AB Agri

26: AB Agri Employee Reviews

3.2Work–Life Balance

Traditional and clique

When embedded into one of the group companies ab agri seems to be a great place to work however the shared services had real organisational, prioritisation and investment challenges requiring skilled political navigation. Lots of currying favour and self promotion needed in order to survive.

Growing and changing

The company is growing all the time with new business and acquisitions. This means there is lots of change across the different businesses that make up AB Agri. The pay is ok, benefits could be better but overall the package is good, lots of flexibility in how and when work is done. The work from home is what attracted me here. The people are genuinely nice and friendly.

Pros

friendly people, good work / life balance

Cons

too many handoffs in processes, too many people involved in decision making which slows it down and leads to low accountability

When I worked there it was a great company to work for. People were nice, helpful and friendly.

Worked there for 4 years. Wish I never left. It was challenging and fast paced, opportunities for learning new skills. Meeting new people. Management team were good, my boss was very approachable and supportive.

Pros

Good work Life balance

Cons

Tricky at times with constant moving markets.

Good work, nice atmosphere.

Good place to work, modern trucks, well maintained, nothing flash but suited to farm work. Other drivers friendly and helpful with directions to the farms. Management good at Mill level, but above that not so good. 4 on 4 off shift patern gives good balance. Its farm deliveries so country lanes and poo! but not endless motorways day after day.

Pros

Free Tea and Coffee!!

Cons

Poo.

A Great place to work, not anymore.

They are trialing a new shift patterns to enable the company to run Flixborough mill 24/7. Your weekly average is 42hrs while being paid for 48hrs to compensate for working Saturday night and Sunday as the mill used to be closed then. There are 2 shift patterns. Days and nights run completely different patterns. You also get a 20% shift bonus for working permanent nights. Unfortunately the office has no clue on how to manage you to 42hr average. They work you to 48hrs still no matter what.Your expected to work 12hrs+ all the time which doesn't work at all so expect delays to get your truck when you start your shift. Planning is done centrally by a computer system that thinks your truck can fly to each farm. It is then messed around by the office at the mill so if your face doesn't fit, expect very long shifts. Serviceability of the units and trailers is bad so you can expect lots of breakdowns too. Wages are not great for the area either and we're paid less than other ABN sites. If it wasn't for the time off I get on my shift pattern, I'd have left. The office doesn't care if you have a life or family outside of work. The drivers are a good bunch and happy to help you finding farms you've never been too before.

Pros

The time off, drivers are great to work with

Cons

Very dusty, poor management, poor wages

Excellent company - promotes work life balance

I have worked for AB Agri for a number of years and have never felt more supported in my career and work life balance. I have supportive management and colleagues and love the autonomy I am given to manage my own workload. Yes, it can be busy, fast paced and demanding but that's what you want in a job right? I have grown as a person and in my professional career in AB Agri and I love being part of a company that really wants to create a legacy in Agriculture and for our planet. Every role in Agri has a part to play in this. Great team, great culture, great experiences.

Work hard, work flexibly, be yourself

I’ve worked in the Peterborough office for some time. I’m always met with a smile no matter which which UK or international site I visit.I love that managers recognise there is life outside of work. I’m comfortable to ask anyone anything. I like the give and take.

Pros

Facilities

Cons

Occasional weekend working

Great Workplace!

Always learning something new, collaborating with team members to accomplish company goals. Looking forward to my continue professional growth at ABAgri.

Good pay . Unpleasant workplace

Great pay, good pension, job is easy. However the atmosphere is very clicky , and a lot of backstabbing employees, who will run to management with pictures of a spec of mud , or some feed in the wagon . Then management will discipline or sack people for it .... don’t be tempted , it’s not worth it . Unless you have dreamed of cleaning trucks at “the hills have eyes” film set.

Pros

Pay

Cons

More disciplines than deliveries

Solid Company

Would recommend anyone who wishes to peruse a career within the commercial side of Agriculture to look at Abagri. The business operates in all monogastric feed sectors with a substantial footprint in each species group. Market share is substantial, products are respected in the field and perform well. Ample training opportunities are available and management are tasked with developing their teams as part of their own objectives. In other words training and development is a serious and sincere experience, not just a tick box or adhoc. During lockdown the company became understanding and sensitive to changing working patterns and made a real effort to support staff where needed.

