Aboriginal Hostels Limited
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Aboriginal Hostels Limited Employee Reviews

Australia17 reviews
This company has a unique culture which takes some time to get used to. I could learns lots about working in a cross cultural context. But there can occur lots of unexpected challenging situations.
Pros
Learn new culture
Cons
Challenges from difficult situations
I was night attendant so was pretty relaxing wish they offer .ore training as in for security licences but management ignored my request.. hours work was ok if ur a night owl
Need to get a Manager that is "Local" and to make sure that ALL applications are processed instead of leaving them on the desk or ignoring them, and to think about the local people are looking for work and can do this work here in the hot Pilbara, South Hedland!!
Not paid well but it was job satisfaction helping others less fortunate than myself. It used to be enjoyable until the Managent changed. There was no job security anymore. They don’t rate experience and loyalty but they employed people who don’t have experience hence it cost them more money and resources because they feel they can. I personally would pick someone with experience to work in this area
Wonderful team with great ethics
Working with dialysis patients and making them feel comfortable and respected.

Great management team and support

Hardest part of the job is isolation, if you can't handle it don't do the job
Toxic work culture, overwhelming amount of nepotism and corruption. Just don't recommend it.

Took the job as a step into government, turned out to be a waste of time.
Pros
Flexi - which they advise against having
Cons
everything else
a typical day, would consist of cleaning kitchen dining and downstairs toilet areas, offices, also laundry.
upstairs all rooms in dorm, swept ,mopped, mirrors cleaned etc. shower block, toilets and hallways swept mopped and rubbish removal.
Pros
free lunches, wonderful workmates and scholl based holidays
Cons
travelled long distance to work, traffic
Seconded as Manager from Cairns to Thursday Island.
Set up from scratch and Manage the day to day operations of a Student Hostel to include staff training.

Regional Manager was very encouraging.

Culture slightly off putting, many employees staid in their jobs and were an aging workforce.

Difficult to source long term staff (Houseparents, cooks, cleaners).

Liaison with the students was very enjoyable and to ensure their education was fundamental to their cause of living and attending Secondary schools in Thursday Island.
Pros
Accommodation and food provided
Cons
On call 24/7, long hours, had to fill in for "no show staff" regularly, without getting RDO's
Accomodation was supplied however, I was on a 7.5hr roster but expected to cover the 24hr operations of the hostel. Lots of unpaid hours. Very rewarding work with the clients but there is no work life balance within the hostel.
Pros
Accomodation provided & working with the clientele.
Cons
Not enough hostel staff to cover 24/7 operations. Low salaries and split shifts.
I wouldn't recommend anyone working at this department. Salary is one of the lowest paid in the Public Service, and management were not helpful at all when you had any issues, concerns or suggestions.
Cons
Low salary
working for Aboriginal hostel, for 10 yrs. open a door way within APS government but never allowed you to move up in the salary mark. very under pay for the work that is offered. management was not so care towards the staff which a high turn over was a factor
Pros
Meeting Indigenous
Cons
Under paid
During the night would check in on the kids to make sure they would be sleeping in the right rooms while also doing cleaning (example. kitchen, linen, computer room, dinning room, lounge room etc..) and before I would end the shift I would fill in a report and prepare breakfast.
Pros
Working night shift, going out on country with the kids and other co-workers, free dinner and breakfast, got to know the kids
I love cleaning and cleaning properly I don't just dust the cover I clean under the cover I enjoy cleaning.
I also done kitchen hand work cleaning dinning room restoring sugar, milk, salt pepper excreta serving meals sorting and putting orders away
Typical day - Never boring, Meet new clients
Learnt - to liase with Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islanders with confidence.

Management - was helpful when required

Co-workers - wonderful supporters.

Hardest part of my job - Evictions and mediating with disgruntle Clients

Most Enjoyable part - working as a team everyone was equal. Getting to know the clients and their families which helped transition them from Hostel life to permanent accommodation for quality of life for parents and children.
Pros
Accommodation, meals and car
Cons
For a government organisation the pay is to low for the work that they want your to do, if you have to sleep over which most of the managers and assistant managers have to do
Pros
Cons
some long hours and you do not get paid for it they exspect you to take it in leave in leui.
Very good to work for but my Hostel that I was manage ring closed its doors in Port Augusta. S.A and now they have got me on retrenchment.

I started working with this Company in the early 1980's and enjoyed every bit of it.
First staff member on site as to ensure production, structure and performance throughout the day be ready to cater for service to our 40 bed long and short term residents.
Food control is very important within my role as selection and variety of food be prepared and organized on a timed scehdule. Kitchenhand is rostered on a daily basis to assist with the cleaning as i prepare 4 meals a day.

The hardest part of the job is making sure that the food is nutrious, healthy and vibrant most of all renal acceptance.

The best part of the job is learning and understanding our wide cultural country.
Pros
free meals