A123 Systems
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

A123 Systems Employee Reviews

3.3Work–Life Balance

Co-op Experience

I think it was pretty okay overall, but I worked there as a co-op. The pay was pretty good, and knowing I was only there for 6 months helped keep things interesting.

Productive and fun workplace. I wish I was still working there

Productive and fun workplace. I wish I was still working there . I got laid off because company wanted to minimize the Waltham branch.People I’ve worked with was very friendly

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Health care

Overall, my experience at A123 Systems was very good.

Great group of people to work with. As an Advanced Quality Engineer, I interfaced with virtually all departments. What my coworkers didn't understand about "Quality", they were willing to learn.The unfortunate thing about the company was that it was it's product was too early in the USA market to take hold; European and China operations were flourishing in the end.

Pros

Great group of people to work with. A123 had a talent for picking the right people for the positions

Cons

Again, we were too early and too small to take hold of the USA market for our products.

Laid off due to cutbacks due to moving everything to China

I was working happily for 10 years then China did cutbacks and I was laid off summer of 2020. Compensation was excellent. Benefits were poor. 401K match was just ok.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Cutbacks due to moving everything to China.

No support for staff poor company ethics

The reason that A123 has difficulty obtaining contracts with US OEMs is their lack of integrity. They are constantly late in payments, have manufacturing quality issues and fail to live up to commitments. Within the company there is a toxic work environment. This is place for careers to die.

Pros

Cons

Poor management, poor supplier relations, and inability to meet commitments

one of the worst place to work to get demotivated

Poor management . process made the company to sink . No value for the people's life . In covid also insist everybody to come to office without following covid guidelines . Process will get changed everyday as per their wish . No value to the employee idea's.

Pros

no pros

Great co-workers but horrible communication by exec managment

Great co-workers but horrible communication by exec managment. Significant downsizing since mid-2020, increasing transfer of work to parent company in China and financial issues paying suppliers for last year makes me feel the doors will close soon with little to no info from management. Resignations weekly and no backfills so remaining employees have to absorb the workload

Pros

Compensation and benefits

Cons

Insufficiently staffed, poor communication, parent company just concerned about $$$

Downsizing in US

Unfortunately, A123 has downsized drastically in the US and will probably continue to keep downsizing. This eventually led to my being asked to leave the company.

Pros

Benefits and Salary

Cons

Work/life balance

There is no Job security

Management is worst. They are highly paid so they dont care about the downstream employees. Compensation and unlimited paid time off is good. There is work life balance

Not recommended

Most of employees are laid off from 2020. I don't see any vision of this company since chian company took it over. Most of talented people left and leaving.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at A123 Systems?

A123 Systems

The company had its share of ups and downs, but the colleagues I worked with were exceptional to work along side solving problems. The Chinese takeover of the company was a hands off purchase and the emphasis was on moving everything to Chinese operations with no interest in continuing or supporting operations in the USA. The compensation was top drawer but the benefits were a revolving door with the company changing benefits routinely.

Pros

Great Compensation

Cons

Little investment in USA manufacturing and Gradual reduction of staff in the USA

Was a good company

Terrible Chinese company with no sense of direction. Had bankruptcy in the past and is in a current downward spiral. You are just a number and you will be laid off without warning. Company and owner lack integrity and honesty when it comes to their employees. Job security, and advancement not dictated by work ethic and attendance. No raises, and lots of uncertainty. Be warned!

Pros

Unlimited PTO

Fun place to work

Job was great. Nice people to work with and learn from and sometimes job can be demanding and stressful in order to meet deadlines. Learned a lot working. Time offs were great but changed and you don't get to carry over unused time.

Pros

Free snacks and breakfast every Friday while lasted for few years and generous vacation time off

Cons

Bad Management and healthcare cost skyrocketed after several years

A great Challenge!

You will learn so much in your career! This company was pivotal for my learning experience in all facets of engineering! As a manager I was able to grow and build a team, more than I'd ever expected, it is a great experience!

Work place discrimination

A group of chinese discriminate non-chinese people. People misused government invested money for alternative energy field. Wasted money in outsourcing some of the works while the people sitting idle.

A Developing Work atmosphere

The company was going through a transition of developing and implementing new processes to help them be successful in the future. I think they were heading in the right direction.

good place

wish it didn’t close down job was really fun easy the people I worked with awesome! no complaints about the place staff was friendly we all worked as a team.

Friendly environment

Enjoy working there. Workload is challenging. Management needs to support more team building and training and Allow employees to enhance their skills at all levels.

Nice place to work

Its was a nice place to work good job nice people to work with had a good time workin there for over 4 years its was sad to see the closing down but it was job

good place to work

Work/life balance is highly depend on the team you are in. Some teams may require extra hours regularly without incentives, while others work nine to five and get promoted sooner.

Productive fun

I wish it would open back up it was fun and productive great plant to grow and learn some plant feel like a family very closed the workers on the line

Pros

Help each other

Cons

Supervisors don't communicate with staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at A123 Systems. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• A123 Systems
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?