SA Health is committed to protecting and improving the health of all South Australians by providing leadership in health reform, public health services, health and medical research, policy development and planning, with an increased focus on well being, illness prevention, early intervention and quality care.
SA Health is the brand name for the health portfolio of services and agencies responsible to the Minister for Health and the Minister for Mental Health and Substance Abuse. The portfolio consists of the Department of Health, Central Adelaide Local Health Network, Northern Adelaide Local Health Network, Southern Adelaide Local Health Network, Women’s and Children’s Health Network, Country Health SA Local Health Network, and SA Ambulance Service.
SA Health provides many important services to the South Australian community including:
- public hospitals
- metropolitan and country health service delivery
- environmental health
- communicable disease control
- health promotion
- pathology services
- drug and alcohol services
- emergency and ambulance
- organ donation.
SA Health liaises closely with other agencies in government, particularly:
- Department of Education and Children’s Services
- Department for Families and Communities
- Department of Planning and Local Government
- Department of the Premier and Cabinet
- Department of Treasury and Finance
SA Health also engages with some non government and community service providers on a formal, direct basis and more broadly, on policy and planning matters. – less