ALDI
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

ALDI Employee Reviews

2.8Work–Life Balance

Found 405 reviews matching the searchSee all 8,592 reviews

Fast paced and decent pay, higher management expect too much.

I would recommend working at ALDI as the pay is decent and a lot better than most retail jobs. It was very fast paced which can be good. Although, the managers (area managers and above) expect too much of the store workers. Higher management are rarely made up of people who have actually worked in an ALDI store - so they have no idea what it’s truly like. They want everything done yesterday, and although staff are under the pump every day - nothing is usually good enough. Not to mention that they are constantly cutting store persons hours, which makes work stressful almost every day.

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

Expectations

Pay is just okay, but for how hard you work you should get a lot more

Aldi is an okay placeholder job whilst you figure out what you want to do career-wise. The pay is average. Lot's of pressure on management to achieve more with less staff, and as a result, stress is often passed down. There is some opportunities to advance career-wise and with good pay, however it comes with stress and sacrifice of work-life balance. Manages are often moved around to different stores permanently on short notice. You are not paid for the time you clock on 10 minutes before or clock-off 10 minutes after your shift (Management will make you clock-off before the 10 minutes passes in order to avoid paying you extra, even if you continue to work). Expectations are often unreasonable for speed of work and you are often expected to run the entire store with 3-4 people only. Every task has a time limit and leaves zero room for error. You are regularly assessed and monitored on following procedure using security cameras. Most staff I've met from working in 4-5 different stores are all very friendly. Shifts often go quickly as there is generally a lot to do.

Pros

Always something to do, Decent pay for Assistant Managers and above, 2 breaks on 8 hour+ shifts (partially paid)

Cons

Pay not equivalent to intensity of work, Unrealistic expectations, Hard work, Quantity over quality, Treated like a number as opposed to an individual, Must have 5 days availability, Fluctuating hours based on store busy-ness, Can be stressful, Unpaid overtime

Hard work but enjoyable

Good job in a fast paced retail environment. Can work morning or night shifts. Always kept busy so no boredom. Interview process takes one month. Short breaks

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Short breaks

High performance, high pressure environment

I enjoyed my role at Aldi. I started from the bottom and made it to TSM. If you're prepared to work long hours and put in the extra hard yards, have no life and work under pressure, be prepared. Staff morale is something that needs attention. It's always unpleasant when you get a new AM every 3 years bc you don't know what their work ethic is, what are they like. And from experience, employing young students is a big no no. They lack work ethic and they don't last long. Too many sickies, lateness and excuses.

Pros

Team bonding

Cons

Long hours, staff shortage

Great place to work unless in management

The pressure is high in managers to succeed at KPIs, staff are constantly cut, no support from upper management. Working on the floor is fast paced and rewarding however upper management pressure means that the stress travels down and staff will frequently call in sick due to poor workplace. Work life balance as a store manager is almost nil, phone is constantly called and shifts need to be covered often end up covered by the manager. Shifts will frequently exceed the 13 hour maximum and then barely 8 hours break before the next one.

Pros

High salary

Cons

Long hours, no work life

Ughhh

Great if you like a fast pace environment and don’t mind spending hours stacking shelves. You always need to find something to do. Pay is above award however you do work hard for those extra couple of dollars an hour. Management can be soul sucking and issues seem to be swept under the rug. It really depends on your team.Would recommend for robots.

Pros

Good pay for retail

Cons

No real work/home balance, unrealistic expectations, stressful

Don’t apply for this role - soul crushing

The salary and free car is very attractive but it was not worth working for Aldi. Bullying is commonplace, working 18 hours a day the expectation, taking sick days is a taboo and an extremely competitive culture. No support for learning and development. Senior management have the titles of managers, but are not leaders. This job was soul crushing and compromised my mental health.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Too many to list

Very bad work environment

I've been working with Aldi for five years. One of the worst employers, management has no idea. Very toxic place to work, I'm leaving because I don't want to go to work anymore. Keep away from Aldi.

Pros

Cons

To many rules, pay your workers properly

Goodluck

They don't care about you, or if your being spoke to unprofessionally from management and team leaders. They won't follow up which is a shame. They are so negative and impatient with customers and it shows in their attitude, no customer service by majority of the staff.

Pros

Pay, good hours

Cons

Management unorganised, negative attitude from management and team leaders

Fast Paced workplace

Fast paced workplace but a fun place to work as you have to do everything that you need to do at a supermarket. Jobs including shelf refill, customer service, ware house and inventory management and so many other things need to be done at Aldi.

Still in recovery from this job

It’s taken me a few years to be able to write this review because working for Aldi in their upper management was truly one of the most traumatic experiences of my life. Management operates within an autocratic, toxic space that favours empty suits who just want to see a big pay check at the end of every month. I am truly convinced that anyone with a slither of personality or an ounce of ethics is unsuitable for a management role with ALDI. This extends from Store Managers up to Directors. If you are someone who will work ridiculous hours each week for an above-industry paycheck, and happily lose your soul in the process this job is for you. Toxic corporate culture on steroids.

