Alcoa
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Alcoa Employee Reviews

Australia60 reviews

3.6Work–Life Balance

Found 60 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,988 reviews

Challenging work with a great bunch of people

Hydraulic maintenance supervisor provides a range of challenges with no 2 days ever being the same. Great bunch of people from management down, both production and maintenance crews are very helpful and great to work with.There is abit of a communication barrier between Alcoa and contractors I.E get to site for a planned job only to find out it was re-scheduled with out warning.

Pros

Challenging

Cons

Communication with contractors

Poor business culture, dangerous refinery.

I was working for an engineering consultant at the Pinjarra Refinery. My client focal points were very inexperienced, demonstrated zero respect for the consultant's personnel, and seemed preoccupied with achieving personal incentivsation goals for themselves and their manager, rather than attempting to achieve outcomes for the betterment of the business.

Pros

9 day fortnight

Cons

Aggressive culture, didn’t appear to desire a respectful and harmonious relationship, that benefited both Alcoa and the consultant.

Best job I ever had.

The work can be hard physical and mental but the best place I have worked. If I didn't have to leave for family reasons I would still be there. Would love to be back at Wagerup as it was a great place to be.

Pros

Good work culture and family friendly.

Cons

Looking back I would now say none.

Productive, professional place to work

I really enjoyed working at Alcoa, the environment, autonomy, variety and the people made it a great experience. I was only on contact, so left to accept a full-time permanent role elsewhere.

Pros

Professional

Cons

Contract Position only

Good Perks but a completely disorganised organisation

Took me about seven weeks to have a proper operating system in order for me to conduct daily working activities. Leisure Day off and Working Hours are very good however the management culture is horrid. Toxic. Multiple systems required to conduct activities no centralised system. Hours on end completing work outside of working hours only to not be recognised. Really enjoyed some of the team members but others were allowed to thrive with their bullying and favoritism. Would strongly recommend to look at other options before working for this organisation.

Pros

Leisure Day Off one a month, generous salary and bonus

Cons

No recognition, Favouritism and Bullying encouraged to take place

Alcoa review

Working as a contractor at alcoa has been a great experience and has allowed me to have good connections and understand what it’s like to work as a trade person.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Long 12 hour shifts

What does this mean?

Secure company, reasonably well paid, opportunities for advancement. Position I held (Process Co-Ordinator) was stressful but could also be enjoyable with teamwork. Denis Coombe

Good culture within the workgroups, close knit teams

Work crews stick together and get along with each when there isn’t a back stabber on the crew. Excellent work life balance and great life style. Sometimes the upper levels of management have unrealistic expectations and they push the crew supervisors a little too much.

Pros

Excellent work life balance

Cons

Unrealistic expectations from management

Great place to work, excellent work/life balance. Team members were great to work with also very helpful. and the Supervisor and Manager were also quite good to work under

Awesome company

Would go back if opportunity arrise great company great friendly people always helpful. Pay was fantastic. Canteen food was cheap and good veracity. Management always helpful.

Great.

Best job ive ever had. Thoroughly enjoyed my time there, unfortunately I was only a temp. I've tried several times over the years to get my old position back!

Reason why i left

Was working at pinjarra for years on shift work then, They changed our shift roster to monday to fridays and we took had a large pay drop. So I quit the company

Good Job.

It was a good job, hard work in approx 50degree heat everyday.. But the team was great and unfortunately the closure is the only reason I'm still not there

Great workplace

The environment is fantastic and as an apprentice you're given every opportunity to see as much as possible across the site and work with tradespeople who have a wealth of knowledge

Very rewarding

Time spent at Wagerup proved to be knowledge expanding and challenging resulting in an increase in skills and character strengthening. I got to sling spanners as well as operating the franna and humma cranes which kept me switched on and busy. I worked at Mt Isa mines as a trainee pump fitter 20yrs ago servicing and maintaining the same type of pumps (warman) so it was great to refresh and build more skills in this area.

Would work there again

I would work there again. The union looked after everyone and got us great benefits. The roster was awesome and allowed a perfect work life balance!!!

Alcoa is a terrible place to work.

The company exists in the dark ages and is led by the worst management I have ever experienced. It is a dangerous environment, made worse by an autocratic management culture which allows and supports bullying of workers and contractors alike.

Pros

There are none

Cons

Management and workplace culture

Stable and secure company to work for.

Alcoa is a professional Company who prides themselves on presenting their corporate image in a high moral and ethical manner. Their committment to the environment and the community is unwaivering. Alcoa take care of their people and provide numerous support programmes for all.

Pros

Job Security

Cons

Approval process long winded.

Great if you want a Monday to Friday role

Spectacular location if you want a Monday to Friday job. Even though the company has trimmed due to the drop in Alumina prices world wide, they are still keen to embrace new technology and provide opportunities for people to excel in there chosen career.

Pros

Fantastic location

Cons

Expectations for extra hours

Great Management team willing to adopt change.

Managed team of Lube Technicians to perform lubrication task across the refinery. Learned about the opportunities and the need to improve all lubrication schedules across all of the refinery OC's. Management of OC's aware of challenges and need for change for lubrication needs within their own OC's. Work place culture/attitude at the time was low due to union negotiations. Making contact with Management, to many meetings for them to attend. The positive willingness to adapt / change lubrication programs and seeing the benefits.

Pros

Challenging production work environment

Cons

Travel by car from bunbury on daily basis

Productive relaxed environment

Great team environment. Everyone involved in working out solutions to get the job done. Focus on continuous improvement and employees provided with empowerment and autonomy to get the job done. Additional super an option too and company's rewards with performance bonus. Regular Onsite physio - a genuine and authentic focus on safety. Constant training and development opportunities

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alcoa. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Alcoa