The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Simple and fun volunteer work
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Geelong VIC7 February 2018
Simple volunteer work that better improved my ability to take in accounting, social skills and ambition for god and wellbeing in the workplace. I believe I picked up a lot of knowledge working through charity.
Pros
Free meal, higher skill set
Cons
Good work, friendly staff. Fun work environment .
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bayswater WA4 February 2018
I very much enjoyed my experiences working for The Salvation Army Bayswater. The staff are fine people and the work is not difficult. The store is well maintained and clean and there's always a bargain to be found...
great place to work
Sales Assistant (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Warilla NSW4 February 2018
It was a great environment that allowed me to expand my knowledge on a daily basis as the job involved a lot of thinking on your feet such as dealing with customer complaints and organizing pick up and deliveries
Pros
great team work
Cons
not enough weekend breaks
Rewarding
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland VIC1 February 2018
The atmosphere was amazing and the staff are lovely people. It's not an overwhelming job, very laid-back, and enables you to take away valuable customer service skills.
great management
Retail Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT11 January 2018
I love Slovs store.

• Manage store presentation;
• Manage stocktaking duties alongside Manager on a fortnightly basis;
• Face-to-face dealing with customers and in-store enquiries;
• Training of new staff in operation of cash register and service desk operations;
• Banking duties on a daily basis;
• Worked full time Monday to Friday, and every second Saturday on a rotational basis with
Manager, as well as covering any of the Manager’s annual leave or sick days.
Pros
nothing for free
Cons
never had over time working
Wonderful experience.
Social Welfare Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Grafton NSW10 January 2018
Great place to work! Supportive staff who adapt to changing cultures, in a flexible work environment. Provide essential services to people with complex needs in crisis.
Pros
Training
Great Place to work - great culture
While volunteering (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD2 January 2018
Enjoyed the varied work and the great people. Rewarding volunteering and being appreciated. good sense of community and the company is caring and do great things.
Good work place with happy people
SHOP ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Camberwell VIC2 January 2018
Had a great time working at the salvos although I was just volunteering.I really enjoyed how we all went out to dinner after work or on Fridays. Would love to work in retail again
Pros
Going out to dinner
Cons
Sometimes exhausting work
Working for the charity that does what it says and goes the extra mile
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  South corridor27 December 2017
In my time with the Salvation army as a manager of their stores in the South corridor. I always had enormous fun with the volunteers I sourced and made many friendships. We had a great team spirit which brought lots of laughter and the customers loved us for the friendly environment which we created.
It was good to know the effort we put in provided such a difference to people in genuine need
Pros
Great team spirit
Cons
Public leaving unusable donations out of hours which the company had to pay to have removed
Productive and efficient workplace
Nursery Hand (Former Employee) –  Riverview QLD11 December 2017
Nothing bad to say, i was treated with respect and highly appraised for my work as i would put 100% effort into all jobs asked of me. The manager and supervisor both can highly regard my work and are happy to give me a great reference
Very nice, loving hardworking people
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW16 November 2017
Very caring organisation. Cares about th people they help , care about volunteers. I helped in the SGHS and St. John’s . Very kind and helpful.
Pros
Free lunch
Excellent workplace for Volunteers
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Marion SA12 November 2017
I have only volunteered there but I have certainly learned a lot of new skills. Character building, how to deal with diverse clientele and staff. Will join again.
Pros
Good Management
Cons
Being ackknowledged as job seeker not so good
It's a nice place if you like helping people out.
Volunteer Store person (Former Employee) –  Lalor VIC12 November 2017
It's the Salvos. I mean come on... What's not to like about them. They help the community by providing cheap goods to poor people, and the volunteers really care.
Pros
pretty much everything
Cons
no chairs to sit while you work.
Fun environment with enthusiastic workers
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sunday, NSW11 November 2017
This volunteer role took a while to organise, but once the paperwork was complete the role was extremely rewarding. The work involved cleaning the shop, steaming and ironing clothes, using name/pricing tags and organising shelves.
Pros
Kind staff
Cons
N/a
Most enjoyable work environment, very friendly staff
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW9 November 2017
I loved it here, volunteering here was a pleasure, i got to learn the many difficulties involved in many peoples life which made me feel like its time to really make the change needed, the staff here were really caring and we were treated just like family, very comforting, an average day we will be trying to collect money and spread awareness to people on the streets, its a very heart warming job and i would never hesitate to volunteer here again
Pros
Great people
Cons
nothing
Team leader of Butterfly houses (Former Employee) –  Narrabundah ACT7 November 2017
An aged care facility with a difference. Staff are not only allowed to sit with residents, they are encouraged to communicate on a more personal level.
Salvation Army Aged Care Plus are great believers in further education. They will do all they can to ensure that staff are fully trained. selected staff were put forward to take on new roles. Management were friendly and cared about work/life balance.
The culture in the facility was one of kindness and caring. Salvation Army Aged Care Plus took on a new care model called the Butterfly Project. This was run through the Dementia Care Matters system. The Salvation Army Aged Care Plus (Narrabundah) attained the highest level in the certification.
The hardest part of the job was residents passing. As we had a more personal approach, their passing hit a little harder.
Getting valuable one on one time with the residents was a major plus part of the job.
Pros
Salary packaging
Cons
Early starts
Volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD5 November 2017
Great work environment safe place
Team Friendly to work
Have the opportunity to expand skills and experience
Great availability and work times
lovely management
Supportive and friendly workplace
ER Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Whyalla Norrie SA5 November 2017
Each day is different. Clients can be a challenge but the whole team is supportive. There are more volunteers than paid workers but everyone works together well. The hardest part of the job is when you are not able to provide what the client needs, some of the stories are heart breaking. The best part, the support from everyone around you. The volunteers I work with have the same work ethic they would in a paid position.
Pros
the people
Cons
not enough hours.
Values Money over the clients
Business Coordinator Employment Plus (Current Employee) –  Western Australia2 November 2017
When you are told to spend a max of 10 minutes on each client and to get them in and out and concentrate on getting payslips in to get the money from the government in - there is a complete lack of effort in actually helping anyone get a job.
Pros
Salary Packaging
Cons
Low wages and getting abused all day
Good Volunteer Workplace, Friendly Environment
Volunteer Worker (Current Employee) –  Campbelltown SA28 October 2017
Working as a volunteer here is a good experience and meeting friendly staff. To work to help others is a rewarding past-time and good for me as a new migrant to Australia.
Pros
discounts on items for sale
Cons
no pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.

53.3K