ALDI Australia Employee Reviews

Not good for being taught what to do on the job
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minto NSW1 April 2019
bad managment in stores. learnt not much at all, was suppose to be taught everything in the store but only did registers. Management was rude and unhelpful
Pros
it was a job
Cons
bad management
Well Organised and Productive
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW16 March 2019
It is a physical and mental job, and if you don't balance this with rest, you can suffer.
I have learned that Aldi has everything organised right down to the minute detail. Everything is procedure and policy. Which i believe is why they are so successful.
The workplace culture has it's ups and downs as any job does. I enjoy people so for me the culture is great.
Hardest part of the job is the rotating roster, you could work day and night in one week, which can mentally and physically affect you negatively, and makes it hard to have a work/life balance.
The most enjoyable part of the job would be the friends you make working there. Everyone seems to be down to earth and easy to get along with. The company bigwigs are very nice people and will say HI and shake your hand regardless of your position. I believe they understand those that work in the store work hard & they will say they appreciate that. If only the appreciation was reflected in the paye, then I'd say more staff would be happier. But it is nice to be told thank-you. Overall not a bad place to work. I enjoyed my time there.
Pros
People you work with
Cons
No work life balance
Hard work
Ware house assistant (Current Employee) –  Brendale QLD8 February 2019
I enjoy working as a team and communicate with team leader followed instructions and do my job best as it can be no matter how hard it gets or how bussy its its my responsibility to do so and be on time for it and get to it as well as working with other employees
Pros
Yes free vegetables and free coffee and sometimes cans of drinks
Cons
Yes overtime as sometimes gets bussy
Fast paced job
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  Victoria8 January 2019
A day at ALDI usually begins early hours of the day to run the new load. Stores then open and it is go, go, go. The days usually fly by as there is always a lot to get done and with such a streamlined team everyone knows how to do everything so it is easier to delegate tasks. I have learned how to think on my toes and make quick decisions if any problem occurs, being in a fast paced environment as a manger this is a must. The most enjoyable part of the job is the close friends you make at any store you go to, everyone is just so welcoming and friendly. The hardest part of the job in the streamlined team as in times of unexpected rushes you can be understaffed thus making it very hard to complete important jobs and you have to be everywhere at once.
Pros
Good pay, days go quick
Cons
Long hours for management, rarely getting weekends off
Good peopl
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW1 January 2019
Loved working here, first job ive ever did in my life. Good vibes love the people around and the supervisor, everyone was easy to get along at the container side of aldi
High expectations no reward or thanks
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  Melbourne Eastern Suburbs VIC31 December 2018
Management have high expectations to meet time frames. Even if you meet them consistently there is no acknowledgment or reward.
Put simply if you aren't prepared to make Aldi your life then don't bother. Money is good but you will earn every cent of it. Zero flexibility for shift times.
Store Assistant - Minto (Current Employee) –  NSW17 December 2018
Work Life balance is HORRIBLE.
If you love weekend work, friday night work, early mornings, this is the job for you!

Customers get so frustrated with no specials.

Management so stressed 99.9% of the time which take it out on you.
Pros
Holding specials for yourself, 8 hour gap between shifts
Cons
All of it
Stay away unless u like Slave Labour
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC17 November 2018
Be prepared to work like a Slave. Load & unload Stock load Salvage unload Salvage from each store do this for up to 6-7 Supermarkets in one night. Promised the World when you start on Agency rates that you will be offered Full time after 3 mths and a Family Friendly Roster Of 4 on 3 off All is Lies.
Some Employees had been there 9-12 mths then finally offered Full time only to be told they have to work rotating Rosters on Nightshift with only one or two days off between shifts.
Way too much Work for the $ the Drivers are Burnt out.
Stay away don’t waste ur time
Pros
Good Warehouse
Cons
Slave Labour one rule for some another for others
Good job
Store Assistant and Health and Safty (Current Employee) –  Perth WA17 November 2018
Is a good job. Pay good. There's always been good happy to help managers. And my training was good as well. There are happy to try give a work life balance
Pros
Staff
Cons
Not good career opportunities
Rewarding however very demanding job
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW19 October 2018
I really enjoyed the variety of the role, however it was exhausting. The other store assistants were really great people to work with, however the management was very corrupt and the manager did some questionable things, however this has changed since.
One of the worst companies in Australia
Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  Queensland17 October 2018
I've worked for ALDI for 4 years. At first it was great for the money as it was my first job, and the managment at my store was excellent, everyone put in the effort to make it better for the team, strong sense of belonging and that they cared.

