A Wider Circle
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

18: A Wider Circle Employee Reviews

3.9Work–Life Balance

A good company to work for.

Our customers are treated with respect and dignity and given first class service. I highly recommend to anyone who wants to feel good about serving others, work there.

Flexible and pleasant

Very nice culture, good team work! Costumer loves to receive a Happy Birthday phone call and a reminder of their Annual Wellness Visit to stay healthy

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Part time

Great mission. Not a great work/life balance

I really liked a Wider Circle's mission but I struggled with the work/life balance and management. I often felt there were improvements to be made and management was unwilling to empower any employees who wanted to make changes.

Pros

great mission. incredible coworkers

Cons

poor management and work/life balance

Decent experience

Work experience isn't bad its good for someone who is starting. Gives skills that can be used in retail. I would recommend as a starter spot to start you working career

Great work enviornment

Loved it! It was a really good time especially when working with friends or family!

Community of People Who Truly Care

A Wider Circle is made up of some of the most compassionate people you can find. AWC staff understand how many go with so little and they stand in solidarity with them.

Not What You Would Expect

An up close and personal look at what it's like to create a place for middle/upper-income folks to do "feel good" charity to lower-income people without having any actual impact. No sensible strategic planning or adequate management of funding which usually leads to taking on more than the organization can chew (in terms of promises to help the poor). Yet the claims are that merely working there is being a part of a "movement" to end poverty. If you don't give up personal time to be at their beck and call, you are made to feel as if you don't care enough about "the movement" or your job. Staff meetings consist solely of management preaching at staff, and work policies and environment are extremely inflexible, unreasonable, and outdated (for the first time ever, staff got Christmas Day and Thanksgiving off in 2018!). Benefits are not great and salary is not competitive, but we're supposed to be sacrificing and dedicated to the cause, so who cares. A lot of the upper management staff have no expertise in their fields because passion to do good and favoritism counts more than knowledge and expertise. On the upside, there are many young, friendly, fresh out of school, do-gooders on staff with good intentions and willingness to go above and beyond, but it's hard not to get burned out after a few months there. For most , it seems that once people know better, they leave and do better. Also, it is nice when you feel/see the genuine gratitude from clients when they receive something useful that they really needed just because you're doing your job.

Pros

Genuine gratitude from clients

Cons

Cult like workplace culture, inflexibility of management, poor working conditions in terms of physical space, the condescending "poverty tours" in Ward 8

A critical movement in motion

A Wider Circle is a wonderful place to work. The mission of eradicating poverty is beyond admirable; it is crucial to the wellbeing of American society.

Excellent Company with a Great Mission and Staff

Working for A Wider Circle was one of my favorite jobs during college. The work was difficult, but rewarding and got me in terrific shape. The staff is fantastic and I would recommend the company to anyone.

fun place

I was a volunteer, and I loved working there, but it was too far from my home without a car. I worked with and for some great people, that will let me work without pressure, and I trained others as well.

Pros

great people

Cons

too far from home without a car

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at A Wider Circle?

It is a good place to work

I was an intern during my time at A Wider Circle. I was a great place to intern because the availability of everybody that i came across. It is a busy place because of the high of the clients. I have learned a lot in less than 3 months. In addition,there was a diversity during my internship such as people of all race, age, and status.

Not what it seems

The organization is committed to the mission to end poverty, but are blissfully unaware of the biases they hold. Unrealistic expectations of their employees.

very friendly place to volunteer

they were a really welcoming team and i enjoyed volunteering with them. They supervisors did really good at helping out when and needed help and everyone there was very into their work

Fun workplace

I like that place because it is fun! The hardest part is lifting heavy things. Staff are my co-workers. I enjoy helping others. I learned that I am strong. The days at work are Saturdays and Sundays.

Refinish and put back into service furniture and appliances

Access work that needs to be done. Assign work to volunteers as needed. Repair and make functional miscellaneous furniture and appliances.

Pros

Can make my on schedule since I volunteer.

Cons

Lack of internal organiztion.

I am still volunteering at A Wider Circle

I help others with furniture! I like going there because I get to pass the morning every Saturday!

A Great Place To Work

While working at A Wider Circle I helped retrieve the furniture from those who were donating while assisting families who needed furniture for a new home. It was a great feeling to see how happy the families were when receiving the furniture. Every day was a learning experience for me. I learned about the hard truths about those who have nothing and it hurts to think that poverty is still around. Helping those in need gave me a better understanding of different lifestyles. The hardest part might have to be the lifting. Some days were a cake walk while others were not. I can't complain it was a great job.

Pros

Great Working Environment, Great People, Overall Good Feeling at the end of the day

Cons

Excellent job to teach you how to work under pressure

Somewhat disorganized but a very good overall experience. Taught me to work well under pressure and to give accurate information. It is not always best to give the client false information just to calm them down.Received a great deal of helpful training

Ask a question about working or interviewing at A Wider Circle. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• A Wider Circle
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?