YMCA Employee Reviews

Basket case
Operations manager -Hunter region (Former Employee) –  Hunter Valley NSW21 November 2017
The company no longer lives by its values. The CEO and board members have destroyed the company from the top down. Very poor remuneration for high expectations and a use and abuse culture.
Pros
Helping the community
Cons
Long hours poor pay
Rewarding
RECREATION REGIONAL MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Parramatta NSW24 August 2017
An organisation doing incredible work in the community. A career where you will see the impact of your hard work and dedication. Great operational staff culture.
Pretty good work
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Portland VIC13 August 2017
It's decent pay if you're a casual like i was, unfourtunantly i wasn't given enough time during the week to show my full potential as i was only rostered on once a fortnight. Lovely ladies to work with in the OSHC sector.
Project Officer, Ikon Park Redevelopment (Former Employee) –  Melbourne11 August 2017
It was a great place to work and I deeply resent being forced to do this review. It should be optional, if you want to find out about YMCA< go work there .
Great
Set Up (Current Employee) –  Berwick VIC27 July 2017
Never had an issue with YMCA. Simple and great management and environment. I would gladly work for YMCA again just as long as I can find more working hours in towards the city (Melbourne).
Pros
Easy
Cons
Not enough hours
Great place
Disability Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Logan City QLD9 July 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed working here. It was one-on-one with my client, and my duties were to entertain him, mostly, shower, toilet and feed him, and put him to bed. I also helped with miscellaneous duties around the house, and sometimes went on daytrips with the family. Would recommend; very caring environment.
Pros
Best people to work with and enjoy a laugh
Cons
The job would occassionally get to me
Fun and Enjoyable workplace
Child Care Educator (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD26 June 2017
I enjoy working at the YMCA as a part time job while complete my studies. I enjoyed creating a fun and safe place for children to grow and learn. I have worked on my time management skills and responsibility for looking after large amounts of children.
Lots of contract and volunteer workers
ICT Project Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Perth WA7 June 2017
There were a lot of contract and volunteer workers for the YMCA WA when I worked for them on a project. They were in the process of improving how they engage with contract an volunteer workers to make them feel more of an employee. Not much in the way of advancement for employees though.
Rewarding
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Endeavour Hills VIC23 April 2017
Great place to show people health benefits
Learnt to help people achieve their fitness goals.
Friendly atmosphere
Enjoyable part was to talk to people.
Pros
Motivating atmosphere
wonderful place to work
Volunteer Instructor (Former Employee) –  Yarramundi NSW13 April 2017
wonderful place to work, you learn lots of new and amazing skills, you work with a lot of amazing people, the manager is an amazing person to work for
good.
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Perth WA5 April 2017
it was a very good place to do work experience i learnt quite a lot to be honest i got to work with the little kids and that was a really fun experience because i love kids a lot.
Pros
always got free lung
Cons
had long hours but never longer then 6-7 hours but i loved it.
productive and fun working place.
Food and Beverage Manager (Former Employee) –  Brisbane Central Business District QLD5 March 2017
A topical restaurant manager role in a busy little restaurant. some little function as well. I enjoyed myself at George Williams Hotel.
Early start and average finishing time about 4pm.
Good staff meals.
Good atmosphere to work in.
Pros
Car park for manager
Cons
small car park
Patrons make your day
Senior Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Kew VIC22 February 2017
Even a short shift for eg: 3 hours can seem longer. Management was confusing and communication was not good. The different sectors ie: gym, frontline, management etc were seperated communication wise.Communication and lack of recognition, good or bad was never in place. The patrons and fellow life guards were the most enjoyable part of the job and taking care of patrons needs and the team environment between life guards only.
Pros
Patrons and job satisfaction
Cons
The heated pool environment and the emotional toll from management
Enjoyable Environment to work
Childcare Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalgoorlie WA2 February 2017
A happy fun enjoyable work environment and getting to do activities of all kinds with the children and seeing them all happy 😊
Pros
Caring for the Children 😁
Cons
Toilet duties 🙁
Productive and people-oriented workplace
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Philippines21 January 2017
In the YMCA, we normally travel and look for communities who needs our help in development. After working with the communities, we write proposals to partner organizations. Once a project is approved, I design the structure of the project and budget. My time is mostly spent on the field and I stay in the project location until completion, to ensure that risk and failure is kept at minimum.
The most difficult part is communication, since the project location are mostly islands, it is hard to keep connected and transport is also a problem.
The YMCA taught me that sharing is the most important thing that we can do. To share is not about money or things, it is about sharing your time to people who is in need. Poor people are happier when you share your time talking to them. I enjoy the company of my colleague, we never talk about our salary or money related problems, but we always support each when time comes.
Pros
Friendly work environment and fun-loving colleague
Cons
Low salary and long working hours.
Ok
Childcare worker (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC3 January 2017
Bad Director. Bullying and liar. Races and sneaky. Pushy and needy. Part from that, staffs are nice and parents are nice too. Good resources and nice environment
Productive fun workplace
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Cranbourne VIC3 December 2016
I learned of many responsibilities at just how important it is to maintain the safety of both inside and outside swimming areas.
However, the staff and co-workers are kind and hard workers.
It was an experience worth having to learn.
Pros
Free ice cream was given on hot days
Cons
Can be boring
Fun workplace
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW23 November 2016
People are happy to work here.
Fun environment, friendly management make it easier and enjoyable to work here. The only pons might be the payment rates which are comperatable low but not too bad.
Pros
Easy going work culture
Cons
Comparable low hourly rates
Howmans Gap Alpine centre
Kitchen Hand/Cook (Former Employee) –  Falls Creek VIC9 November 2016
A typical day in the winter period would consist of helping cook and serve breakfast for those staying at Howmans gap, wash dishes and then make sandwiches for the following days lunch. During the day I was able to ski unless it was a change over day. At night I would either be on dish duty or help cook and serve dinner.
Pros
free food
Cons
sometimes long hours without breaks
good
Gymnastics coach (Former Employee) –  victoria pioint17 October 2016
the YMCA was a great job loved the coaching role it really made me open to eyes to a new way of learning. it pushed me out of my comfort zone, which helped me develop and grow as a person.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.