Well, that was a load of (insert profanities). I've worked in multiple stores since then and for some reason people that cant do their management roles (in store and external management)fair rostering, having enough staff to back up people that cant make their shift for any reason, correct or any training as promised/discussed.

I have worked so hard and have and incredible relationship with my customers and put them first. Because thats what brings business. If only ALDI as a whole put their warehouse and store workers first and properly cared for them in all aspects of work and LIFE, gave promotions out of perfomance not weather someone likes you or not, promoted internally, not hiring baby faced bookworms straight from uni as area managers or anything else that requires real life and people skills and experience. There is way to much wrong with how this company works.

At first I had a reasonable work/life balance, I now have no time to look after myself or pursue my own passions and goals. I've had people around me move into jobs that are way more rewarding and have so many insentives and programs to help their staff. But they do a quarter of the amount of work get paid just aswell too. And to add I was on some of my annual leave which was very much needed. But aparently its ok to try and get me to work?

So ALDI please explain
  more... how your "above industry standard" pay rate I'snt just a bribe to treat your staff like robots with unachievable expectations, give them no work/life balance, offer no incentives, offer promotions out of personal not performance based merit. ALDI has the potential to be an absolute mega force in the supermaket industry, I've seen it done on a store to store basis. But theres so much difference between stores that it can never be achieved.

10/10 wouldn't recommend to anyone for any reason.
Pros
Not much
Cons
Worst supermarket to work for.
Fine
Trainee Manager & Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  qld16 October 2018
Given the chance to progress, i took it and was cared for and promoted. left because of International travel. i also enjoyed the flexabilty and competitive pay.
Awful
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dromana VIC16 October 2018
Won free tickets on a holiday, asked for time of 3 months ahead of time told I couldn't use any of my leave even though I hadn't used any, Never enough staff, lots of schoolyard gossip. Get yelled at if sick. Can't have any time off from November to February.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
never any time off.
Productive Environment
Store Assistant and Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Riverwood NSW1 October 2018
Productive Environment
Dealing with customers
Working in a team
Developing communication and leadership skill
Working in fast pace environment
Managing and Operating store
Voice picker (Former Employee) –  Prestons NSW27 September 2018
Loved working there, everyone is head dwn and into their job.
Payrate could be abit more for the expectations of hardwork they expect from every individual.
Section leaders were cool very firm and onto it.
Pickrate is what did my head in but overall I did ok.
Clean lunchroom and can’t say much about the warehouse but they might need a lot more cleaners. Overall it was a friendly environment to work in. Only downfall was working weekends.
Pros
Perfect hours
Cons
No one talks
Thoroughly enjoy working for Aldi
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Garden City QLD25 September 2018
Aldi has such a brilliant way of running the business so that newbies and management alike are able to step into most roles and take up the slack. This does away with the Us Vs Them mentality that I have experienced elsewhere and everyone works together as a team to get the job done - and tend to enjoy it at the same time.

After the typical 3-4 months training period you are set up to to be able to work in pretty much any Aldi store world wide which is a wonderful opportunity for those who love to travel.

If you are career minded there is plenty of opportunity for advancement and further training.

A typical day at work could involve anything from working on til (customer service) filling shelves before and after hours (as well as during), decarding the store (getting rid of empty boxes) building catalogue specials out the back in the warehouse, checking dates for product freshness, cleaning and tidying, and much more. There is always plenty to do and the job is never boring or monotonous.

