ACT Health
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

ACT Health Employee Reviews

Australia17 reviews
Ask to support the administrative and medical staff in support of out patients with ACT Health. The role included data entry and working with ACTPASS Medical Records.
Management look to cover up problems not solve them, and are happy to work staff members into the ground. Under- staffing and unsupportive management create's a 'every- man for himself' vibe in the team. No debriefing system in place for inpatient mental health nurses, many showing signs of PTSD and some saying they felt scared walking into the ward everyday. ACT Health does not value their staff. Salary is ok but doesn't cover the additional responsibilities or overtime as a result of staff shortages.
Data area is fast paced as I work with all kinds of data requests.
Working here helped me understand various aspects of data.

I have got opportunity to work with different internal and external stakeholders .
Pros
Salary packaging
Cons
Fast paced
I had an excellent year of work at ACT Health where they gave most of the privileges of a permanent employee in spite of being a contractor plus top payment. Great Work Life Balance.

Plus, when I collapsed at work, the whole staff did everything to save my life and I am still alive and well to be grateful to ACT Health.

No royalty to current staffs - when it’s time to renew contract, they offer positions to external applicants who they believe are better for the jobs over people who are already doing the job. Then the management gets turned down by those external applicants and the place is understaffed. Difficult to get leave. Many after-hour shifts.
You will be overworked if you do not thoroughly respect your own start, lunch and finish times.

Most departments don't like taking on criticism of their work so if you notice something wrong you have to present it to them as nonjudgmental as possible or face being ignored or worse being blamed.

You learn a lot about the public health care system and a little about the private if you are lucky.

If you want to work admin but aren't fussy about where take a temporary contract job here so that you leave on good terms with management and head for GP practices who might appreciate your experience with the health industry.

The hardest part of the job is the over work and clashing expectations from superiors.

There are good parts but for me those were localized to my specific work area.
Pros
decent pay, Eap, a job that helps people
Cons
overwork, poor work culture
ACT Health has a bad culture. Many staff feel undervalued. Bullying and Harassment is rampant. Don’t try to challenge it as is it quickly disregarded.
Life balance family friendly NOT. God forbid your child is unwell or even critically ill and require Emergency hospital stay. Your time out of the office is a massive inconvenience.

Don’t have children, everything is great. Single professional even better for you.
Where hope dies

Exceptionally bad management, little understanding re corporate culture, unethical decision making

Bullying, and belittling name of the day
Pros
personal leave
Cons
management within MHJHADS
Lots of different tasks, no day was the same. Great team enivroment, lots of support. Acquired a lot of medical skills whilst employeed here, learnt so much.
Difficult management that does not consider staff as people or as individuals. The only way to advance is to sell ones soul to the devil. Soul destroying environment
Pros
work is important and rewarding
Cons
short breaks if any, little to no chance of taking leave
energetic, friendly,good working condition, good reputation, good salary, good culture, staff reorganization, professional training and development
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no over time
It's a busy ward with lots of challenges but at the end of the day you really feel you are making a big difference in the patients lives. It is rewarding.
Pros
Constant learning environment
Cons
Short staffed on a regular basis.
Management creating a bad culture and nobody is happy to be working there. There is no respect for anyone or helping people who need flexible hours. One of the worst places to work due to management.
Pros
No pros
Cons
No flexible hours
Booking executives diary for conferences and travel
Booking patients for appointments

Customer Service Contact by phone with patients

HR Payroll data entry for trainees and registrars

Correspondence registration and scanning

Booking meeting room

Catering for functions

Minute taking for closed meetings

Typing referral and other correspondence as requested

Receipting and delivery of doctor’s mail.
Pros
Doctors are wonderful
Cons
no work life balance
Focus on patient outcomes and inclusion in the care planning was rewarding
Fiscal management was a challenge while providing quality services to the community.

Most rewarding aspect was always the interaction with patients and staff.
I found both the work and the people I worked with to be pleasant and very benificial to my career progression. I was able to witness many aspects of HR funtions and processes which have provided me with essential skills for the future. I am very happy I had the opportuinity to work in the department.
Pros
networking opportunities
A typical day at work was allocating community nursing to clients

I learned a complex computer system called MultiPlan

The Management people were very approachable and easy to talk to

The most enjoyable part of this job was the interaction with community nurses
Pros
Proximity to the city of Canberra
Ask a question about working or interviewing at ACT Health. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7