Victoria Police Employee Reviews

Challenging one day exciting the next.
Senior Constable (Former Employee) –  Footscray VIC12 June 2017
Victoria Police is a large organization with a variety of roles within. Being such a large varied workplace it is hard to give an accurate description as some stations and areas are great and others not so great.
Pros
Nine weeks annual leave, opportunity to vary work type and good superannuation.
Cons
Long hours, can become emotionally draining, can be dangerous.
Challenging and rewarding
Police Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne Eastern Suburbs VIC10 May 2017
I held a number of different roles within Victoria Police. My police career spanned 20 years. These roles included Southe Estern Region Emergency management co-ordinator, Crime task force leader, Investigations as a qualified detective.
Efficient, excellent management, good training
Contract programmer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC10 April 2017
An excellent place to work. Because of a strong team atmosphere, and a willingness to share information, very good for development.
I learnt the basics of tracing through online messages between computer systems.
Transferred my knowledge of modifying OS to modifying CICS.
Never a dull moment
Firearms Division, Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC7 December 2016
Interesting role where there was lots of work .
Lots of variety and a multicultural diverse group with a passion for people.
Pros
great training, great facilities eg gym.
Cons
traineeship was only for a year -
Extremely Hardworking Career
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC6 October 2016
A lot of Administrative related work

The hardest and most non communicative position I have ever had in my entire work career of almost 20 Years.

Working as an individual rather than a Team

Not a lot of commendation more Reactive rather than proactive
Pros
Family Days, Lunches, Xmas Functions
Cons
Extremely long hours - Work Life - Home side not balanced
inspiring and eye opening
Work Experience Student (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC18 July 2016
my week with vic pol was indescribable. I had the best experience. I met so many inspiring people, as well as shown things and finding out things I have never know anything about was really interesting, as well as just being able to see roughly what the culture is like within the station, and what is done on a day to day scale. so many opportunities were offered to me which I will be undertaking next year, and hopefully when I finish school ill be in uniform.
Pros
the people
Cons
sadness
An opportunity to make a positive difference to peoples lives.
Inspector (Current Employee) –  Melbourne21 October 2015
I have had the privilege to contribute to keeping our communities safer by serving in Victoria Police for almost 42 years. I have seen the best and the worst of people. Serving in Victoria Police has provided me with the opportunity to perform duties in a wide range of roles from uniformed operational officer, detective, prosecutor and commissioned officer. For Victoria Police as a large organisation to continue to progressively become more professional we need to have a police force that encourages and embraces a diversity of views and ideas and innovation.
Pros
Opportunities to keep our communities safer and opportunities for professional development.
Cons
Long hours, disruption to family life. Workforce stresses.
Shift work
CUSTOMER SERVICE OFFICER & ACTING TEAM LEADER (Former Employee) –  Victoria Police Academy19 October 2015
Working to a set routine in a 24/7 reception desk assisting staff and students with day to day administrative issues. Providing security of weapons and ammunition, issuing same to police and maintaining police vehicle fleet.
Pros
Governmenbt employment
Cons
Shift work
Enjoyable and interesting work
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, VIC21 July 2015
My day was being involved in entering data for court appearances for people trying to get their driving licenses back. This included speaking to high ranking police, solicitors, and court personnel on a daily basis.

I learned to adjust the points of data entry by eliminating 10 unnecessary steps that still came out with the needed result.

The hardest part of the job was making sure that the papers arrived in time for the court case. Also having to deal with people at the front counter wanting a police report of accidents in which their loved ones died. There was no training for this.

The enjoyable part of the job was interaction with people of all ranks and the amenities for staff was excellent..
Pros
Great Canteen
Cons
Politics
Excellent workplace wityh hard working personnell
Senior Sergeant - Middle Management (Current Employee) –  Various, last at Sunshine Police Complex16 July 2015
A typical day includes management of personal, management of prisoners.
Management of cell area.
All paperwork and files checked and forwarded to appropriate areas
management of premises, including all maintenance, scheduled and otherwise.
Formulation and management of operations
preparation of management reports
Complaint file investigation
OH&S Responsibilities
Pros
Nil
Cons
Great team, challenging work, good support
Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, Australia29 May 2014
Worked alongside a great team who were very supportive. The work was challenging and enabled me to develop my skills.
see below
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Broadmeadows, VIC30 April 2014
It is a dangerous and arduous occupation. Whilst salary and job security rate high a good organisation is ruined by it's management.
Pros
9 weeks leave a year
Cons
difficult on family/social life
Hard place to work
Victoria Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Various places in Victoria20 January 2014
Met many types of people.
Had some hard times
Worked at West Gate Bridge within hours of its collapse
Attended many demonstations in Melbourne over the years
Seemed to see the worst of most people
Pros
Great team members to work with
Cons
Bosses gave little support
Victoria Police is an ever changing entity
Victoria Policeman (Former Employee) –  VIC5 January 2014
I joined Victoria Police as a sixteen year old and progressed through the ranks. Through the 42 years I was a member of the Victoria Police the job changed and many of the managers and members failed to change with it.

I enjoyed my time with Victoria Police very much and feel that my achievements within reflect my commitment to the community and to the Victoria Police.
Community interaction
Protective Services Officer (Current Employee) –  Footscray, VIC20 December 2013
A great variety of different team members to work with.
The most enjoyable part would be the interaction with different people on a daily basis.
The hardest part would be the lack of work to do, unfortunately as I like to be constantly active and kept busy this job fell short in that department.
Community and member focused
Executive Assistant  (Former Employee) –  Melbourne14 June 2013
Member focused to ensure the operational members were equipped with the necessary IT tools and knowledge to assist them in their community focused work.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Opprtuinty to expand my knowledge and skills.
Intelligence Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Narre Warren and Pakenham, Vic29 May 2013
Working at Victoria Police I have been given the opportunity to enhance my skills, especially my computer skills. I find the work interesting and challenging, however, there is little chance of advancement. In my current position I have increased my knowledge of Excel and electronically uploading information onto a computer.
Pros
Interesting and challenging work
Cons
Budget restraints leading to limited working hours.
The job was highly stressfull however satisfying. Gave me a good opportunity to interact with a lot of different people.
human resource officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC24 November 2012
Meet deadlines. Get along with coworkers . The job was varied and interesting however it was enjoyable. I enjoyed interacting with clients both external and internal.
Pros
flexible working hours
Cons
high stress