AAR Airlift
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

AAR Airlift Employee Reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

Working in a war zone

Worked twelve hours a day, six days a week, contract flying for the Department of State. Lived in a barracks style quarter. Flew many high ranking DOS people.

Pros

Great Job

Cons

Working in a war zone

Their priorities are money and only money.

It's hard to understand what their business model is. On site management was average but corporate upper management pressured their site managers to push the envelope often and resulted in several accidents and worse. Longevity with this company is only possible when your desire for money beats your level of integrity.

Pros

It's a paycheck.

Cons

Corporate ethics and integrity are in dire need of improvement.

Productive learning job

In my 2 years of working at this company I was just a temporary employee. Over time with hard work I was able to advance and becoming a full time AAR employee. My salary was great as was my team that I worked with. We always had celebrations for coworkers, going away parties etc and I met my best friend there. Management was all over the place but they did their best. I loved this company up until I was let go due to budget cuts.

Pros

Free lunches, great learning experience

Cons

Poor overhead management

Training and QC position training foreign nationals

A very top heavy management company that cares little for its people. Terrible ethics and integrity. The company operates on the "buddy system" that borders heavily on nepotism. They cared little about what people felt or how all of the cutbacks affected individuals. Management was all lip service and never stood behind their employee's.

Great Place to work at

Incredible management. No two days were the same. I am the professional I am today due to all my work experiences and wonderful mentors at AAR. Very professional environment.

not good

I worked there for almost two years as a contractor. while trying to go permanent they low balled my pay and when trying to negotiate it they laid everyone off

I enjoyed the job very much.

I am a former employee of AAR AIRLIFT. Left Summer 2012. I would like to come back if possible. It was a special assignment in the 🇦🇫 Afghanistan war. Did logistic support for the S61 cargo and troop helicopters to the different vases/sites from Bagram Air Base.

AAR has been a great place to work and learn more about aviation programs. However, my division will be shut down soon and it is very scary as we (me personally) have had a difficult time finding a job within another division, or in the local community as well.

Very professional team, Productive environment

Truly enjoyed my years at AAR Airlift, great team and working in a WAR zone you knew you were supported in every way. The only drawback was Contracts ending, wish i could have stayed longer, downsizing in Afghanistan was the only reason i left.

Pros

Great managers and teammates

Cons

Contracts end

Great company to work for

Very fast paced work environment with plenty of opportunity to move up in position. Loyalty and hard work are recognized and rewarded. The hardest part of the job was being away from family for 2 months at a time.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Spend most of the year away from family/home

Employee

Upper and middle management is terrible. Leads everyone to beleive the information they put out is true, NOT. NEVER has answers to you concerns and if you have concerns you're labeled a DISGRUNTLE EMPLOYEE. Weekly meeting are there opportunity to blow hot air up your rear end. 40lk match is terrible from pervious company. Lacks promotion potential. Good old boy clubs. Head office is the worst then the manager at your location, they have no answer to your concerns either.

Pros

If you're a horse, they will feed you carrots all day long.

Cons

Management does not lesson, ONLY concerned with keeping their job and getting paid.

false advertising

Interviewed for an Administrative Assistant, ended up a glorified what ever. No training and was used to set another person straight and make them do their job.

Pros

Cons

no training

Once they get organized they should be awesome

AAR got a huge contract this past year and they had a great deal of difficulty with start up. Management didn't work together well but eventually they got into a groove and things started to work out. Some of their managers have very little experience and it shows. They have relatively good benefits and the employees seem to be happy

Pros

Good Benefits

Cons

Hiring Hourly instead of salary so they can fire you at any time.

Volatile atmosphere

A typical day at work was generally stressful, but we often countered the stress by making each other laugh. I learned how to operate the software programs WinAir and TRAX. Sometimes individuals who are difficult to work with and can bring morale down. That was our experience with the lead in my department. A very overbearing micro-manager who was a poor listener, talked down to her crew and was frivolous. Working in close quarters with a tyrant in our department made for a sour atmosphere. However, I have no complaints about our department manager. She was normal. Overall, the company was ok, but we always felt volatile due to unexpected lay offs. The hardest part of the job was working under our lead. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with my co-workers.

Pros

Great benefits package.

Cons

Prone to lay offs.

Too much backstabbing.

Everyone is wiling to step on anyone to get ahead. The management team is a old boys system that if you aren't a part of you are expendable. It is impossible to get into the club.

Working in Afghanistan

I worked in Bagram Afghanistan so everyday was different. You are working in a war zone. Worked hand and hand with the pilots and loadmasters for each aircraft.

Pros

great co workers

Cons

Work Enviorment

Long hours, good pay, rotating management

Usually long days but there is not much else to do anyway. Pay is great. Management is questionable at times.Environment is dangerous but that can be mitigated with intelligence and experience.

Pros

Pay

Disconnect upon departure

No relationship between headquarters and the revenue makers downrange. Investigated by the TRANSCOM IG for fraudulent billing for aircraft that were not crewed or flyable.

Good Company

My time there was a good,kept busy but not to much to handle. My managers were always helpful and cared about all their people. The company culture was one of safety first.

Pros

balanced time for family and work

Cons

could not bring in new buisness

Best place to work

Fast-paced environment, harsh working conditions, poor to moderate company support. Great place to learn every facet of helicopter maintenance. Great opportunity to travel the world.

Nice engineering environment

The engineering team is great however the company struggled to find contracts and did not prepare for upcoming bids properly so they would lose contracts.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AAR Airlift. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• AAR Airlift
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?