ALDI logo
ALDI
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

ALDI Employee Reviews

2.8Work–Life Balance

Found 398 reviews matching the searchSee all 8,123 reviews

Fast paced and decent pay, higher management expect too much.

I would recommend working at ALDI as the pay is decent and a lot better than most retail jobs. It was very fast paced which can be good. Although, the managers (area managers and above) expect too much of the store workers. Higher management are rarely made up of people who have actually worked in an ALDI store - so they have no idea what it’s truly like. They want everything done yesterday, and although staff are under the pump every day - nothing is usually good enough. Not to mention that they are constantly cutting store persons hours, which makes work stressful almost every day.

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

Expectations

Hard work.

The job is demanding and tough. You will get paid well but at what cost... Your mental health. The job can be fun at times as you work with small teams and form Great bonds.

Pros

Pays well, great staff

Cons

Reduction of hours but work harder, long hours, out of touch area managers.

Fast Paced workplace

Fast paced workplace but a fun place to work as you have to do everything that you need to do at a supermarket. Jobs including shelf refill, customer service, ware house and inventory management and so many other things need to be done at Aldi.

Still in recovery from this job

It’s taken me a few years to be able to write this review because working for Aldi in their upper management was truly one of the most traumatic experiences of my life. Management operates within an autocratic, toxic space that favours empty suits who just want to see a big pay check at the end of every month. I am truly convinced that anyone with a slither of personality or an ounce of ethics is unsuitable for a management role with ALDI. This extends from Store Managers up to Directors. If you are someone who will work ridiculous hours each week for an above-industry paycheck, and happily lose your soul in the process this job is for you. Toxic corporate culture on steroids.

Pros

Salary and benefits

Cons

Literally everything else

Very challenging and not for the faint hearted, weak or lazy people. Always on the go

Certainly a very challenging job. You need the strength to run loads at required amount of minutes per pallet.. not for the faint hearted. Team work is a must to work together to accomplish daily task

Pros

Pay is great

Cons

Dealing with crazy customers are frustrating

You get out what you put in

Tough job physically and mentally but is genuine, rewarding and caring towards staff. Culture differs widely from store to store - good stores are worth their weight (or mass?) in gold!!!

Pros

Always busy and lots of opportunity to meet fantastic internal and external stakeholders

overworked and understaffed

the place does pay slightly higher than most other food retail places, wouldn't recommend working there for more than a year. is a useful tool to help you save up, but that amount of work and lack of work life balance isn't healthy long term

Four years amazing, 18 months horrible

I’ve been there 5 1/2 years, the first 4 were amazing, best job I’ve ever had, pride in workplace, amazing team and job satisfaction.Last year or so, horrible. Covid hit, we weren’t receiving specials but they kept advertising them, limiting customers but they are trying to bring in huge crowds with air fryers. Zero communication from Aldi to customers AND staff makes irate customers taking it out on store staff.Now workload is increased, less staff on each shift and less hours in a day to do the work.Area manager does not care about workers at all, don’t care if you get injured due to unobtainable time given to do tasks.Have actually said it’s cheaper for an employee to get injured then a customer. Encourage double handling which will wreck your back.They have gone downhill so fast in employee satisfaction.Taken away the right to have a months worth of rosters in advance, now only allowed one week.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Head office, warehouse and area manager

Most incompassionate place I've ever worked!

I always wanted a job at Aldi, so I was extremely excited when I commenced employment there. Since I started working there I noticed most managers and even staff are not as supportive as they make it to be. I felt extremely overworked and overlooked as an employee not only from fellow staff but also from senior management. Some managers are extremely rude and incompassionate. There were occasions where I would call in sick for work, and instead of being advised to seek medical help, I would be asked very rudely "What is wrong with me" by my senior manager. This is one of the many unfair experiences I had working for Aldi.

Pros

Received Aldi Gift cards during pandemic

Cons

Rude, lazy, inconsiderate workplace

Fun place where any one want to be and flexible

Easy place to communicate with ne wee people and get experience about fast working in a busy hours .Good management and help each other to overcome any problem

Pros

Fast working ability which makes more confident

Jobs at ALDI

See more jobs

Whoever outlasts gets the promotion

Great salary and benefits but no room for any thought or creativity in the role. Subservience is valued over thinking for yourself. Be prepared to clean freezers with a toothbrush in your suit and tie and working up to an 18 hour day (in extreme cases). A culture of presenteeism rather than efficiency which is very strange for a German company. If you are quite happy being a work horse, given specific tasks and constantly referring to a book for how to approach every situation without any personality, then this could be for you.

