Alcoa Employee Reviews

Found 45 reviews matching the search See all 1,720 reviews
Alcoa is a great place to work.
Laboratory Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pinjarra, WA17 June 2015
Alcoa is a very family orientated place of employment.
Alcoa is recognised as a leader in environment, health and safety within the mining industry and known to deliver best value and highest quality bauxite.
Alcoa value and focus on teamwork, transparency and respect in all of their workforce.
Learning the Bayer Liquor process of mining has been of great value to my career.
Pros
Great team of people to work with.
productive and fun company
Machine Operator / Tester (Former Employee) –  Yennora, NSW19 February 2015
Productive, good working overall condition in the company with continuous learning opportunity. Unfortunately with great competition in the global market.
Pros
productive, fun and continious learning
Cons
tough competetion in global market
Dynamic & exciting work environment with dedicated employees in a high risk workplace.
Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  Yennora, NSW19 January 2015
A typical day at work could be well structured as per plan or schedule or may require dynamic planning on investigations or safety alert follow ups.
My learning's in this role have been many, from confined space entry to detailed management system auditing, detailed investigations to failure modes and effects analysis, setting departmental EHS year plans to behavioural safety coaching in the moment or training in a class room situation right through to learning's on environmental monitoring to licensing agreements.
With a dedicated management hierarchy, challenges where met with well detailed planning, implementation and review.
With a great team environment with all striving for a dedicated outcome for the site, working with my peers was nearly always a pleasure.
The hardest part of the job was being on call 24/7. With a work crew on site 363 days a year on a 24hr basis, 2am wake up calls could be disruptive for a young family, but saying this, I found this is a better situation than walking into the day blind.
The most enjoyable part of the job was satisfaction in seeing plans implemented and achieving expectations, this was done through detailed target setting as per the directed site plan.
Pros
Strong safety culture
Cons
Old site requiring continual upkeep
If Alcoa hadn't closed down, I would have been happy to continue working there as a Receptionist
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Pt Henry, Moolap, Victoria22 November 2014
I felt the company was very professional and strictly followed Work Safety and OH &S principles with continued training in place for staff. There was a high level of respect among staff at all levels and I felt that work, family and life was well balanced.
great place to work overall
mill operator (Current Employee) –  point herny rd point henry ( near Moolap)19 November 2014
Great place to work, would have helped if some of the bosses and engineers listened to the guys on the floor with years of experience regard issues with the machines. Was a family company up till the last year once the shutdown was announced then it became a not so nice place to work. Made main life time friends and had many happy times there.
start the day with a toolbox meeting to discuss issues from previous shift, up coming work on the machines and any crew absenteeism. next head out to your machine and do preshift checks to ensure it was ok to run, talk to coworkers to see how the felt and how there machine is going. hardest part was when your machine broke down and large bits of aluminium got stuck in the mill and we had to man handle them out, most enjoyable part was producing quality coild hour after hour, shift after shift.
Pros
days off during the week
Cons
12 hour shift
A daily saftey meeting and then complete all designated jobs.
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  geelong, vic9 November 2014
A typical day at work would be everyone in the area would go to a safety meeting in the morning to talk about our jobs for the day and picking one of them jobs deemed to be the highest risk, or the high risk task of the day. The job would be discussed in greater detail and we would go through methods to lower the risk of that job.
We would also discuss any overnight issues and if something has happened to the bog equipment.
I would then go off and complete my jobs for the day.
At the end of each job I done I would go and see my tradesman and start my next job.
Pros
A+ saftey
Cons
some of the systems of alcoa were inefficent
job with opportunity for skill improvment
Plant Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Kwinana6 November 2014
daily jobs varied. learned alot about the alumina industry and different materials and processes. a safety culture was also strengthened whilst working with CECK in ALCOA. Management was very unorthodox but easy to deal with. Co workers were were friendly and hard working, a good senior worker program was in place to make it easier for new workers. the hardest part of the job was when maintaining the plant doing it in the heat, due the the extensive personal protective equipment needed. The most enjoyable part of this job was the skills learnt .
Pros
lots of skills learnt, pay, awareness of safety
Cons
dangerous work
Productive big focus on the Environment
Assistant Environmental Technician (Current Employee) –  Dwellingup, WA25 October 2014
Feeling of fulfilment working to put something back after the mining is completed I have gained a great deal of experience in this Job. My employer is very Safety conscious
Pros
Environment that I work in
Cons
No Job role progression
I work as a Refractory Equipment manager
REFRACTORY EQUIPMENT MANAGER - Ingot Mill (Current Employee) –  Geelong5 October 2014
I work as part of a team of Equipment managers consisting of 2 x Fitters, 2 x Electricians, 1 x Boilermaker and 1 x Rigger. I maintain all refractory linings in the Cast house including Furnaces and Launders. I also supervise Refractory contractors when we have shutdowns. I really enjoy the comradery and I have met most of my closest friends through work. Alcoa Rolled Products are also a very family orientated company which has allowed me to work and have a very happy family life as well. Unfortunately AARP will be ceasing their operation here in Geelong on December 19th 2014 which will be a fairly emotional day as I have spent 90% of my working life here
I worked in the Smelter area of Alcoa
Refractory Bricklayer (Former Employee) –  Geelong, VIC5 October 2014
I started my Refractopry career in 1981 with Alcoa and 6 months of the year in the Carbon plant and the remaining 6 months in the Cast house. I worked in a small gang consisting of 2 x Bricklayers and 1 x Labourer as part of a larger group of Bricklayers and Labourers. The hardest part of the job was the demolition of refractory and the most enjoyable part was meeting a lot of work mates and forming long term close friendships with some as well
poor management ,production orientated ,reactive
Supervisor Mechanical Transfield (Former Employee) –  Pinjarra, WA27 August 2014
poor focus on safety very reactive management poor communication between management and contractor
Pros
chalenges
Cons
contract maintenance casual
fun place to work
Mechanical / Crusher Operator (Current Employee) –  point henry victoria12 July 2014
Great place to work fantastic crew of guys pity they are closing down
Pros
great shift roster
Cons
hot dusty
Crews good to work with, Management not so much
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Victoria, ENG6 July 2014
Was a good place to work.
Last 10 years lots of management turn over, with no successive planning. therefor inexperienced leadership that has nearly all experience lost.
Good people to work with who have can do attitude
MATERIALS DELIVERY TECHNICAL OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Geelong,Vic26 June 2014
A typical day at work consists of isolating pieces of equipment for contractors to perform planned maintenance tasks, co-coordinating reactor & dense phase pipe overhaul schedules, management of alumina from holding silos, through feed systems to potrooms.

