ACT Health
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

19: ACT Health Employee Reviews

Australia19 reviews

2.5Work–Life Balance

Bullying culture

Although ACT Health has several different departments/areas with a multidisciplinary workforce, it is generally known for its competitive and bullying culture especially among its management. Further, there is very little support for employees who are victims of bullying although there is the free employee assistance program (EAP) offered to all public servants seeking counselling services. The hardest part of the job is work-life balance, particularly for nurses on the wards as they are often required to work on a rotating roster of shifts that are outside normal work or school hours. Nurses in this organisation are often not free to choose the shifts that are suitable for them and face poor chances of promotion unless they work full time and have good relationships with managers/key people. For this reason, those who wish to study or who have care-giving roles are better off working casually which improves work-life balance but limits career development. In my opinion, the most enjoyable part of nursing is interacting with people from diverse backgrounds and being able to make a real difference in their lives through the care I give them.

Pros

job security, decent salary

Cons

inconvenient work hours

Toxic workplace that values chaos and politics over caring for people

I lasted 17 weeks at the ACT Health Directorate and I would never work there again. Red flags from day one in relation to blame culture, complete lack of mature leadership, zero value placed on skills and experience - jobs for mates! - and total absence of emotional intelligence at the higher levels. I'm amazed that more people haven't died because of the incompetence and unprofessionalism displayed by 'managers' at the Directorate. No accountability. This workplace is run like a dictatorship. Like consultation? Forget it.You won't be asked before resources are reallocated but make no mistake, you will be raked over the coals when deliverables aren't met. I was disgusted by my experience and can only hope that an external agency is brought in to review and completely restructure this shameful excuse for a public office.

Pros

None whatsoever.

Cons

Culture, expectations, lack of accountability and professionalism. This place will end up killing someone.

Not a supportive work culture

Management look to cover up problems not solve them, and are happy to work staff members into the ground. Under- staffing and unsupportive management create's a 'every- man for himself' vibe in the team. No debriefing system in place for inpatient mental health nurses, many showing signs of PTSD and some saying they felt scared walking into the ward everyday. ACT Health does not value their staff. Salary is ok but doesn't cover the additional responsibilities or overtime as a result of staff shortages.

Fast paced

Data area is fast paced as I work with all kinds of data requests. Working here helped me understand various aspects of data. I have got opportunity to work with different internal and external stakeholders .

Pros

Salary packaging

Cons

Fast paced

Very relaxed environment with a compassionate and effective management

I had an excellent year of work at ACT Health where they gave most of the privileges of a permanent employee in spite of being a contractor plus top payment. Great Work Life Balance. Plus, when I collapsed at work, the whole staff did everything to save my life and I am still alive and well to be grateful to ACT Health. THANK YOU ACT HEALTH

Bad culture, poor staff retention rate, under staffs

No royalty to current staffs - when it’s time to renew contract, they offer positions to external applicants who they believe are better for the jobs over people who are already doing the job. Then the management gets turned down by those external applicants and the place is understaffed. Difficult to get leave. Many after-hour shifts.

You have to have a real passion for public health

You will be overworked if you do not thoroughly respect your own start, lunch and finish times. Most departments don't like taking on criticism of their work so if you notice something wrong you have to present it to them as nonjudgmental as possible or face being ignored or worse being blamed. You learn a lot about the public health care system and a little about the private if you are lucky. If you want to work admin but aren't fussy about where take a temporary contract job here so that you leave on good terms with management and head for GP practices who might appreciate your experience with the health industry. The hardest part of the job is the over work and clashing expectations from superiors. There are good parts but for me those were localized to my specific work area.

Pros

decent pay, Eap, a job that helps people

Cons

overwork, poor work culture

A data processing experience

Ask to support the administrative and medical staff in support of out patients with ACT Health. The role included data entry and working with ACTPASS Medical Records.

ASO former employee of 20 years

ACT Health has a bad culture. Many staff feel undervalued. Bullying and Harassment is rampant. Don’t try to challenge it as is it quickly disregarded. Life balance family friendly NOT. God forbid your child is unwell or even critically ill and require Emergency hospital stay. Your time out of the office is a massive inconvenience. Don’t have children, everything is great. Single professional even better for you.

awful place to work

Where hope dies Exceptionally bad management, little understanding re corporate culture, unethical decision making Bullying, and belittling name of the day

Pros

personal leave

Cons

management within MHJHADS

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at ACT Health?

Different every day.

Lots of different tasks, no day was the same. Great team enivroment, lots of support. Acquired a lot of medical skills whilst employeed here, learnt so much.

Enjoy the work and staff, did not approve of management

Difficult management that does not consider staff as people or as individuals. The only way to advance is to sell ones soul to the devil. Soul destroying environment

Pros

work is important and rewarding

Cons

short breaks if any, little to no chance of taking leave

job security, job culture

energetic, friendly,good working condition, good reputation, good salary, good culture, staff reorganization, professional training and development

Pros

free lunch

Cons

no over time

Busy workplace with constant challenges

It's a busy ward with lots of challenges but at the end of the day you really feel you are making a big difference in the patients lives. It is rewarding.

Pros

Constant learning environment

Cons

Short staffed on a regular basis.

Not a nice place to work and I don't recommend people to work here

Management creating a bad culture and nobody is happy to be working there. There is no respect for anyone or helping people who need flexible hours. One of the worst places to work due to management.

Pros

No pros

Cons

No flexible hours

Stressful environment

Booking executives diary for conferences and travel Booking patients for appointments Customer Service Contact by phone with patients HR Payroll data entry for trainees and registrars Correspondence registration and scanning Booking meeting room Catering for functions Minute taking for closed meetings Typing referral and other correspondence as requested Receipting and delivery of doctor’s mail.

Pros

Doctors are wonderful

Cons

no work life balance

Provision of quality patient care

Focus on patient outcomes and inclusion in the care planning was rewarding Fiscal management was a challenge while providing quality services to the community. Most rewarding aspect was always the interaction with patients and staff.

I experienced many aspects of HR funtions within this role and I would happily work at ACT Health again in the future.

I found both the work and the people I worked with to be pleasant and very benificial to my career progression. I was able to witness many aspects of HR funtions and processes which have provided me with essential skills for the future. I am very happy I had the opportuinity to work in the department.

Pros

networking opportunities

Production place to work and great people to work with

A typical day at work was allocating community nursing to clients I learned a complex computer system called MultiPlan The Management people were very approachable and easy to talk to The most enjoyable part of this job was the interaction with community nurses

Pros

Proximity to the city of Canberra

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ACT Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

ACT Health Reviews by Location