University of Sydney Employee Reviews

A good way to end your uni life
Econometrics and Economics Tutor (Former Employee) –  New South Wales14 September 2017
The job opportunity is provided to PhD and honours students. It was a good way to end my uni life. The job provided an opportunity to engage with first and second year students, feeding into the student support culture at Sydney Uni.
Great place to work and learn
Research Assistant - part time (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW7 September 2017
The University of Sydney is a wonderful place to work and learn. Professional and encouraging staff members. Great location. Close to transport and amenities
Pros
working with highly intelligent people
Cons
no enough staff parking available
Productive study environment
Volunteering and Extra-curricular Activities (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW20 August 2017
Usually gets quite busy; convenient transportation; great staff members. I'm proud of being a student from the University of Sydney. It was easy to make friends.
Teaching Assisstant
Teaching Assistant & Laboratory Demonstrator (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW14 August 2017
Nice opportunity to work for the University of Sydney. Really luck to join the tutor team. The working environment is excellent and the payment is good.
Productive place with international friendly people.
Internship (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW3 August 2017
I worked on microscopes, like Optical microscope and SEM after preparing samples. I learnt how to prepare them and use machines for the preparation.
It was a Research project, so the hardest was to interprete or find results which were reliable.
Cons
Managed my time as I wanted to
Excellent Staff and working terms and conditions.
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Burwood NSW28 June 2017
The position entailed working as Administrative Officer, working with blood specimens and sorting blood specimens.

The position, also experience in Medical Records, reading and liaisons Honourary Pysicians and Medical Officers as well as Patients.
Very fun place to work and good rewards.
Workshop Developer and Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW11 April 2017
Teaching at university of Sydney is a pleasure. The only concern is the contractual nature of employment as casuals. Need to have more job security and it will be best.
A great university
Tutor/Lab demonstrator (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW22 February 2017
A great university. Very comfortable for the working environment, friendly staffs. You get trained before you attend any job duties. Most enjoyable part is to talk with those young fellows
World class university
Researcher (voluntary) (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW21 February 2017
It's a well established university, the oldest in Australia. Depending on your discipline, some areas are better than others.
Fun workplace that allows you assist future students
Open day Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW19 February 2017
Interacting with the students who are interested in the degree I am studying has allowed me to express myself about the degree and the obstacles I have been through during my studies. Giving advice and help to students has made the workplace more fun when they understand more about the degree and the things they can do at a University
Pros
Free lunches, casual work
Reliable and consistent
Tutor for Cross-Cultural Management (Former Employee) –  Sydney19 February 2017
Reliable employer, with good culture. Allocation of resources to teams in need of assistant was commendable. Unfortunately a department reshuffle brought morale down, and this was mismanaged.
Privileged to work at the University of Sydney
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW29 January 2017
Commencing as a casual I was pleased to be offered a permanent role at the University.
I had my own office space and felt i was supportive to the DVC.

It was indeed a very proud time to working in the role of Personal Assistant.
the only hard part was the travel daily Richmond to Central by train then bus to the University.

Management excellent.
Pros
Own office space
Cons
Travel
Great campus, central location, satisfying work
Project Manager Oral Health (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW11 January 2017
The University of Sydney is a great place to work, my colleagues were fantastic as was my director, very satisfying work and great work-life balance. Working in the University sector also provides great superannuation allowances.
Pros
Work-life balance, salary, superannuation, location
Cons
Not many hours needed in the office
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW6 January 2017
My coworker and I were responsible for individual literature reviews to help PhD students begin identifying the basis of their individual theses. We were able to do most of our research off-site with just a weekly meeting on campus
The work environment within the university is friendly and fun to work in.
BA Manager, ICT PMO (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW8 November 2016
The work environment within the university is friendly and the culture is very good. It has implemented processes to ensure duty of care for its employees and contracted personnel.
Pros
The university have implemented processes to look after its personnel.
Cons
At times it can be political like most large corporations
Due to my personal choices I had to change my job more frequently
Master of Medicine (Paediatric Medicine)-Student (Former Employee) –  New South Wales31 October 2016
My master of Pediatric was mainly on online course after a few weeks of lecture and tutorial. During my study period I worked in overseas.After that due to my some personal problem I had to join new job and now working in Dubai.
High Volume Workload, Rewarding
Placement Coordinator (Secondary) (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW25 October 2016
High Volume Workload with Tight Deadlines.

Highly developed communication and interpersonal skills required in order to liaise with students, staff and external stakeholders as sometimes most of the day will be spent on telephone communicating with students and stakeholders, handling in-person student queries or answering email correspondence.

Tact, discretion, open-mindness, cultural awareness is essential as the workplace and students are multicultural and all student cases are subject to university privacy, security and disclosure policies.
Pros
Great working conditions, great co-workers
Cons
Tight Deadlines
I learned conveyancing on this job and loved it
Post-graduate student (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW24 October 2016
Great autonomy was terrific at first but it also meant I assumed a great deal of responsibility since I had carriage of conveyancing and mortgage/finance files. The manager was extremely knowledgeable and took time to teach me all aspects of conveyancing. The hardest part was the sheer volume of settlements that I was involved with. Since exchange of contracts involved huge sums of money, there was no room for mistakes or misunderstandings. Conflicting deadlines proved extremely challenging but I loved it.
Pros
Autonomy and my own office
Cons
Often worked six days a week
Fun
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW23 September 2016
It's fun, you don't have to wear business attire, you meet lots of interesting people, you have flexible hours and pretty much do your hours. But there is tons of work and you have to work extra hours to be on time with your work schedule.
University of Sydney, limited career prospects, bad management
Site Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fisher Library1 July 2016
I am wanting to do a "Brexit" from the University of Sydney, an institution of bad management practice, limited job prospects even for qualified people like me, limited training opportunities, a toxic culture of low morale. Anyone want to hire me ?
Pros
The lovely sandstone buildings.
Cons
Management culture, career advancement, infrastructure, worst libraries I have ever encountered; low morale.