99 Bikes
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

99 Bikes Employee Reviews

Australia12 reviews
Loads of oppurtunity to move up in the ranks. High pace culture and very competitive but this made it fun at the same time. Good culture and a rewards night every month.
Put in hard work and you get rewarded. It takes a lot of effort but the more you put in the more you get back and the managers from the top down respect everyone on every level.
really good experience still very helpful, i learnt a lot there about my hobbies and skills for future jobs. only thing was as i was very young to work so pay was very bad and only had 4 hours a week.
Pros
lots of bikes to ride able to use the workshop for my own use
Cons
not enough hours and very low pay
I have worked in a number of retail establishments in my time. Typically, management is uncontactable or beyond reproach. 99 Bikes has the attitude that if you can see a better way of doing things. just implement it and tell us all about it. Commission structure promotes ongoing growth, with consistent high achievement rewarded with bumps to commission %.

Pay is award rates, including penalty rates - a rarity in retail these days - with commission on top.

Weekend work is a must - which is difficult for some, but if you can spare your weekends the rewards are significant!
A company set up to keep it´s staff members in the game by making them compete against each other.

A company that promotes playing fair, but sacrificing your time whilst they need you to take less comission home.

A company that has been caught underpaying staff their base rate, and penalises you if your comission does not add up at least to minimum wage.

Do not expect serious management from here, do not expect consideration about your oppurtunity to earn your comission, and just don´t expect them to take you seriously. With a typical turn over rate of 3 months per staff member...it makes a clear picture of the true, and honest vibes at 99.

If you look for staff reviews, expect a high spike in positive staff reviews from earlier this year. This is after a mass email requesting managers to leave positive reviews about their own company, whilst they are still working there, due to a large collection of poor staff reviews.

A rodeo, cowboy company which takes what they can get from customers and staff combined. With the constant reinforcement and incentive to earn comission (and why you´re the only problem for not earning more), expect low quality work from everybody just looking at their pay slips. Expect a few of your own customers to fall off their bikes on test rides due to poor quality control on their bike builds, and expect your work peers to avoid doing anything that doesn´t pay.

50/50 chance you actually get a manager with their head screwed on enough to run each store in an even and non volatile way.

I can provide many, many examples to prove this
 - more...
Pros
Creates connections for non-professional friends.
Cons
Money is valued more than quality.
99 Bikes has a great company culture, the team are incredibly welcoming and there is a strong work/life balance.

I have worked at several retail companies and big brands, and 99 Bikes by far has the best culture I have seen.

Expectations are clearly stated and regularly reviewed with your team leader which means I know exactly what is expected of me. Performance is fairly rewarded and there is a flat structure and no "stuffiness".

I thoroughly enjoy coming to work at 99 Bikes :)
Great sales process.
Hard work required.

New pay structure that is better.

Talking to people about bikes.

Good discounts for staff.

Good colleagues..
I've worked at 99 for many years and loved it. I've had so many opportunities that never would have existed at other companies. The company has grown so fast over recent years and I've always been impressed by the accuracy of future goals in the company, which are always shared openly. There's a very flat reporting structure in the company so it's easy to raise any ideas you have. I worked in shops for years and benefited so much from it; learning about our customers and helping improve shop systems. 99 Bikes has a very strong culture of working hard and celebrating rewards.
Pros
Small team with big influence
Cons
Only operates in Australia
This job centres around working weekends with no penalty rates, working hours longer than contracted and having to work towards unrealistic sales targets just to get minimum wage.
Pros
Nothing. All benefits can be had at any other bike shop
Cons
Long hours, staff turnover, illegal pay structure
Overall a company with a great working culture but extremely poor pay and advancement prospects. The only people i can recommend this job to are those who are looking for an easy start in the bike industry. Expectations are extremely high and pay will always lag behind what you could earn elsewhere. Although the bike industry is known for long hours, low pay and poor career prospects 99bikes takes this to the extreme.
Pros
Monthly function nights, staff discount, an easy entry into the bike industry
Cons
Stressful sales culture and poor pay structure, inexperienced management, poor career prospects
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at 99 Bikes?
Overall this is a company with shortsighted management, cut-throat sales culture and poor career prospects.

As a sales consultant, sales performance is measured on a daily basis. Sales results are measured by the amount of profit that is earned on products that staff sell. Commission is then paid based on these results. The costs for each shop are divided by the number of staff at the store and this is then set as a minimum target that staff must reach or risk dismissal.

This gives goals to work towards but often external factors come into play and are not appreciated by management. For example a rainy couple of weeks will lead to poor sales which will lead to staff being criticised for poor performance. In addition if a shop is genuinely unprofitable this will be attributed to poor performance of staff rather than a shop that struggles due to location, catchment, competition etc.

Things like having weekends off or being sick will lead to being targeted by management. Head office will shift blame towards front line staff wherever they can. For example head office decides promotions and sales which often impact front line staff commission and sales results. However if a promotion is poorly designed then blame will be laid on staff inability to sell rather than the promotion itself.

While head office is unsupportive of staff, they expect staff to go above and beyond for the company. Things like transferring bikes between stores on unpaid days off, coming in without pay on days off are encouraged and commonplace. Staff are not paid to open or close the shop which will
 - more...
Pros
Monthly reward nights
Cons
Cut-throat culture, no pay outside store opening hours
Good place to work, good people, good products, and great rewards. I have been in the bicycle industry for many years. so i haven't learned to much from the trade side. However i have learned that as a mechanic you shouldn't work for these guys.