The University of Queensland Employee Reviews

Working culture good, nice environment, was made Redundant due to restructure at UQ.
Finance Officer (Former Employee) –  St Lucia QLD5 December 2017
Good working condition at St. Lucia, The University of Queensland.

My role was Finance Officer within the Scholarships Unit of DVC (EE) portfolio.

I managed the Australia Awards Scholarships financials, including quarterly invoicing, managing student allowances and other scholarship related financial activites and payments.
N/a
Thesis Examination Officer (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD26 November 2017
This organisation is too big to review. I have held one academic and two professional appointments at UQ and my experiences differed substantially with each position.
Relaxed yet engaging work environment.
Casual Academic CHEM1004 (Former Employee) –  Gatton QLD21 November 2017
I enjoy teaching and communicating with other people. The hardest part was coming up with new ways to explain concepts to students that didn't understand the first time. However, I never felt pressured or uncomfortable. My colleagues and management were really wonderful people.
Productive and fun workplace.
Student Relations Network Call Crew (Current Employee) –  St Lucia QLD30 October 2017
Amazing culture and extremely enjoyable to come to work. I felt constantly supported and able to grow as a person through the job. They provided plenty of training.
very high regarded university in Australia
Tutor - School of Economics (Former Employee) –  Brisbane, Australia12 October 2017
very high regarded university in Australia, best learning and development opportunities
Very tough environment
Program Leader Community Engagement & Consultation (Former Employee) –  Ipswich QLD12 October 2017
Working on contract is very difficult with periods of service generally depending on the funding you generate through your personal work area. Some contracts may be for 12 months, three months or only a month. A bit tough when you have a family.
Good place and people
Reseacher (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD5 October 2017
A very good university for research with highly productive research academics. overall I enjoyed my time at UQ, good place and people, a very nice campus.
course assistance
Event Coordinator for Couse Tour3009 (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD19 September 2017
I was able to working as the course assistance when undertaking the Tour3009 course. It was a valuable experience that I have the opportunity to talk to some CEOs.
supportive colleagues
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD17 September 2017
Supportive colleagues which made all the difference to my enjoyment of the job. However, while pay seems equitable, the hours put in to do an excellent and not just a competent job are not well-rewarded.
Flexible hours and good environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD17 July 2017
Given flexi hours to complete assignments. Respectful environment. Given access to plentiful resources to conduct necessary research at own time. Enjoyed experience.
Excellent colleagues, ruthless senior managers, toxic work culture
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  St Lucia QLD3 July 2017
Lovely campus. Good colleagues. Stimulating and challenging work. But toxic work culture, incredibly conservative, corporate, damaging. I would not recommend it, even if the salary is good and the job looks fantastic in paper. Crushing place, particularly for younger professionals who will be used and abused in a difficult environment for older and seasoned colleagues.
Pros
good salary
Cons
crushing toxic culture, bullying galore
Volunteer Work
Volunteer Work: Assistant for event setting (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD3 July 2017
Great staff to work with, the student services of UQ gave me a training before starting this volunteer work. I gained lots of experiences from this volunteer work, I had a chance to meet employees and discussed about job opportunities at the event.
Very good working environment
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Brisbane17 May 2017
Perfect place to work as a researcher. Very good services for people working at the University. Excellent laboratories where all the consumables is always present. Excellent extra work facilities.
A great place to work, save the spineless management!
Senior Technician (Former Employee) –  St Lucia QLD16 May 2017
The University is a beautifully presented workplace with many great amenities for Staff and Students alike.
Conditions are very good, with a fair pay-structure of penalties for overtime and accumulated extra-hours can be taken as flexi-hours. Typically, a working day is 7.25 hours.
Work-life balance is encouraged.
I found the majority of my colleagues to be honest and friendly, which made going to work a pleasure.

The caveat comes into play when considering what school you happen to be employed with, and importantly, whether previous staff have coveted your role for themselves.

In my experience, some management displayed cowardice and deception which could only be described as breathtaking, but alas, managers are not necessarily leaders.

Academic Staff tend to be over-worked and generally under-appreciated, Professional Staff may enjoy a relaxed work atmosphere, but this also seems dependent upon what school they are employed within, and the culture within that particular faculty.

If you plan to work at U.Q, you should seriously consider joining the Union on your first day. For if someone doesn't like your shoes, your hair-style, etc, you may not get past the probationary period.
Pros
Good Conditions and amenities
Cons
Some staff are relentlessly overworked, elements of deception within workplace culture
Research focussed institution
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Brisbane16 May 2017
A G08 University with excellence as their mantra when it comes to research.
Without publications your future is not assured.
A good mix of domestic and international students.
Pros
Great location; some helpful staff;
Cons
lack of security of employment
An exciting learning environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD8 May 2017
Working at UQ comes with the same frustrations you might face at any large organisation (e.g. payroll processing, possible delays when communicating with HR, etc), but generally it is exciting to work at a beautiful campus (St Lucia) with excellent facilities (apart from parking).
les vacances au boulot
Magasinier (Former Employee) –  Brisbane, Australie7 May 2017
Super ambiance, personnel jovial, la direction ne tire pas sur la corde et éprouve de la reconnaissance pour le travail bien fait. Dommage que ce soit à 25000km.
Had a pleasant experience working at the University of Queensland
Research scholar (Former Employee) –  Brisbane, Australia20 February 2017
I was assigned to work on a vaccine related project with my supervisor at the University of Queensland. My typical day would consist of discussions with my supervisor, performing lab duties, helping other honour students, making notes of the daily tasks, keeping the stock of all the chemical supplies and plastic wares required for the experiment.
The tasks were enjoyable as we all had a very friendly and healthy conversation with our supervisor and had fun whenever possible !
Research Clinician
Speech Pathologist Research Clinician (Former Employee) –  Queensland, Australia16 January 2017
Collection of qualitative data about live participation in adults living with stroke, 2 months, 6 months and 12 months post CVA. Based in hospital and community settings,
High quality UNI
undergraduate project (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD15 January 2017
High quality university provided valuable knowledge and excellent facilities for student to improve themselfs

provided a lot of chances to work on hand other than theory base
Pros
chances to learn
Cons
expensive