St Vincent de Paul Society Employee Reviews

Supports a good cause
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW3 November 2017
They help support multiple causes which need it. Its a volunteer service which does great work and allows people to give back to the community, essentially bettering society.
Great
Shop Assistant Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Gladstone QLD18 October 2017
Its a great place to be. Its basically my second family there. we help a lot of people and I think that's great. there are some people that are unhappy with the way things are done but that's ok
very productive and fun not-for profit organisation/workplace
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Melbourne Western Suburbs VIC16 October 2017
i enjoyed working there, very welcoming environment. It was nice working there as it felt nice making a difference in my community. It helped improve my communication skills and also teamwork. I am much more confident now.
Pros
we got 1 hour break
Cons
Relaxed environment which allowed for a gradual transition into customer service
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kensington and Norwood SA27 September 2017
I did not do very much in a typical day other than arrange displays for items and assist customers. But another part of this job was unique as I was able to prepare the items, e.g. clothes (by attaching tags and pricing).

There were no management roles as I was a volunteer but the manager of the store was very friendly and accommodating.

The hardest part of the job was interacting with the customers because at this time, I did not have very much experience with doing this.

The most enjoyable part was the feeling of helping people in the store find what they were looking for.
Pros
Good learning environment, a gradual transition into retail
Cons
Due to all the older, donated clothes, the store could sometimes be stuffy
food handling
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Whyalla SA27 September 2017
food handling picking and packing food people skills lifting and moving cupboards and draws
no money paid coz its volunteer work
i like meeting new people
Pros
meeting people
Cons
not getting paid
productive and good team work
volunteer (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA14 September 2017
Working with Vinnes has provided opportunity to know the work culture and dealing with different type of customers. It is one of the best experience I have gained ever since I am in Australia.
Productive and fun workplace with great co workers
Front Counter, customer service (Current Employee) –  Airlie Beach QLD7 September 2017
The shops are awesome with great volunteers and there is always something to do. The shops are very helpful to communities that are small and need extra help with food, clothes and other essentials people need and it is all at great cheap prices.
Pros
free lunches, some volunteers bake.
Cons
can be slow sometimes.
helping the less fortunate with clothes and blankets
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Griffith NSW3 September 2017
it is good working with St.Vincent DePaul, but its sad that the higher management is NOT seeing the true Nature of this society.
there are a lot of people that are struggling to survive in today's society.
I get a real buzz in helping those who really need it.
Pros
actually working and helping
Cons
Not enough paid hours !!!
Great experience
Volunteer Worker (Current Employee) –  Sydney Western Suburbs NSW16 August 2017
My experience was a school based environment, therefore the culture was already very positive. It is very rewarding giving back to the community and helping out those in need. That is the best part of this volunteer work.
volunteering, shop work
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woy Woy NSW14 August 2017
I liked working for this company, I worked on Fridays in the store.
I liked meeting and serving all kinds of clientelle. The friendly staff are always helpful.
Pros
volunteer work, helpful staff, choose own hours
Cons
two hours travel time, I personally could only spend a few hours in the store
Productive and fun place with approachable people who offer their help when needed.
Volunteer Retail Worker (Former Employee) –  Mornington VIC13 August 2017
A typical day at work meant that I would assist in the sorting of clothes, clean-up of the shop, and customer service (i.e. answering queries, locating items that customers were looking for, etc.).
The hardest part of the job was not being able to be there for long, I could only be working at the same time I was having a particular subject at school. The most enjoyable part was being surrounded by a team of people who were welcoming and were like family.
Pros
Putting in part in the community
Cons
N/a
very productive place to work
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  townsvlle25 July 2017
Items would be collected from pickup areas, sorted for resale or taken to dump. There is a lot of heavy lifting involved.

Staff are friendly and most of them are volunteers who work for non profit.
Pros
early finishes
Cons
too much heavy lifting
Working conditions varied and staff support could have been improved
Professional Driver/Removalist Handling (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA5 July 2017
This position entailed the collection and delivery of furniture and household essentials, requiring on many occasions two people to assist.

The position was made redundant when St Vincent De Paul outsourced their transport division.
fun at the library and St Vinnies op shop korumburra
Volunteer Worker (Current Employee) –  Korumburra VIC3 July 2017
St Vinnies is wonderful, the volunteers are lovely and will help you when you need it even if they are busy.
library is fast paced and easy the carts are easy to manuvoure as well as the computer.
Pros
accomodating and flexible
Cons
toilets
Casual and relaxed, a positive environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Geelong VIC2 July 2017
While working at St Vincent De Paul I learnt a lot about retail work, including cash handling and working on a till, cashier balancing and recovery of a store. The environment at St Vincent De Paul was very relaxed and positive, making going to work and learning a fun experience.
fun productive
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Shepparton VIC29 June 2017
It's a very welcoming environment, the management and staff members are very helpful. They put passion into their jobs, and treat costumers with warmth.
Pros
free tea and coffe
A rewarding volunteer position
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Fitzroy VIC22 June 2017
A really friendly environment amongst volunteers. Very flexible in terms of commitments, catering from every fortnight to multiple times a week. I mostly serve the local residents, who have proven to be polite and pleasant overall.
a typical day at the service
ACTIVE VOLUNTEERING (Former Employee) –  Corinda QLD12 June 2017
you start by opening the till, then the rest of the day folding and labeling clothes along with helping and talking to customers . The closong of the store was accompanied with 2 others in case of an emergency ,
Pros
happy people, happy customers
Cons
labeling the price for second hand clothes were overpriced
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT12 June 2017
Good place to do work experience with, productive days and enjoyed creating happiness for disadvantaged kids. good to see the parents happy and enjoyed travelling to schools.
Seeing life on the other side...
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Miller 21687 June 2017
I Was only a kid myself though i remember going around and giving people food and any children they would find them a shelter and help them ...i had done lots of work with my own area my Dad would cook for all the old pensioner's in units near us and i would take there meals over every night it was about giving and helping and caring so important...
Pros
See Them Smile ...
Cons
seeing people on the street's