A Dog's Day Out

21: A Dog's Day Out Employee Reviews

3.2Work–Life Balance

Terrible managers

Loved working with the dogs and the owners were ok. However, the managers I had were less than desirable. They are rude, insensitive, & condescending.

Fine for part time only

This job is not just petting puppies all day, best way to describe it 'Janitor for dogs.' The pay is way too low for someone looking for full time employment. The job itself isn't very difficult to do. People don't stick around very often, so other's end up having to pick up the slack and work more/longer days.

Pros

some dogs are nice

Cons

no benefits, overbearing owner, low pay

Fast-paced but also fun.

It’s been a hectic but enjoyable five years with ADDO. Every job has its pros and cons and for me, and the pros definitely outweigh the cons. I work behind the scenes to help make the company drive forward in these challenging times. Hope to be with the company for another five years.

Pros

You work with dogs and they can be so cute!

Cons

Long days.

not worth the stress, pay, or shadiness

They’ll make u work 13 days in a row and don’t give any time off. They get annoyed if u ask for time off. DONT WORK THERE! not worth it! shady place!!

Pros

dogs, can sit down

Cons

short breaks, no time off, allow aggressive dogs that will bite you & they won’t care, lie to customers about what happened to their dog, shady owners, pay isn’t worth the amount of work, negative workplace- up front staff talks behind everyone’s back & owners enable it, give special treatment to certain workers, no phones allowed.

AMAZING manager, puppies, not flexible hours

I worked here in the summer before my senior year of high school. It was my first job, and honestly, I loved it. I made $10/hr which was fantastic as a high school student. There was a lot of work at the beginning and end of the day, and during meal times, but the rest was just hanging out with dogs. The staff at my location were fantastic, and our manager was amazing. She was super understanding and would work with you on any concerns. I had to leave because I could not make the hours work around high school. I'm sure it would be much easier for a college student, but my classes were too rigid for that. I'm considering returning in the summer before college, if they need me.I did not mind standing all day, but that's definitely part of the job. They are roughly 6 hour shifts, and you're generally up and around for most of them. I thought it was fine, but be aware.There is really no room for advancement, as they already have a small staff anyways. I forgot to mention!! I actually broke my toe right before I was supposed to start work. The manager was super understanding and wanted to make sure I had doctors approval to work. I got steel-toed shoes and worked with the smaller dogs, and I was perfectly fine. So, my manager was also very considerate and accommodating with that.

Pros

Manager, coworkers, cute dogs, decent pay for a hs student, accommodating where they can

Cons

Limited flexibility, standing, and it does smell a lot like dogs

Dogs are fun, but the management isn't great

Most of the dogs are well behaved and fun to supervise. The employees are nice and hardworking. The manager can be verbally abusive to both the employees and dogs. The place is also not very sanitary.

Pros

Free lunches, decent hours

Cons

Verbally abusive manager, not very sanitary

Bullying

You will be bullied and ridiculed here. I worked here for nearly a year and was repeatedly threatened about losing my job, bullied, called names straight to my face by management when I made a mistake. You are replaceable. If you're not a part of their "clique" you will be made fun of, talked about, laughed at, straight up bullied. I loved my dogs, but the people here are a joke.

Pros

dogs

Cons

culture, management, bullying

Fun if you enjoy animals

Overall A Dogs Day out was fun to work for, shifts are easy, pay is decent for the kind of work. The major downsode is the noise as it tends to echo in the facility and there is geneally not much you can do about it.

Pros

Free lunches on Fri/Sat

Cons

The noise

Owner sucks

Owner favors men and is quick to fire someone over little things. Very unfair. Pay sucks. It’s too low. Don’t always get enough hours. There’s no messing up or you’re fired

bad working conditions

Owner is mean to people and dogs. big turnover in people working there because the owner yells at everyone. not allowed to clean with disinfectant so it stinks everywhere. dogs are kept in small cages and owners are lied to about how they are kept. some are "walks only" but dog owners don't know that. owner changes things from one day to the next and you never know what is really going on. no chance to improve, not trained for job but expected to know it all.

Management is awful

The work environment there was catty and uninclusive. The managers were rude and childish and the environment was dirty. I had an awful experience working here. Some of the employees are not kind with the dogs and lazy with the customers and cleaning. The only positive thing was working with the dogs.

Unprofessional and toxicity in the workplace

Management is unprofessional & created a toxicity environment for employees. My most recent manager was hypocritical & refused to do any “dirty” job. She often tried to use her power to get anyone she didn’t like personally fired. Often employees were talked poorly about behind their backs by her. Employees would often have to come in early so she could leave to get her nails, hair or whatever was on her agenda that day. Some employees would have to work 6-8 days straight in order for her to go on her multiple two to one month vacations. I once requested off for my first “vacation” after being over worked for months and was told “You’re luck I even approved that cause now I’m stuck working a Saturday”. When someone continuously threw up at work or even remotely feeling bad she never offered to stay but if she ever felt slightly sick or just simply tired someone (mainly me) would have to come in hours before my shift to relieve her. I’m so relieved I left this toxic and unprofessional environment.

