The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Excellent workplace for Volunteers
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Marion SA12 November 2017
I have only volunteered there but I have certainly learned a lot of new skills. Character building, how to deal with diverse clientele and staff. Will join again.
Pros
Good Management
Cons
Being ackknowledged as job seeker not so good
It's a nice place if you like helping people out.
Volunteer Store person (Former Employee) –  Lalor VIC12 November 2017
It's the Salvos. I mean come on... What's not to like about them. They help the community by providing cheap goods to poor people, and the volunteers really care.
Pros
pretty much everything
Cons
no chairs to sit while you work.
Supportive and friendly workplace
ER Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Whyalla Norrie SA5 November 2017
Each day is different. Clients can be a challenge but the whole team is supportive. There are more volunteers than paid workers but everyone works together well. The hardest part of the job is when you are not able to provide what the client needs, some of the stories are heart breaking. The best part, the support from everyone around you. The volunteers I work with have the same work ethic they would in a paid position.
Pros
the people
Cons
not enough hours.
Values Money over the clients
Business Coordinator Employment Plus (Current Employee) –  Western Australia2 November 2017
When you are told to spend a max of 10 minutes on each client and to get them in and out and concentrate on getting payslips in to get the money from the government in - there is a complete lack of effort in actually helping anyone get a job.
Pros
Salary Packaging
Cons
Low wages and getting abused all day
Good Volunteer Workplace, Friendly Environment
Volunteer Worker (Current Employee) –  Campbelltown SA28 October 2017
Working as a volunteer here is a good experience and meeting friendly staff. To work to help others is a rewarding past-time and good for me as a new migrant to Australia.
Pros
discounts on items for sale
Cons
no pay
Pleasant staff
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Murray Bridge SA23 October 2017
Was a fulfilling experience to volunteer alongside other staff members at the Murray Bridge Salvos. It was a fantastic way to help and get to know the community.
Pros
Team members
Cons
It is fun to work with fellow co-workers
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Perth WA21 October 2017
This job has helped with my learning of mathematics and made me more confident aroundo other people I have met lots of people who have made me feel welcome and that has helped my confidence strengthen.
Pros
Good pays per hour
productive and educational
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Cranbourne North VIC16 October 2017
Busy, laid back, fun, organised, colour coded, stocking, packing and upacking, assisting customers.Management was kind and understandning of all circumstances.
Pros
friendly envrionment
Cons
only volunteer work
good learning experience
Assist clients to access welfare services (Former Employee) –  Macquarie Fields NSW12 October 2017
it was a great learning experience i really learned alot the staff were freindly and very kind and helpd me fit in very well i really enjoyed my time there
Pros
close to transport
fun to work
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bundamba QLD30 September 2017
the most enjoyable part of this job is that everyone works as a team and are very polite and helpful and supportive to get the job done without a fuss.
good working environment
Voluntary work - Clothes/item sorting (Current Employee) –  Cannington WA21 September 2017
the work was easy and something different from what i was used to do for work and everyday was was just the same thing over and over again and never got to work out the front of the the store as the first day i started i was told to work out the back and that is it i don't think i will be wanting to work there again as they were a bit rude to me and they didn't let me know what else i could do.
You live and learn
Truck Driver / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Deer Park VIC17 September 2017
They don`t support there drivers, too many jobs in 1 day to get done, barely have time to take breaks, deal with bad donors all the time, they are more worried about there image then anything else, someone from the public made false accusations about me and they fired me with out sufficient evidence to back up the claims. Salvos don`t help the needy, they sell everything in there shops to turn over a profit, and what they don`t sell they throw into the garbage.
Pros
Not Much
Cons
Not much either
Best Time
Retail Sales Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Sinnamon Park QLD6 September 2017
I was a retail volunteer and loved every minute of it. The staff especially the Manager were extremely great to work with, unfortunately I had to leave to find paid work but would definitely recommend it to anyone who would love to give back to the community.
Pros
Everyone is friendly
Cons
n/a
Good place for work experience
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  South Adelaide SA10 August 2017
It was fun and friendly environment. I really enjoy while I was doing my work experience. Others may think of it as not qualify place or something but I don't think the same.
Productive, happy, bubbly workplace
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Ipswich City QLD5 August 2017
The workplace was full of bubbly people, you met new customers with different personalities volunteer work made a huge improvement on me it taught me Alot of new skills.
Pros
learn new skills
Cons
No salary because it was volunteer work.
productive and fun
customer service, sorting stock (Former Employee) –  Carnegie VIC2 August 2017
gives self worth as you are helping out the less fortunate
very laid back and say working environment
fair enjoyable but can become boring
stock always has to be checked to see if it is up to standard
Amazing
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Unley SA25 July 2017
I love volunteering, To be able to help out these guys was amazing, they care for you and are in general fun people to be around and love a helping hand.
Pros
fun
Cons
nothing
Salvo's
RETAIL ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Chelsea Heights VIC24 July 2017
Before working at the salvo's, had no experience working in retail. Now I feel a little more confident than when I started. I wish to continue learning and growing in retail.
Pros
Learnt new skills
Cons
Sometimes a tense enviroment to work in
oriented on disadvantaged and less fortunate people
Evangelism & Youth Outreach Director (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, MD12 July 2017
A typical day at work can never be predicted.
I learned that Doing the Most Good with the Salvation Army is a big privilege.
It's hard at times to manage your working hours trying to cover a lot of things that need to be done.
The workplace culture is very supportive and ready to share their experience with you.
The hardest part of the job as a Youth Pastor was to remain Spiritually healthy as much as physically and morally.
The most enjoyable part of the job was to see people's lives change.
Fantastic
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lilydale VIC11 July 2017
Fantastic culture at the Lilydale store I can't speak for any other division or store. Everyone is lovely and nothing i expected or demanded of you that you cant do, everything is within reason.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.