I heartily recommend working for this great company as they have integrity, care for their employers work life balance and you will truly get out at least as much as you put into it.
Pros
A motivating TEAM atmosphere plus access to fantastic weekly specials
Cons
It can be physically demanding so keep your strength up!
Micro Management starts from the Top
Store Manager - Full Time (Former Employee) –  Sydney michinbury23 September 2018
Worst career choice anyone can imagine. Don’t waste your life with this company. They treat you like no good after a few years you realise your wasting your career choices with this company. I would never recommend anyone thinking about a job with this company.
Pros
Only good thing is the pay
Cons
Executive never want to listen to
Great pay but think twice...
Retail assistant (Current Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD21 September 2018
Typical day of work at Aldi starts off great as you get to interact with customers, but then becomes long, repetitive and drudgy as the clock ticks towards 10pm and you are required to run several tonnes of load to the shelves. If you can't do a double pallet in the allotted time (about 20 minutes) you are usually shamed and blamed in front of the other employees by management. That is not a concern as much as they are usually worn out and lifeless by this time.

10 pm will arrive and nothing happens, they expect you to keep working as you prepare the whole store for the next day between about 3 staff as the manager sits in the office monitoring your progress via the security cameras. Contrary to Queensland law, they will never ask you to stay past your rostered hours, just assume that the store is more important than your life or family and treat you as a automaton who is expected to do a 2 hours job in 40 minutes.

The morning shifts are a little but better as this part is done early and they allow you to leave on time. But many a time they will ask you to stay later if your shift ends between twelve because our staff is riddled with injuries and sickness... I wonder why... Will often get calls on my days off, (which are often days apart, with a manager expecting me to come in at the drop of a dime.

Don't expect two days off in a row, your roster will look more like

Monday - 2pm to 10pm (usually between 10 or midnight, again without permission, this goes for the rest of the days I am about to list, so add this onto the rest.)
Tuesday - 6pm to 10pm (or later)
  more...
Wednesday - Day off (if not called in to work due to injury or sickness)
Thursday - 6am to 2pm
Friday - 2pm to 10pm (or later)
Saturday - Day off (wait! I got a weekend day off?! I might make plans if I'm not called in... oh wait)
Sunday - 6am to 2pm (sorry I couldn't make it on saturday, I had to be up at 4:45am)

If you like money, getting home close to midnight because you were held back without permission, don't mind being treated with a lack of respect, consideration or dignity and can persist with lingering, suspicious pains in your joints that don't feel like your run of the mill muscle soreness, but pre cursors to more long term issues, this is the job for you! Apply and conform within! We will tattoo your barcode and employee unit number in a discrete location!

Seriously, some of the co workers and customers are great, even some of the managers are great, the higher up ones are stressed and disrespectful and the company culture is shocking.
Pros
Good pay, good co workers, get to interact with lots of people.
Cons
Bad hours, no consideration for your health, social or family life, joint issues, lack of unionization, another faceless corporation.
I very much disliked working for Aldi a lot.
Store assistant / supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ipswich QLD11 September 2018
Horrible place to work, they over work the workers and under pay. They run on strict dead lines that nearly seems impossible to meet sometimes. They expect all their workers to run at the exact same pace and be capable of all the same things. Have no consideration for their staffs well being or health and WASTE ALOT of food and clothes that could be donated. Instead they through clothes into the bin because the tag is off or it’s fallen out of the packet. They throw trolleys full of bread away everyday because of their shelf policies.
Pros
2 lunch breaks
Cons
Everything else
working for aldi was the best thing ever happened to me
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  bribane4 September 2018
I am very hard working, always aim to get things done, very friendly

and customer focused.

I always feel good about myself when I am heading home after work

knowing that I had made a lot of customers feeling satisfied and

happy
Pros
very good with people
Cons
I sometimes over worked myself

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALDI Australia. Our community is ready to answer.