Pros

Working with dogs and pizza on Fridays

Cons

Low pay, management and over-worked employees

Awesome staff, awesome environment to Work in

Ive been working at ADDO for almost a year and a half! And its always been a new experience everyday. We’re all like a family and the dogs are our top priority every single day. Not only do I care and interact with the dogs all the time but I developed great relationships with the customers as well! It’s such a positive environment to be in and I couldn’t ask for a better job. The manager is sweet. The staff is amazing with the dogs and trains new employees well! its quick-pace most days and overall a great experience if you love dogs.

Pros

Friendly staff, quick-pace, great manager

Good Place to Work

A Dogs Day Out is a great place to work. There is a balance of working with animals as well as working and meeting different people. This job has allowed me to develop better people skill, improve my ability to work with different people and get an idea of how small businesses operate. A Dogs Day Out offers a family like culture and allows for a good balance or people and animal interactions.

Pros

Great staff

Productive, fast-paced workplace that required complete focus and attentiveness

A typical day at ADDO started either at 6:30AM or 2PM. Employees had to make sure that the work area was prepared for the day by washing dishes, making sure the boarding dogs were fed and had time to do their business in the morning, and the specified rooms were clean and well-stocked. During PM shifts, we would have to close down the room, which included sweeping and mopping the floor, wiping down the play equipment, making sure the water bowls were clean and full, and all dogs were put to bed before closing. My experience at ADDO was amazing, I learned a lot about taking care of dogs and noticing certain behaviors. While the workplace was generally fast-paced, there were days where it was more relaxed, which was nice. The people I worked with were wonderful as well, and I am glad that I got to meet them. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to interact with the dogs, seeing them happy and playing. The hardest part was the stress at times; sometimes I had a room of 20+ dogs and it did get a bit hectic, especially if I was in the large room. However, the job was overall fairly rewarding, and I got a lot of experience that I am grateful for.

Pros

Paid breaks, Food available

Cons

No benefits

Poorly Managed

Owners wanted maximum monetary gain for minimum input. I worked on every station possible, often having to neglect my main duties to keep the business ticking while the bosses sat in their office avoiding getting involved, or weren’t even on site. Minimum wage was given for what was esssntially a management role! Bosses would avoid having to deal with any complaints and often left before customers with injured dogs came to collect them. No pay rises, with increasing responsibility. Absolutely shocking management of a business.

Pros

Great staff, lovely customers

Cons

Everything else

I loved working here. The staff is amazing and very patient. You learn a lot about dog behavior and how to approach different types of dogs. They also work around your school schedule if you're in college.

Pros

Pizza on Fridays, great opportunity to learn animal behavior, flexible schedule for college students

Cons

low hourly wage

Fun environment

the dogs are lovely. this was my favorite job because of the animals but it was hard to get to & i couldn’t call out in emergencies which made it difficult for me to cope with.

was given no warning before fired, specific reasons for being fired after asking were not shared. i liked it, but it is slow paced when all the dogs are asleep. Cannot use phones in the room, and people can be quick to snap. Lots of cursing

Not the most sanitary place to work

Did not like the owner, he was in it for the money not the animals

Great for dogs lovers looking to advance themselves into daycare organizations

A typical day at work includes greeting and meeting clients. You usually start the day off by feeding the dogs that boarded over night. After breakfast we get together dicuss any major issues and concerns. Throughout the day the dogs who are either there for daycare or boarding are playing out in the playground. We have to monitor their play activity, clean up after them, clean the rooms, feed, and conduct evaluations for new dogs that come in. It is a very simple job for people who not afriad dogs and do not mind getting a little dirty.I have learned to gain confidence and be a great team leader throughout my years of working with the company. I know how to step up to the plate and do what is asked of me and to also go above and beyond.Management is pretty great. They are family orienated and are more then willing to help you out with any problem you have.My co-workers are a working progress. We have our ups and downs and it is easy to spot the wink link. I am not easy on new people, it is important that the new staff I am bringing into the company can handle the work. But the ones who survive are awesome and fun to be around. We are a small company so it is easy to learn about one another pretty fast and we all become close throughout.The hardest part of the job is having to espell dogs. Not everyone can be a dog daycare attendant. Sometimes dogs start out well but something in them snaps and they keep causing problems for both staff and the other dogs. You easily can get attached to them as they were your own children. So having to tell their owners their dog can -

Pros

meeting new people and making friends. you learn how to be a good adminstrative officer.

Cons

short breaks. low income. no benefits.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at A Dog's Day Out. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• A Dog's Day Out
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?