AGL Energy
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

AGL Energy Employee Reviews

It provides a balance of site and office work. There is variety in the problems that need to be solved. It provide a framework for managing goals but offers limited career progression.
Pros
Collaborative environment
Cons
Lots of remote bush travel
Management is very approachable and very organised place to work. Very transparent workplace. Virtual meetings for 15 minutes every morning. Excellent team environment. Staff are ery helpful, friendly and approachable.
Pros
Excellent Team environment
Cons
Expectations are very high
Great to work within a team that works collaboratively with other teams and have the ability to see your progress in a open manner. Team leaders promote innovation and happy to take on board any kind of efficient strategies most time.
Pros
Lots of goodies during the day...
Cons
Tight schedule for some projects which means long hours sometimes
As far as call centres go, AGL was decent. The training was good, but the development over time was very much dependent on the team leader. Targets were reasonable.
I started my job with AGL around couple of years ago. At the beginning, it was a welcoming culture, with a collaborative team. After a few months, the structure was changed and a new Project Manager came on board, starting the Power and dominance game. Valuable team members were replaced with his mates. I also got bullied on various occasions, and finally dismissed. Important to note that, I brought a great value to AGL with 90% improvement in its Project delivery process!. Australia ranks 6th in WORKPLACE BULLYING among 53 OECD countries, and my experience was vividly reflective of this reality.
Pros
Slightly higher salary
Cons
Bullying and harassment culture
AGL provides me a great opportunity to learn and develop in a supportive culture, a great package was offered and the opportunity to provide feedback was available on a regular basis
AGL overall is a company focused on safety, diversity and customer centricity. With such a large organisation, there are of course different pockets and departments that have different cultures.
Pros
Flex Working, Extra Leave
Cons
old command and control structures in some areas, too many middle aged white men in charge - lacking diversity especially in IT
Supportive team environment (DCOE), no major "office politics" at my level (non-executive, non-management), casual dress code, excellent work/life balance, and interesting programs of work (with some initiatives popping up in the green / renewables space). Some issues common with working at a large corp, but nothing surprising if you've worked for large corps before.
AGL in general had a satisfactory environment of workers and team leaders. The training suited the sales team and everyone was successful from time to time. Everyone I know liked working at AGL
Large amount of micro-management, toilet breaks are timed and you have 30 seconds between calls. very stressful work environment. sometimes you need to stay past 7:30 pm to clear the queues resulting in missing the bus, however this is not accounted for by management.
It doesn't pay well to engineers. Engineers do not get good recognition. Top management have no vision in development of their engineers.Career progression is limited.
Pros
Good office environment
Cons
Many
Interesting job, to say the least. Customer focus does not appear to be a strong point, rather sales and payments. Management far to numbers orientated. Trying to get people to get off the phone as fast as possible whether the issue is resolved or not, which tends to cause more problems. Dealing with irrate customers can be hard, especially when you cannot do anything to help them. Team managers are brilliant, and will always do their utmost to help you with work/life balance. I've always said the people make the job, and my collegues were some of the best i've ever worked with.
Pros
Great team environment, after work events, at work events, Playstation and arcade machines in the break out rooms.
Cons
KPI's are not realistic in my opinion, upper management very numbers orientated, shifts rotate a lot.
I’ve heard that it is quite nice to work at AGL; just not in Customer Solutions. If you feel like you peaked in high school, love bullying and asserting authority over others, do I have a job for you! Here’s my review: -Manipulative tactics used by management to push you to achieve their unrealistic targets. -No respect for work/life balance and mental well-being. -Little to no regard for customer experience. Forcing agents to close off work prematurely/end calls as quickly as possible and focus only on sales and payment opportunities. -Overall negative attitude in response to any feedback provided by agents. Reminded time and time again that our role was not to question or push back on any work assigned. “trust the process” -No action taken to remedy the high levels of stress and pressure placed upon agents and team leaders. -Toxic work culture filled with gossip and rumours that ruin reputations. -Job opportunities are based on whether your leader supports you. If you have problems with your leader, they may refuse to support you. This may be because they only want to support people who will make them look good. Management forcefully block other departments from taking from ‘their’ pool of employees. -Forcing tenured agents to forgo their long service leave by trying to make them take career breaks. Firing employees who are days away from their long service leave entitlements. -Boasting about a flexible work environment, but making it virtually impossible for anyone to actually utilise this. Students’ exam periods and placement periods are fought. Agents with - more...
