ALDI

Australia488 reviews

2.8Work–Life Balance

Found 488 reviews matching the searchSee all 10,307 reviews

hardest part of the job

meeting the pallet expectations were too hard for me to acomplish. If you think you are fast on your feet and hands, this job is for you. As this is my second job, I feel like it was good at the start until they started pushing you to meet the standards which makes coming to work stressful and at times boring when completing the same tasks again and again with no change in learning or training.

Pros

the pay, the environment/ workplace

Cons

high expectations, can be boring at times, age range of employees leading to tension or awkardness between staff

Awful company to work for long term

I have worked for Aldi for 7 years as both a store assistant and a manager. Aldi is a stressful and face paced environment. They time how fast you are at all tasks. The time given to run a pallet of stock is outdated (based on a pallet size from over 7 years ago) and hasn't been updated. Pallet sizes are now over double the size they used to be and time to run it is the same.Workplace injury is common at aldi. Staff often have back or shoulder injuries. Aldi's support for staff trying to return to work following an injury is also poor and unfair. They will not allow many employees back to work unless they have full clearance, even after the employee has been approved to return to work with modified duties (usually just till service) by a physio or doctor. Employees will have to use their own leave entitlements or go on unpaid leave even when aldi refuses return to work after approved by physio/doctor. Employees are expected to perform all tasks, lots of physical work with little to no rest. Managers are expected to only take 30 minutes break in a 10+ hour shift constantly on their feet. Sometimes managers are told to not take a break during their shift because "it's too busy."Most aldi stores require staff to be at work and clock on 10 minutes before the shift starts and begin work, however they do not pay the 10 minutes prior to shift start. If you aren't at work 10 minutes prior to shift start, you can be given a warning.Company takes advantage of workers and work them into the ground while paying unfair rates for the amount of work expected. Savings from reducing -

Pros

Will never be bored

Cons

Stressful, no worklife balance, beware of injuries

Higher pay than other retailer but too stressful

The pay is good for retail assistant but they expect a lot from the worker with bench mark requirements. Workplace injury is common when I work there.

Unpaid Labour Lol 🚩

Besties this is an official warning that the Kenmore Aldi require staff to arrive ten minutes before their shift - unpaid - and will heavily penalise you if you don’t, even though it is not a “mandatory” practice according to upper management.

Pros

Some staff are ok.

Cons

“Big Steve-o”.

Stressful

Very stressful place to work. Shifts can start at 6 am and very often they give you very short shifts, sometimes only 4 hours so you have to wake up before 5 and travel just to do this short shift.

A nightmare you just want to end

Basically you're worked to the bone - I would constantly be asked if I could skip my only break in an 9 hour shift by store management because there was too much work and too few people.Store management and higher does very little to support trainee managers or staff as you'll find during the busy days they'll be the ones who tuck tail and leave 30 mins - 1hour early leaving the trainee manager to deal with a understaffed store with little to no support. If/When the area manager shows up they'll have little to no sympathy and suggest that you have a poor work ethic and don't have things under control despite everything.A lot of people think ALDI's pay is really good however I would beg to differ. You hardly can take a break, management blames you for everything when it hits the fan, you have to be on call if someone calls in sick every single day, you'll be sent home early on days you get paid more (sundays) if you go into overtime and the simplest infraction has consequences.Overall it's just not worth the stress.

Pros

Not much really some colleagues are great

Cons

Completely incompetent managment

Gets a bit challenging at times

Most of the team members are supportive and are happy to help you, however tasks can be tricky at times. Can be physically demanding as well, and can get quite busy.

Fast paced and Manual Work

You have to be really fast paced as managers always expect you to finish quickly. Management is pretty good and people and friendly. Just remember to do things quickly.

eh very stressful

stressfull. very fast paced. expected to do 5 peopl's amount of work and for what reason? people only stay there for pay cheques. I don't wanna blame the managers because its clearly the company's rules and expectations that are flawed.

Demanding

run low staff so your always doing the job of 2 people. have to be available every single day or you won't be considered. really bad management.

Trained Monkeys can do this job :/

Work is full on, never finished because you are doing yesterday, today, tomorrow’s work. executive manager said to my boss that trained monkeys could do our job.

apply with caution

my Manager was extremely rude and not very understanding my health situation. i found that he had a lot of double standards when it came to store assistants and deputy managers working on the tills.very unrealistic time standards of running loads in the morning before the store opens to the public.found it to also be quite a toxic environment deputy managers and managers will talk to each other but not store assistants

Pros

reasonable pay

Cons

ealry mornings

Cult like Culture

Aldi is not open to new ideas or suggestions of improvement from staff. It is their way or no way. You definitely earn every dollar you make working here. The workloads are high & demanding. Due to this reason customer service must be quick & limited to allow time for all workloads& tasks to be completed by deadlines.

Great pay but very high expectations

Loved working there but involves a lot of lifting and require strength. Very fast pace and high expectations. Is stressful to meet requirements and expectations

Decent workplace culture but unrealistic expectations

The company has incredibly high KPIs that are quite unrealistic to maintain, which led to a lot of stress during the shiftHad quite a few difficult customers as well (but its retail, so somewhat expected)The roster was also pretty inflexible, and I was not told the proper procedure around submitting my availabilities and how to take time offHowever, the other staff, including the managers, were kind and always willing to answer my questionsWhen we had the chance to work together, there was a good atmosphere amongst us, but the tasks are pretty individualistic so it was rare

Okish

Its ok I guess, pay is pretty decent and decent benefits. Can be hard to keep up with time limits but doable. Customers are generally ok. Quite boring sometimes. can be intresting though.

Pros

Money

Cons

Early morning

okay pay but very fast paced

dealing with clients can be difficult sometimes co-workers are lazyshort breaks The interview process is the best part of the whole experience.Managers are nice only up until the interview process.Once hired you are just another number.

Pros

good pay

Cons

shift work long hours

Well payed

aldi payed well for the job in comparison to other supermarkets, initial training is a large amount of time on an iPad and in general the work is quite boring

Very hard work. Unrealistic benchmarks. Not much support from management.

After working for Aldi for quite a few years I honestly would not recommend this job to anyone. It is thankless and unrewarding. Management will not have your back when it comes to anything. Especially customers. You cannot be fast enough for Aldi. The benchmarks are unrealistic and ridiculous. No wonder people leave Aldi injured, it’s because instead of worrying about safety first Aldi care about how quickly everything is done.

If you want respect and a work/life balance don’t work here

Aldi can be a very toxic environment due the micromanagement and competitiveness of ALL staff to be the best. At Aldi you don’t get appreciated for your hard work instead you are only noticed when you have made a mistake. I entered Aldi into an incredible team and unfortunately had to leave to a new toxic one. All area managers walk around like they are untouchable unicorns and generally quite rude, they get a big head once they see that pay check! If you can find a store with genuine people it can be and incredible job and I did love my job when I started but then I learnt that Aldi only cares about how fast you’re going for them and nothing else. I had worked cash in hand for them I have worked 12-14 hour shifts only to be called pathetic when I took of the day for my birthday for once In the 4 years I had been there. This was also pre approved day off also. So keep that in mind if you aren’t putting Aldi above everything in your life you will be neglected. They treat you well on ly if you treat them the best.

Pros

No pros

Cons

No discounts on anything

Not a job for the weak

If your not a morning person dont work here. Shifts can start from 6am and are expected to work hard. Early shifts involved stocking heavy products on shelves and are expected to complete 3-4 loads before the store opens which is almost impossible. Aside from that managers take care of you and receive generous amounts of break-time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALDI. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare ALDI with