Serco Employee Reviews

Good wages, not enough work to rely on.
Detainee Service Officer (Immigration) (Current Employee) –  Adelaide SA28 October 2017
Although working for Serco Immigration Services may be good for friendships and the wage is above average, being in a casual position limits you to a social life and constant stress due to not knowing when you will be working next.
Hard working environment
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northam WA12 October 2017
Very physical demanding job. Consistently being watched and monitored in all areas by big brother. Great work mates make it fun and enjoyable and entertained by detainees to distress from long hours. Cause a lot of mental and physical tiredness due to work loads.
Pros
Good money and work benefits.
Cons
As in most work places the gossip and rumors are full on.
Great training facilities provided & very strong staff well being focus
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD25 September 2017
I really enjoy working at Serco as the team building exercises have been fun and add to the day.

The culture is very much focused on making a job that can often be seen as very solitary (call center) as inclusive.
My experience at SERCO doesn't represent all of SERCO
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Not telling8 September 2017
I learnt a lot in my role with working for SERCO, with which I can use in other roles. Some lessons positive a lot negative but that has made me stronger mentally . I wouldn't resume my old role with SERCO for any amount of money . Even though I love the role dealing with customers and my co-works were the best and supportive, being micro managed to the point of feeling like a drone but keep getting told they want people and the actions taken by management left you wondering do I really want to be here and am I valued. And the most disheartening point was when a CEO of a SERCO contract stated when questioned about retaining customer service staff and what he was doing about it was " There is always a high turn over in customer service so why bother " even though the cost of advertising for new staff, the training of new staff and stress put on remaining staff to make up for the lack of staff while SERCO still needs to fulfill it contractual obligations. Big tip get in learn as much as you can, and when you first ask yourself do I want to be here ? have an exit strategy DON'T GET STUCK THERE.

P.s. there were 1 or 2 people that were part of management that tried to make a difference for the better, I am happy to report they work up to reality and moved onto better places.
Pros
Co-works rocked, meet lots of interesting people
Cons
Management, Being micro-managed, Feeling like you don't have a voice, Poor system to book time off, rosters release with less than 2 weeks notice ( regularly only days before)
Wonderfull Job
Safety Camera Opperator (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC28 July 2017
Different location every day, procedures had to be followed exactly but the training was enjoyable. The culture was relaxed, inclusive and very welcoming. The management listened and delt with any issues immediately. The hardest part of the job was dealing with people that objected to the use of camera cars and just viewed you as a revenue raising maggot.
The friendship and helpfulness of all the employees.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
unsocialable hours
Good work life balance
Detainee Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Perth Immigration Detention Center25 July 2017
Great opportunity to travel. Good bunch of officers and most managers were fair minded. Saw service on Christmas Island, long days but a great teamwork enviroment.
Pros
Pays
Cons
Pay mistakes
Great company
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Bendigo VIC18 July 2017
Great company, but very little job security in a third party call centre. Management was great as promotions were generally given internally and staff were always friendly.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Job Security
Serco
Court Security and Custodial Services Officer (Former Employee) –  Canning Vale WA5 July 2017
Start work, we get our route for the day. (paperwork) Check our equipment and our truck or bus. Then we are off to find our first clients for the day. These clients can be tricky at times so our attention must be 110% aware at all times.
Serco promotes a great workplace culture of honesty and integrity and how to treat people.
Management has always been supportive of me as I have been supportive of them.
The hardest part of the job is not knowing when one of our clients would go off and the threat to ourselves and the public. By keeping to Serco's SOPs and AI all threats were minimised.
Enjoyable part of the day is finishing work and knowing we had no escapes and no one was injured.
Pros
Great company to work for and on going training.
Cons
If there was any cons it would be to hire happier people.
great opportunity
Program and Activity Manager (Former Employee) –  Leonora WA19 June 2017
I had a great time working for the company.
If there were any opportunity to work again for the company I would love that opportunity.
The company was very supportive and caring towards the staff and client that were under its care.
serco was a awesome place to ork for the staff are willing and helpful
Domestic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth WA17 June 2017
i worked at Fiona Stanley hospital i worked when the hospital first opened My duties included cleaning offices and wards that were due to open My possition was on the cancer wards where isolated cleans were carried out Over all i found serco were a awesome company to work for I left company due to family reasons.
Pros
meeting some really positive people
Cons
working long hours
Supportive senior management
Client Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Perth WA11 June 2017
Justice sector contract.
Senior management were supportive of staff within the contract.
Professionally run with a generally positive workplace culture.
Good work environment, average pay
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Varsity Lakes QLD7 June 2017
Fast paced work, training is given often, plenty of chances to up-skill, pay is on the lower end of reasonable, but the work environment is quite supportive and friendly and so are management.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
average pay
a good place to work in
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Derby WA30 May 2017
meeting new people every day day and learning diffrent cultures and how they in their country.Diffrent food they cook, the hardest part of the job is dealing with the people that self harm themselfs
Highly secure environment
Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Ipswich QLD15 May 2017
Days are very regimented and tailored around the correctional setting that you are working in.
Days can be full of surprises and can also be very dour and unrewarding. There is little room for error or for losing concentration of the job at hand.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Lots of travel to get to work
worst place I have ever worked at
Customer Service representative (Former Employee) –  Varsity Lakes QLD11 May 2017
This call centre doesn't care about their employees at all. They are not understanding. You get forced into things you are not ready for. Even though you are a casual employee- you have to be available around the clock hours when it suits them and HAVE to bring doctors certificate every time you're sick- otherwise they give you written warnings. They have NO parking in the area at all, and actually tell you to catch public transport to work and back. Treat employees like garage.
Pros
easy to get a job
Cons
management/employment agreement sucks
a great company to work for.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  multiple roles and locations24 April 2017
a great company to work for, with a flexible approach as long as you have the right work ethic and still with room to improve regards automation... so many manual processes especially around new starters and leavers.
Pros
flexible approach
interesting place to work as you were serving immigration detainees in a detention centre
Shop Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Western Australia6 April 2017
I worked in a detention centre canteen. My day would start with restocking if it was needed, opening the shutter at 9am and serving immigration detainees. No money was exchanged as it was a point exchange system as money is not allowed into detention centres. The hardest part of my job was listening to detainees recount their stories. The best part was when detainees were released into the community with their visas. I learned to be empathic and to listen.
Pros
Great colleagues
Cons
possible danger when detainees would fight with each other
Excellent co-workers and nice environment
People & Culture Transaction Administrator (Former Employee) –  Adelaide City Centre SA28 March 2017
Every day was really busy unless payroll was locked for payments.

I learned mostly about myself and to improve how to cope with such a stressful job

It is a nice place to work, people are generally nice and respectful. Nice culture.

The hardest part of the job was to update the data in the system before the payroll cut off and answering so many calls when you were really busy

The most enjoyable part was to be able to have the flexibility of being late or early and make up the hours
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Low salary for a really stressful job
not this company
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Darwin NT25 March 2017
as they are rude to you if not quick enough they give a waring
the other work whinge and wine be hind your back when it your day off,
even if trying your 100%,supervisor is not very nice I would reckon mend this company I was stressed and very very unhappy there
Pros
there none
Cons
rude staff
Great company
Detainee services Manager FIFO (Current Employee) –  Weipa QLD21 March 2017
Serco is a great company to work for , however unfortunately , since the change of Government in relation to refugee arrivals work has slowed . Therefor not requiring staff.
Pros
Remote locations, great wages, everyday challenges
Cons
Nil