Rio Tinto Employee Reviews

Exciting, highly innovative balanced with high demands on individuals
National Recruitment Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD1 May 2017
Exciting opportunities with a global company. High drive for innovation and cost-savings has bred a unique culture of continuous improvement. Work demands on individuals can be excessive.
Unable to review
Surveyors Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tom Price WA29 April 2017
I was not working with this specific company long enough to give an accurate review of. The star ranking does not represent my opinion of the company but is a required field so has been selected as 3 stars across the board
great place to work
Instrument technician QA completion team (Former Employee) –  Cape Lambert WA7 April 2017
Prestart meeting as usual , to get to know whats happening on site . and do my usual paper work in the office , following walk downs , recording findings
Cons
10 hour days
Experimented with new possible sampling methods
Sampler (Former Employee) –  Tom Price WA4 April 2017
I found it really good to work for Rio and really liked working to experiment new possible techniques to further the industry. The people i worked with during this time were great and made working all the better.
Good work colleagues but Supervisor's can be two faced.
Train Controller (Former Employee) –  Perth WA28 March 2017
Good working with the fellow train controllers but recently found that my Supervisor was a little two faced.
Good working roster of 6 days on and 6 days off.
Pros
Roster
Cons
Supervisor's
Enjoyed an amazing work life balance working on a 5/2 roster enjoying tennis and time with family on weekends
Specialist Mining Engineer (Former Employee) –  Perth, WA22 March 2017
A multicultural and multinational set up where everyone was treated equally. The enjoyable part was your contribution was recognized and rewarded. I learnt to work under pressure and still was able to get the work done both as an individual and as a team player.
Pros
Great work -life balance
Excellent job
Light Vehicle Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Hunter Valley NSW24 February 2017
Perfect job for anyone
Such a amazing place to work
Great learning inviroment for anyone
Highly recommend
Limitless opportunities to work with
Always willing to help
Good pay
Pros
Limitless opportunities
Great team enviroment
Planner Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Paraburdoo WA21 February 2017
Pay good not great.
Supervisors and maintenence team are great to work with.

Working in Paraburdoo is made better by the friendlyness of the residents and Rio Tino staff
Pros
Home every weekend
Cons
Fly in and out twice a week
Arrogant Management
Elecrical (Current Employee) –  Rio Tinto Cape Lambert14 February 2017
Due to low parts stock and tools to do the day to day task its hard to get through a day without feeling you just want to walk out of the gate for good.
Not much to learn from Rio Tinto Cape Lambert as no training is provided on new technology installed.
Managements arrogance is out of this world,never interact with lower level employees and are self centered for their own benefit as money is spend on managements wine and dine instead of parts and tools to keep the place running.
Hardest part of this job is doing the job as management try to make the job as hard as possible through their arrogance
Most enjoyable part is clocking out every day.

Last Employee people servey from 3Q 2016 show 75% of Rio Tinto employees would not recommend the company to family and friends to work at. This must tell you something!!!
Pros
Cons
Arrogant Management
Great culture, benefits and flexibilty
Process Improvement Advisor (Former Employee) –  Perth WA10 February 2017
Safety culture is a focus at RTIO and they spend any amount of time needed to stop and focus on safety - not only on site, in the CBD offices as well. My Manager was very professional and approachable and, if the opportunity arose, I would definitely work with him again. The benefits are very good and include Incentive Bonus, time off to volunteer, flexibility arrangements and excellent remuneration. They even provided fresh fruit and Nespresso Coffee pods - an easy way to my heart!
Pros
Remuneration, Benefits and flexibility
Cons
Old school management resistant to change
Highly professional organisation
General Manager Market Development (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD7 February 2017
Structured, strategic company which attracts a dedicated and intellectual workforce. Needs to improve its flexibility and diversity but shows intent to do so.
Used to a great employer
Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Western Au6 February 2017
a new policy to learn and adhere to each week, continuous staffing cuts even though the business make great profits.

will encourage upskilling and training however, do not provide many opportunities.

Management are completely out of tune with the new world.

Great people to work with!
Pros
good work life balance
Cons
Extra Hours, corporate policy, management
Good Job
Specialist - Plant Shutdown Assurance (Current Employee) –  Perth Airport WA5 February 2017
I am able to travel to alot of sites and meet great people and assist them in there roles.

I have worked for Rio since 2006.

Rio has helped me develope as a leader into this role that lets me use my Shutdown knowledge to assist many sites.
Great team and work/life balance
Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Clermont QLD19 January 2017
Although it is no longer operational Blair Athol had very effective systems and processes in place. I learned a lot through the Rio Tinto training in regards to Lean Principles - streamlining processes cutting out the fat and managing day to day activities to reduce wasted time. My colleagues were very supportive and I was given opportunities to work on several different projects. The hardest part of my job was juggling inquiries from several areas but this was also the most enjoyable part as it allowed me to forge strong working relationships with all areas of the business.
Pros
great work opportunities
Cons
high turnover
Safe enjoyable workplace
Haul Truck Operator / Train Operator (Former Employee) –  Brockman 216 January 2017
Safety pre start meetings allocated work stations always learning from others respect management opinions worked well within team enviroment or individually
Pros
saving money
Cons
being away from family
Great company
Contractor Management (Former Employee) –  Western Australia16 January 2017
Learnt a lot and was supported. Great family lifestyle, two boys grew up in a mining town, and would do it all again. gained valuable Supervisory skills and completed my Cert IV in Frontline Management
Very informative
Work Placement (Former Employee) –  Paraburdoo WA10 January 2017
Working with a mining company is always going to be exciting as the equipment is sooo up-scaled. There are many benefits of working in the industry and it opens many doors for further employment.
The Pilbara is a great place to live with an awesome outdoor lifestyle..
Electrical Maintainer (Current Employee) –  Cape Lambert WA6 January 2017
I have found my time at the Shutdown Crew very challenging with respect to the work ethic of some employees and the acceptance of the bullying and harrassment culture within some team members. Overall it has been a good experience to learn what I have picked up whilst being here for almost three years. For the past twelve months or so I have found it slightly unrewarding and repetitive. Its not often I get the chance to do work with my tools and have a hands on approach to work we undertake. Alot of the work we do now is mainly to apply isolation permits and basic inspections to the plant and machinery.
Pros
Weekends off with the wife and kids.
Cons
Not enough time on the tools doing my trade.
great place
Fitter/Rail Car & Locomotive Recovery (Former Employee) –  Karratha WA5 January 2017
Great place management spot on top place to work for very hot I like the heat and working as a team 8 and 6 roster was good gave you heaps of family time etc
Always looking over ones shoulder to see if you may be the target
Serviceman (Former Employee) –  Pilbara Mining Centre WA5 January 2017
My experriance is, If you want to succeed working for Rio you must be a yes man, and try be part of the purple circle.
Most will not understand what I've written, but all miners will.
Pros
Very few
Cons
All depends on the quality of your managers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rio Tinto. Our community is ready to answer.