ALDI Employee Reviews

Avoid if you can unless you only care about the money
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newcastle NSW22 September 2018
I’ve worked at ALDI for a few months and instantly I regret working there. The work life balance is non-exsistent, they don’t care about your private life at all, you either work at the crack of dawn (as early as 6:00am) or as late as 11pm, and then they expect you to work another 6-9 hour shift the following day. Sometimes you would spend 5 to 6 hours on the registers, the only positive of that is the fact that it’s a good way to pass the time. They also promised me that you get every second weekend off, but I haven’t had the weekend off since my FIRST WEEK!!! Their time expectations are unrealistic, they expect you to run at least 3 large loads of products in 1 hour, ALL BY YOURSELF!!! The management is tolerable, some managers are a lot nicer than others. The employees are okay, however, some can be rather righteous and up themselves if you don’t know something or do something wrong, so they do make you feel stupid which doesn’t help your self-confidence nor self esteem, you also struggle to fit in with the team, because all they talk about is work and nothing else. The registers are old and out-of-date, they don’t even have a change calculator, so if you end up losing money from your till, the managers instantly put the blame on you. And the last point I want to highlight is the fact that a lot of their procedures and methods are rather pedantic and over-the-top, a lot of them are unnecessary and time-consuming, which is ironic considering they care a lot about time. I could go on and talk about a few more issues but this review would go on forever. On the whole, if ALDI  more... is your only option (like it was for me) then by all means take it for the money but don’t work there for too long, if another offer arises whilst you’re working at ALDI, TAKE IT!!!  less
Pros
Good pay (you definitely earned it!)
Cons
Promises and benefits unfulfilled, long hours, no work-life balance, anti-social and “rude” employees, old methods.
Highly Recommended
Deputy Manager (Current Employee) –  Mudgee NSW17 September 2018
Very physically demanding role, however it is also diverse enough that you can have some downtime to rest.
Management in Mudgee are very supportive and know how to help you grow.
Flexible working hours
PICK/PACKER (Former Employee) –  Minchinbury NSW6 September 2018
A great place to work.
Aldi gave me benefits of getting my first aid certificate and forklift license, which was paid for by the company.
People I worked with were a great team, as for management, sometimes was difficult.
Pros
Great hours
Great workplace culture
Store person (Former Employee) –  Manly NSW26 August 2018
Great work life balance. Overtime benefits. Varied shifts and superannuation. Close proximaty home, recreation, restaurants and shopping. Regular public services.
Nice people but always on call
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Miranda NSW23 August 2018
the people are lovely and management was always nice and attentive but you always felt like you were on call regardless of rostering or set hours, and there is so much theft that is out of control (customers not employees)
Pros
Manegement
Cons
pressure, job hours
I loved my job at ALDI and only wish they offered a work from home option.
EA TO PROPERTY DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Dandenong VIC19 July 2018
I loved working at ALDI. I loved my team, the work life balance and the fast pace.

