VicRoads Employee Reviews

very good people to work
store manager / maintenance (Former Employee) –  Kew VIC9 May 2017
Enjoyed my time at Vic Roads. People there were very friendly and approachable, but the facilities management were very rude andnot very polite at all
Pros
great hours, close to home
Cons
rude people and low wages
Good all round place to work
Senior Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, Victoria, Australia13 February 2017
Good opportunities for movement throughout the organisation across various disciplines of engineering. Very good work life balance with typical government job security which can be seen as a negative due to unproductive staff and blocking progression for more deserving staff
Professional industry
Traffic Engineer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC2 February 2017
It was where I learned my professional standing. but workplace lacks ingenuity for lack of fun and state of the art and friendly environment. learned new traffic engineering discipline
good place to work
Road Asset Data Officer (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC20 July 2016
good place to work, flexible working time. good working environment lots of learning opportunities, secondment opportunities.
Pros
flexible working time
lots of friends
Vic Roads Licence testing Officer (Former Employee) –  Burwood East VIC18 July 2016
Vic roads taught me and gave me the opportunity of developing the skills and knowledge required to become a highly skilled and confident driving instructor. I have made life long friends both with management and all staff.
Pros
set hours
Cons
low salary
Fast Food
Administration Assistant -BGT Traineeship (Former Employee) –  Ballarat VIC20 April 2016
This was a good workplace to work at, This was my first real job and I learnt a lot in the 4 years I was employed there. The only reason I left was because I wanted to move forward in my position and have more responsibility that was not on offered to me
Great growth and learning
Customer Service / Inbound Enquiries (Former Employee) –  Ballarat VIC15 March 2016
This role is a corporate call center environment.
The growth and learning expectations are high as you need to retain and navigate vast amounts of information to achieve a high level of customer service.
Management is supportive of growth and learning.
You day will revolve around maintaining adherence timed to the second and working towards both team goals and goals for the whole call center.
The work environment is friendly and co workers are helpful.
Pros
Supportive Learning
Cons
Minimal flexibility
great job
Customer Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Wodonga, VIC8 January 2016
I enjoyed the interaction between myself and customers. Every customer presented with a different need. This used my problem solving skills daily. I enjoyed helping people with any problems they had and I loved being able to supply them with a better solution. If my customer left happy - so was I.
Pros
something different every day
Cons
no permanent positions
Responsible for the States roads.
Part time/casual (Former Employee) –  Kew, Victoria4 May 2015
Dedicated workforce responsible for the upkeep of Victoria's roads and bridges. Excellent staff and varied work available.
Supportive environment and opportunities to learn
Trainee Maintenance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Burwood East23 March 2015
VicRoads has been the best employer i have ever worked for. The staff their is very supportive and environment is so friendly. There is always someone there to help you out. There is strong focus on career development.
An excellent company to work fo which I would recommend to others
Design Draftsman (Former Employee) –  Burwood East, VIC10 November 2014
Productive and enjoyable place to work.
Excellent work life balnce
Pros
I was a committee member of an active Social Club
Cons
A good company to work for
Senior Customer Service consultant
Senior Customer Service consultant (Former Employee) –  Melton, ENG27 April 2014
I arrive early, occasionally open the office, open safe, get ready for a busy day ahead.
Banking, dealing with difficult customers,
All aspects of Driving licences,(testing and relicensing) vehicle registrations, Learners permits and all computer testing, ordering of number plates. First aid officer.
3. & 4
I work well with all staff at a high level or lesser experienced staff (I can train if required)
Overseas drivers going for their driver licence test in their own vehicle, who have not had training in Australia, Our life is in their hands, as we only have handbrake to help us.
When students have done all their work to pass their licence and we feel confident that they will be safe. When I register a vehicle for someone and they are so appreciative of the process, and leave happy that is most enjoyable.
Pros
Job satisfaction
Cons
Irate people that wont listen when trying to assist them
Productive/Customer Service based/Greeting Multi Cultural people/Large volume of staf and customers/ variety of tasks
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Burwood, VIC22 April 2014
There is not one typical day at hand as tasks vairy due to the large number of customers or lack of. Communication showing an ability to liaise effectively with internal and external stakeholders and customers with appropriate procedures and policies were at a standard. Triage, counter service, Licence/learner permit testing computerized supervision, answering telephone calls, cashering were part of a day to day change.
An ability to work individually and in a team environment was at hand.
Learning skills were constant and various computer skills programmed for Vic Roads were implemented.
Rotation with work colleagues was enjoyable and very supportive
Management was very directed by diplomacy and discretion with personal and sensitive issues.
The most rewarding part of my experience during my time within Vic Roads was being a Licence Tester and helping customers receive their licence. Being positive and helpful was rewarding especially under some challenging circumstances.
I am articulate with a proven ability to provide the necessary customer service and care required to ensure overall client satisfaction.
Pros
Fund raising, casual day once a month with free dress, footy tipping and a social club that was very enjoyable.
Cons
Procedures and reviews were changing too frequently to keep up to date.
Huge diversity in services to the Victorian Public
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, VIC6 April 2014
VicRoads tends to be "engineering centric" from a Management perspective. Management tend not to recognise or reward the importance and significance of the Registration and Licencing Customer Services area. Having said that, I had many opportunities to experience a significant number of areas within the organisation, such as Major Projects, Regions, Customer Services, HR, Finance. Over many years I have managed to develop a huge amount of skills and knowledge and a number of different locations throughout Melbourne. If I had wanted to there was also opportunity to work in the Rural area.

