University of Melbourne Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Working for The University of Melbourne
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC27 July 2017
It was great to work there. I made alot of friends that I sadly left behind when I left.  I have alot of good memories.  I recommend working there. My sister is still working there after 35 years in the Political Science Department. I was in the History Department then moved to The Biochemistry Department. Under Helen Varnavas and Professor Wettenhall.
Pros
Superanuation
Cons
Academic Services - Enjoyable work with great benefits. Poor management and nepotism.
STUDENT SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC17 July 2017
I was working as a Student Service Representative within Academic Services. A typical day could see me either answering phone calls or face-to-face enquiries from both current and prospective students. I learned a great deal about the functioning of Universities and the significant level of bureaucracy that goes into their management. Some of which is very obviously redundant and self-serving.

Whilst my day to day interactions with my colleagues and managers were positive, there was a deep-running current of disrespect and indifference towards staff. I would caution this by saying this was my experience in Academic Services, particularly Stop 1 and the Contact Centre. A complete lack of trust in staff and their capabilities led to significant micromanagement. I'd squarely lay the blame at senior management's feet, as pretty much everyone else that works there are decent and kind people who will make it enjoyable to come to work.

I would underline all of this with the premise that I may just be bitter and jaded after working there a long time. If you enjoy significant direction and oversight in your work, then Stop 1 at Unimelb is the place for you.
Pros
Remuneration, flexibility, job security.
Cons
Nepotism, weak management, gargantuan bureaucracy.
Shared Services Structure of support
Procurement Manager (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC17 July 2017
Working through the transformation of shared services implementation. Striving for high savings benefit through Procurement.
More work in progress to achieve outcomes.
Pros
Good Open Office
Cons
Political Alignment
Just a Great Place to work
Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Carlton VIC27 May 2017
The University of Melbourne is an excellent place to work, the staff is very friendly and professional. They look after your needs and are very accommodating with the work life balance.
Pros
Great work / life balance
Cons
As a contractor there are no benefits or entitlements
Very little feedback on existing projects and planning.
Planning and Maintenance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Carlton VIC12 May 2017
Expectation of giving more for less pay/benefits. Very difficult to fit in with academics view of your work. Difficult to carry out work with a constantly changing scope and agenda.
My time working at University of Melbourne
IT Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Gate 12, Royal Parade Parkville VIC 3052 Australia9 May 2017
During my time there, I got to see quite a lot of the inner workings of both student life and the behind the scenes of the faculty. The job taught me a lot of key interpersonal skills, working closely with University staff and students.
Nice place to learn
Master of Management Student (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC1 April 2017
Nice place to learn and build network. It gives us full support and guidance in career development as well as personal improvement. It emphasizes the development of people.
Excellent pay and awesome learning environment
Assistant/Farm hand Dookie College (Former Employee) –  Dookie VIC8 March 2017
Good job opportunity in Dookie, also a big learning curve and exceptional staff on hand.The best university in Australia, with the strongest culture and traditions, these characteristics transcend into the work environment and allows for a rich learning and development environment.
Pros
Always learning and gaining experience
Cons
Non
Great learning environment with friendly people
Campus sports staff (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC4 March 2017
Working here was a great opportunity and the days were very relaxed and not a high intensity job. Uniforms were given which were a bonus and very helpful management team.
Mentioned before
Chemistry Laboratory Demonstrator (Former Employee) –  The University of Melbourne31 January 2017
Laboratory demonstration was a challenging experience which was truely valuable which gave me a great sense of responsibility and improved my leadership skills as well as time management ability.
Pros
good pay
Cons
time consuming report marking
Good Place to work
IT Systems Specialist (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC18 January 2017
The UoM is a good place to work with a good work-life balance. The management is also good but they do not consider individuals talents and experience and refer them for better career opportunities.

The job is stable good for individuals who would like to work till retirement, not a place to move up in career.

Hence i am looking for new and challenging roles that will boost my career and help me to grow and succeed.
Great Work Life Balance
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC8 December 2016
Ability to learn about so many different businesses all within the one employer. This can however also be challenging to get projects easily delivered.
Professional and advanced organisation
Deployment and Support Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC1 November 2016
Multi culture atmosphere with friendly staff. A place to grow your profession in any aspect. I've learner a lot during my career in University of Melbourne and have expanded mu knowledge.
A diverse and interesting role.
Student Service and Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC19 October 2016
I enjoyed assisting both students, academics, and various other stakeholders. The work was varied and involved multiple tasks across a wide range of areas.
Fees Officer
Student Services Fees Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne Australia16 October 2016
Positive environment, opportunity for personal and career growth.
Regular training offered.
Excellent benefits.
Outstanding facilities
High pressure job
Pros
Career advancement
Cons
Exciting and cutting edge research
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, Australia27 September 2016
I enjoyed, tremendously, working with my colleagues. I learned from them and was able to draw on their individual experience and in turn utilize it in my daily job life. I felt that the academic, and research focused environment that encompassed most aspects of this role served to reinforce my skills as an urban planner; the nuts and bolts of urban planning were built here.
Productive and fun workplace
Business Analyst / Service Analyst (Former Employee) –  Parkville VIC17 August 2016
They are committed to the aspirations and actions of our Reconciliation Action Plan. We are aware of the disadvantage experienced by Indigenous Australians and to respond we provide direct recruitment support to Indigenous Australians who would like to apply for our jobs.
work and family balance
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC22 July 2016
Enjoyed learning new skills, contributed to providing information for decision making. Friendly working environment. flexibility
Graduate Researcher Assistant
PhD student (Former Employee) –  School of Chemistry6 July 2016
The work place and the laboratories are very pleasant. This research job was very instructive. People in MelbUni are collaborative and I enjoy working there. However, it was sometime a bit difficult to find people that work in your same area.
Pros
Plenty chemicals and instruments
Cons
Few people to discuss about the results
Enlightening
Student (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC30 May 2016
I learned a great deal from the Agricultural course and developed technical insights into the agricultural industry turning passion into skills. I took particular interest in plant pathogen control, economics, irrigation and soil analysis.