You were impowered by your director every day to take initiative, own and deliver a task and to be proud of the outcome.
Feedback was always constructive.
Pros
Positive atmosphere
Cons
Red tape
fun
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gladesville NSW17 July 2018
was good job I enjoyed working for them the hours were flexible and the pay was fantastic. great job experience to have and helped me build confidence and learn new skills for futer jobs
Horrible and mentally draining
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD10 July 2018
I've been with Aldi for two long years and can't wait until my last day. This company does not care about their staff, you are nothing but a number to them. Their time expectations for running load or putting produce and meat out - or every single task in the shop, really - are extremely unrealistic to achieve unless you don't mind having sore shoulders and back and ruining your body. It is pretty much impossible to hit their time targets. And it is stressful to constantly feel as if you are not going fast enough. They don't care about your work life balance, they will put you on night shifts for two months straight, and you won't get your two days off in a row. Or your week will be a mix of 5am starts and 10pm finishes with no regard for your sleep schedule. Aldi believes they own your whole life, they do not allow you to request a certain day off a week for recreational sports etc, and will make you go on a limited roster where you are paid less than other store assistants if you need certain days or times off. You are not offered your legal 15 minute break on a 4 hour shift unless you ask for it, and there is a feeling you get that the company doesn't think a 4 hour shift deserves a break. Managers also suggest to you only taking one of your legally required breaks if the day is running behind (which is often). Working for this company has drained me mentally and physically and I would not recommend it to anyone, unless you are desperate. And even then, please don't stay for years and let Aldi own your life.
.Intense work place environment but physically beneficial and friendly atmosphere/
Deputy Manager (Current Employee) –  Fountain, AU26 June 2018
Great place to work for and a generous pay for a supermarket. Though its a very fast places company to work for and must be highly motivated and be multitasking at all times. Its can be very beneficial being able to keep fit and get to know some of the people regular customers and build close friendships with the other employees. I started here not long after finishing school and was a great company to go into to build up my confidence and communication skills with customers.
Great place to work and flexiable
Deputy Manager / Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  QLD25 June 2018
Great place to work, smaller towns have less room for career progression and more competition. Plus side you can travel just about anywhere in the world and transfer with work. Great pay check, flexible with personal problems or family concern inc, children. Always learning something new on a day to day basis and staff are motivated and happy on a daily basis.
Pros
worldwide career progression, great pay, simple work
Cons
no discounts, limited career progression in regional stores, small contracted hours
A great company to work for if you are willing to put in the effort
Deputy Manager (Current Employee) –  Sydney Western Suburbs NSW21 June 2018
A great company to work for if you are willing to put in the effort. It is hard physical work, always lots to do with strict time limits and few staff. A typical shift will be 8 hours long with early mornings, although shifts can range from 3 hours (usually to help run out stock) to 10 hours (for store managers). The company really makes you feel valued. They treat the staff well, have contract flexibility, pay well and provide plenty of opportunities to be promoted. It is great working in a close team where you know everyone and work along side them. The job can be stressful at times with so much to do, and can have phases of too many shifts and short on staff, leaving you feeling exhausted and like you have no work life balance, but that doesn't last too long and balances back.
Pros
good pay, stable job, promotion opportunities, work in a team, flexible
Cons
physical, stressful
Duties, experience, culture
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Springwood QLD20 June 2018
The experience I gained from working for Aldi Stores includes running floor duties such as chiller, stock refill, till operation and customer service end of night duties such as paper work and overall maintenance of warehouse and shop floor. The work place culture really depends on the individuals and the management, if the management is up to scratch then the work culture and environment is too I was fortunate enough to be in a healthy working environment when I started at Aldi. What I found to be the most satisfying part of the job is the customer satisfaction when regular customers kept coming back and appreciated our work and service to them.
Pros
competitive pay
Cons
work envirnment really depends on our well the managment is
Productive and fun work place
Storeman, FORKLIFT OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Brendale QLD26 May 2018
Had fun while there...Hreat friendly vibe...Team leaders were extremely helpful...Nice clean environment to work in and also it's the type of job that keeps you fit..
Pros
Free fruit
Cons
Short hours
friedly inverment to work
truck driver (Former Employee) –  Gemeente Best23 May 2018
good co workers at that time, hard work but good work.
the work times was fine, the only thing i didn't like was, every day u get an other truck, so u never can leave your things inside your truck for the next day.
Pros
cheap lunch
Cons
chance trucks every day
love working with ALDI
RETAIL ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Marrickville Metro NSW3 April 2018
*Eventually at work i can able to help a few customers, and that makes me feel really good about myself.

* I learned lots of things at work like:
# Excellent interpersonal skills.
# Effective time management skills.
# Ability to stay calm in stressful circumstances.
# Experience handling cash, debit and credit card transactions.
And so on....

* Management : It matters most in Motivation.Our manager's challenge is to figure out how to tap into that motivation to accomplish work goals. Our managers controls the key environmental factors necessary to motivate employees at Aldi.

* Workplace culture: I find Aldi is interesting place to work.It has smart uniform and very cool and friendly people to work with.

* Hardest part of the job for me is to lift the heavy weight while running the stock in the morning within limited time.

* The most enjoyable part of the job is Working alongside my colleagues who are fantastic!, and learning about new things about workplace. The best part is also losing weight.
What a joke!
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Brendale QLD15 March 2018
The way this establishment operates, they should be completely and utterly ashamed of themselves. Do yourself a favour and find a job elsewhere. The absolute best thing about working for ALDI was walking out the door and never going back.
Pros
Not many
Cons
Too many
Learnt alot about Management
Trainee Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Australia6 March 2018
I learnt a lot about working as a manager and gained alot of experience in the managing role. A typical day at work consist of 9 hour shifts 5 days a week, the hardest part about my job was trying to run a team and provide the best work experience for my staff when they came to work.
company tends to run better staff members into the ground whilst
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waringal26 February 2018
Area management was very promising with strong intelligent figures. Store management on the other hand was an absolute rabble. i had a store manager who worked over 60 hours per week and would complain that she spent so much time at work. instead of delegating tasks properly and training staff members accordingly she let the useless staff members get away with murder while the strong staff members were run into the ground. Strange enough you needed to be smart and physically strong enough to complete day to day work, which was strange as almost all the males looked like pre pubescent teens.

if you want poor work hour starting and finishing times such as 6am starts and 10 - 11pm finishes within retail this jobs perfect for you. Also get ready to work with some complete idiots as its a minimum wage job.
Pros
secure work
Cons
store managers can be a little under qualified and inexperienced
Trading Administrator (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford19 February 2018
I absolutely loved my position within ALDI. It was a really exciting place to work as we was growing into one of the top supermarkets.
I only left due to moving abroad.
Pros
Free fruit
Cons
No promotions working in office
Poor internal systems that aren't integrated but smart business otherwise
Purchasing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dandenong VIC22 January 2018
Extra holidays and a great pay rate are all well and good but you work for it and depending on the size of your team, you are expected to cover about two other peoples jobs whilst they're on annual leave meaning your doing about 3 months labour extra a year. Operations, Warehouse and Logistics are great but purchasing has a long history of dramas both internally and externally.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALDI. Our community is ready to answer.

51K