Pros

Salary and benefits

Cons

Literally everything else

Very challenging and not for the faint hearted, weak or lazy people. Always on the go

Certainly a very challenging job. You need the strength to run loads at required amount of minutes per pallet.. not for the faint hearted. Team work is a must to work together to accomplish daily task

Pros

Pay is great

Cons

Dealing with crazy customers are frustrating

You get out what you put in

Tough job physically and mentally but is genuine, rewarding and caring towards staff. Culture differs widely from store to store - good stores are worth their weight (or mass?) in gold!!!

Pros

Always busy and lots of opportunity to meet fantastic internal and external stakeholders

overworked and understaffed

the place does pay slightly higher than most other food retail places, wouldn't recommend working there for more than a year. is a useful tool to help you save up, but that amount of work and lack of work life balance isn't healthy long term

Four years amazing, 18 months horrible

I’ve been there 5 1/2 years, the first 4 were amazing, best job I’ve ever had, pride in workplace, amazing team and job satisfaction.Last year or so, horrible. Covid hit, we weren’t receiving specials but they kept advertising them, limiting customers but they are trying to bring in huge crowds with air fryers. Zero communication from Aldi to customers AND staff makes irate customers taking it out on store staff.Now workload is increased, less staff on each shift and less hours in a day to do the work.Area manager does not care about workers at all, don’t care if you get injured due to unobtainable time given to do tasks.Have actually said it’s cheaper for an employee to get injured then a customer. Encourage double handling which will wreck your back.They have gone downhill so fast in employee satisfaction.Taken away the right to have a months worth of rosters in advance, now only allowed one week.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Head office, warehouse and area manager

Most incompassionate place I've ever worked!

I always wanted a job at Aldi, so I was extremely excited when I commenced employment there. Since I started working there I noticed most managers and even staff are not as supportive as they make it to be. I felt extremely overworked and overlooked as an employee not only from fellow staff but also from senior management. Some managers are extremely rude and incompassionate. There were occasions where I would call in sick for work, and instead of being advised to seek medical help, I would be asked very rudely "What is wrong with me" by my senior manager. This is one of the many unfair experiences I had working for Aldi.

Pros

Received Aldi Gift cards during pandemic

Cons

Rude, lazy, inconsiderate workplace

Fun place where any one want to be and flexible

Easy place to communicate with ne wee people and get experience about fast working in a busy hours .Good management and help each other to overcome any problem

Pros

Fast working ability which makes more confident

Cons

Whoever outlasts gets the promotion

Great salary and benefits but no room for any thought or creativity in the role. Subservience is valued over thinking for yourself. Be prepared to clean freezers with a toothbrush in your suit and tie and working up to an 18 hour day (in extreme cases). A culture of presenteeism rather than efficiency which is very strange for a German company. If you are quite happy being a work horse, given specific tasks and constantly referring to a book for how to approach every situation without any personality, then this could be for you.

Pros

Great salary and benefits

Cons

Management culture of presenteeism, vs efficient and effective work practices. Bullying culture in some Area Managers

Amazing DC

My experience working in Australia is around four years in Logistics area as a supervisor responsible for training and organizing all employees to work in the logistics and supply chain industry. Started a project and develop an android app, a product destined to management, organize and planning all the work ambient known as "Second Mind" recognizing any information added or modified and automatically update this information to the system.

Great pay, everything else terrible.

I worked as a warehouse operator at the Stapylton DC.Pay was great.Most incompetent management I've ever seen in a DC. No organization, poor communication, no traffic management, little enforcement of safety practices and practically no training.I also experienced bullying from management and other staff.If you are new to the workforce, and can keep your head down without voicing any concerns then this is a job for you. The moment you become less than an ideal worker, they look for ways to get rid of you. If you have ever worked in a professional warehouse environment then this place will frustrate you incredibly.

Pros

Great pay

Cons

Bullying, No training, incompetent management

Working for Aldi

Would never work for Aldi again, they had a very bad probation scheme. After the The first review they wanted me to improve on certain areas but they were always coming off rude to me if I did something wrong etc. They made me feel insecure and ended up getting anxiety every time I went to work which has never happened to me. The manager had bipolar issuers as one minute she would like you the next she wouldn’t. (The whole team would say this) Although at the time they would say they are there to help and be really nice to my face but in reality it was a mainly girls team and they were all competing against each other trying to be the best. Very unhealthy and toxic. Basically if your struggling they will set you up for failure. They don’t want to see you get better you just have to be perfect when you first start. I ended up finding a new job which I’m very happy with. But I’m sure this isn’t every ALDI store.

Pros

Salary...

Cons

Bad managers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALDI. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2K
2.3K
1.9K
1.1K
1.3K

• ALDI
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?