Unfortunately VicRoads underwent a significant restructure in 2013, resulting in a reduction in the number of Business support positions, which impacted significantly on what was previously a fantastic culture in the organisation.

If you like constant change and a dynamic environment, it is (or was) a great place to work.
Pros
Free parking if you get in before 8am
Cons
Kew
Friendly staff with lots of training provided.
Consultant Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Geelong7 January 2014
A typical day for me is to visit a Secondary College in the Geelong region and meet with the school staff. Then I would prepare to deliver "Keys Please" which could include setting up chairs, asking students to participate in an activity, getting handouts ready and making sure my laptop is connected to the data projector and the presentation is ready to go! Then I commence the presentation and answer students' questions along the way. I have learned that students can ask anything, the most obvious to the least expected questions and that they can be very quick to pick up new information. I have also learned that there is a wealth of knowledge among VicRoads staff and that they are only too happy to answer my questions. I have learned alot from my friendly co-workers. The hardest part of the job is managing challenging behaviours at the schools; the most enjoyable part is meeting new people and learning something everytime I visit a school.
Pros
Good understanding of licensing in Victoria.
Cons
Challenging behaviours displayed by students.
Productive and Fun workplace, with wonderful people
Trainee Customer (Former Employee) –  Wendouree, VIC30 December 2013
I loved working with VicRoads, however there was not enough personal contact with customers and I felt like we were rushing customers due to the large influx of calls.
Pros
Wonderful people, Challenging enquiries
Cons
Not personal enough with Customers
Government Organisation equivilant to the Highways Agency
Property Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne Australia31 July 2013
Hard working but social environment where brainstorming and team work was high encouraged.
The main focus of the role was to acquire land for new roads through the process of compulsory acquisition and make offers of compensation for the land based on its value.
The role developed high level of negotiation skills and being able to communicate with people of all ages and abilities.
There was a large variety in the role which enable me to be part of the whole process and resolving difficult cases gave me high sense of achievement.
greta job
Foreman and inspector (Former Employee) –  Nunawading, VIC27 June 2013
building roads, reworking black spots, flood work,worked all over eastern vic,worked on some major intersection up grades sprinvale rd,princes hwy
Pros
great work
Cons
they laided of 800 people
Licence and Registration
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, VIC30 August 2012
Registration of cars, trucks and boats, working to solve cusomter problems. Licencing people from other states, etc. Workers were good, management wasnt too bad.
Pros
good money and people to work with
Cons
sitting in front of a computer
Incident Responce Officer
Incident Responce Officer (Current Employee) –  port melbourne and Kew23 June 2012
In this job i patrol freeways and arterials in melbourne checking roads for damage bridges for structure damage, debries and attending road accidents controling incidents working with emergency services while providing traffic control.
I also work in the control room at vic roads Kew working with media checking over 900 cameras through out victoria checking for accidents traffic conjestion organising freeway patrols and arterials recording all incidents in RAI which media and IMT people read.I make reports contact the emergency services at incidents organise tows or maintance crews for road repairs and control all 13 patrol units on a two way radio and on phone and send them to incidents they also have cameras on there vans and cars which i can view and report on
Pros
helping people and keeping traffic moving in melbourne
Cons
long hours as it, s my second job