Rio Tinto Employee Reviews

Productive workplace
Technical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pannawonica WA13 August 2017
I have been a contractor with the company at 2 different sites since 2014.
I get paid decently by the contracting company. But am hoping that will be put onnriotinto books
Pros
8 days in 6 days off
Cons
Taking a long time to be put on permanently
Amazing salary.
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Karratha WA9 August 2017
The salary and benefits were amazing, it was my first taste of a high paying job, especially for my young age. But the work I was doing can get repetitive extremely quickly. Even though the pay was good, it was not the type of job I would make my career.
Productive and Friendly place to work
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Nhulunbuy NT5 August 2017
My day consisted of typical administration work required for Gove Operations. A great experience working at the refinery. So many learning opportunities and abilities to move around the refinery to experience different areas of work.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Living in an isolated town has it's disadvantages
Good Location, Minimal Job security
Capital Projects - Electrical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Nhulunbuy NT4 August 2017
The location is very Good
The Workforce in general is experienced
Helpful team environment
Job security is the only downside
Delays in Flight transfer to and from site
Good place to work, good roster and pay
Supply Officer (Former Employee) –  Brockman WA27 July 2017
Great immediate team management at lower level. Good support and learning opportunities, great roster and work life balance. Great facilities and equipment. Good procedures in place for new staff to follow. Great bunch of fellow employees.
Pros
Great facilities, accomodation, pay and roster
Cons
Being away from home, but great roster
Contractual employee are treated equaly as non-contractual
Sourcing Analyst (Contractual) (Current Employee) –  Hail Creek QLD27 July 2017
I did a short contract and I loved it, I wish that I could stay longer, but a FT position is not easy to get there. Great conditions for work and accommodation.
Gone backwards
Plant maintainer (Former Employee) –  Tom price16 May 2017
Was a great place to work but changes did not suit me.so left to pursue better life work balance to suit my future plans in the pilbara and surrounding area.
Pros
Good team
Cons
Roster change did not suit
Exciting, highly innovative balanced with high demands on individuals
National Recruitment Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD1 May 2017
Exciting opportunities with a global company. High drive for innovation and cost-savings has bred a unique culture of continuous improvement. Work demands on individuals can be excessive.
Unable to review
Surveyors Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tom Price WA29 April 2017
I was not working with this specific company long enough to give an accurate review of. The star ranking does not represent my opinion of the company but is a required field so has been selected as 3 stars across the board
great place to work
Instrument technician QA completion team (Former Employee) –  Cape Lambert WA7 April 2017
Prestart meeting as usual , to get to know whats happening on site . and do my usual paper work in the office , following walk downs , recording findings
Cons
10 hour days
Experimented with new possible sampling methods
Sampler (Former Employee) –  Tom Price WA4 April 2017
I found it really good to work for Rio and really liked working to experiment new possible techniques to further the industry. The people i worked with during this time were great and made working all the better.
Good work colleagues but Supervisor's can be two faced.
Train Controller (Former Employee) –  Perth WA28 March 2017
Good working with the fellow train controllers but recently found that my Supervisor was a little two faced.
Good working roster of 6 days on and 6 days off.
Pros
Roster
Cons
Supervisor's
Enjoyed an amazing work life balance working on a 5/2 roster enjoying tennis and time with family on weekends
Specialist Mining Engineer (Former Employee) –  Perth, WA22 March 2017
A multicultural and multinational set up where everyone was treated equally. The enjoyable part was your contribution was recognized and rewarded. I learnt to work under pressure and still was able to get the work done both as an individual and as a team player.
Pros
Great work -life balance
Excellent job
Light Vehicle Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Hunter Valley NSW24 February 2017
Perfect job for anyone
Such a amazing place to work
Great learning inviroment for anyone
Highly recommend
Limitless opportunities to work with
Always willing to help
Good pay
Pros
Limitless opportunities
Great team enviroment
Planner Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Paraburdoo WA21 February 2017
Pay good not great.
Supervisors and maintenence team are great to work with.

Working in Paraburdoo is made better by the friendlyness of the residents and Rio Tino staff
Pros
Home every weekend
Cons
Fly in and out twice a week
Arrogant Management
Elecrical (Current Employee) –  Rio Tinto Cape Lambert14 February 2017
Due to low parts stock and tools to do the day to day task its hard to get through a day without feeling you just want to walk out of the gate for good.
Not much to learn from Rio Tinto Cape Lambert as no training is provided on new technology installed.
Managements arrogance is out of this world,never interact with lower level employees and are self centered for their own benefit as money is spend on managements wine and dine instead of parts and tools to keep the place running.
Hardest part of this job is doing the job as management try to make the job as hard as possible through their arrogance
Most enjoyable part is clocking out every day.

Last Employee people servey from 3Q 2016 show 75% of Rio Tinto employees would not recommend the company to family and friends to work at. This must tell you something!!!
Pros
Cons
Arrogant Management
Great culture, benefits and flexibilty
Process Improvement Advisor (Former Employee) –  Perth WA10 February 2017
Safety culture is a focus at RTIO and they spend any amount of time needed to stop and focus on safety - not only on site, in the CBD offices as well. My Manager was very professional and approachable and, if the opportunity arose, I would definitely work with him again. The benefits are very good and include Incentive Bonus, time off to volunteer, flexibility arrangements and excellent remuneration. They even provided fresh fruit and Nespresso Coffee pods - an easy way to my heart!
Pros
Remuneration, Benefits and flexibility
Cons
Old school management resistant to change
Highly professional organisation
General Manager Market Development (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD7 February 2017
Structured, strategic company which attracts a dedicated and intellectual workforce. Needs to improve its flexibility and diversity but shows intent to do so.
Used to a great employer
Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Western Au6 February 2017
a new policy to learn and adhere to each week, continuous staffing cuts even though the business make great profits.

will encourage upskilling and training however, do not provide many opportunities.

Management are completely out of tune with the new world.

Great people to work with!
Pros
good work life balance
Cons
Extra Hours, corporate policy, management
Good Job
Specialist - Plant Shutdown Assurance (Current Employee) –  Perth Airport WA5 February 2017
I am able to travel to alot of sites and meet great people and assist them in there roles.

I have worked for Rio since 2006.

Rio has helped me develope as a leader into this role that lets me use my Shutdown knowledge to assist many sites.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rio Tinto. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2