l have learnt good people & organisational management skills.

Built good relationship with management through coordinating plant operations, safety forums & budget planning

Built good work relationships with fitters , electricians, plant operators & management through management of planned work & breakdowns.

Management of maintenance of equipment under very tight budget restraints.

Achievement of zero injuries for the contractor work l manage , knowing that we have focused on SWI's & completed high risk task assessment prior to job start, ensure to planned activities are carried out safely & efficiently group that l manage.
l
Pros
Gift vouchers for implementation of employee suggestions
Cons
Long hours to get worek completed
Good entry level position into mining industry
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Huntly,19 May 2014
12 month traineeship operating haul,trucks, loaders, water trucks etc.
Good work life balance and training. Challenging to learn new skills but rewarding. Good co-workers
Pros
Start in mining indusrty
Cons
Repetitive
Excellent Company with strong people values
Digestion Operations Manager, (Former Employee) –  Pinjarra, Western Australia5 February 2014
A great Organisation which provided me with many years of opportunities to grow and develop up to and including overseas opportunities.

Very good Management

A good teamwork environment.
Pros
Very good Organisation with strong people values
Cons
Non I can think of
Alcoa Precipitation Department
Process Controller - Precipitation Department (Former Employee) –  Alcoa Pinjarra Alumina Refinery30 January 2014
I was responsible for the allocation of jobs to be achieved and finished in a timely and safe manner. These jobs varied depending on a day or night shift.
I was also responsible for liaising between work crew and management, ie chemical engineer and area supervisors on a daily basis.
I had a good working relationship with all of my colleagues and have always been very good at working within a team environment.
The hardest part of my job would have been identifying and solving issues that arose from any breakdowns that occurred within the Precipitation Department ie; precipitation tank taking its self out of service due to a build up of solids within the tank
The most enjoyable part of my job would of been knowing that my input into problem solving allowed for the department to run according to department expectations, therefore making our shift run smoothly for all crew involved.
This company has a extremely good balance between work & family time,which inturn creates a productive company.
Mechanical Fitter.Refinary Maintenance. (Former Employee) –  South West of Western Australia.10 December 2013
Every day at work consists of a pre start with all my team members discussing the day to day work & any safety concerns. We then get divided into teams & given work packs which explains the jobs, materials & parts required. If there is any problems or safety concern we see the team leaders.
It is extremely hard to get full time work at Alcoa Wagerup as it has a good work environment with good rosters & days off to suit everyone. I get on really well with my co-workers with no talking behind anyone's back which creates a harmonious work place. Everyone is always learning at work with programs that keep us up to date with latest technologies & development programs. The hardest part of the job is waiting for work when there is no breakdowns or scheduled maintenance. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the team members as we all get on & enjoy our work. This makes coming to work an enjoyable experience.
Pros
There is a very good afordable canteen for lunch & tea breaks.
FMCG manufacturer, global company, located in Clayton Vic
Engineer - Full Time (Former Employee) –  Clayton Vic8 December 2013
Varied and interesting work. Old machinery, lots of upkeep and maintenance.
Some development and design work.
FMCG
Makes Recoil brand wire thread inserts
great place to work and good roster
Rehab - Operation of Dozer, Grader and Wheel Dozer (Former Employee) –  Huntly, N20 August 2013
i enjoyed my time with alcoa i was taught how to operate machines from 50 ton trucks to 190 tonners, 992&993cat loaders , wa 800&900 komatsu loaders

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alcoa. Our community is ready to answer.