ACT Government
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

ACT Government Employee Reviews

Their call centre environment is all about supporting every ACT government sector but there's close to no support for the officers who takes these calls. You'll do the hard work and numbers but people will only see you for the mistakes you've made and hardly get any recognition for your efforts. Even if you've come from an already well established IT background. It's crunch time, all the time.
Pros
Pay is pretty good. Building is very new with great facilities.
Cons
Workers are zombies with no smiles, Workers pity themselves with their own personal demons to care about you.
ACT Government is very well planned and managed organisation. My skills in working with collaboration and keen to learn are very beneficial to enjoy my work while providing services to my clients.
Useless management only interested in protecting their own jobs. Poor culture and bullying. People employed because of social connections and not capabilities. Most senior people don't have the appropriate skills to manage their positions.
Pros
Cons
Waste of time
I`m start my job as service desk support in 27Aug 2019 and 2 days sent me to the site to more induction and trained me for 5 days, in days 9 I started to answer the call with my team leader vision. they fire me in days 9 with 1 hour notice.
Pros
No free Lunches
Cons
Bad relation and communication
If you want a great culture this is not the place to be. The upper management at Gunghalin threaten and bully staff. Lower management are better, depending on the area. The staff who do all the work in general are a great bunch to work with, and with all places, some groups better then others.
Pros
Staff
Cons
There are so many roles you can take on in the ACT Government from direct service to strategic and government management. Most areas are good to work and like any organisation some managers and Directorates are better than others. Ultimately this usually depends on the individuals. But as an organisation there are good structures and good opportunities. Office locations are across Canberra so if you have some control you can select a location that works best for you. If you are going to apply for a job it does help to show that you have researched the ACT Government and have some idea of the roles the local government does (please ensure you make your application ACT specific instead of APS).
Pros
Solid employment arrangements and salary structures, flexible working in some areas, opportunity to move areas
Cons
no incentivised pay structures
I had a hideous experience - I was covertly bullied for over a year. This ended in my resignation from an ACT government department which is supposed to uphold justice and community safety. What a joke. My mental health was so compromised that anxiety and depression took over my life. I will never be the same.
Pros
None, unless you had a good supervisor.
Cons
Bullying, jobs for the boys and lack of support.
excellent experience. They allowed me to use my experience and skills. They also guided me to teach and conform to Austrailian norms. The support and guidance was excellent.
Pros
wide range of opportunities
Cons
Unfortunately my experience was not nice - poor management - gossip - no support and bullying -they brag about being the place to work ... oops I must be in the wrong place - high turnover of staff and management are lacking basic personnel skills
Pros
Cons
No work life balance
One of the best places to work. The employer put a lot of emphasis and promote a work health and safe place for staff, patients and visitors. Everyone is valued..
Pros
It is multicultural.
place where i have develop my skill in technical support, product quality, stock management, and customer care skill . Work day are balance with my life style and the work culture are fantastic.
Pros
free lunch, good opportunity for expanding knowledge
Cons
no health care
I work in call centre environment. The work flow varies through out the day. My co workers are great to work with. Most client are good to deal with.
There is no typical day at work. There are regular scheduled meetings but at any stage of the day someone or a project hits a crisis point. I learnt very quickly to get the days work out of my so I can deal with the crisis as they arise. Management were an interesting part of the game. They either didn't wont to know or micromanaged. The best of them trusted their staff to do what they did and did it well. The hardest part of change management is to guide people down a path without taking dangerous shortcuts. The most enjoyable part was seeing the 'lightbulb' moment when the reason for a structured process is that it makes life easier not harder.
Every day was different, I did various things such as general horticulture, removal of rubbish, Mowing grass, Whipper snippering, High Pressure cleaning (water), Street Cleaning etc. I did a lot of interacting with the public, I also got pride in my job by seeing the end result, in completion of what the task was.
Pros
Dealing with everyday tasks and seeing the end result.
Bad Management. As a casual Special Needs Transport Driver, you will only be called to work if a permanent driver is sick or on leave. Could be once a week, once a fortnight, once a month. Not suitable if you are looking for regular work.
Pros
Pay rates are reasonable.
Cons
Unfriendly environment.
Great team environment, great people and really focused on individual strengths and how to counteract where room for improvement. I have really enjoyed my time here and will be very sad leaving.
Pros
Great team, great work for passionate person
Cons
Not being able to obtain permanency - still on contract extensions after 14 months
had bad boss how was never there was at club drinking and playing pokies and not working dint like to work at all he likes givieing it to others
Cons
long hours with no extra money
I've found SSICT to be a place filled with highly skilled and motivated people. The management is supportive of overall work / life balance and peers are always ready to lend a hand.
Pros
Work / Life Balance
Cons
Distance (North Canberra)
Unfortunately there wasn't many opportunities for me to develop my skills and experience. Felt like I was stagnating in the section I was in.
I have learnt a lot over the years and enjoyed friendships. I learnt all aspects of road work and picked up loads of knowledge.
Pros
experiance
Cons
Weather in canberra as my sons asthmatic.
Wonderful working community that helped build a positive environment.