Pros

Training and development, autonomy, no micro management, strong structures and procedures. Same rules for everyone.

Cons

Silo culture that can bred unnecessary internal complexities. HQ centric at times.

Awful place backstabbing is rife

Worked at Grimsdyke and management is awful spoken to as if u are something on bottom of managers shoe H&S a no go and worst for breaching is management wouldn’t recommend anyone works here till management changes job itself satisfying but dirty and dusty politics between production staff and drivers ruined it

Pros

Money

Cons

Management and micro managed

Good place to work, lovely staff

I enjoy working here, the people are lovely and you build a good relationship with the customers due to speaking to them on a regular basis. Good workflow and fast paced.

Pros

Hour lunch

Cons

Tricky phone calls

Nice environment, Friendly people

Overall people is very friendly. However I was somehow disappointed my team leader though very friendly at the beginning, couldn't organised the team well, after one of the colleagues applied to be on another department. It turned to be quite stressful to work in. They didn't have a structure set up, in order to avoid people to be stressed. I was told by the team leader that's the way the company works but it was denied by one of the Purchasing director as she said people shouldn't work under stress environment. Unfortunately, I didn't have a good experience, in spite i got support from some of the colleagues but it was not the same with the team leader.

Pros

fresh fruit, teas and coffee available and friendly people

Cons

it was not managed properly leaving people stressed

Narsarcistic place to work

Worst place I've worked in 20 years for back stabbing and bullying! A lot of blame culture form the longer employed drivers who damage the wagons but don't own up to it! Narsarcistic management who need to have a lot more training to be able to do there jobs properly! And if your face does not fit don't expect to be working there for long as you will be bullied to leave or if you don't leave the management will find another way! AVOID

farm delivery

Backstabbers from other drivers and like to blame you to cover there mistakes u,long hours 15 hours before you 2 days off manager dose not have a clue all for his self

Operations

Great company benefits. Power hungry narcissistic manager. Long hours and expected to work all day and night. Goal posts moved on many occasions. Zero rewards. Most days were soul destroying. Made to feel at the bottom of the pecking order. Expected to carry out any duties.

Worked here for very short time

I don't have much to say, as I only worked here for one month and left for circumstances unrelated to the job. It was a fine office environment with friendly people.

Pros

Friendly people, free tea

Cons

A bit on the formal side, which is probably more normal in the UK than in North America

Not a great career move if you have ambition

I joined in 2017 with all the promise of becoming a part of a thriving business with growth ambitions. it took just a few weeks to realise that the company was made up from ex-British Sugar employees (Jumping a sinking ship) and others from the ABF group that feel they have a sense of entitlement to jobs within the AB Agri. I found my self working with people who had no qualifications or experience in the job they were doing and reporting into a management team that was incompetent."that's what happens when you don't follow a strengths based recruitment process".The business was actually not growing, it was making redundancies and pulling out of markets after receiving battering from it competitors. Personally I spent most of my time educating those above me in hierarchy and those who were employed because there face fitted. I would advise anyone considering of joining to seriously interrogate those conducting the interview and ensure you are not miss sold the job you are applying for.

Pros

Free milk for tea

Cons

Blame culture

Good Job, Bad Clique Of Drivers

I worked at Enstone for a few years. I loved the job! I miss it even now! But Enstone is infested with a little group of drivers who are petty back stabbers and will even vandalise your lorry! Just because you love working there and don't slag off the office you become a target. The work isn't for everyone but If you like that industry it is a great career. Maybe go to another depot other than Enstone? Or wait for them to clear out the dead wood and it will be a great place to work.

Pros

Good Wage, Varied Work, Never a dull moment

Cons

Other Drivers

was a good place to work

I worked at ab agri for over 27 yearbagging animal feed and shrink wrappingadding the drugs and other ingredients to the food mixer and generally running the mill r

Pros

30 min lunch

Cons

12 hr shift day and night

Don't bother

Place is a dive, complete waste of time. I left after many years of service due to incompetant management and their attirude towards us drivers. Used to be a good place to work, but not any more. Shift is good working 4 days a week, however you're going to get a 15hr on your last day before every day with certainty. 4 on 5 off 4 on 1 off 2 on 2 off And repeat.

Pros

Pay is ok and 4 days a week

Cons

Transport is a joke. Management treat you like dirt.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AB Agri. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• AB Agri