University of New South Wales Employee Reviews

Academic (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT3 August 2017
A good place to work. I learnt alot about competitive research environments. The most enoyable part of the job was working with students. A typical day at work involved a lot of multitasking.
Pros
Lots of student contacts
Cons
Very long hours of work
Amazing work experience
Visiting Researcher (Former Employee) –  Sydney Australia14 April 2017
It was very please place to be. I met good people and I still in touch with them. Very safe place to be. Australia is one of the best country in the to live.
Really good work environment
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Sydney Eastern Suburbs NSW1 February 2017
Working with students is a lot of fun, I really enjoy teaching. Helping students makes me realize that while in first and second year, without someone mentoring you who has gone through the process, it was a lot more difficult. It was challenging because I had to have a broad knowledge on the Interior Architecture world so I was constantly researching and reading, but it was fun and very rewarding when you see your students do well.
Cons
Long Hours
One of the best universities in the world
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW21 January 2017
Imperial College London gathers some of the best researchers in the world. The pressure to bring funding in senior researchers, however, disrupts long-term science output quality.
Excellent & Rewarding Place to work
Senior Receptionist & Communication Officer (Former Employee) –  Kensington NSW28 December 2016
Excellent and rewarding place to work with a lot of opportunity for advancement. Staff and Management work well together and the eating facilities are perfect for both students and staff.
Pros
Great eating shops and areas
Cons
long way to travel
productive and interesting workplace
PhD student (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT27 October 2016
The lectures and colleagues are supportive and friendly.
The environment is relaxed and relatively free.
Work is very independent and long time-demanding.
Pros
friendly colleague
Cons
slow pace
provided a fantastic start for a young engineer
micro-manufacturing engineer (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSW18 February 2016
My projects revolved around the development of microscale hermetic capsules. This required joining of dissimilar materials in Alumina ceramic and Titanium through various brazing methods. I was required to create testing capsules and also develop testing procedures in accordance to military standards.

A typical week involved processing samples from the previous week as well as creating new samples. Carrying out testing procedures and documenting changes as part of a quality management system.

My honest opinion is the project could have been handled much better. Delegation of funding, lack of communication and too much of a focus on documentation prevented greater success

The freedom I had and initial learning opportunities were invaluable.
Pros
fantastic learning environmet
Cons
instability
An enriching expereince
Tutor - Clinical Governance (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSW4 January 2016
Working as a Tutor exposed me to diverse multicultural students with the experience gained in mentoring them and putting my knowledge of clinical governance in academic practice.
I also got to deliver lectures based on my thesis to postgraduate students and share my expertise on the topic. the most enjoyable part of the job was to be able to work closely with the students as well as my university professors in helping to deliver the course.
Felexible hours, casual clothware
Ph.D candidate (Current Employee) –  Kensington, NSW2 October 2015
contains all facilities including gym, restaurants, accommodation, convenience public transport
It is also a multicultural environment that provides opportunities to get familiar with different cultural background as well improve the communication and interpersonal skills.
Pros
free training courses
Cons
usually is hard to get a permanent postions
Great experience
Postgraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSW18 August 2015
I spent 10 months to work in a research laboratory in clinical medicine. It was a beautiful experience. My supervisor had great management skills and team was really friendly
Not a place for higher education
PhD Student (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSW25 July 2015
I have never seen a university with the most contaminated facilities such as greenhouse, laboratories, and working environment. This university had the worst cases of mismanagement: The department of maths and statistic had refused many times to assist PhD students.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
university mismanagement
UNSW is subject to government funding and as such the needs of the corporate dollar are taking over.
Graphic Designer; Art Director; Creative Director (Current Employee) –  Unsw Sydney, NSW30 October 2014
Like all jobs in this current climate, you will be at times overworked, underpaid and under appreciated, so make sure you love what you do. The salaries at this university are below average in creative fields, however the benefits are high like all universities.
It is a university, so the culture is a little like being in school, and superiors will treat you that way.
They adhere very strictly to the letter of the law as a university is a government body.
The best part of this job is the working conditions are more laid back in general, the offices are air-conditioned, the holidays are in excess of standard as is the superannuation.
Pros
Laid back, Air Con, Extra free holidays
Cons
Creativity is stifled.
This is my masters by reserach thesis
Grain Growth Project Member (Former Employee) –  Sydney-Australia29 September 2014
I have learn more about the time management and learn about the graphical analysis of standard deviation and statistical analysis using my research data.

I have published a paper on this work.
Pros
good labs and work enivironment
Cons
No cons
This is about as reserach student
Ageing Heat Treatment Member (Former Employee) –  Sydney-Australia29 September 2014
I have learn about electron microscopy analysis, aluminum alloys and its recrystallization
Pros
Good working atmosphere
Cons
short breaks
Buena experiencia laboral
ASISTENTE DE GERENCIA SERVICIO AL CLIENTE (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSW1 June 2014
Verificar emails, realizar los pendientes, apoyar a la gerencia en lo que requiera, envio de informes.
Labores administrativas
Buena comunicacion de la gerencia
Siempre prestos a ayudar y apoyar.
Al inicio el idioma.
Llegar al nivel deseado por la empresa.
Pros
Pago a tiempo
Cons
Trabajo temporal por modalidad de visa
Good learning experience.
Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Sydney, Australia21 April 2014
Independently designed experiments and carried out analysis and experimentation.
Nice and friendly academic environment to work in
Casual lecturer, tutor (Current Employee) –  Randwick, NSW23 February 2014
It is a pleasure to work with high quality academics and also with students who aim to acheive new heights in their lives.
A collaborative and friendly workplace
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kensington, NSW6 August 2013
A typical day at work includes responding to emails, recruiting participants and running various experiments. Data input is also a daily activity as well as working together with colleagues to improve productivity.
Very Productive
Visiting Professor (Former Employee) –  New South Wales, Australia18 September 2012
I taught several courses in Operations Management to the Undergraduate & Graduate students. I had to manage classes without the use of internet facilities.
Pros
nothing in particular
Cons
no additional benefit