Pros
Sometimes they have fun workplace events
Cons
Your soul being crushed.
High focus on safety.Opportunities to develop for those motivated and willing to embrace change. I moved across many roles as opportunities presented.General skilled through to Trade, People and Culture roles and Supervisory roles.Well paid along with good conditions.Generally worked with good people.
Pros
Good people and variety of opportunities
Cons
Power station I worked in was shrinking due to old age/currency
A typical day was task completion, meetings and training. Learned how to delegate work tasks within a team and ensure all tasks were prioritized. Management always listened to ideas and gave team members the opportunity to feel comfortable to approach ideas and problem solutions when necessary. Always a happy and easy to work for culture. The hardest part of the job was training members that would not show interest in learning. The most enjoyable part of my job was getting to know team members and clients having a professional approach however at the same time having the great easy going communication to ensure all work completed and to the clients satisfaction.
Pros
located close to home
Cons
juggling the work load as well as train others
They pay pretty well but then you must obey!! All they care about is the business. You are not a person you are a possession. Management love to micro manage All the managers speak like politicians, they use there sales technics on you. Don't call in sick - you will be considered a liar straight away, and you will be interrogated on the phone and then in person in a little office. Being in hospital is no excuse. The business is first priority "Sounds like you're putting yourself before the business" says James senior manager If you need some money, do the excessively long training then quit. Don't stay a moment longer
Pros
Salary
Cons
Everything else
It's a decent enough place to work if you just want to get the job done and be compensated adequately as a contractor. I can't comment on what it's like a permanent who wants to climb the corporate ladder.
Official response from AGL Energy
5 October 2017
Thank you for sharing this feedback of your time with us! We have a number of contractors working for AGL on a regular basis and these sort of opportunities do not go unnoticed. Cheers, Jordan
working in a great organisation, great leadership, and a fantatsic people culture. great rewarding opportunities to build on your chosen career
I have worked across two different teams during which I developed my SQL and Unica skills and gained experience across all Marketing functions
Pros
Development
Cons
Unable to retain talent
Answering inbound calls from existing AGL customers assisting with payment extensions, billing enquiries and solar enquiries. Target-based role, in which I have succeeded in every metric expected of me; including Average Handling Time, Compliance/Quality of Call, and Sales. Have been utilized in a side-by-side Mentoring role, in a position where I give feedback and mentor new consultants during their initial period of call taking.
Pros
Employee engagment, ongoing coaching sessions to clear up any skill gaps and developmental opportunities.
Cons
Job role not challenging enough for myself.
I am most grateful to for a great Career & my Achievements , I gained throughout my 26years and 2months employed with AGL Energy Limited. unfortunately for me , with a major infrastructure, my role was made redundant . I LOVED my work with PASSION, my day was full in more ways than one, however for me , it did not feel like work , its because I LOVED WHAT I WAS DOING , providing a service of high standard and quality at all times, to the CEO/MD , BOARD OD DIRECTORS , EXECUTIVE TEAM AND VIP GUEST the list goes on , I LOVE AND MISS my co-workers , which some of their roles were made redundant too. I love a challenge, each day and week was a challenge , which I love , the most enjoyable part of my job , Accomplishing my daily goals and challenges , = JOB SATISFACTION!!!!!!!!!!!
Pros
great benifts and training with courses on a yearly basics
Cons
Nil !!!!!!!!!!
  1. Employee Reviews