RSPCA Pay & Benefits reviews

Charity caring for animals
Senior Inspector (Former Employee) –  Qld13 June 2017
There is no typical day in this position. Each day is different in what it presents, in the hours and how you feel at knock off. It is a position where you see and experience the best and worst in people and have some amazing experiences with all species of animal. It can be very rewarding and very depressing.
Pros
Animal experiences
Cons
Animal owners and salary
Volunteer position
Hobart Workplace student - Animal (Former Employee) –  Hobart TAS28 November 2016
this was a volunteer/student placement no salary or type of payment was received.
there seemed to be a lot of staff gossip and bickering. but the volunteers were great the experience was great
Loved every bit of working there
Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) –  Wacol , Qld6 March 2014
I really had a good time working there and learned a lot there
A day in the life of a Vet Nurse
Veterinary Nurse (Current Employee) –  Canberra, Australia18 June 2012
Firstly in the morning, to come into the veterinary practice, check all the animals and start doing the hospital rounds; feeding, medicating, walking and cleaning out their bedding. Then setting up the surgery room and treatment rooms, for the day's surgery. Admissions would start from 9 am, where we would assess the animal's health, weigh them and then start drawing up the drugs required for those animals.
Surgery would start after all the animals had been admitted and drugs prepared for the surgeries. It was never a set time for surgeries to finish, sometimes we'd have surgeries right up until end of day, or because we were also a shelter environment we would have to tend to our own shelter animals as well. There would be a large variety of jobs to do, from answering phones, helping clients with their enquiries over the phone and face to face. Being the Veterinarian's assistant, and assisting with surgeries and preparing for the next case, cleaning the instruments after the surgery and sterilising them. Washing, to doing orders to keep our drugs stock up to date.
About 4 in the afternoon we would do our hospital rounds again, and do the afternoon cleaning if surgeries were finished, do the end of day banking and preparing surgery sheets for the next days list.

I learned a diverse range of new skills, and became a much better nurse through the cases I saw and learned from my senior Veterinarian, and always was learning on the job, which is very rewarding.

I had a very good working relationship with my co - workers, and we worked well as a team and got the job done. When we
  more... had a stressful and difficult day, due to cases we saw, we would always be there to support each other.

I adapted quickly to the working environment and the flow of the workplace. I am fast to learn new skills and are able to put them to use immediately.
Pros
a new experience every day
Cons
long hours without compensation