the time and we have become close freinds. the other part of the work period i spend with a large team of re-sleepering. i have learnt how to work in a team and i have also learnt many manners and approches on any one situation from all of the individuals. the hardest part of the job is not the job itself but being away from my family. however the most enjoyable part is travelinng the regional areas of queensland and becoming confident and proud in my work.
Pros
benfits
Cons
Being away from my young family
good money, stressful
LOCOMOTIVE DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Cairns QLD15 February 2016
not a very physically challenging job but very mentally stressful. good money and good hours, the only let down was support in personal issues
A good place to work but takes time to get any advancement forward
Track Resurfacing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Townsville QLD15 November 2015
A workplace that can be harsh to work at on certain days. Very safety orientated and safety co- ordinated workplace. Most workers are easy to get along with.
Pros
Very safety driven workplace
Cons
Management could support supervisors more
Public company turned Private
Contractor - MS Access/VBA Developer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD9 November 2015
I was there helping with the severance packages cost following the public to private transition where a lot of people were made redundant.
It was a very specific job developing MS Access and PDF reports on a monthly basis for the heads of Finance and HR.
The timing was tight and everything had to be done "yesterday" attitude.
It was a bit stressful.
Otherwise the management was excellent providing good instructions about their needs.
Didn't even receive free passes on public transportation...
Plenty of opportunities
Senior Assurance and Compliance Officer (Current Employee) –  Brisbane Central Business District, QLD22 October 2015
My experience at this organisation is varied. I have had to change roles alot as there are lots of restructures. Very political
productive work place with plenty of work to do.
Track Worker (Current Employee) –  Innisfail31 August 2015
Good place to work. Many people always to lend a hand and their experience. They hold a high safety policy. Management a fare and good to work with.
Pros
good people to work with
Enjoyed providing Excellent Customer Service to everybody
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Brisbane, QLD30 August 2015
I enjoyed working with the staff, the customers, the management and all external contacts and the responsibility of the logistics to run the train on time and supply excellent customer service throughout each long distance journey that I travelled in the past 8 years.

I learnt that I was capable of providing my skills in several areas including fixing anything broken on a moving train and to liaise with control and maintenance and operational staff of the corrective actions required upon arrival at stations along the way and finally the destination.

Unfortunately the best part of the job became the hardest to overcome for my family and was constantly being away as I was on relief for 7 years and this molehill became a mountain

My jobs included:- On board Services Technician ( Electrician)
Passenger Services Supervisor
Passenger Attendant
Senior Catering Attendant
Pros
Free meals, travel queensland, layover at cities until next job
Cons
constantly being away as I was on relief for 7 years
Good wage, busy atmosphere, good team enviroment
Warehouse Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Bowen Hills23 August 2015
Start at 5.30am; look at daily emails, prioritise and action; address shift staff on changeover duties; discuss relevant info for day ahead: give safety briefings if needed; liase with workshop/internal/external customers on any daily requirements: Procure parts needed, approve invoices for payment, attend managers meetings; manage 8 staff on daily basis, review any roster/annual leave requirements: service customers needs constantly.
Learning everyday about team management with limited resources and short stffing to address various tasks. Very frustrating. Enjoyable part, starting early finishing early.
Productive and enjoyable work group
Track worker (Former Employee) –  Sarina Qld13 April 2015
Work role included maintenance and construction of new and existing track systems from crossovers, road crossings, re-railing, access roads, drainage, formation repairs and upgrading track in station yards, bridges, loading and unloading loops. Co-workers were easy to get along with. What I liked about this job was traveling to different locations to work.
Working in an integral area of long distant train travel
System Support Officer/ System Tester (Current Employee) –  Brisbane Central Business District, QLD24 March 2015
A typical day involves various responsibilities.

1. Liaising with station staff both city and regional
2. Creating passenger manifests and station occupancy reports
3. Assisting staff via the telephone with system issues and company procedures and policies.
4. Continual testing of release patches for the booking system, reporting defects, following up on existing defect issues and managing test suites.
Pros
Great team to work with
Cons
Travelling time to/from work and shift work
Great team to work with
Credit Officer, Financial Services (Former Employee) –  Brisbane15 March 2015
Managing day to day accounts of high volume traffic, controlling budgets etc, some face to face meeting with the account holders, adjusting accounts, day to day reconciling and time frames of payments
Pros
Free travel
Cons
nil
Not what it used to be
Heavy Fab/Boilermaker (Current Employee) –  Ipswich, QLD9 March 2015
It used to be a great place to work at, and to learn all things about steam locomotives and heritage carriages, but not any more unfortunately.