Pros

Great salary and benefits

Cons

Management culture of presenteeism, vs efficient and effective work practices. Bullying culture in some Area Managers

Amazing DC

My experience working in Australia is around four years in Logistics area as a supervisor responsible for training and organizing all employees to work in the logistics and supply chain industry. Started a project and develop an android app, a product destined to management, organize and planning all the work ambient known as "Second Mind" recognizing any information added or modified and automatically update this information to the system.

Great pay, everything else terrible.

I worked as a warehouse operator at the Stapylton DC.Pay was great.Most incompetent management I've ever seen in a DC. No organization, poor communication, no traffic management, little enforcement of safety practices and practically no training.I also experienced bullying from management and other staff.If you are new to the workforce, and can keep your head down without voicing any concerns then this is a job for you. The moment you become less than an ideal worker, they look for ways to get rid of you. If you have ever worked in a professional warehouse environment then this place will frustrate you incredibly.

Pros

Great pay

Cons

Bullying, No training, incompetent management

Working for Aldi

Would never work for Aldi again, they had a very bad probation scheme. After the The first review they wanted me to improve on certain areas but they were always coming off rude to me if I did something wrong etc. They made me feel insecure and ended up getting anxiety every time I went to work which has never happened to me. The manager had bipolar issuers as one minute she would like you the next she wouldn’t. (The whole team would say this) Although at the time they would say they are there to help and be really nice to my face but in reality it was a mainly girls team and they were all competing against each other trying to be the best. Very unhealthy and toxic. Basically if your struggling they will set you up for failure. They don’t want to see you get better you just have to be perfect when you first start. I ended up finding a new job which I’m very happy with. But I’m sure this isn’t every ALDI store.

Pros

Salary...

Cons

Bad managers

Good working there opportunity for growth when you work hard and well with team good management The wage was okay for casual worker’s and even better if you got a permanent role

Pros

Good hours

Cons

Not sure

Worst company you could ever work for!!

Don’t even bother applying at this horrible company! No structure at all, bad HR, no work/life balance, expects you to do everything at once while the managers are in the back room on their phones.Your time and effort would be much more appreciated anywhere else but here.

Pros

Cons

No structure, bad management, work like a robot.

Relaxed, but very busy day

The job is not hard to do but it is hard work. Aldi have a great work process that they adhere to. This process works, making the job so much easier and once you know the process everything falls into line and your day is a lot more structured and allows you to carry out your duties without wasting time doing tasks that are not relevant. Be prepared for hard work and a very varied day as you will be required to multitask.

Pros

No two days are the same, so boredom is not an issue

Cons

Depending on how busy it is and the length of your shift it can be hard to get all tasks completed

it's the longest company i ever worked for

I stayed as long as i could. What was used to be my playground became so physically demanding for me. I have worked with some great people....some I know will be life-long friends. I cried when i left. Other than my relationship with God, my family, some friends, and my deceased partner...my relationship with Aldis one of the longest.

Pros

Work life balance...good paying job

Cons

Physical intensity of the job

Overall Garbage

Working at Aldi was NEVER what was described. Management only care about money, not about staff. Equipment is always broken, yet you're expected to perform to peak levels with substandard tools. Time given to pack shelves is equivalent to slave driving. Time given to scan at registers is even worse. Be a robot, don't engage, don't be human. Wprse place I've ever worked.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Hours, tasks, culture

I quit before i cried infront of anyone

I quit before my 90 day probationary was finished. The most stressful job I've ever had. Everyone gets annoyed with you if you don't do things flawlessly straight away and store managers think its perfectly acceptable to comment on your fitness. The fleet of 20 yr old managers won't include you in casual convos so you quickly find the newest staff to try and befriend and bounce ideas off. Plot twist. You're not actually allowed to talk to anyone. Including customers.

Pros

pay and short shifts

Cons

Short shifts also... some starting at 5pm.

easy money, poor politics

Complaints about bullying were not taken seriously. A high paying job though and always a new task to take on. Never a boring day at work. Various hours.

Cons

management
  • ALDI