AARP
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

AARP Employee Reviews

4.1Work–Life Balance

Showing all 1,272 reviews

Fun place to work

AARP provided me with Best training to prepare taxes. They allow to balance between life and work. All counselors work voluntarily and happily. I recommend others to join AARP.

Pros

Best and Free training

Cons

I wish they were open throughout the year

Collaborative environment that had a great balance between work and at home.

I loved working at AARP because it was collaborative working environment and people were great. I like the fact that tools and resources were readily available and there was an open-door policy at the executive level.

Good work culture

People are friendly but management can be demanding and lack transparency. Great benefits, PTO, volunteering opportunities. The work can be very demanding.

Good management.

I like working here. It's peaceful enviornment. I wish they hired me as a permanent full-time employee. I don't like being a temp, makes me worried about my future.

Great alternative of supplemental income for those with limited resources

I was a part of the SCSEP program so the compensation was very low. I was there before the pandemic, and now I understand some changes have taken place. Toward the end of my employment there, I left for better compensation my manager became very ill. Otherwise, it was a very rewarding place to work making a difference, helping others.

Pros

Paid holidays even part time

Cons

Minimum wage

Not a business… a well funded non-profit that doesn’t always make business decisions

For context this organization brings in $1.8B and has only 2500 employees. That’s a fortune 1000 level org in terms of revenue. Everything possible is done to not “mess it up”. Management is impotent, mostly because no single person has any ability to make a decision. As a result the majority of the management structure are the type of people willing to tolerate this. In the end, managers deal with entitled & overpaid employees who have no incentive to work, and are priced out of leaving. The place is not set up for working parents, rather people who are lagging their way into retirement. I hope to return for my last job before retirement.

If you are down and out they will help.

AARP was there for me to get me started again. The pay was the worst and the working conditions were fair. I was transferred to 2 locations after the initial job. I was allowed to study there while at work as well as look for work and interview openly on company time. I was exposed to negative work experiences, for example, I felt that my skills were being undermined. I felt like I was a joke to others employees. I am not saying this emotionally. It was true. But I am currently working in a job that is better suited to me now because of AARP. Try it out if you want to get on your feet again and you are 55 or older. I would do it again. Communication is unfriendly.

Pros

Study while working, look for work on company time and utilizing their computers as well as interviewing (paid)

Cons

Entry level and minimum wage only.

I would never recommend anyone to this program ,!

You still own me a forty hour pay check, you're company is into ripping off old people,I hope the federal government catches up with you !!!! My calls went unanswered I was ignored to this day !!!

Pros

Cons

Rip offs, tell you no heavy lifting that's a lie, bosses could care less about personal problems, you're reading, pa office is a joke

Cult like devotion to two warring Middle Managers. Choose wisely.

I was caught between two Middle Managers with a clear animosity toward each other. They each had their own fiefdoms and pitted people against other people. This made it difficult to understand the objectives of one side vs the objectives of the other and I was constantly running in circles trying to please both. Secondly, the bureaucracy hinders getting anything done. This is made worse by Managers claiming any sort of influence or credit for any ideas. They seem to be more interested in their own self-interest and self-preservation than the Social Mission of the organization. This permeates from the top down.

Pros

Good Pay, unlimited resources (almost to the point of wasteful spending for a non-profit, crazy spending on creature comforts and office parties

Cons

Petty. Political, Poor Middle Management, No Vision, No defined role, Cult-like devotion expected to two warring Middle Managers is expected.

Everyone has great ethical anilites

Its a very positive and helpful place to the partipants, as in training and learning new skills.The staff work cooperative with you. You are treated as an humanly individuals They use good communication when speaking to You. They talk to you,not at you . The environment is very warm and genuinely kind.They are so wonderful to be around,and I was so happy to meet them.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at AARP?

my coworkers are what keeps me going

Managment and morale have decline over the past 8 months. Overall AARP is a great organization. Unfortunately a bad manager can outweight the good. The organization is huge so I can't speak for other departments, but my department has seen an extremely high turnover rate.

Pros

Great Benefits

Cons

Micro Management

If you are down and out they will help.

Pros

Cons

Entry level and minimum wage only.

fun

You are just a number and a warm body filling a set. They do not care about you. They only want the calls answered. Training is a bare minimum to half way do the job. My training class was 27 days long and we had 25 agents in it. By the end we only had 8 left to go to the production floor. None of us are left after one month. The managers don’t help you at all but yell at you if you mess up.

Pros

money

Cons

nothing

Job trainiing

Enjoy working at AARP. Refreshing All skills. Working close as team players. Good communication. Multi task. Working with dead lines. Need to have good coordination.

Pros

Be at work everyday.

Cons

Try not to miss work.

Working with AARP has given me a new perspective of work ability.

I like having a work-from-home situation. I have decided to looked into a new different career. The information that is on the videos and work related information that the training sessions are able to look at my career might to able to help.

Pros

I can work-from-work.

Cons

Health care

The productive and fun work environment.

A typical day involves preparing for intake and orientation process for participants interested in becoming a part of the program. I type documents, follow up with participants, assist participants with job search/placement, schedule appointments, take job orders from companies throughout the city while building relationships, etc.

Pros

Family work environment

Cons

Short breaks

Not worth all the paper work they make sign just to register.

The Program assigns you to a Company to learn a craft. The Program, not the Company, pays you a minimum wage salary. The job is more like an internship. During your stay, you might be able to learn a Craft or they don’t have time for you and you might end up shadowing workers. You are paid around 20 hrs a week at minimum wage. At the same time you are supposed to be out looking for a real job so the Program can give your position to someone else who is on a waiting list.

Pros

Sometimes you may get a free lunch, if the company you work with is nice enough to invite you.

Cons

Not worth the stress if you need to find a job soon

Supportive culture

I interned for AARP as a college student and loved the experience. It is the most inclusive and supportive team I’ve ever been on! I highly recommend this opportunity if it falls in line with your education and career goals.

Good company to work for.

Nice benefits. Holiday bonus. Lots of employee recognition. Plenty of training. Premier lobbying agency for seniors on Capitol Hill. Every 7 years you get a month off for "renewal." Kind and caring co-workers. Two gyms and cafeteria in DC headquarters.

Pros

Nice benefits, lots of training, employee recognition

Cons

Low salary

Wonderful mission but misses in innovation and execution

Positives - wonderful mission to help 50+ Americans, awesome work/life balance, company seems to really care about their employees, great colleagues, inclusive and collaborative culture, high salary relative to other non profits, opportunities to learn and grow but this is highly dependent on your departmentNegatives - very easy to stagnate and stay on the same role for 10+ years, few opportunities to get promoted, business decisions take painfully long to happen and execution of these decisions is often mediocre, innovation among management and leadership is often lacking

Pros

Great work/life balance

Cons

Lack of career upward mobility

they place you always in different posistions! so it makes it always challenging and different and always meeting new people along the way!

At the office they are always helpful when a problem comes along. The Staff are very poliet to me.. Always.. a pleasure to work with.. and can always place at my convenience.

Pros

Meeting new people all the time.

Cons

sometime driving longs distances

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AARP. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• AARP